Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Are there branded products and private enterprise? Yes.

Are there legally separate from human being as an entity corporations? Maybe, but it’s not really consistent with the feudal stylings of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett does his own thing. I guess you can say that mode of life is particular to the helican sub sector .

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gona headcanon it that Sublime, the planet in the Eye of Terror that acts as a neutral trading ground, is named after the corporation that owns it. Legally recognised by Chaos Gods.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 17, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably that corporation has itself been elevated to the status of minor Chaos God of Capitalism by the fervent belief of middle management that "the corporation" can protect them.

wiegieman posted:

The thing to remember is that the imperium cares about reliable control. They want a single person or a family at the most who an inquisitor can show up to threaten, not a vast faceless corporate hydra that answers to The Shareholders and is just going to be taken over by the Alpha Legion anyway.
Just make sure that The Shareholders include an Inquisitor who never shows up to board meetings and it's fiiiiine.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Capitalism isn't just "companies" or "money" or "commodity ownership", it's a whole legal framework guaranteeing the sovereignty of capital investment and making it the primary determinant for how resources are distributed. The Imperium is pretty clearly not that.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 17, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chaos has its own pocket civilizations. Q'Sal is a peak development paradise world with bickering city states that happens to also be a world of sorcerers, with the city states ruled by assemblies of notables. Even the Legions don't stick their dicks in there, that's a good way for the Magisters Immaterial to rip your soul out.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Presumably that corporation has itself been elevated to the status of minor Chaos God of Capitalism by the fervent belief of middle management that "the corporation" can protect them.

They are protected, The big 4 and Abaddon made it a tax haven that they can run their shell companies out of. Capitalism is Chaos Undivided.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm not sure what the most recent mention of them are, but the Imperium has had a galactic spanning currency called Thrones that have appeared in more than one novel. I wonder if thats still canon or just by the wayside now

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Abnett does his own thing. I guess you can say that mode of life is particular to the helican sub sector .

There's definitely a cyberpunk aesthetic to some of his novels that I haven't seen from anyone else in 40k.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Waroduce posted:

I'm not sure what the most recent mention of them are, but the Imperium has had a galactic spanning currency called Thrones that have appeared in more than one novel. I wonder if thats still canon or just by the wayside now

That's generally used. Now whether a Thone on Hellworld A is the same shape, size, and material as a Thone on Tombworld B, or if Throne means a measure of wheat on Agriworld C, is unknown.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OPAONI posted:

That's generally used. Now whether a Thone on Hellworld A is the same shape, size, and material as a Thone on Tombworld B, or if Throne means a measure of wheat on Agriworld C, is unknown.

Some planets additionally have local currency like Slates and Imperial Credits

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Modern day economics is junk. But yeah even a hive world is going to have many different economies at once. Like Terra will have different economies depending on where you are vertically

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

Are there branded products and private enterprise? Yes.

Are there legally separate from human being as an entity corporations? Maybe, but it’s not really consistent with the feudal stylings of the setting.

I mean the 40kMusk could literally live forever so good luck prying 40kTesla out of his juvenated fingers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just chainsword his fingers off :shrug:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arquinsiel posted:

Just make sure that The Shareholders include an Inquisitor who never shows up to board meetings and it's fiiiiine.

This is where parking capital in a corporation where you have little direct control in 40K can be a very bad idea.

Say you invest your hard earned* money into a corporation along with thousands of over people. The issue is if a small group of people at the top piss off the wrong person (planetary or sector governor, Inquisitor, Ecclesiarchy etc.) then it is all gone and you have no ability to get your money back. Or you can keep your money closer, with only a few other people, where you can keep an eye on the actions of the people in charge.

If you want to see cancel culture, imagine if a corporation gets on the wrong side of an Ecclesiarchy Prelate and they declare it heretical. Boom, money gone as the faithful literally attack it.

Parking your money closer to home in a place you can keep an eye on it is a safer option.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sure he got his wealth from blood adamantium but he builds one hell of a Gloriana so he's probably alright

Edit: Lord Governor Muskius bought the public vox network which means I can finally post about the xenos' Human Replacement Plan again

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 17, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Argentariae Imperialis must have a hell of a time doing conversion rates between local currencies. How much does a Khanak trophy skull fetch at a Baal blood chalice auction?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Say you invest your hard earned* money into a corporation along with thousands of over people. The issue is if a small group of people at the top piss off the wrong person (planetary or sector governor, Inquisitor, Ecclesiarchy etc.) then it is all gone and you have no ability to get your money back. Or you can keep your money closer, with only a few other people, where you can keep an eye on the actions of the people in charge.

If you want to see cancel culture, imagine if a corporation gets on the wrong side of an Ecclesiarchy Prelate and they declare it heretical. Boom, money gone as the faithful literally attack it.

Parking your money closer to home in a place you can keep an eye on it is a safer option.
I'm not seeing a meaningful difference between that and your pension's hedge fund manager gambling on a meme stock like AMC.

DaysBefore posted:

Sure he got his wealth from blood adamantium but he builds one hell of a Gloriana so he's probably alright
We have reached the obvious breaking point of this metaphor. In the Imperium of Man all adamantium is blood adamantium, and that makes it better because it's good human blood shed in service of the Emperor.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Arquinsiel posted:

Just chainsword his fingers off :shrug:

you can do this irl too :madmax:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There also unions

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

There also unions

Aka genestealer cults.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arc Hammer posted:

Aka genestealer cults.

Nah, legitimate trade unions with enough power that during wartime sieges they still have a say in in things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Mechanicum is basically a trade union

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Most planets in the Imperium tend to be forced into specific roles to meet their quotas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Unions in 40k still serve the god-emperor, but they get an extra 5 minute water break inbetween the long shifts of extremely difficult and dangerous labour

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Capitalism isn't just "companies" or "money" or "commodity ownership", it's a whole legal framework guaranteeing the sovereignty of capital investment and making it the primary determinant for how resources are distributed. The Imperium is pretty clearly not that.

This is correct, part of capitalist realism is that people consider concepts like “money” and “companies” and even “ownership” as inherently capitalist when in reality capitalism is just a particular expression of these concepts and scaffold on which they are arranged in relation to one another

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Imperium is really just a permanent wartime economy, so the model you'd be looking at would be the US/Britain/Germany/Japan during WWII. It isn't capitalism, but it's not quite pre-capitalism either.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

The Mechanicum is basically a trade union

More like a medieval guild, which has some similarities to a union but is very much a different thing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mechanicum are what would happen if the Luddites weren't all murdered by factory owners

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is correct, part of capitalist realism is that people consider concepts like “money” and “companies” and even “ownership” as inherently capitalist when in reality capitalism is just a particular expression of these concepts and scaffold on which they are arranged in relation to one another
It depends what you mean by "ownership" there, although I'm pretty sure all the ones I can think of would cause vicious arguments in the right circles anyway. At least the particular meaning of "ownership" which amounts to it being a means of generating income is pretty clearly defined in Das Kapital.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Imperium is really just a permanent wartime economy, so the model you'd be looking at would be the US/Britain/Germany/Japan during WWII. It isn't capitalism, but it's not quite pre-capitalism either.
I think the best parallel is the German WWII economy with the workshop production model and the little industrial fiefdoms like Ferdie Porsche's ability to sell anything his brain shat out to the government. Like sure a Krieg-pattern Leman Russ might be better in any number of minor ways and prove that the Mechanicum model of production is inefficient, but the Mars-pattern Russ is still the one that the Admimistratum puts in the big order for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Part of the deal is that the Mars pattern Russ is better, because Mars makes sure they have the best factories and personnel who are capable of mass production of stuff like gyroscopic stabilizers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...n-by-guy-haley/

GW just announced another book by their writing AI, Guy Haley. For a change it's about an elf.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not seeing a meaningful difference between that and your pension's hedge fund manager gambling on a meme stock like AMC.

Well, your pension provider will have legal responsibilities and your money will have legal protections* against any kind of big systematic issues.

It would be more like hedge funds in an authoritarian regime like Russia. If a powerful person wanted it shut down or to take the money then you have no choice but to roll over and say thank you.

*only applicable in modern countries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That happens in the USA too .

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Well, your pension provider will have legal responsibilities and your money will have legal protections* against any kind of big systematic issues.

It would be more like hedge funds in an authoritarian regime like Russia. If a powerful person wanted it shut down or to take the money then you have no choice but to roll over and say thank you.

*only applicable in modern countries.
The 40k equivalent of those consequences is "oh no, we lost a Lord General :shrug:".

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

New Dan Abnett on Saturday? "The Vincula Insurgency"

https://www.blacklibrary.com/prod-home/new/the-vincula-insurgency-ghost-dossier-1-eng-ebook-2022.html

Or has this already been out?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I wrapped up Gotrek and Felix under Nathan Long and see the next Omnibus changes authors again. I've been warned to avoid Omnibus 6, but is 5 still worth it? Can't seem to find a copy unfortunately on any used book sites.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

New Dan Abnett on Saturday? "The Vincula Insurgency"

https://www.blacklibrary.com/prod-home/new/the-vincula-insurgency-ghost-dossier-1-eng-ebook-2022.html

Or has this already been out?

I think it's only been released as one of those giant rear end special editions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's that. Now to wait however long more until the paperback shows up I guess.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/20/gaunts-ghosts-return-in-the-vincula-insurgency-but-which-of-them-do-you-identify-with-most/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It was yeah, and then it's going to take another year for the softback to come out.
At which point I might have been able to get every other BL book I want because they seemingly hate third party retailers.