Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

American McGay posted:

I think Sony has exclusivity of the SOTN/Rondo collection because it's never appeared on any other console, even though all the other collections have.

Sony had one of their studios do the porting work of the collection with Konamis approval iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have SotN on my phone and it's impressive how well it plays with touch controls.

It's perfect with a controller, of course.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s so good. I got it on my OLED Vita and used to play it every morning heading to work. Gaming heaven.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

symphony of the night owns so hard

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Aria will probably always be my favorite just for nostalgia reasons but SOTN is head and shoulders above any other Iga Castlevania.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Aria of Sorrow is better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Aria of Sorrow is better

insanely wrong and hosed up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

seek help

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Aria of Sorrow is better
You think this, but play them back to back. Trust me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ecclesia is better

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Dawn of Sorrow is the best Castlevania.

SotN<AoS<DoS

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Some of y'all aren't 37 years old and it shows.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I do think Aria has the tightest game design overall but SotM is an ambitious pile of madness and it's very easy to overlook its rough edges in favor of its blinding glory.

Dawn might be a little better than Aria mechanically but it doesn't bring much new to the table, and it also put the death knell on the classic awesome art in favor of generic budget anime art so I have to ding it a few points for that. And I even like anime.

Does anyone know if Circle of the Moon's port still has all those crazy bugs that make glitch runs so fun to watch?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
SotN is incredibly ambitious for what it did but I played it recently and found that it just doesn't hold a modern candle to the advancements that metroidvanias have made since it invented the genre. It's definitely worth playing but stuff like level and combat design as well as game mechanics are a little rough these days.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Harmony is bad

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i think all 7 igavanias are great games but sotn is definitely a step above the rest.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i own the ps4 collection but SoTN is perfect for handheld and i hold out hope that one day i can play SoTN in the bed on my nintendo switch

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i never played any of the GBA or DS castlevanias and should rectify that someday

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sotn is no castlevania 2: simon's quest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i never played any of the GBA or DS castlevanias and should rectify that someday

they’re great

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is the best Castlevania

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Your Computer posted:

few things are

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What was that 4 player castlevania on Xbox 360? Harmony of despair? Was that any good?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Does MLB The Show look lovely enough on Switch to make me regret an impulse purchase?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What was that 4 player castlevania on Xbox 360? Harmony of despair? Was that any good?

Maybe it was with multiplayer but it did not leave a good impression playing solo. It felt like some fan game with the weird scaling and mismatched assets.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

Yeah it's good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
simon's quest is *pauses for 30 seconds as it transitions from night to day* good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it's good

i know castlevania 2: simon's quest is good i just wish there were more games like it tbh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like it when games just lie to you it unironically owns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The properly translated, rom hacked Castlevania 2 is good stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Simon's Quest the one where you have to find an orb and find the exact spot to stand for it to warp you or something to advance the game?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sigher posted:

Is Simon's Quest the one where you have to find an orb and find the exact spot to stand for it to warp you or something to advance the game?

yes lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It still doesn't make any sense

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Your Computer posted:

i know castlevania 2: simon's quest is good i just wish there were more games like it tbh

ever heard of tower of druaga

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
La Mulana feels like a modern inspiration

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like NES games even the lovely ones so i don't think simon's quest is a bad game but it has a lot of annoying poo poo in it that will put off a normal person who just wants to play castlevania so those people should play castlevania 3 instead

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
La Mulana is a good game. It has nothing in common with Castlevania 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There should be more Zelda 2 clones