Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Use a permanent marker and draw your best version of the symbol on some dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anybody tried the Age of Magic set yet? I wonder if it would be easy to re-purpose some WHFB poo poo I have laying around collecting dust.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I've only read Age of Magic but it feels tailor-made to get the feel of WHFB armies without doing rank-and-flank.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Use a permanent marker and draw your best version of the symbol on some dice.
That's a waste of perfectly good dice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anybody tried the Age of Magic set yet? I wonder if it would be easy to re-purpose some WHFB poo poo I have laying around collecting dust.

I've played more AoM than AoV by now. It's extremely flexible and a lot of WHFB armies can be run using several of the lists in the book.

E: Heads up that Baron's War is doing a kickstarter about next week or so. Outremer, with really nice minis of both crusaders and muslim forces sculpted by Paul Hicks. I'd love to make a SAGA force out of this so that I can play Age of Crusades too:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...cw8NWznhwDLDsZM

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 7, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arquinsiel posted:

That's a waste of perfectly good dice.
Use a whiteboard marker and some of those blank dice with indents for stickers to protect the symbol long enough for a game.

Some blank dice are an excellent investment, if you don't mind only ordering four reference books for the old lead barbies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Use a whiteboard marker and some of those blank dice with indents for stickers to protect the symbol long enough for a game.

Some blank dice are an excellent investment, if you don't mind only ordering four reference books for the old lead barbies.

Spending more money on D6's than on the rulebooks themselves is still the thing I like the least when it comes to SAGA, and I'm dumb enough to have bought three sets (Vikings, "good guys" AoM, Magic Dice). But I've come to see it as just another revenue source for the authors, kind of like buying band t-shirts at a consert.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That's a solid call actually. Could tape over it to make it a little sturdier too.
:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dice might be overpriced but hey, you can read them. Take notes, GW.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The new Baron's War kickstarter is live. This one is taking place in Outremer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

The new Baron's War kickstarter is live. This one is taking place in Outremer.

Was really looking forward to this, not sure if I’m getting the crusaders or the muslims.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All the stuff they've been revealing as the stretch goals get unlocked look great. Definitely going to pick up a bunch of both the crusaders & muslims.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

WIP for painting up WW1 infantry minis from a board game. Left to right: UK US France Italy Russia Ottoman Germany AH. Any suggestions for different colors before I move onto details and washes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not historical if you're going horizon blue, but le pantalon rouge, c'est la France!

Red webbing is a good homage though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah now that I think about it the blue and red might have been a little better since it gets them a darker blue outfit to match the faction color, as opposed to Italy's light blue. Still hopefully should be easy to pick out as the only bright blue uniforms at least.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, so I finally received everything ready for the horsemen I asked about a few pages or so back. It's really the first time hacking models up to kitbash them, but I think the result is good - it's not obvious at all, about where the 'seams' are. (I tried cutting at the waist directly below their belts+pouches, which I think worked well)
Here's one of the eight horsemen in my Italian mounted recon section:

(I forgot about the mold line on the leg! I'll have to fix it later. Also note the gloriously awful L5s/FIAT 3000s in the background)

The bodies are from the Warlord Italian box, the horses are plain-Jane Pike and Shotte horses from memory (not some of the ones with fancy barding and the like. I got these ones bundled with some other random bits, which is why I figured I'd make a mounted section) and the legs are from a goon's recommendation - Mad Robot Minis, from memory.

Overall, I like how it's turned out! I feel the legs were more intended for 40K minis, so the boots are a bit chunkier than my regular Warlord models. I don't think it's too noticeable though - it only is if you have the dismounted riders next to their mounted selves. (Since I filed back the Warlord infantry legwraps to resemble boots, for the dismounted guys. So they look normal sized next to their mounted counterparts, while they look a couple sizes too big. Or as though they're wearing gumboots!)

But anyway, I'm now wondering about paints and painting styles for the horses - I've never painted any animals before. (Well, I guess unless you count this Tau as an animal :v: ) At the moment I have some Citadel options - Dryad Bark brown, which is quite dark, Baneblade brown, while is quite pale, as well as black and white.

So I'm thinking I'll mostly do some dark brown horses (I guess a few Dryad Bark horses, with either the same for the mane+tail and/or black for the mane+tail?) Then maybe one or two with the lighter Baneblade brown with the darker Dryad brown for the mane+tail, perhaps. I'll also put a brown wash on the tail, mane and face I guess, to fill in the cracks.

The main issue though, is the NCO - since I'd like to give him a different colour for his horse, so that he stands out a little more. I've only got a real black black and white though, so I'm not sure what I should do, for him. Are there any good tips/guides on painting horses, by any chance? Since yeah, this is probably going to be the only practice I'm likely to get anytime soon, as I don't have any spare horses to practice on

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, so I finally received everything ready for the horsemen I asked about a few pages or so back. It's really the first time hacking models up to kitbash them, but I think the result is good - it's not obvious at all, about where the 'seams' are. (I tried cutting at the waist directly below their belts+pouches, which I think worked well)
Here's one of the eight horsemen in my Italian mounted recon section:

(I forgot about the mold line on the leg! I'll have to fix it later. Also note the gloriously awful L5s/FIAT 3000s in the background)

The bodies are from the Warlord Italian box, the horses are plain-Jane Pike and Shotte horses from memory (not some of the ones with fancy barding and the like. I got these ones bundled with some other random bits, which is why I figured I'd make a mounted section) and the legs are from a goon's recommendation - Mad Robot Minis, from memory.

Overall, I like how it's turned out! I feel the legs were more intended for 40K minis, so the boots are a bit chunkier than my regular Warlord models. I don't think it's too noticeable though - it only is if you have the dismounted riders next to their mounted selves. (Since I filed back the Warlord infantry legwraps to resemble boots, for the dismounted guys. So they look normal sized next to their mounted counterparts, while they look a couple sizes too big. Or as though they're wearing gumboots!)

But anyway, I'm now wondering about paints and painting styles for the horses - I've never painted any animals before. (Well, I guess unless you count this Tau as an animal :v: ) At the moment I have some Citadel options - Dryad Bark brown, which is quite dark, Baneblade brown, while is quite pale, as well as black and white.

So I'm thinking I'll mostly do some dark brown horses (I guess a few Dryad Bark horses, with either the same for the mane+tail and/or black for the mane+tail?) Then maybe one or two with the lighter Baneblade brown with the darker Dryad brown for the mane+tail, perhaps. I'll also put a brown wash on the tail, mane and face I guess, to fill in the cracks.

The main issue though, is the NCO - since I'd like to give him a different colour for his horse, so that he stands out a little more. I've only got a real black black and white though, so I'm not sure what I should do, for him. Are there any good tips/guides on painting horses, by any chance? Since yeah, this is probably going to be the only practice I'm likely to get anytime soon, as I don't have any spare horses to practice on

Nice dude, looks great!

I've been painting up a poo poo-ton of horses for my various historical projects. I hate painting horses, but I've gotten pretty good at painting them quickly. I pretty much just paint them all as bays because they're common and fairly simple.

Here is my system, all paints are Vallejo:
Main horse color = Saddle Brown
Lower legs, horse hair = Black
Hooves = Stone grey
Straps, Reins = Khaki
Forehead white patch = White
Saddle = Deck tan

Then wash everything with Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Nice dude, looks great!

I've been painting up a poo poo-ton of horses for my various historical projects. I hate painting horses, but I've gotten pretty good at painting them quickly. I pretty much just paint them all as bays because they're common and fairly simple.

Here is my system, all paints are Vallejo:
Main horse color = Saddle Brown
Lower legs, horse hair = Black
Hooves = Stone grey
Straps, Reins = Khaki
Forehead white patch = White
Saddle = Deck tan

Then wash everything with Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

Thanks! And thanks for that - sounds like exactly what I'm trying to replicate! I've even got Agrax Earthshade too, so I think I should be pretty sorted. I've mostly got Citadel paints, but I also have some Vallejo ones here and there. I reckon I should be able to figure something out, with all my options combined.

Out of curiosity though, how are you applying the wash? Since I was worried about it potentially being messed-up and looking weird on the horse's coat, but you seemed to have nailed it perfectly. Are you brushing extremely thinly over the horse's coat (like, on its rear, where there's absolutely nothing to pool in) in sections where there are no cracks and whatnot? Or are you using some other method that I haven't considered? (Since I know there are some whacky ways of applying washes, like using sponges and whatnot)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up my first 3 knights for Baron's War.

Thanks for all the tips on the books about heraldry, they've been a huge inspiration!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks! And thanks for that - sounds like exactly what I'm trying to replicate! I've even got Agrax Earthshade too, so I think I should be pretty sorted. I've mostly got Citadel paints, but I also have some Vallejo ones here and there. I reckon I should be able to figure something out, with all my options combined.

Out of curiosity though, how are you applying the wash? Since I was worried about it potentially being messed-up and looking weird on the horse's coat, but you seemed to have nailed it perfectly. Are you brushing extremely thinly over the horse's coat (like, on its rear, where there's absolutely nothing to pool in) in sections where there are no cracks and whatnot? Or are you using some other method that I haven't considered? (Since I know there are some whacky ways of applying washes, like using sponges and whatnot)

I give the whole thing a wash but I mix it with 50% lahmian medium first to dilute it. I find that makes it flow into the crevices nicely without darkening the whole model too much. Then I seal the whole thing with a matte finish once it’s dry.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone have opinions on who makes the best elephants?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thanks for all the tips on the books about heraldry, they've been a huge inspiration!

Great work! Those Barons War models are so great too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

These look great.

God I love knights and their heraldry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love the top green fella.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure that's William Marshal. Really interesting dude, amazed nobody did anything with his life story while Game of Thrones was making medieval stuff popular

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks dudes! That is my take on William Marshal, yeah. Going to do him on foot as well with a bannerman & i'll do the same for FitzWalter.

They were really fun to paint, trying to free hand as much heraldry as possible. Couldn't do the lions though, I need to practice more.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Koramei posted:

Anyone have opinions on who makes the best elephants?

I have one of the Victrix African War Elephants that can be assembled as Ptolemaic, Roman, or Carthaginian and it's a really nice plastic kit. If you're looking for Indian elephants or something from a later period I'm less knowledgeable, but I've heard the resin Warlord elephant is pretty good.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Those knights look awesome, glad to hear the references were helpful!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
https://twitter.com/johnsav06196556/status/1526452815283081216?t=PuQ1j4fUp-yoJ-OdtsWaRA&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Finished up my Quartermaster General minis

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

6 pts of Vikings, I still need to put together a standard bearer, and I have more Warriors and Hearthguard in the box to finish so I have options

These Victrix minis are really, really cool. I know I'm not a great painter but I am so far beyond what I could do before COVID, it really is night & day

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

6 pts of Vikings, I still need to put together a standard bearer, and I have more Warriors and Hearthguard in the box to finish so I have options

These Victrix minis are really, really cool. I know I'm not a great painter but I am so far beyond what I could do before COVID, it really is night & day

That’s some cool viking dudes :)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

This is a niche question, but we've got some experts on some pretty obscure topics so I thought I'd give it a go:

I'm trying to figure out the platoon structure of an infantry platoon in the Second Hungarian Army on the Eastern Front.

Here is diagram from a 1944 US intelligence handbook on the Hungarian army:

It shows a platoon as x4 11-man squads, however the handbook doesn't seem to specify when this intelligence is from. I'm not sure if this is the 1944 Hungarian army, an early war Hungarian platoon, or a pre-war Hungarian platoon.

Other sources I've found say a infantry company had x12 LMGs, x1-2 AT Rifles, and x2 Light Mortars, but no information on the breakdown of men per squad, squads per platoon, etc.

If anyone has any helpful info, I'd appreciate it.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
http://niehorster.org/015_hungary/book/Royal_Hungarian_Army_1920-1945.pdf

Have you tried this book? Just an insane amount of information

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have 1944 hungarians, and my understanding is that the squad and company breakdowns don't really change much from 41 to 44. Caveat mine are motor rifles and my sources are now in a different city.

I'm not sure where they get the AT rifle thing from. Hungary produced the german Solothurn AT rifle as the Nehézpuska, but that was used as the cannon on pre-war Toldi tanks and Csaba cars. Panzerschrecks and especially, later Panzerfausts were used in "as much as you can get" numbers, probably distributed among individual squads as supplies allowed. There were also homegrown Panzerfaust and Bazooka clones too, obviously in 44 not 42.

My dudes were explicitly designed for 1944 to do shenanigans vs my wife's soviets, so it may be that the Nehézpuska was also used as an AT rifle proper before the better german weapons came about. I think the light mortars would be german 5cm. Somehow Bulgaria got the 8cm but the dudes who actually fought didn't.

11-man squads with one machine gun and a mortar squad should be right throughout

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

This is a niche question, but we've got some experts on some pretty obscure topics so I thought I'd give it a go:

I'm trying to figure out the platoon structure of an infantry platoon in the Second Hungarian Army on the Eastern Front.

Here is diagram from a 1944 US intelligence handbook on the Hungarian army:

It shows a platoon as x4 11-man squads, however the handbook doesn't seem to specify when this intelligence is from. I'm not sure if this is the 1944 Hungarian army, an early war Hungarian platoon, or a pre-war Hungarian platoon.

Other sources I've found say a infantry company had x12 LMGs, x1-2 AT Rifles, and x2 Light Mortars, but no information on the breakdown of men per squad, squads per platoon, etc.

If anyone has any helpful info, I'd appreciate it.

The foreword of the manual would make me think this is the most current information they had at the time. The diagram you show also indicates that the company had 12 LMGs, so that matches at least.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

AT rifles also definitely seem like an early war thing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Signal posted:

Until the Spring of 1944, the Army only had medium (40mm, 47mm, 50mm) antitank guns (ATG), which were next to useless against the more modern Russian armor being encountered by then. Production switch over to the heavy 75mm
ATG began mid-1943, but these guns were supposed to be for the new Zrinyi assault guns. By an agreement reached with Germany, Hungary would not produce 75mm ATG. The Germans were to provide 9 weapons per month. No heavy
ATG were delivered from Germany until late March 1944. The first three-gun 75mm ATG platoons were issued to the reconnaissance battalions. By May 1944, heavy ATG began to be issued to the active infantry regiments. The 40mm ATG was delivered to the Army at a rate of 40 per month until July 1944. The 20mm antitank rifle continued in production, but was never available in sufficient numbers. Hand-held antitank weapons were only available from Germany, and these were
issued only in limited amounts to units on the front.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2022

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^you know you're in bad shape when you're having to bring AT rifles back in 1945.

best bale posted:

http://niehorster.org/015_hungary/book/Royal_Hungarian_Army_1920-1945.pdf

Have you tried this book? Just an insane amount of information

Great stuff, but unfortunately he didn't go all the way down below the company level. Definitely worth reading for anyone who is interested in the Hungarian army. Dude really delves down in the tiniest details.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The foreword of the manual would make me think this is the most current information they had at the time. The diagram you show also indicates that the company had 12 LMGs, so that matches at least.

My first assumption was this was current as of 1944 but I found that same source used elsewhere and some folks were speculating the US intelligence might have just translated a pre-war Hungarian manual. I'm usually pretty good at digging up info, but there really isn't much in English on the Hungarian army pre-1944, I presume because of how unique the Hungarian language is. I even found a post by the Too Fat Lardies devs saying they gave up trying to put together a Hungarian platoon list for Chain of Command due to lack of sources.

Signal posted:

I would think so, but the Hungarians were pretty hard up for AT equipment so who knows.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

11-man squads with one machine gun and a mortar squad should be right throughout

Yeah, I'm thinking this is probably the way to go. I'd like to know conclusively, but based on how sparse the info is, this might be as close as I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
AT Rifles weren't a bad option, nor completely useless. You have to remember that an AT rifle can still take out tracks, wheels, or be useful to shoot at vision blocks, or ancillary items. Not to mention that, while the AT rifle will do less against a IS-2, for example, it can still do much to repulse an armored car, or a jeep.