Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Just how deep down does the elevator in Prae go if it’s long enough to have a monologue and full boss fight?

It's gotta be long enough for a monologue and a boss fight going down AND a monologue and a boss fight going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regalingualius posted:

Just how deep down does the elevator in Prae go if it’s long enough to have a monologue and full boss fight?

Gaius has it specifically engineered to move slowly enough for that specific monologue. The walls are actually moving faster than the elevator to give the illusion of a much deeper journey.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Garleans invented rediscovered the Allagan Wonkavator and used it to confound Eorzeans as to the exact location of the Ultima Weapon.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I could swear the elevator moves slower in the revamp, but I don't want to look up a video to break the illusion. :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ledgem posted:

So I've been trying to follow advice for CC with DRK but uh...

I'm now at 45 wins out of 124 games. I'm losing 2 games for every 1 win still.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm even capable of doing better.

Can you post a vid so we can see what’s happening? That is a pretty low win rate. I won’t say I’m the best but I managed to get to Crystal at about a 45% winrate.

I’d maybe suggest trying a different job. Bad DPS could be holding you back.

Edit: I wish I could tell groups to stop being stupid. “Hey let’s ALL stand on the Crystal and get zapped by the WHM LB”

Me sitting behind the group :argh:

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 18, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fun fact, whenever you're on an elevator in this game, the rest of the map is what moves

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Regalingualius posted:

I always assumed the elevator was calibrated specifically to move slowly enough to let Gaius finish his monologue. He's clearly practiced it a lot on random patrolling guardsmen, just to make sure the timing was right when the EORZEAN! showed up to ruin his stupid war-crime party.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Fun fact, whenever you're on an elevator in this game, the rest of the map is what moves

This is a programming trick in basically every game that has this sort of scene!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy what Prey (2017) did with that.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FuturePastNow posted:

That's not always true. In the old version of the Praetorium, the elevator after the first boss and the one before you hopped on Maggie worked like regular elevators. So do the ones in Copperbell, even the new version of it. That's why NPCs don't actually get on them, and why other players seem to sink through or float above the floor. Any elevator you fight on is absolutely the level moving and not the elevator, though.

In multiplayer it's far more likely to have regular elevators in areas where there's going to be people both on and off them. The reason it's otherwise usually maps moving instead of the elevator moving your character is that it's surprisingly hard to smoothly tie together moving your character and a piece of the map. In multiplayer it's better to have those disconnects (jittery movement, floating above or sinking through the floor, NPC pathing issues) happen only to those on the elevator instead of everyone that's not.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Can you post a vid so we can see what’s happening?
I mean it's not that uncommon if you're just not that good a player. Knowing all the tactics and strategies only helps so much when you're old and decript uncoordinated enough to fatfinger buttons or hit things far too late and if you can't be good enough to at least be equal or superior to your teammates there's no way you're going to get enough consecutive wins to rise in tier. Which is kind of the point of a ranking system, some people are just gonna be down there, but that doesn't make it completely demoralizing and frustrating when you can't make any progress.

I personally would have preferred to get at least silver for the sake of my middle aged ego, but after however many games it took to get the malmstone rewards I just kind of... gave up, especially after managing to briefly hit bronze 3 then get a nice string of losses to lose it all. FFXIV PVE is a much much slower and methodical game than the new PVP and folks who can handle PVE might not be able to handle the twitchier side of things, and while practice helps after 100+ games you probably have a good idea of what your skill level will be and if you can't rise after trying different classes or alternate stragies and figuring out how to best use your kit then you just... can't rise. :shrug:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SettingSun posted:

This is a programming trick in basically every game that has this sort of scene!

Yeah, I remember WoW doing that for the dungeon set on a moving train: just set up a Hanna Barbera-style repeating background, then add in effects (like strong gusts of wind) to sell the illusion

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Given how deep the Coils elevators go, Praetorium is nothing special.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Coils are rough roughly almost 9km deep, if yalms are yards, but also the volume of the cavity is nothing to sneeze at either. The sheer millions of billions of cubic onzes of dirt that should be there is staggering.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

someone already did the elevator math
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ad26wk/since_no_one_asked_i_calculated_the_speed_of_the/

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
FFXIV put up an official music video for Flow. There's some really good unique art at the end, so it's worth watching for just that. (As mentioned in the video itself, spoilers for Endwalker, though the thumbnail doesn't have any unless you've already seen the context.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgpJ0k820w

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1526905581243887616?t=3EsfV3twpyJM5FyLgOWxDw&s=19

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That song is good, but it doesn't really make me emotional. Now this song, I get choked up just listening to just the first few seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngx96H3i8X8

As above the video has a lot of spoilers so do not watch if you haven't finished Endwalker yet.

Also it gives me the same vibes His Theme does from Undertale which ALSO makes me emotional

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Onean posted:

FFXIV put up an official music video for Flow. There's some really good unique art at the end, so it's worth watching for just that. (As mentioned in the video itself, spoilers for Endwalker, though the thumbnail doesn't have any unless you've already seen the context.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgpJ0k820w

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1526905581243887616?t=3EsfV3twpyJM5FyLgOWxDw&s=19

That art at the end....holy poo poo. I'm not crying, you are!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Macaluso posted:

That song is good, but it doesn't really make me emotional. Now this song, I get choked up just listening to just the first few seconds:

I mostly agree. On the music alone Flow does make me feel a little, just not as much as Dynamis. The overall music video for Flow, especially the art piece at the end, hits harder for me, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They're both good, just IMO Flow hits harder. Dynamis is hopeful and uplifting, but Flow is so cathartic after all this pent up emotional struggle, even moreso than Tomorrow and Tomorrow at the end of 5.0. It's the everything is gonna be alright song. :unsmith:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Macaluso posted:

As above the video has a lot of spoilers so do not watch if you haven't finished Endwalker yet.

Also it gives me the same vibes His Theme does from Undertale which ALSO makes me emotional

Yeah this one is precision-engineered to make me tear up

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They misspelled "lyrics" in that Flow music video as "lyrycs." Unwatchable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Macaluso posted:

drat, getting dusty in here. Must be the bathroom remodel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Martman posted:

They misspelled "lyrics" in that Flow music video as "lyrycs." Unwatchable.

First "wild shrieks" and now this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

none of these songs are Each Drop

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sorry, my stupid is showing, who is the teal-haired one in the art, middle left?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alxprit posted:

Sorry, my stupid is showing, who is the teal-haired one in the art, middle left?

minfilia

Yeah lighting hosed me up for a second there too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Truly the most forgettable of them all... I feel bad though

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That was done before they made both Gaius and the first part of Ultima Weapon into actual bosses again, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I got SMN to 90 via SCH and figured I might as well use it as my caster except I have not the slightest idea what I should be doing with it. What do
Also I need a melee to round out the 5 roles but I absolutely loathe split combos because I invariably lose my place and forget which one should go when; is there a melee that doesn't have split combos :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ninja is probably your best bet then, because you only need the armor crush combo to refresh a buff and the exact timing flexible as long as you don't let it run out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Reapers don't have split combos. They have a basic 1-2-3, and then some other poo poo that happens now and then.

Summoners are super easy, but they look complicated at first because they have a lot of unassignable abilities that just overwrite others based off of your current summon. I have no idea what any of them is called, but you basically just hit buttons as they light up. Most of them are just single target / aoe versions of the same skill.

Basically you have three phases. First, you drop Bahamut. This changes your Ruin 3 to something else you just spam, and lets you use ogcd deathflare, and command bahamut to do the same.

After that you summon your three demi-primals. The order is arbitrary and can change based off your needs:
Ifrit has a gapcloser and melee follow up. It also unlocks 2 casts of a slow, powerful hit.
Titan has an instant cast spell, with an oCGD that combos off it. You get 4 uses of the combo I believe.
Garuda has a slow cast that leaves an aoe ground effect, and has 4 instant cast wind spells.

After you use your three demi-primals, bahamut changes to firebird. Cast it, and your Ruin 3 changes to something else, and it unlocks a healing ability, and a big death-flare like thing.

Then it goes primals, bahamut, primals, firebird, etc.

You have a few utility spells - a self shield, and aoe damage buff, energy drain/fester. Just use them as they come up / as appropriate.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 18, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Also I need a melee to round out the 5 roles but I absolutely loathe split combos because I invariably lose my place and forget which one should go when; is there a melee that doesn't have split combos :(

Reaper sounds like what you want. Starts at level 70, and has only one single-target combo that builds a meter to let you use your big non-combo attacks, which in turn build resources to fuel your transformation that unlocks the rest of your big non-combo attacks.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Additional notes:

In order to do any summoning, you heed to have Carbuncle out. Carbuncle does very little, it is there for vital emotional support, mostly. When you don't have another summon actively doing abilties, though, it can give you a shield.

At cap, the summons and demi-summons give you enough buttons that you should only need to cast Ruin one or two times per bahamut/phoenix cycle.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Macaluso posted:

Holy poo poo same

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really have to wonder why Flow puts the emphasis on the exactly wrong syllable for no apparent reason so frequently. These artists have hit the nail on the head so often that it can't be accidental.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The personal shield for summoner is a bit weird since it is only available when carbuncle is carbuncle. So you can't use it while Bahamut or Phoenix are active, or within about five seconds of summoning Ifrit/Titan/Garuda. It lasts 30 seconds so once you're familiar with a fight you can cast it early, at least.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Rand Brittain posted:

I really have to wonder why Flow puts the emphasis on the exactly wrong syllable for no apparent reason so frequently. These artists have hit the nail on the head so often that it can't be accidental.

I think it's a combination of (a) the lyrics being written after the melody and having to force some fits in and (b) Michael Christopher Koji-Fox is not likely to be confused with Lin-Manuel Miranda anytime soon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

That's true, as Koji-Fox knows how to write good lyrics. :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flow is one of my favourite songs in the game but Hydaelyn can gently caress off with that 'brave little spark' nonsense. What are we, ten?