Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Karen Fukuhara was also Katana in Suicide Squad, but IIRC she only spoke in Japanese.

Also she was a Jedi in one of the Star Wars Visions shorts.

And both Alexis (Bernard's Girlfriend) and The Sewer Queen on Craig of the Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered that Gravity Falls' 10th anniversary is coming up in a month!

Anyone else feel like a rewatch?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered that Gravity Falls' 10th anniversary is coming up in a month!

Anyone else feel like a rewatch?

Duck-tective is real.

https://www.insideedition.com/pet-duck-in-north-carolina-finds-body-investigators-have-been-searching-for-since-2020-74581

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOiTr7_QIg

But seriously, I kind of want to start up a thread. Although maybe not do it in real time...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOiTr7_QIg

But seriously, I kind of want to start up a thread. Although maybe not do it in real time...

Do it! :D

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Maybe I will, smart guy! :colbert:

But do I start from broadcast date or the date Dipper actually found the journal in-universe? And what schedule do I watch it on? I don't even know if I have enough to say to sustain a whole thread! :ohdear:

I do at least have a title:
Lw lv kdsshqlqj djdlq: Let's rewatch Gravity Falls!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe I will, smart guy! :colbert:

But do I start from broadcast date or the date Dipper actually found the journal in-universe? And what schedule do I watch it on? I don't even know if I have enough to say to sustain a whole thread! :ohdear:

I do at least have a title:
Lw lv kdsshqlqj djdlq: Let's rewatch Gravity Falls!

I'd be interested in following along that thread. It'd be neat to look back into the series after several years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some of the jokes in GF might be a little questionable in retrospect (and the show shits on Mabel a fair bit) but the story and characters are still decent overall in my opinion and the show picks up in a big way during Season 2

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 17, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

readingatwork posted:

Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

Or how they hosed up so bad that Neji's depressing view of the world was proven right by the end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1526962382865682436

oof. looks like we're headed for a "why does this exist" battle between the new management at Warner and Cartoon Network/WBA :/

this could potentially be uglier than the last merger, more akin to the disasterous 2001 aol time warner merger

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1526962382865682436

oof. looks like we're headed for a "why does this exist" battle between the new management at Warner and Cartoon Network/WBA :/

this could potentially be uglier than the last merger, more akin to the disasterous 2001 aol time warner merger

Well, this guy is definitely going to make enemies too. His response to why they gave Clint Eastwood a movie when they had reservations was "we don't owe anyone any favors." The studio apparently gave Clint a movie because he had a good track record and was loyal to them. This guy said that mindset can eat a dick. Not a good way to run a studio in an industry where networking is king and spite can kill a career. If your plan is to snub people and never rub their backs, don't be shocked when all the good deals go to your competitors.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Why does it seem like every channel/network's suddenly decided they don't like good animation? Disney, Netflix, and now WB...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why does it seem like every channel/network's suddenly decided they don't like good animation? Disney, Netflix, and now WB...

Because animation is expensive and historically even the cheapest animation has incredibly low profit margins which makes it an easy target for executives focused on profit above all else

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Teen Titans Go being the noted and frustrating exception

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Disney, I wonder if there will ever be another serialized show on the network again or if that's all over once The Owl House comes to a close (I think I heard somewhere they wanted to move away from stuff like that for whatever reason but I'm not completely sure).

That said, I do hope the creators of that and Amphibia eventually move on to new projects though (maybe try somewhere that isn't Disney next time)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Disney, I wonder if there will ever be another serialized show on the network again or if that's all over once The Owl House comes to a close (I think I heard somewhere they wanted to move away from stuff like that for whatever reason but I'm not completely sure).

That said, I do hope the creators of that and Amphibia eventually move on to new projects though (maybe try somewhere that isn't Disney next time)

I think the trend for shows like that is waning and we're seeing the last few bits of an era started by Avatar and Adventure Time. The trend might restart again in several years or this might just be a temporary lull.

It just takes one explosively successful series like them to renew the trend

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 18, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Avatar, two new animated movies are apparently in development:

https://avatarnews.co/post/684454945400995840/animated-avatar-prequel-and-zuko-theatrical-films

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HBO Max also has a series in the pipeline that is being described as an "origin story" for Velma from Scooby Doo, but also with the intent that it'll be some kind of more mature thing. Whatever that means. More mature, but before she was a teenager.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526950560716533762

So when I try to look up information about this, I find a lot of stories talking about some kind of controversy over the decision to make Velma of south asian descent, and I don't doubt that there'll be people complaining about that, but I have no idea how much and I don't want to go looking for any, I really don't care much right now. It seems a bit like pre-emptively backlashing to predicted backlash at this point.

What I do think is that if you take Velma away from her dumb friends and then make the mysteries about murders like every other detective show, you've eliminated everything unique and distinctive about the premise and you'd have been better off starting from scratch.

Also why wear a hoodie over a turtleneck.

Something else weird but less confusing:
https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1526185742690664449

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Because animation is expensive and historically even the cheapest animation has incredibly low profit margins which makes it an easy target for executives focused on profit above all else

Also because, while I don't have numbers in front of me (and haven't been in a toy store in a while), I'm willing to bet that streaming services' lack of commercials make any cartoon, hell any kids show period, more of a money sink nowadays since they can't be getting ad money from toy companies to compensate for the fact that kids' shows (no matter how well written) inherently get less views than other stuff

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

HBO Max also has a series in the pipeline that is being described as an "origin story" for Velma from Scooby Doo, but also with the intent that it'll be some kind of more mature thing. Whatever that means. More mature, but before she was a teenager.

So when I try to look up information about this, I find a lot of stories talking about some kind of controversy over the decision to make Velma of south asian descent, and I don't doubt that there'll be people complaining about that, but I have no idea how much and I don't want to go looking for any, I really don't care much right now. It seems a bit like pre-emptively backlashing to predicted backlash at this point.

What I do think is that if you take Velma away from her dumb friends and then make the mysteries about murders like every other detective show, you've eliminated everything unique and distinctive about the premise and you'd have been better off starting from scratch.

I remember reading about that Velma thing happening, but I thought it was supposed to be live-action. Huh.

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly cynical I'm definitely being overly cynical but I honestly think they're banking on the backlash to drive press and even more so on getting the counter-backlash to watch a show that they normally wouldn't out of some sort of misguided attempt to own the libs chuds. Especially because five will get you ten that she's going to be gay in this too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, yeah, that part has also been known for about a year lmao. All of this came out around January 2021.

Velma is one of three shows HBO Max commissioned -- there's also a pretty fun Elon Musk satire called Fired On Mars. You used to be able to watch the pilot presentation on vimeo, it might still be there.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 19, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I remember reading about that Velma thing happening, but I thought it was supposed to be live-action. Huh.

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly cynical I'm definitely being overly cynical but I honestly think they're banking on the backlash to drive press and even more so on getting the counter-backlash to watch a show that they normally wouldn't out of some sort of misguided attempt to own the libs chuds. Especially because five will get you ten that she's going to be gay in this too.

ever since that tweet of the episode screen shot of Velma with a dump truck rear end went viral I was assuming there was going to be a "Scooby Doo but for adults" cartoon of some kind.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also why wear a hoodie over a turtleneck.

They CW-ified Velma except it's animated.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

they are retreating to what is 'safe' basically. status quo/episodic cartoons can be aired out of order on TV, do not require viewer commitment, and kids will rewatch repeatedly

there are probably other reasons at play as well but those are the sort of occams razor to me. more out there speculation would be something like, maybe networks got tired of having to deal with 'fandoms' and their toxicity, and just want shows that appeal purely to kids. and 'kids' as a nebulous demographic don't need story arcs to tune in.

but the reality is that any time there's a merger, or a yearly review, (often new) executives always want to make changes, pursue new demographics that they think are 'trending', etc. as Dana Terrace mentioned, the Owl House was basically cancelled because some new executive came in that was basically "Why are we making this?" All of the weird things that happened at Cartoon Network in the early 2000s (CN Fridays, live-action series) is because AOL Time Warner brought in new people that didn't understand what Cartoon Network was about and why they were doing things the way they were doing them.

this is why I'm concerned about the WBD situation, because the new CEO saying "Why are we funding kids shows for HBO Max?" seems REALLY loving OMINOUS for Cartoon Network, a network that programs its linear TV lineup like it's Youtube for Kids because cable TV and particularly kids cable TV is dying... I had thought HBO Max was meant to be the safety net for them, an additional source of viewership and revenue that would allow them to maintain their creative freedom in storytelling. If the New Guy suddenly doesn't think CN should be a part of HBO Max, I'm worried there could be significant layoffs incoming, and I'd hate for there to be senseless creative layoffs for the dumbest reasons.

e: I also have concerns that the next step will be Netflix thinking "wait, why are we even funding ADULT animation when we can just license more anime, which is cheaper?" this poo poo can domino so fast :|

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 19, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

pentyne posted:

ever since that tweet of the episode screen shot of Velma with a dump truck rear end went viral I was assuming there was going to be a "Scooby Doo but for adults" cartoon of some kind.

Don't remember that one

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who is this for?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
new execs always kramer into the company and go [spongbob alternating case meme] why not make wheel square ?!? [/spongbob alternating case meme]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Who is this for?

People with different taste to you.

What a stupid meme.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

e: I also have concerns that the next step will be Netflix thinking "wait, why are we even funding ADULT animation when we can just license more anime, which is cheaper?" this poo poo can domino so fast :|

Didn’t this already sort of start happening? I don’t think an official reason was given but Alex Hirsch’s as-of-yet unannounced adult animated series for Netflix went back into preproduction according to one of the storyboarders. I don’t think Inside Job is facing a bright future either since apparently it wasn’t performing to their expectations. Either way it’s only a matter of time really, they’ll cut down their entire in-house animation department and focus on licensing deals with third parties like they did for kids’ animation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1527291804936048640

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ghost and Molly McGee apparently returns on June 11

https://cabletvt.powerrangermail.net/index.php?topic=6935.0

Never actually watched it personally but I’ve heard good things and Molly is apparently voiced by Ashly Burch

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 19, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's a very charming show. No real deep plot (yet) but still very entertaining, plus it has the Phineas & Ferb thing where every episode has a song. Also it has the bonus of having Dana Snyder as the titular ghost, which means that every line has the hilarity of Master Shake co-starring on a Disney show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chloe Price and Master Shake starring in the same show does sound appealing at least. I might give it a shot then

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So here's my test OP for the Gravity Falls rewatch thread. Does anybody have any feedback?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Things will be extremely dark when the majority of children's entertainment is unboxing videos and people playing videogames with annoying voices.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Things will be extremely dark when the majority of children's entertainment is unboxing videos and people playing videogames with annoying voices.

"When"? I'm pretty sure it already is.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

So here's my test OP for the Gravity Falls rewatch thread. Does anybody have any feedback?

Looks good, OP! Looking forward to the thread.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Got back to watching Gargoyles from where I had last left off(a couple episodes into Season 2) and realized something, while I had known that since Season 2 had gotten extended from its original order of 26 episodes to 52 that such a thing had probably resulted in changes to the season in it's final form, I'm just now starting to realize the extent this probably took, in the original plan of 26 episodes I am almost certain that the City of Stone four parter was meant to be the season finale, indeed it's pretty obvious in certain respects regarding the shuffle(The Price* despite taking place after CoS has the gargoyles ignorant of Macbeth's immortality when dealing with the robot copy Xanatos uses in that episode, indeed there's a pretty obvious moment where they add a throwaway line about them wondering how Macbeth got away from the Weird Sisters is the most blatant one), though obviously many of the specifics regarding original intended order or how much any of the episodes were altered due to the shuffle

*I suspect it's only after they got the extension and shuffled things around that they added the whole Stone Hand thing with Owen, since not only is it tacked on right at the very end of the episode but only two episodes later in Double Jeopardy we see Owen back to having two hands again(notably Owen doesn't appear again until a good bit into the Avalon World Tour where he's back to having a stone hand), on another note it seems they had always planned from the very beginning for Owen to have some sort of secret but didn't settle on what that was until they were working on The Mirror and several people on the staff all independently arrived to the conclusion that it had to be Owen and Puck being the same being, and them sneaking in a couple hints about it in both CoS and The Price

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another cartoon question, was Code Lyoko any good? And if so, did it actually get a proper ending or was it just cancelled eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Larryb posted:

Another cartoon question, was Code Lyoko any good? And if so, did it actually get a proper ending or was it just cancelled eventually?

If I remember it did get a proper ending. The show had a fine premise. The problem was that it struggled to break out of its "peril of the week" formula that often ended with the same deus ex machina solution with no real character development or overarching story progression to show for it. I think they tried to color outside the lines a little bit in its final season (I can't remember if it got three or four) but by that time the hype for the show had largely evaporated.