Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Draynar posted:

First VR to give me motion sickness/nausea, game controls annoyingly slow unless you use their jump jets which I did not care for and the story npc's were like terrifying. the sickness was so bad I didn't VR again for like a month.

Hahahaha I had this issue too. Haven't touched the Quest since - my brain just hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Breakfast All Day posted:

The treadmills were a somewhat neat novelty for a few experiences when consumer VR was limited to seated and standing. Since roomscale became a thing, they're strictly worse. Even roomscale with teleport is much better, as you still have free movement to lean, duck, dodge, twist, and such without having to translate that into being taped to what's basically just a big joystick while awkwardly miming rollerblading.

Actual omnidirectional treadmills are another story, but have their own limitations and will never be consumer devices. If you ever get the chance to try one, take it.

Agreed. Im firmly in the camp of "they rule for content made for them at location based places but having it at home is lololol unless you're rich and have tons of space and want that one thing literally for the one or two games it really does well for".

Its like a racing sim. They are dope as poo poo but for the average VR haver? overkill and theres like 2 good sims.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

EbolaIvory posted:

The newer ones are better but they still only really work if content is built for it and or theres zero crouching/prone needed in gameplay. Be it picking up items, or like, just ducking behind walls.

This new one you can crouch, jump and go prone on.

I wish I had a rich friend who was into gimmicks so I could try all these things, like the haptic gloves

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have the space for something that narrow in use but no loving way can I spend that much on 10% of my video game playing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dunno I think a VR treadmill could be worth it if it perfectly simulated real walking and running

We haven’t even gotten normal treadmills to perfectly simulate walking and running yet. Let alone doing it with a bucket on your head

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Alctel posted:

This new one you can crouch, jump and go prone on.

I wish I had a rich friend who was into gimmicks so I could try all these things, like the haptic gloves

Which one? The new KAT? Because uh, you ain't gonna lay flat on the ground on that, even if the system entirely let you, there just isn't enough space. I'll ask someone I know with one about it, but like, yeah, based on everything previous models were and watching dude use this one, naw, you aint laying down using it. If theres another thing I missed somewhere, link me plz.

I realize there is very very few times and titles you'd lay flat like that but in onward, I cannot count the # of times I would go full prone to cover a corner or some poo poo.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Manager Hoyden posted:

I honestly swing my arms a little and shift my weight back and forth between feet when using regular analog locomotion in games

It feels more realistic than every single purpose-built solution

This is the way.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

EbolaIvory posted:

Which one? The new KAT? Because uh, you ain't gonna lay flat on the ground on that, even if the system entirely let you, there just isn't enough space. I'll ask someone I know with one about it, but like, yeah, based on everything previous models were and watching dude use this one, naw, you aint laying down using it. If theres another thing I missed somewhere, link me plz.

I realize there is very very few times and titles you'd lay flat like that but in onward, I cannot count the # of times I would go full prone to cover a corner or some poo poo.

Yeah the Kat C2 - it kind of suspends you in midair a bit and looks really uncomfortable. Good ab workout though. There is a pic on the link

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just push the thumb stick forward and then I move, or depress it and I run. While I’m sitting down and comfortable :cool:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I was playing Demeo fully reclined in my Dad Chair this weekend. for some reason oculus or steamvr can't seem to put the starting camera in a sensible spot from the stationary guardian but you can grab the whole world, flip it upside down and stick it on your ceiling and play some TTRPG from the most comfortable spot in the house. gently caress roomscale, I'm gaming on the ceiling

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I got a problem - my Quest 2 stutters like crazy in steam games and now I get weird render tearing, one eye going black. This just started, its ran fine for months. I tried my wife’s headset and it works fine. This is through virtual desktop. My airlink is hosed, stutters so bad I can’t exit I have to restart, and that has been this way for awhile. There was a point it worked fine too. Didn’t really care about the airlink because I was cool just using virtual desktop. Another thing is virtual desktop doesn’t stutter at all, just when I launch steam VR.

Like I said my wife’s set works fine with the pc, and I look on the pc screen and there’s no stuttering at all either in steam VR so it’s not my computer struggling.

Anyway it seems to be an issue with my set - has anyone else had this? I’m gonna do a factory reset but hoping there’s another solution because the whole thing is a pain in the rear end to set up and side load poo poo to tweak settings, and I had it all just right.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm considering buying a new PC. All the pre-built systems come with Windows 11. I want to drive a Quest 2 with it. Are there still performance problems with this or have they been sorted now? If not I guess I'll have to build my own, or immediately wipe it and install Windows 10.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I've been running Windows 11 for a while now and haven't had a single problem.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

vaginite posted:

I got a problem - my Quest 2 stutters like crazy in steam games and now I get weird render tearing, one eye going black. This just started, its ran fine for months. I tried my wife’s headset and it works fine. This is through virtual desktop. My airlink is hosed, stutters so bad I can’t exit I have to restart, and that has been this way for awhile. There was a point it worked fine too. Didn’t really care about the airlink because I was cool just using virtual desktop. Another thing is virtual desktop doesn’t stutter at all, just when I launch steam VR.

Like I said my wife’s set works fine with the pc, and I look on the pc screen and there’s no stuttering at all either in steam VR so it’s not my computer struggling.

Anyway it seems to be an issue with my set - has anyone else had this? I’m gonna do a factory reset but hoping there’s another solution because the whole thing is a pain in the rear end to set up and side load poo poo to tweak settings, and I had it all just right.

I dont know about one eye going black, that is wild and sounds like a complete steamvr reinstall kind of issue.

But the stuttering, run C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe (or wherever it's installed) and turn on the performance overlay. Then play a game, when it's stuttering does the performance overlay tell you it's dropping any frames? And if so, compositor frames or from the game itself? I guess I would doubt it if it's only one headset doing it, but still doesn't hurt to check.

And, if you delete all your guardian data on the headset or just straight up disable the guardian does it still stutter? The guardian stutter thing is one long, long, longstanding bug that I've noticed has gotten worse recently instead of getting better.

I just thought, too. Does the Oculus program have something like profiles for each headset? I have no idea because I only have one Quest 2. Is the resolution and refresh rate set the same for each headset?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 18, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dietrich posted:

I've been running Windows 11 for a while now and haven't had a single problem.

Do you use Air Link? From what I'm reading, that's where people have been having issues.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Airlink's been fine on Win 11 for me, really no perceivable difference going from 10 > 11. Just my experience but yeah.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Alctel posted:

Yeah the Kat C2 - it kind of suspends you in midair a bit and looks really uncomfortable. Good ab workout though. There is a pic on the link

idk. I'm not seeing a prone here. and good luck laying on that tiny disc.

Edit:

They are calling this "going prone"

Yeah. No. Thats oddly hanging not laying. Theres no "using the ground to stabilize your rifle" there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah isn't basically the point of laying prone that you can stabilise your arms on the ground? That... has none of the same advantages as actually laying on the ground?

I think it's still cool, but let's not oversell ourselves here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah isn't basically the point of laying prone that you can stabilise your arms on the ground? That... has none of the same advantages as actually laying on the ground?

I think it's still cool, but let's not oversell ourselves here.

Yep and if you calibrate the floor correctly, when you "hover" you're floating, not laying on the games ground, so whats the point 2X? At that point you might as well just crouch.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
dolphin diving in vr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR Treadmills are universally trash.

Anyway, the best prone alternative I've ever seen is a Pop1 streamer called DirtySixer, who doesnt prone, but kneels down and rests his arms on his bed. He gets all the stabilization of prone, with the shorter time required to get up off the floor from kneeling vs laying

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's silly that you have to use special shoes for it, instead of including adjustable shoe covers.

Like, how're you gonna let someone else try it out if they are a much different size?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I achieved locomotion nirvana a few months back after modding the Flintstones car into GTA 5 along with VR and lovely deskbike support. No treadmill can compare.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

It's silly that you have to use special shoes for it, instead of including adjustable shoe covers.

Like, how're you gonna let someone else try it out if they are a much different size?

It sounds like you're attempting to put thought into a scam BS vaporware product.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inner Light posted:

It sounds like you're attempting to put thought into a scam BS vaporware product.

I dunno if I'd call it a scam, per se.
Some VR YouTubers have already used it (and/or the previous version) and like it well enough for a hyper-niche product.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Inzombiac posted:

I dunno if I'd call it a scam, per se.
Some VR YouTubers have already used it (and/or the previous version) and like it well enough for a hyper-niche product.

In my experience, VR YouTubers like pretty much everything. Before my Quest arrived, I was looking for gun accessories for Oculus controllers to make them feel more like guns, and every review I saw for one of those things was positive. However after using the Quest for a lil bit it became apparent that it straight up doesn't matter because the game is going to make the gun feel real, or it won't. You can't see the controllers so its pointless. However, a YouTube reviewer isn't going to say something like that, because they were given it for free and are sponsored in some way.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 19, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In my experience, VR YouTubers like pretty much everything. Before my Quest arrived, I was looking for gun accessories for Oculus controllers to make them feel more like guns, and every review I saw for one of those things was positive. However after using the Quest for a lil bit it became apparent that it straight up doesn't matter because the game is going to make the gun feel real, or it won't. You can't see the controllers so its pointless. However, a YouTube reviewer isn't going to say something like that, because they were given it for free and are sponsored in some way.

The bias can be very real with some folks thats for sure.

Almost every single VR gimmick is totally taste. Most of them work as advertised in general. Its down to the user, price point, and do they find value in it. I've had "Fun" with all kinds of the gimmick poo poo but I would never to use most of it daily.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

I realise I'm an outlier, but when I play VR I already put on bicycle gloves to deal with my hyperhidrosis, and if I'm playing anything where I might need to crouch I change my boots to ones that don't have shoelace hooks, so that I don't rush squishing them shut on the ground. And if I'm playing an exercise game I take my shirt off.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to have to have special VR shoes, but I already do that some of the time.

...maybe I should just get better shoes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The real solution to locomotion in VR is for devs to stop loving around and use the good locomotion options that have already been demonstrated

People want the dumb treadmills to actually be good because they know deep in their hearts stuff like stick locomotion is completely unfun and they want something to fix it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got a FedEx tracking notification for my Sword Controllers! :peanut:

They ship from Shanghai, so no surprises as to why it's taken this long. Should hopefully have them in a week, and good timing too, as one of my Vive Wands has given up the ghost yet again, and I don't think I can frankenstein it back into working order with parts from my spare defective ones this time :sigh:.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's the "thing" about the sword controllers? What makes them cool or special? I honestly can't really tell despite having seen the product page a few times now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

What's the "thing" about the sword controllers? What makes them cool or special? I honestly can't really tell despite having seen the product page a few times now.

Honestly not a whole lot, they're basically better Vive Wands. I wanted a set because I play a fair bit of VRChat and Vive wands actually work better in that game than Index controllers, I find (easier to use the radial menu, and interactions/gesture with the touchpad). It's very much a me-specific user case for getting a pair.

One neat thing though is they use swappable bog-standard NP-BX1 batteries, so if you really care to use them a long time you can pick up a few extras and swap them out. Standard charge time's comparable to Vive Wands to apparently..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nvidia 4000 series GPU being launched mid July? What kind of VR improvements will we see?

Currently using a laptop but now that we've moved into a house, the new 4000 series might be enough to push me to build a new desktop finally

If Bitcoin stays low, might even be able to pick up a 4070 or 4070 near MSRP?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hadlock posted:

If Bitcoin stays low, might even be able to pick up a 4070 or 4070 near MSRP?

Oh, uhh, no, not soon after launch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Nvidia 4000 series GPU being launched mid July? What kind of VR improvements will we see?
Other than Flight Simulator I haven't found a game that doesn't run maxed out in VR on my 3070, I'm not sure how many clear improvements we'll be seeing for a good year or two yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently got employed again with a job that actually gives me full time and I've been wanting to grab a new GPU. Guess if I start saving now I can probably scrounge up the 3 thousand needed to buy a 4000 series.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

BrainDance posted:

I dont know about one eye going black, that is wild and sounds like a complete steamvr reinstall kind of issue.

But the stuttering, run C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe (or wherever it's installed) and turn on the performance overlay. Then play a game, when it's stuttering does the performance overlay tell you it's dropping any frames? And if so, compositor frames or from the game itself? I guess I would doubt it if it's only one headset doing it, but still doesn't hurt to check.

And, if you delete all your guardian data on the headset or just straight up disable the guardian does it still stutter? The guardian stutter thing is one long, long, longstanding bug that I've noticed has gotten worse recently instead of getting better.

I just thought, too. Does the Oculus program have something like profiles for each headset? I have no idea because I only have one Quest 2. Is the resolution and refresh rate set the same for each headset?

Thank you - I tried all of this and it didn't do anything, and I realized I hadn't tried my wife's set in a few days and it's a few day old problem, and it actually did have the problem too so I'm glad I didn't factory reset. So I did (after spending the entirety of yesterday evening reinstalling, trying different stuff) find the problem and it's weird: it was an audio bug. I installed an actual soundcard and if I switch the output on my PC back to the mobo everything works fine. I've had the soundcard awhile so I didn't think it was the issue, but for some reason virtual desktop started not liking it, and I guess airlink always didn't like it - It even fixed my airlink. :shrug:

vaginite fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 19, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think ThrillSeeker has a pretty grounded outlook on VR stuff. He's very open about stuff he doesn't like and doesn't want people to buy VR things just because.

He's talked about those treadmill and has at least one and doesn't think they are consumer ready yet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

I think ThrillSeeker has a pretty grounded outlook on VR stuff. He's very open about stuff he doesn't like and doesn't want people to buy VR things just because.

He's talked about those treadmill and has at least one and doesn't think they are consumer ready yet.

He's solid. He def is more an enthusiast "reviewer" but yeah hes a pretty honest guy. At least as much as most of the influencers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
3070ti adequate for a Quest 2 or should I consider a 3080?