Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Next big content patch on May 18th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Warden posted:

Next big content patch on May 18th.

How is the game and it's progression towards 1.0?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Drewjitsu posted:

How is the game and it's progression towards 1.0?

So far? Still only one 'chapter' out of 5 (each is likely to represent different stages of grief). Heroes have 'paths' they can start with which help specialize them in a direction. Dens introduced new enemies and a reward item that can be redeemed for mastery points I think. They tuned skills a bit and made a few somewhat better in their default form, and tweaked affinity barks to make hate spirals less common. Inn items are a little more transparent in what they do by listing the % chance to proc effects when consumed.

It's fun but once you've hit level 50, unlocked all the hero skills, and beaten the boss multiple times it gets a little boring. I'm looking forward to a new hero they will release hopefully soon (Bounty Hunter likely).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Panfilo posted:

So far? Still only one 'chapter' out of 5

I feel like I'm doing the right thing by sleeping on this game for a while (a few years?) longer. I think I started playing darkest dungeon pretty early in its early access, but it was at least feature complete when I did.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mymla posted:

I feel like I'm doing the right thing by sleeping on this game for a while (a few years?) longer. I think I started playing darkest dungeon pretty early in its early access, but it was at least feature complete when I did.
Honestly I don't know how much more content overall is yet to be released. In terms of biomes, roster, mechanics etc a majority of it is already available. I've long questioned how different the other chapters will be because we already have 3.5 biomes and 9 out of 12 playable heroes. So if you compare it to EA Darkest Dungeon 1 it's comparable. Given that the passage of time is kind of fucky in the story it could be 5 variations of the same overall journey we have now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It's November that it comes over to steam, right?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.darkestdungeon.com/news/darkest-dungeon-ii-the-shroud-of-the-deep
out on the Experimental branch on EGS for now

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I hope it hits the main branch soon, those changes are massive and very welcome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm looking forward to the proposed changes to difficulty scaling. -10% starting hp really won't hurt already squishy heroes particularly since enemies are nerfed in the first area. And making it easier to evade fights mean you're more likely to survive to the next inn if you have a man down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monster base HP and damage -20% to start and then ramping up to like, 80% more as it goes on for champion-tier enemies could be a pretty good shift for the starting areas.

The overall hero HP going -10% but being able to go well beyond the original base HP with food also is a pretty good shift. You'll be able to easily get those buffs past the first area now with the monster debuffs there.

"Combo Tokens now last for an additional round; this change affects Heroes and monsters alike" is a pretty big one hidden down the list; I feel like this will make certain monsters a bit more urgent to fight but it will also benefit a lot of team constructions a LOT. The Combo system is one that's been tinkered with a lot for these past few patches and I think focusing on it for DD2 is a good thing---it is one of the defining features that separates it from DD1 and really hammers home how this game wants synergy between characters, whether it's from finishing combos or getting heals/buffs from correctly interacting with each other.

Really hoping Bounty Hunter is the hero we see soon. He's a decent middle-of-the-road guy who was able to contribute in a lot of ways in DD1 and could easily see him slotting in as a character that has a lot of "finishers" to combos as well as setting them up with his tracker marks and hook.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
While I like the additions, I still kinda feel like the coach segments take a bit too long.

Also, losing to the Brain because it gets in a loop where the only surviving lock does nothing but spam denial of arms when your only surviving party members are all melee characters, after THREE HOURS of amazing play, feels really bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It sucks if you had went in blind and that happened, but in the future it's important to diversify. Highwayman and Grave Robber both have melee/ranged skills they can use from multiple positions.

I try to kill the heal blocking lock first, then the melee blocking one first.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The new final boss of Chapter 2 feels impossible. After a few failed attempts to fight it, I got there with a party tuned to defeat it (Hellion, Grave Robber, Man-at-Arms, Occultist), they all love each other, have great trinkets, multiple upgraded skills, and I got wiped out before destroying a third of it. Has anyone managed to beat it, and how?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Stack up move resist, the grab tests for move resist and if high enough you won't get yoinked. I focus on the hand so I don't have to deal with it battering my heroes. Milk soaked bandages /holy water is also useful for clearing off blind and other debuffs.

The trophy primarily benefits Bleed teams so it's mainly worth going after if you had Hellion, Highwayman, Jester, and Plague Doctor.

If you had a tough time vs this boss, I have had news about the Seething Sigh :ohdear:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Chamale posted:

The new final boss of Chapter 2 feels impossible. After a few failed attempts to fight it, I got there with a party tuned to defeat it (Hellion, Grave Robber, Man-at-Arms, Occultist), they all love each other, have great trinkets, multiple upgraded skills, and I got wiped out before destroying a third of it. Has anyone managed to beat it, and how?

I beat it with Highwayman, Leper, Jester, and Plague Doctor. The Highwayman had a starting role that increased his damage by 50% in Rank 1 and decrease it by 50% in rank 3 and 4. I used the Dreaming General's head on my stagecoach which immobilizes your entire party. My combat items were 2x healing salve, 1x triage kit, 1x triage kit, and 4x laudanum.

I just nuked the lung in Rank 1 with the Highwayman while trying to keep Blind and Combo on the body. I've only fought the boss once, so I' don't know all of it's mechanics but dealing sufficient damage to the lungs will get rid of the token they apply to themselves reducing the AoE damage and the amount of blind it inflicts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh right, the final boss I misread And thought you were talking about Leviathan.

I think the main threat is the right lung, because few heroes have good anti rank 4 direct damage attacks. It's also important to know that even if you kill the left lung the boss doesn't 'move forward' like typical enemy groups do.

If you're lucky, you'll get a lot of Shallow Breaths that only inflate the left lung which is easier to deal with. One challenge is that the lungs are immune to DoT (though the main body is susceptible).

I think I beat it with warlock occultist, surgeon Plague Doctor, Highwayman and ravager Hellion. My method was to use Iron Swan which has the +50% dmg from Ravager on the right lung, as well as abyssal artillery/pistol shots if need be. Note the right lung has less hp than the left one, so while it's harder to reach it can't take as much punishment.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I'm just getting into this. It's a lot of fun! I'm loving terrible at it, but that's part of the journey, baby.

Without getting too heavy on the spoilers, is there a cheat sheet anywhere in the thread on which quirks are best/which trinkets are effective/whatever other miscellaneous bullshit might matter in terms of building and equipping my parties? I'm cheerfully shoveling cartloads of people into hell on a trial-and-error basis, which I don't mind, but some general rules of thumb would be good to cut down on the, uh, inefficiencies involved with figuring it all out.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's really a lot of trial and error, you will lose a lot of characters in the beginning.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I'm just getting into this. It's a lot of fun! I'm loving terrible at it, but that's part of the journey, baby.

Without getting too heavy on the spoilers, is there a cheat sheet anywhere in the thread on which quirks are best/which trinkets are effective/whatever other miscellaneous bullshit might matter in terms of building and equipping my parties? I'm cheerfully shoveling cartloads of people into hell on a trial-and-error basis, which I don't mind, but some general rules of thumb would be good to cut down on the, uh, inefficiencies involved with figuring it all out.

I'd say the most important stats are Scouting, ACC, and Deathblow Resist. Adding Dodge is best on characters that already have a high Dodge stat, and adding PROT is best on characters with a high PROT stat. Any obsession, or craving, etc is very bad and you should remove that trait immediately.

Slightly spoilery tip on collecting a lot of treasure: Always carry a key with you and save it for the treasure chest in secret rooms.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Speed and accuracy are the most important stats, followed by scouting chance. The most problematic enemies early are speedsters applying stress, so you either want your lockdown to outspeed them or gang up on them for a one round kill before they can do much damage. Battle Ballad (Jester AOE buff) and Bellow (MAA AOE debuff) are simple ways to manipulate these stats early, but combat order is determined at the start of each turn so speed changes don't take effect until the turn after they're applied. Scouting chance will let you make informed decisions about your pathing (if you're low on resources and almost done, it's nice to know which path leads to an empty curio for a free finish or two hallway battles that could wipe you) and prevent you from being ambushed by enemies. Maximize your scouting chances by entering unexplored rooms at maximum light levels.

You can change your available combat and camping skills at any time outside of combat (or when not camping, for the latter).

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Good tips, y'all, thanks for the help. Scouting is a lifesaver--I have been zigzagging dungeons like a motherfucker--and accuracy is definitely a necessary for Veteran and above.

I'm just gearing up to tackle the DD proper. Any non-spoiler tips for how to get started in there?

E: I guess my real question is what kind of group to slap together/what kind of damage to bring. Can I bring my big lovable dipshit Leper along, or is it gonna be a bunch of Shamblers loving up my party order and making me look stupid?

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Good tips, y'all, thanks for the help. Scouting is a lifesaver--I have been zigzagging dungeons like a motherfucker--and accuracy is definitely a necessary for Veteran and above.

I'm just gearing up to tackle the DD proper. Any non-spoiler tips for how to get started in there?

E: I guess my real question is what kind of group to slap together/what kind of damage to bring. Can I bring my big lovable dipshit Leper along, or is it gonna be a bunch of Shamblers loving up my party order and making me look stupid?
I wouldn't recommend Leper for DD1. Most of the enemies are harder versions of Champion difficulty cultists. You don't need keys or shovels for any of the final missions. The maps are fixed and not random, and I don't think hallway encounters respawn. Remember that you will lose a random hero or two if you flee the dungeon on these, and any hero that enters will refuse to do another darkest dungeon tier dungeon afterwards. So try to have sixteen maxed out heroes you can form into 4 teams total.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Non-spoilery hints of who you want for each dungeon:

Darkest Dungeon 1: Your party will get shuffled a lot. Don't bring the Leper, Plague Doctor, or Antiquarian.

Darkest Dungeon 2: You absolutely need a Houndmaster or Man-At-Arms with a Talisman of Flame. Also, Occultist, Arbalest, Abomination, Bounty Hunter, Jester.

Darkest Dungeon 3: Good camping abilities are important, and some abilities that attack the back rank. Plague Doctor, Leper, Occultist, Vestal, Jester, Abomination, Hellion, Houndmaster.

Darkest Dungeon 4: High-damage frontline characters are good here. All your characters should be prepared for shuffle effects, but this fight is not as bad as the last two. Hellion, Crusader, Highwayman, Leper, Vestal.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Leper fuckin owns and you'd should always bring one

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5klCVbhoOZo

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Crusader is a really good choice for DD1 because the boss is 3 wide so he can hit it hard no matter what position he gets shuffled to, his low speed matters a lot less in long fights where you aren’t bursting the targets down in a few rounds, and he has a heal to pop people off death’s door in an emergency.

Do NOT kill the priest first. The boss will summon something even worse if you do.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Good looking out, appreciate it.

Field Mousepad posted:

Having my leper crit people for 60+ damage and say cryptic poo poo about rain has been a core strategy.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Trip report: Man, it is loving MEAN in that there dungeon. The carelessness-to-clemency ratio is not generous. Almost immediately lost my only Hellion to a Masochistic freakout, despite Heaven's Hairpin and a truly relentless string of crits--I legit think she critted every single attack in that dungeon--and while I managed to limp her to the Shuffler, she turned down one too many heals and died like two turns before I wrapped things up. Then, a week later, this dude named Vvulf showed up and reaped an Occultist before my BH managed to polish him off.

In conclusion, this game is brutal as gently caress and I dig it. What's up with the sequel? I gather people are somehow playing it already?

E: Also, I'm guessing I should be planning around a shitload of stress in the other DD ventures. Any thoughts on how to handle that? I'm hesitant to bring a Jester along to something that punishing, but I also just kind of suck, so not sure what the best move for me would be.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 18, 2022

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Jester isn't bad as long as it's not a dungeon where the monsters have tons of bleed resistance. And you can always run a finale build with him too.

Crusader and huntsman also have a stress heal.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

A new patch just came out, it looks like it adds more paths for each character and has some numbers tweaks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Monarch path for Leper is no good. I suppose with uncommon seashell you can pop Intimidate for the taunt/weaken/vulnerable/combo token, but frankly Ritualist Occultist does this better. Both Tempest and Poet were so decent it is hard to kludge in a third path that would be comparable. Simple Flower on Poet would rock- it gives you dodge/block tokens when you resist move/stun attacks, and poet path is essentially immune to those status afflictions by design.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Not to suck my own dick too much over Something That Happened In A Video Game--though obviously I am--but just managed to beat the champion Fanatic and Shambler in back to back fights. I put together GR-HWM-SB-Flag to go Fanatic hunting, and got lucky on a scout that showed two fights in the same hallway, which I took to be my cue. Popped a camp to go in fresh and buffed for the Fanatic and, lo and behold, there was the Shambler shrine one tile past the fight. Turns out that party is pretty good for both bosses. Shambler dropped the map, which is frankly kinda eh at this point in the campaign, and the Fanatic gave me jack poo poo of any value, apart from dying like a big stupid nerd. It's the principle of the thing.

On a related note, the reason I was Fanatic-fishing to begin with was that he'd wiped an entire veteran crew a couple weeks prior, and I'm a petty bitch who took it personal. I lost a few trinkets I'd love to see again, and not having the Ancestor's Pen to throw crits around stings my pride. Is there any way to recover the trinkets from a full party death? Or did I kinda gently caress myself going all blood and glory the first time around?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Is there any way to recover the trinkets from a full party death? Or did I kinda gently caress myself going all blood and glory the first time around?

There's a special event/encounter that can give you back lost trickets: it's the shrieker aka Big Bird

To get it to spawn I'm pretty sure you need to lose at least 8 trinkets though... which a party wipe will probably accomplish heh

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 22, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

There's a special event/encounter that can give you back lost trickets: it's the shrieker aka Big Bird

To get it to spawn I'm pretty sure you need to lose at least 8 trinkets though... which a party wipe will probably accomplish heh

drat. I already fried that dude's eggs, so unless it's repeatable it sounds like I'm screwed. I guess you could say I was a bit...overconfident.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Listen, I'll keep it real here: I know nobody really plays this game or reads this thread any more, but I live a very empty, unfulfilling life, so I'm still gonna post whenever cool poo poo happens in my videogame. And that's showbiz, baby.

Stumbled, thrashed, and hosed up through all the DD missions, so playthrough one is a wrap. The last boss straight murdering two dudes was an unpleasant surprise. RIP Dismas and RIP Thunderbear, a mighty Leper and the only dude I ever bothered to name or customize in any way--sometimes, we have to make choices we wish we didn't. May the satisfaction of a job well done ease the sting of burning in Hell for all time.

First Stygian attempt was a scratch before I got too far into the Veteran dungeons, but the second go is pretty smooth so far. Actually knowing what the gently caress I'm doing is helpful. What's up with the sequel? I gather people have been playing early access and poo poo?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Listen, I'll keep it real here: I know nobody really plays this game or reads this thread any more, but I live a very empty, unfulfilling life, so I'm still gonna post whenever cool poo poo happens in my videogame. And that's showbiz, baby.

Stumbled, thrashed, and hosed up through all the DD missions, so playthrough one is a wrap. The last boss straight murdering two dudes was an unpleasant surprise. RIP Dismas and RIP Thunderbear, a mighty Leper and the only dude I ever bothered to name or customize in any way--sometimes, we have to make choices we wish we didn't. May the satisfaction of a job well done ease the sting of burning in Hell for all time.

First Stygian attempt was a scratch before I got too far into the Veteran dungeons, but the second go is pretty smooth so far. Actually knowing what the gently caress I'm doing is helpful. What's up with the sequel? I gather people have been playing early access and poo poo?

Sequel is a miss, in my opinion. Early access still, sure, but unless they drastically change huge elements of the core gameplay, it'll never hit the highs of DDI. I think they forgot what made it special.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

drat. I already fried that dude's eggs, so unless it's repeatable it sounds like I'm screwed. I guess you could say I was a bit...overconfident.

It is repeatable, I’m pretty sure. If you’re not getting it I think that means your number of lost trinkets is less than 8 currently.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Sequel is a miss, in my opinion. Early access still, sure, but unless they drastically change huge elements of the core gameplay, it'll never hit the highs of DDI. I think they forgot what made it special.

That really sucks, because I dig the hell out of dd1.
:smith:

Still, I'll probably pick it up when it hits steam. Hopefully they can salvage it between now and then

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've been waiting for a new character to drop before playing again but I haven't seen much about what's next in quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would argue the sequel is a net improvement over the first game.

The most controversial change (besides Epic exclusive early access release) is that instead of Hamlet management you have a Slay the Spire type Roguelike. But aside from that everything is a step up-the visuals, combat, hero skills, trinkets, etc.

There's less opportunity cost in deaths as you can start a run anew and build them up much faster. The sequel is much less grindy overall.