Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kenning posted:

Nature is healing.

I think the clip clearly shows nature is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bug Squash posted:

That makes ostriches and other pinhead flightless birds regrowing a penis make sense, and ducks regrowing one except extra large and cumbersome make even less sense.

Evolutionary three leg race

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

x

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

idgi

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
it says "do not reproduce this textbook"

but the Banach-Tarski paradox is that the axiom of choice is equivalent to the ability to chop an object into finitely many pieces and reassemble them into two copies of the object

(okay nerds, yes, you can use something weaker than the axiom of choice, but that's not relevant here)

e: oh that's why it says "didn't graduate texts"! I get it now.

DACK FAYDEN has a new favorite as of 18:22 on May 17, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach%E2%80%93Tarski_paradox

quote:

The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set-theoretic geometry, which states the following: Given a solid ball in three-dimensional space, there exists a decomposition of the ball into a finite number of disjoint subsets, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball. Indeed, the reassembly process involves only moving the pieces around and rotating them without changing their shape. However, the pieces themselves are not "solids" in the usual sense, but infinite scatterings of points. The reconstruction can work with as few as five pieces.[1]

An alternate form of the theorem states that given any two "reasonable" solid objects (such as a small ball and a huge ball), the cut pieces of either one can be reassembled into the other. This is often stated informally as "a pea can be chopped up and reassembled into the Sun" and called the "pea and the Sun paradox".

So the joke is that the book is clearly reproducible according to the Banach-Tarski paradox. Someone who didn't graduate in maths wouldn't know this, so the note would fool them...

e;fb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is why mathematics exists, to capture people with ideas like that and stop them doing anything that might cause damage to themselves or others.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Leon Sumbitches posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach%E2%80%93Tarski_paradox

So the joke is that the book is clearly reproducible according to the Banach-Tarski paradox. Someone who didn't graduate in maths wouldn't know this, so the note would fool them...

e;fb

Hence me not getting the joke.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You have no clue what you're talking about.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

OwlFancier posted:

This is why mathematics exists, to capture people with ideas like that and stop them doing anything that might cause damage to themselves or others.

:hmmyes:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Math is stupid and I hate it

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I always think it's easier to explain Banach-Tarski as "you can describe five 3d shapes which, arranged one way, fit together to make a solid sphere, and arranged another way, fit together to make two such spheres." The description of cutting a sphere up is cute to mathematicians but misleading to nonmathematicians because it suggests the kind of shape that you can physically cut.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is empirically false. I can not describe such a thing.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

OwlFancier posted:

This did not work on Ted K. PhD, mathematics professor

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mauser posted:

This did not work on Ted K. PhD, mathematics professor

I feel like his other work was largely unrelated to his mathematical proclivities. He didn't try to reassemble buildings into copies of themselves.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jokes are like frogs. If you have to break them down into an infinite number of points and separate them into equal pieces then rearrange the pieces, you understand how it's funny, but it kind of ruins it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mauser posted:

This did not work on Ted K. PhD, mathematics professor [1]

[1]Better known for his other work.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

math is never funny except the seven ate nine joke that poo poo is hilarious

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Math is literally just formalized reading comprehension

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I can see why that guy went into the woods to live in a cabin and bomb people. loving MATHS.

funny picture unrelated

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Barometer posted:

I can see why that guy went into the woods to live in a cabin and bomb people. loving MATHS.

funny picture unrelated

He is a highly skilled Train, and what he most can't the least, would be do not a bad job, but always a good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Q: What's a good anagram for Banach-Tarski?

A: Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Leon Sumbitches posted:

[1]Better known for his other work.

for those who have not seen it, this comes from this paper

https://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366v2.pdf

sometimes i tell people about a polish american mathematician named theodore who only authored 6 papers, but became so well known he once had a paper published in the washington post

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can maths explain this?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

the inverse of the double poo poo experiment

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

i'm just a normal dork, but i can explain this.

dude pissed on the back of a closed seat

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

man pissed so hard he was blown backwards

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

fluid dynamics is just extra fancy maths, so yes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

yeah that's roughly what our bathroom floor looks like every time my 5yo has been in there

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreudianSlippers posted:

But why did seven eat nine?

Because you're supposed to eat three square meals a day.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Splicer posted:

But why did seven eat nine?

Because you're supposed to eat three square meals a day.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

LMAO its true 🤣🤣🤣

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Brum?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Paladinus posted:

Can maths explain this?

It took math to make a nuclear pissbomb, and the pissblast shadow shown here certainly is surely a byproduct of some math wizzards, so yes.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

DandyLion posted:

It took math to make a nuclear pissbomb, and the pissblast shadow shown here certainly is surely a byproduct of some math wizzards, so yes.

*whizzards

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Real ad in a 1981 Dragon magazine issue: