Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Demiurge4 posted:

My impression is that the Valheim devs fell prey to the usual EA success fallacy. They made a ton of money and started hiring a ton of people, then had to spend a year training those people and doing various admin related stuff which has culminated in not much at all being released. I'd say it's 50/50 if they release a huge content pack or fold up, but they've spent a ton of money and probably have already sold most of the copies they ever will.

Having played Valheim all the way up to the last implemented boss, I honestly think it would have been great if they just capped off the game (which was honestly an exceptionally fun, multi-hour journey well worth the price of admission) and said "Valheim 2 coming out in a couple of years. See you later, vikings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
All I want from Valheim is a toggle when creating a world that lets me turn off the raids. I know. I know. But having an actual clickable button to just say "please don't force me to dig a ridiculous moat around my base to avoid a bunch of stupid boring busywork".

I love the combat in that game it's really fun. I just want to do it when I want to do it and not randomly while I'm trying to perfectly place the 250th roof piece of my stupidly over the top house.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
In defense of Valheim, it was already pretty fun on initial EA release and blew most other survival games out of the water. And it looks like developement is still chugging along, so good for them imo. For it also being their debut game, I'd count it as a success.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm honestly more intersted in seeing how Valheim affects the future of the genre. They made a lot of smart choices like not trying to be hyper-realistic and focusing on actual gameplay mechanics. Free repair for structures and weapons and not having weapons break and need to be replaced was also an excellent choice.

Actually I think just that in general lead to me having way more fun with Valheim because instead of making a 600th metal axe or repairing my decaying base I could devote those resources to building all kinds of other poo poo like roads and waystations and docks and encampments in other parts of the world.

Also building in teleportation as fast travel and restricting metal to overland travel was also an actually interesting idea that made the game way more fun, compared to other games in the genre where those kinds of things are usually top tech tier items that 90% of casual players never even see.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Some more hype for V Rising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3X3r2jDwA&t=191s

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I always thought it'd be cool to have various characters with different objectives based on how they got caught up in the disaster. A guy wakes up at the crash site in Pleasant Valley with an objective to get to the coast and collect enough coal to sail a boat out, a guy wakes up in a crashed car in Crumbling Highway and has to make it to Mountain Town to find out what happened to his family, that sort of thing.

Yeah, like a combination of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead starts and Prey: Mooncrash. I really, really hope they see the light and implement something like that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My subnautica story is I never finished it because I never got the thing that lets you build ship modules. I am loaded with modules and no way to construct them.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, like a combination of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead starts and Prey: Mooncrash. I really, really hope they see the light and implement something like that.

do we have a v rising thread setup yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Not a big fan of EA games with DLC already :shrug:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
From watching streams of people playing v rising, I feel like the mining and logging animations seem kinda lacking. The character just "attacks" the metal nodes or trees like it's just another enemy. It sounds very weird, but for me, in those kinds of games, a big part of my enjoyment depends on how good mining and gathering feels.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MarcusSA posted:

Not a big fan of EA games with DLC already :shrug:
Good lord, for a second I thought you were talking about V Rising and got really worried.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vib Rib posted:

Good lord, for a second I thought you were talking about V Rising and got really worried.
They were? 40 bucks of cosmetic DLC. Or am I missing :thejoke:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does this count as a survival game? https://worldseed.eu/game

It's a weird one. The world resets every hour (but you keep all your stuff, crafting recipes, storage, etc.), it has RPG grind and grow mechanics, but it's all gear, there's no levels or XP. And a lot of the high level gameplay seems to center around finding stuff on the shifting map, but since everyone shares the same seed, they can link good spots and gear in the chat and you can teleport there when you're high enough level.

e: also I really like tin can! But I've on two separate occasions had the ship get jolted and the manual disappears. Like not dropped on the ground, maybe it went through the wall or something, it's just gone.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 18, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
V Rising is pretty rough. There are lots and lots of pretty gamebreaking bugs. The siege window/castle protection system just flat out doesn't work. I hopped off for an hour and came back to my castle ripped open and my chests cleaned out.

Lots of resurrection, combat, unable to loot bugs.

Very obnoxious gaps in progression which require a lot of grinding to get rng drops to progress.

The biggest issue though is the map layout and how you more or less have to build in the forest at first then move elsewhere later. To get the powers and recipes you need to progress, you will be hoofing it back and forth across the forest for quite a few hours. You'll need to build/crafts thing in between and track bosses for abilities so you can't really spread out at first unless you intend on only popping into the forest to get the ability and pick up zero loot while at it. Teleports don't let you take resources through so if you get anything you want to keep while farming the bosses, you are manually hoofing it to base. So the forest is loving swarming with castles. Every player/group on the server will litter the forest with castles. This makes for an incredibly lovely early game especially due to the lack of working siege protection.

There are some good parts too. The game does look good. I can't think of another overhead full camera control game I've seen in years that looks and plays pretty well. The blood quality system is very unique and gives some fun variety and a minigame. Building a castle is pretty good overall but very grindy and progresses slowly.

It's a cool concept and if you have a 4-man group that wants to play very hard, you could find some fun but there is a whole lot of jank.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 18, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I just had a fun 90 minutes or so playing solo. The vampire coat of paint is enough for me to enjoy another of these survival-buildy games.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Lawlicaust posted:

V Rising is pretty rough. There are lots and lots of pretty gamebreaking bugs. The siege window/castle protection system just flat out doesn't work. I hopped off for an hour and came back to my castle ripped open and my chests cleaned out.
Was it during siege hours? Did you build stone walls? Palisade walls aren't very expensive to break into.

Haven't really run into any obvious combat, etc bugs yet personally.

Day 1 on full pvp was a bloodbath.

E: Seems like the castle timer doesn't turn off yeah.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 18, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im enjoying V Rising but im also playing solo offline with some slightly tweaked server settings because i hate playing these kinds of games with randos. no idea why any of you would put yourselves through that ordeal tbh.

btw, if you're gonna play solo offline, uncheck the setting that prevents you from teleporting with resources.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How does multiplayer in V Rising work? Can you start playing in singeplayer and go online with that character when you're ready, or is it like a separate server and you need to start a new character?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Away all Goats posted:

How does multiplayer in V Rising work? Can you start playing in singeplayer and go online with that character when you're ready, or is it like a separate server and you need to start a new character?

characters are tied to the server they're made on

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wtf even is this game I've never heard of before now, and why on earth did it apparently need to be some kind of mmo/service game poo poo?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i have no idea how you got the idea that its an mmo at all when you can literally host a server for a few friends or play by yourself offline, its literally the same server setup as conan exiles or rust or ark

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Splicer posted:

They were? 40 bucks of cosmetic DLC. Or am I missing :thejoke:

It’s framed as “if you want to support them more”, which seems fair enough.

ShootaBoy posted:

Wtf even is this game I've never heard of before now, and why on earth did it apparently need to be some kind of mmo/service game poo poo?

It’s really not at all as far as I see? Not sure where you are getting that from. I think it’s no more an MMO than Rust is, and can be PVE. It’s by the developers of bloodline champion and battle rite, which both had really good combat but was a tough format to play/didn’t really succeed. I’m excited to play a game by them which isn’t in the 3v3 pvp style.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
how would you know what a game "needs" to be if you've never heard of it

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ShadowMar posted:

i have no idea how you got the idea that its an mmo at all when you can literally host a server for a few friends or play by yourself offline, its literally the same server setup as conan exiles or rust or ark

Probably all the talk about a map clogged with players and their bases and having to load it offline to play alone. Always online game seemingly focused around other players.

Sounds like an mmo or otherwise adjacent neverending online game to me. Especially when that's the sum total of my exposure to it, at all.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 18, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
you're being very aggressive about this game

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It feels like more of a Rust type deal with the online aspect.

I played a bit this morning and it seems fun. There's character progression which is based on gear and V upgrades you get from certain bosses. You lose your inventory on death but retain your equipped gear, which seems to include your hotbar but I think if you play on the hardcore servers you also lose your gear on death. I built a wooden hovel in the starting forest and got invaded by two skull level players shortly after that wrecked the place and killed me, this seems par for the course in this type of game, with the newbie zone hopelessly overrun. Hopefully they increase the size of the starting zone to account for it.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Probably all the talk about a map clogged with players and their bases and having to load it offline to play alone. Always online game seemingly focused around other players.

Sounds like an mmo or otherwise adjacent neverending online game to me. Especially when that's the sum total of my exposure to it, at all.

It's just a multiplayer game

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

minecraft is an mmo now, you heard it here first

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
There are only MMOs and Tetris, which is also an MMO.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
many mshapes ofalling

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ShadowMar posted:

im enjoying V Rising but im also playing solo offline with some slightly tweaked server settings because i hate playing these kinds of games with randos. no idea why any of you would put yourselves through that ordeal tbh.

btw, if you're gonna play solo offline, uncheck the setting that prevents you from teleporting with resources.

Yeah, the lack of working castle timers, way over populated starting area, and teleportation restrictions makes the “official” servers not very good. Just seems like a massive pain in the rear end.

Lot of ideas all thrown into a blender here with some really good things but they don’t all go together well.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this the sort of game that would work with a small group on a private server, or is the pvp crucial

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Varinn posted:

this the sort of game that would work with a small group on a private server, or is the pvp crucial

You can play with a small group on a private server. The game is definitely designed with PvP in mind but there’s nothing mandatory about it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i've only killed a few of the early bosses in v rising but they do seem to have some actual boss fight mechanics to them and a bunch of them have had additional attacks they pull out when they get low on health. the combat gets pretty fun once you unlock some abilities you like. killing all of them seems like it'll a fun goal for PvE. plus you could tweak the server settings to make them even harder.

the survival mechanics are also pretty fun to deal with, enemies have different types of blood like "Rogue" or "Creature" that give you different buffs and the strength/amount of buffs is based on the enemy's blood quality which is a randomly determined percent. feeding on an enemy fills up your blood meter that slowly drains over time and will start killing you if it hits 0. you can also actively use up your blood meter to heal yourself after a fight.

the main thing is that, feeding on an enemy will always change your blood type and quality to the new one you just fed on which means if you have a really high blood quality, you'll probably want to delay feeding again until you really can't delay any longer to make full use of its strength.

relatedly, some fun tech i found: canceling feeding on an enemy will kill the enemy instantly but without filling your blood meter or changing your blood type, and it seems like the directional dash you do after canceling a feeding might have some very slight iframes. even if it doesn't, its a good way to take care of problematic enemies a quicker than killing them normally since the low health trigger that allows you to feed on an enemy is usually still several more attacks worth of health versus an instant kill.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 18, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

moonmazed posted:

you're being very aggressive about this game

I mean I get it. I'm looking at video of a game that looks very much like diablo and people are telling me its a survival game and that certainly triggers a significant amount of "get the gently caress off my porch you kids" reflex, but I'm not in here posting about it. It's hard for me to fit what's going on in the videos to "survival game" in my head.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean I get it. I'm looking at video of a game that looks very much like diablo and people are telling me its a survival game and that certainly triggers a significant amount of "get the gently caress off my porch you kids" reflex, but I'm not in here posting about it. It's hard for me to fit what's going on in the videos to "survival game" in my head.

The survival aspects are that you have to constantly feed to stay alive (every 20 minutes or so) and that you build a castle that you have to upkeep by feeding blood to it. And a lot of the other general survival game progression and building.

I really enjoy the world design, combat system, and most of the mechanics overall. The map design, travel systems, and confusion around progression/grindiness just really negatively impacts the experience.

All things that would be easy to solve with a private server.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there a reason to build a castle, or is it "throw it up and then feed it blood because candles look nice"

In survival games I tend to go more for the "live in a poo poo shack and travel the world" angle which is probably why games like Viking Minecraft never really appealed to me much.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a reason to build a castle, or is it "throw it up and then feed it blood because candles look nice"

In survival games I tend to go more for the "live in a poo poo shack and travel the world" angle which is probably why games like Viking Minecraft never really appealed to me much.

You have to build it to progress. Many recipes are tied to quests that require you to build buildings do research, etc. You aren't going to be able to have anything but the shittiest of weapons that can't cut paper without a castle.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lawlicaust posted:

You have to build it to progress. Many recipes are tied to quests that require you to build buildings do research, etc. You aren't going to be able to have anything but the shittiest of weapons that can't cut paper without a castle.

That's good, even if it is just a gatekeeping thing at least there is a reason to do it then.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This V Rising game looks good and fun and I am currently downloading it. Will report back later with my results!

EDIT: Also, where did this game come from? How did I never hear about it. As a always-online uber goon I figured I had my finger on the pulse of all games coming out but somehow I had never heard of this game before a couple of Twich streamers I follow started playing it this morning.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pseudo-survival game Planet Crafter got its first big update today. New biomes, things to craft, and QoL. No new terraformation steps it looks like though. I hope it sees continued updates.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1284190/view/3193627039733506710