Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Calypso posted:

Thanks for the chuckle.

It is you who are giving us the chuckle.

So thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

It is you who are giving us the chuckle.

So thanks. :)

Always happy to help!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is Sandstorm the most widely known electronic song of all time? If not, what do you think would be? Or if so, what would #2 be? Firestarter? Halcyon + On + On?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

hooah posted:

We recently bought a sandbox that has a fabric cover that's not quite a tarp, and as such is not quite waterproof. Is there something I can use to coat it to improve its water repellent qualities?

Something like nikwax (may not be available in your country).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Is Sandstorm the most widely known electronic song of all time? If not, what do you think would be? Or if so, what would #2 be? Firestarter? Halcyon + On + On?

It's probably impossible to answer definitively, but I have to guess that Popcorn and Axel F are top contenders for having been around and very ubiquitous for a much longer time than Sandstorm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rockit by Herbie Hancock should probably be up there as well.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V4ClJZME4

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

"Oh, I love Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx!" is what people who don't listen to electro always tell me when I say I like listening to electro.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I forgot Get Lucky which is probably in the top 10 at least

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't listen to electronic music at all, so I'm going to guess it's something like 'Get Lucky' or 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' because those are the only ones that I've heard that I can recognize off the top of my head.

Listening to the others mentioned here, I'm pretty sure I've heard Sandstorm before because it seems vaguely familiar, but if you put in the background of a youtube video or a commercial or something there's no chance I'd recognize it and go "Oh, hey, that's Sandstorm".

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

does the mario theme count?

if we’re just talking dance music…’vogue’?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Blue Monday by New Order maybe?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of any Firefox extension that will fill out those birth date prompts automatically? I hate them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There's a thing where people forward scam calls to an automated sound board that randomly plays clips of what I think sounded like a kind of older Australian fellow? You guys know what I'm talking about? I thought it was called "It's Harold" but it's not, and I'm not sure how to Google this...

Edit: I was almost right, it's called It's Lenny.

credburn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What's that famous quote that goes "if this be A, then give me B. If this be B, then give me A"?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

kedo posted:

"Oh, I love Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx!" is what people who don't listen to electro always tell me when I say I like listening to electro.

Had to look it up! Its awful, thank you!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Had to look it up!

:ohno:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Had to look it up! Its awful, thank you!

You're welcome! Never listen to it again, and you may avoid it burrowing deep into your brain like the insidious parasite it is.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

regulargonzalez posted:

What's that famous quote that goes "if this be A, then give me B. If this be B, then give me A"?

"If this is coffee, bring me tea; if this is tea, bring me coffee." The most common attribution is Abraham Lincoln.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

regulargonzalez posted:

I forgot Get Lucky which is probably in the top 10 at least

Seriously, I bet more people know the Doctor Who theme than Sandstorm or anything by Daft Punk, by at least an order of magnitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRuhCflRyg

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hyperlynx posted:

Seriously, I bet more people know the Doctor Who theme than Sandstorm or anything by Daft Punk, by at least an order of magnitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRuhCflRyg

Dr Who isn't really a thing outside of the UK and maybe marginally America

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Dr. WHo is pretty huge in America.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never known a single Dr Who fan in my life and I’ve lived in America for drat near 50 years. I’m sure there’s fans here. But huge? No.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Eh I think it was pretty popular in the nerd circles when they rebooted it. Kind of lost some of that now but it’s been ten years so not unexpected.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I saw a Bad Wolf sticker just yesterday here in Austin, so they are out there just may not show it as much as other fanbases.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve never known a single Dr Who fan in my life and I’ve lived in America for drat near 50 years. I’m sure there’s fans here. But huge? No.

That's because most of the fans are 20-40 years younger than you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

That's because most of the fans are 20-40 years younger than you.

Fair enough, my point was I wouldn’t describe it as “huge.” It has its niche, and plenty of devoted fans. But most Americans don’t know what a tardis or sonic screwdriver is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fair enough, my point was I wouldn’t describe it as “huge.” It has its niche, and plenty of devoted fans. But most Americans don’t know what a tardis or sonic screwdriver is.

The question isn't about most Americans, though, is it? It's about whether Doctor Who has a bigger fanbase than electronic dance music. I honestly don't know either way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a bit from Kernkraft 400 that got a lot of play at pretty much every sports event a while back. That's gotta be a contender.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anecdotally I've found Dr. Who fans are absolutely positive that Dr. Who is a cultural phenomenon the world over and that everyone knows what the show is about, but people who aren't Dr. Who fans have absolutely no clue who or what he is, especially in America.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The question was what electronic music piece would the most people recognize. I interpret that as "oh I've heard that." The latest Daft Punk hit might be playing all over the place in your life, but it hasn't been around that long and longevity is going to put it in more people's ears, of different ages. There's also where people might have heard it, so things that get used a lot in soundtracks and commercials and stuff will enjoy a big advantage.

Popcorn was a very early electronic song (1969) and randomly shows up in the background of all kinds of things. I feel like nearly everyone who hears it thinks oh I've heard that before, even if almost nobody can name it.

Axel F and Chariots of Fire both had big popular movie roles decades ago, enjoyed significant success and radio play outside of the film, AND have been used a ton ever since in parodies and similar genre things. So I think they'd be in top running too.

The Dr. Who theme is an interesting thought, I'm personally very skeptical though. It has a very devoted cult following but most people have never seen it, and I don't know that it's been used outside of the show in parodies, radio play, etc. I've certainly never heard it. But (assuming it's been the same song throughout the show's run) it does have longevity going for it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

"If this is coffee, bring me tea; if this is tea, bring me coffee." The most common attribution is Abraham Lincoln.

Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Actually, I've had a thought and I now think the most widely recognized electronic song might be the Cisco phones hold music song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfm17fWSqY

Really great Radiolab episode about this song.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Actually, I've had a thought and I now think the most widely recognized electronic song might be the Cisco phones hold music song

Oh god this brings back memories and none of them are good.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

I've never heard this song before in my life

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

regulargonzalez posted:

Ok, now I know the company responsible. It always reminds me of that Xbox game Crackdown.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've never heard past about the first minute of that song because it seems like every service that uses it just loops that 1 minute endlessly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Sounds better over a crackly rear end landline connection imo

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaymcVmJ-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020