Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Orange Devil posted:

If you don't enjoy deckbuilding do not play LotR LCG.

I would agree with this but there are sooo many good resources for decks and tips for LotR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Can’t wait for this to drop stateside.

I’ve seen people saying their local stores have it or that FFG and other online sites have shipped it so you should be able to find it. Or at least have it on the way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve seen people saying their local stores have it or that FFG and other online sites have shipped it so you should be able to find it. Or at least have it on the way.
I've got it coming from Miniature Market and they seem to still have plenty of copies available:
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgmc27en.html

I used to use CoolStuffInc a lot but in the past year, I think they've drastically reduced their inventory (maybe related to COVID-related shipping delays) because they sold out on release day.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 10, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have a subscription with my FLGS, so I get it when they get it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I played some solo two handed today to continue to try out my decks, and I faced off against 2 more villains.

Mysterio: Two handed is a bit of work against him because Mysterio has A LOT going on. His whole shtick is basically throwing the encounter deck into your deck so when you draw the encounter cards from your deck you have to play it as a facedown encounter. It clogs up your deck a little and it makes it so you can have some turns where you might have 3-4 encounter cards waiting to pop. It also means lots of shuffling which is why solo is terrible. However, the good thing is that this is not nearly as huge a problem as Ronan is because they made sure most of his cards are smaller effects, so Mysterio is kind of like “death by a thousand cuts” he does a lot of small stuff and it can add up. Ghost Spider got manhandled a bit because she kept drawing cards that would sack allies or persona and support/upgrades. It meant I couldn’t get her engine running as efficient as I wanted it. However, her taking all the flack left Miles to build his board and then we managed to steamroll at the end. This was a lot of fun. I didn’t realize some stuff right off the bat so I’m looking forward to replaying it.

Sinister Six: This was a blast. You constantly have a member of the Sinister Six coming into play and sometimes you’ll get more out. The big thing with this one is that they have small HP amount so you can do some pretty good damage to constantly send them packing. Which you want to do because if you defeat one you can remove 7 threat from a side scheme (4 if multiple villains are out). the reason for this is that you win by burning down a side scheme that’s in play. A total of 55 threat on a 2 player game. The modular set that is paired with it has a bunch of side schemes that do crazy things, but the whole point is to then burn the villains to get those out without having to thwart them. The big concern is making sure you’re still taking care of the main scheme while that’s happening. It’s a pretty fun fight. I think it leans a tiny bit on the easier side of things, but I’m okay with that because the fight is interesting mechanically. This is also where you see a lot of “if you’re playing on expert” cards so if you’re an expert playing that will help modify things a bit.

I’m also super happy with Gwen and Miles and I think this is the first time I think they’ve nailed both heroes in a box. I didn’t care much for Spectrum, Groot, or Hawkeye. The SHIELD deck I tweaked a bit but it’s amazingly strong and has some great combos, and I’ve got Gwen going where she’s one of the best blockers in the game.

I think this is easily the best box they’ve designed, and I’m excited to see what the next box has in store.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Spectrum I thought was pretty great interest I didn't read the fine print that she can't flip energy forms like ant-man or Wasp can switch sizes and that just cripples her hard in my book. Yes, she still has a lot of cards to change her forms but without a free flip you lose a lot of general control options and end up having to waste a lot. What a disappointment. I might just house rule that she has Visions's ability on her hero form so she can swap whenever.

In other news my boxes have arrived ahead of schedule is seems so I look forward to cracking into them, of course I was a moron and forgot to order extra card sleeves so I gotta wait another week for those to arrive now. But they've also arriving with Hickman's X-Men omnibus which I'm excited to read and will get me pumped for that deluxe coming later in the year.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yup, why I don’t like Spectrum is exactly the same. Not having control of when I can change forms just really bothered me, especially when I really needed to do so but couldn’t. It was a neat idea that doesn’t live up to execution.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Yup, why I don’t like Spectrum is exactly the same. Not having control of when I can change forms just really bothered me, especially when I really needed to do so but couldn’t. It was a neat idea that doesn’t live up to execution.

It's so arbitrary as everyone else in the game can switch their forms pretty much at will. It's dumb that the person who can literally do it as the speed of light needs another mechanic to make it happen.

I guess I really wouldn't mind it as much if this game was better balanced around being able to switch back and forth between hero and alter-ego, but every hero that comes out that has any sort of interesting alter-ego ability I know I'm going to be rarely able to use because double scheme = death in 80% of the scenarios. It's why I've just started playing almost exclusively justice in true solo.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I mostly play 4P, and I've been having a blast with Spectrum. The ability to be what the other line-up is missing is often helpful, and if the other three players cover the Attack/Defend/Thwart spread, being able to cycle through and give the other players an easy turn is really nice.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Met my playmate for a a handoff of Valkyrie and Sinister Motives and since we were right next to s game store we popped in for a quick game using the precons and proxied Standard to try out Standard Sandman.

Pretty good, Ghost-Spider was really everything I was hoping she was, only really held back by the precon. She's really going to shine in this Justice build I was assembling for her last night.

Miles also seemed good, but what his deck more showed off was how crazy strong a Jessica Drew Justice/Leadership S.H.I.E.L.D. deck is going to be.

Looking forward to doing the campaign this weekend!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I fought Venom Goblin and wow, that is a real slugfest. It can get out of control quick and I was sure I lost a couple of times but got some amazing turns to keep me in it. I did screw up a couple times (it will happen in a 3 hour game) but I’m confident it wasn’t anything that would have lost me a game.

I think the big strategy for him is taking in a Justice deck that can do big multiple thwarts. The SHIELD deck did help quite a bit. Webbed up on a hero is rough. When Miles got it a second time, I just left it and focused 100% on thwart while I left Ghost Spider able to push damage. I absolutely love that her damage and thwart cards are responses as you can use them when on the defensive which means when a nasty minion comes out from a boost you can Ghost Kick it in the face. Next time I’m up against him I might try my Black Panther deck that runs the Alliance card where you can thwart against all the schemes at once.

He’s pretty rough, and I think definitely requires a Justice deck, but doesn’t feel as bad as Loki or Ronan. I’m confident in saying now that this is the best expansion they’ve released so far.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm on to Slick Gobby now. We'll see how it goes.

Trip report so far:
Venom took two tries on Standard because I blindly pushed the second phase and was unprepared to immediately deal with the extra encounter card side scheme. This was rectified in the second fight along with getting out Wraith for some protection against the boost effect upgrade that gives Venom overkill. Very smooth design. I was worried that the bell tower gimmick was going to be too gimmicky but it was actually quite nice. I built up a decent like of tokens on it then coasted off them.

Mysterio was a bit more fun than I thought he'd be as well. The cards in the player deck gimmick was enjoyable and very thematic.

Sinister Six seemed really tough from the outset but was actually not that bad to deal with. Having of bunch of them out was very helpful in blowing through the second phase and Beat Cop really did business in this match up.

Totally agree so far that this is a great deluxe. Maybe not beating MTS because I really love the Black Order and Thanos, and that Hela scenario is one of my favorites. But this is a lot better than GMW and a bit better than RoRS.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Venom Goblin is down after the third attempt. First two attempts ended in failure due to the hilariously stupid Advanced Glider card. Third attempt I finally got enough board control to where I had George Stacy with a Pirouette and Punch banked under, and Spycraft out so I was prepared for any attempt he made to get that stupid Glider on the board. Once again the Beat Cops really did a lot of work controlling threat and I was eventually able to bank two Ghost Kicks and then drew the third before pushing his second phase to kill him on his attack before he ever got a chance to bombard me with encounter cards. The other "bullshit" he has is the Upper Manhattan side scheme and using the beat cops I was pretty much able to ensure it never triggered from having either the least or the most threat on it. My first thought is that Venom Goblin is "harder" than Loki but in a challenging way that makes it more fun to play(except when he gets that broken Advanced Glider out). Loki represented the worst aspect of solo play which is that flipping down and having the villain double scheme is an auto loss, but expanded that into two handed play, where even a single player flipping down could result in a hideous amount of threat hitting the board.

I really can't imagine him at Expert level, as being forced to trigger those main schemes every turn would be just extremely painful.

Deck was:
Ghost-Spider

Ghost-Spider
Packs: From Core Set to Sinister Motives

Upgrades
1x Sense of Justice (Quicksilver)
1x Ticket to the Multiverse (Sinister Motives)
2x Web-Bracelet (Sinister Motives)
1x Heroic Intuition (Core Set)
1x Skilled Investigator (The Rise of Red Skull)
1x Endurance (Ms. Marvel)
1x Under Surveillance (Thor)
1x Counterintelligence (Black Widow)
1x Spycraft (Black Widow)

Events
2x Lay Down the Law (Ant-man)
3x Making an Entrance (Venom)
2x One Way or Another (Nebula)
3x Ghost Kick (Sinister Motives)
1x Parental Guidance (Sinister Motives)
3x Phantom Flip (Sinister Motives)
2x Pirouette and Punch (Sinister Motives)
2x Web Binding (Sinister Motives)
2x Warning (Doctor Strange)
2x Foiled! (Doctor Strange)

Supports
2x Beat Cop (Hulk)
1x George Stacy (Sinister Motives)
1x Avengers Mansion (Core Set)
1x Helicarrier (Core Set)

Resources
2x The Power of Justice (Core Set)
1x Energy (Core Set)
1x Genius (Core Set)
1x Strength (Core Set)

Allies
1x Ironheart (Wasp)
1x Wiccan (Scarlet Witch)
1x Blade (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x Eros (Nebula)
1x Wraith (Nebula)
1x Agent Coulson (Black Widow)
1x Quake (Black Widow)

Avengers Mansion just a bit too expensive for this deck. The Lay Down the Laws could also be cut. Lay Down the Law was meant to provide a means for me to drop down and recover and then heal the next turn but still be able to flip back and do something(while also removing a lot of the threat that was accrued from the enemy scheme). Unfortunately, I don't usually like sitting on cards and I think that only ever actually happened once; the rest of the time they were just used for resources. Making an Entrance was really a great card here. Foiled didn't really see a lot of use, as the villains didn't seem to have a lot of extra schemes in hero form which was surprising. So I'd definitely cut those. Counterintelligence has been a staple of my recent builds and continued to be great here as being able to help prevent that threat from stacking up while in alter-ego is very necessary.

Cards I would add would probably be a bit more damage via some Stealth Strikes as I had some trouble at points dealing with thicker minions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Put together the Spider-Woman SHIELD deck last night and boy howdy did that rock rear end. Took it straight in against VenGob and wrecked him. The funny thing is that Monica Chang and her Snoop Team were totally unnecessary to the deck but I can't cut them because there's too many good leadership options. I'm definitely cutting the other Avengers out so I can use Call for Aid and get Captain Marvel out faster. Stinger might still make the cut though because she's so helpful for Strength in Numbers.
Strength in Numbers is a card I never really used a lot but planned to build around someday and it slots extremely well in this deck given the hideous amount of resources Jessica can effectively field in this deck. The funny thing is that Jessica Drew is so good on her own at this point tossing a gimmick on top of her is a little silly, Homeland Intervention being able to be used from alter-ego form is going to be extremely strong in multiplayer, and it was crazy good even here in solo. However the star of the show was Global Logistics, what a broken card that is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PaybackJack posted:

I'm on to Slick Gobby now. We'll see how it goes.

Trip report so far:

Sinister Six seemed really tough from the outset but was actually not that bad to deal with. Having of bunch of them out was very helpful in blowing through the second phase and Beat Cop really did business in this match up.

Remember that those are villains, not minions, so beat cop can’t blow them up.

Went through with War machine and custom rescue, then miles along side custom black widow/Maria Hill/mockingbird. Highlight of the campaign was calling in an airstrike on all six members of the sinister six at once, sending them back to Pleasant Hill in a bucket. I think that mission is balanced around solo, because if you have a second player, it’s extremely easy to knock them down the second they pop up.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 15, 2022

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Remember that those are villains, not minions, so beat cop can’t blow them up.

Nah, just thwarting with the Beat Cops is more than enough I think I ended the game with 11 counters on one and 8 on another. I rarely use beat cop to blow up an minion unless it's a significant threat.

On another topic, I posted a deck to the DB that's a Jessica Drew deck that "never" flips. So far I've beaten Sandman, Venom, Mysterio and Sinister Six all in Standard mode with it. You can literally stay in alter-ego the whole game, but if you want to flip up to thwart or play Pheromones you obviously *could* but it's not necessary to; you can literally sit in alter-ego and just use Jessica for Global Logistics, Homeland Intervention, or Dum Dum, and win.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If that’s true, why do you have stinger? She can only be played from avengers form.

This deck evokes ‘Natasha Romanov playing poker’, which with the shield trait, could also do all these things but not as effectively.

I tried building a protection deck with the new protection cards for Natasha, but she really wants new things that preparations can do and there aren’t many. The parachute and the widow bites are already clutch!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

If that’s true, why do you have stinger? She can only be played from avengers form.

This deck evokes ‘Natasha Romanov playing poker’, which with the shield trait, could also do all these things but not as effectively.

I tried building a protection deck with the new protection cards for Natasha, but she really wants new things that preparations can do and there aren’t many. The parachute and the widow bites are already clutch!

Make the Call can bring her into play while in alter-ego.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I keep forgetting how weird make the call is.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SP//DR has been revealed.

Lots of cool stuff here. The gimmick is kind of weird mechanically, flipping and attaching. Thematic but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of interplay beyond that. 3 Handsize is pretty crippling, but I guess we'll see how bad it really is. Once Peni gets setup she looks like a beast.

Some of the protection cards look great as well. Spider-Tingle and Thwip! Thwip! are massive boosts Protection Miles or Gwen.

Spider-Man Noir seems not great. I guess if you build a deck specifically around keeping him alive you could get some good value out of him. I guess he might be good in 3-4 player games where his ability wouldn't take 2 turns to reach full potential. I don't like the idea of dropping an ally for 3 cost that I'm not going to be doing anything with for 2-3 turns to where I can maximize his value.

Between SP//DR and Ironheart I hope you can actually survive long enough to make it to the endgame where they start to shine. They look very slow.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 21, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Playing a defence deck it will be easy to get him to where he needs to be. Defence allies can stay out a long time if you want them to. That deck looks absolutely killer and I’m incredibly psyched for it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some of the new Web Warrior cards are very cool and it legit sucks rear end that the actual Spider-Man cannot use ANY of these great cards. Feeds into that new Unshakeable card which I guess could serve as a bit of a lame band-aid for Hulk but I dislike that Fantasy Flight is so averse to simply putting forth a print-out re-configured card or something in instances like this, but oh well.

Good news is this is just one more upgrade for Thor, who constantly gets better in every wave. Having Unshakeable on him or Drax (the better Hulk, honestly) is gonna be great.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Ironheart pack hit one of the Discords earlier today and it's up on Hall of Heroes now:

https://hallofheroeslcg.com/ironheart-riri-williams/

Some interesting stuff there. And apparently it's from an Australian vendor so perhaps this means FFG's supply issues here are finally resolved!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Go All Out seems really good for Leadership decks. Pretty cool how they finally put that "Genius" keyword to good use; Iron Man could use that Ingenuity card for even more card play. Also really loving how every character pack now gets all these optional modular encounters to play with.

On another note, I missed One By One and Pitchback from the Sp//der deck---yet another 2 cards to potentially slot into Thor. If you play Thor then you're gonna be eating real fuckin good with all the cards in that pack.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Quicksilver loves that R&D Facility. Combine that with his own cards, buff up everything and finish them off with a giant Go All Out.

Ingenuity is another great card that buffs up Hulk and Iron Man.

Pinpoint is going to be amazing for Protection Spider-Miles. Recycle MORE of his cards? Yes, please!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I do love that Cloud 9 is shown giving a bonus to Aerial characters, right next to a character with wings who does not have the Aerial trait.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

I do love that Cloud 9 is shown giving a bonus to Aerial characters, right next to a character with wings who does not have the Aerial trait.

Of all the MTG memes they could have brought into the game, right?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe the wings are just for show. Or they only allow a bit of however. Or maybe they don’t think too hard about traits that really would be obvious to anyone.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1. Pitchback & one by one are from Nova
2. Put the Web Warrior trait on Spider-Man and cut Avenger, Who could possibly be mad at
2. Using a three cost double mental leadership card, to give bonuses thrice to QS is hard. Super cheap attack events and honed reflex(?) seems cool. Plus one attack after playing an attack event, and you can have three of them. Combined with jarbjorn you can wreck face even faster.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Nova spoilers are out in the wild

Looks cool. Dig the Champions Mobile Transport, draw and discard effects are always great and being able to do it for other players is cool.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The champions faction filled out fast. All we’re really missing is Young Cyclops.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Rules question, spoiler for Scenario #4 in Sinister Motives.

The When Defeated trigger allows the removal of threat from a scheme, but Scorpion's attachment says we can't remove threat from Light at the End. Is this attachment still in play during the When Defeated trigger?

We played as if the attachment was still in play so we couldn't remove threat from Light at the End but weren't sure.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 7, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelchampionslcg/comments/ujzw05/micheal_boggs_leaving_ffg/

one of the two main designers for Champions is leaving, bummer. We probably won't be seeing anything involving his replacement til next year though, after the Mutant Genesis stuff happening later in 2022.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Edit: Guess I was wrong.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 7, 2022

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

Radioactive Toy posted:

Rules question, spoiler for Scenario #4 in Sinister Motives.

The When Defeated trigger allows the removal of threat from a scheme, but Scorpion's attachment says we can't remove threat from Light at the End. Is this attachment still in play during the When Defeated trigger?

We played as if the attachment was still in play so we couldn't remove threat from Light at the End but weren't sure.

You played it right because the when defeated triggers before the card exit play. According to one of the designers.

quote:

“When Defeated” abilities resolve before that card is discarded. Effectively, the moment the game recognizes that the card is defeated, the “When Defeated” ability goes off. After that, it is placed into the discard pile. In the case of Hydra Soldier and 1 card remaining in the encounter deck, the order of operations is:

Losem fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 7, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CitizenKeen posted:

I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

I can’t really answer your question but I wanted to let you know there’s a dedicated Arkham Horror thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I can’t really answer your question but I wanted to let you know there’s a dedicated Arkham Horror thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

Thank you!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So here’s FFG’s fix for characters who don’t have the Web Warrior trait but should

https://twitter.com/ffgames/status/1526940856766316546?s=21&t=C97Fd2JlA7EG4SWIZRW_3w

It’s not ideal as you still have to search for the upgrade to then start to be able to play the other Web Warrior cards with regularity, but it’s something. Could always house rule it to be there at setup but without the bonus it gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
FFG has shown with Arkham that they're willing to errata cards pretty aggressively. I don't understand why they're so reticent with Marvel.