Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pirate seems fun. It's expensive and looks like it might be slow, but 1: you gain it to your hand like Mine and 2: it triggers on any player, so you can play some other action, gain a silver and then play a Pirate. It is also on 'gain' and not 'buy' so it can also trigger off things like Mountebank (and something more relevant since that card is already expensive and bonkers). 5 still feels a smidge expensive, but this is commonly going to gain you a gold without an action.

I'd go compare it to other 'Gain a Gold' cards, but the wiki is just so darn slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Amby, noooo! Gone are the days of ending the game by smugly giving someone a Province. And also the days when that someone could opt to take a Changeling instead. And Lookout survives! hooray!
Pirate seems much better in every way than Explorer, especially opening up to gaining other Treasures, which tend to be more interesting than Gold. And the Reaction is cool too. Basically all of the hardcore Dominion players have yelled about yellow being purple long enough that DXV is now basically begging you to take a Treasure card into your deck.
Corsair seems like a decent way of doing the Pirate Ship thing, but making it actually hurtful. Yanking other players off big money strategy by killing their big money. I'm not sure if it's great outside of that, but that's a nice card-type to have in the game.
Sailor... well, besides being no Ambassador, he seems OK. Playing cards immediately is useful, and as they're Duration cards, they'll be useful to be in play even if you gain them during your buy phase. 2 dollars and a trash... honestly, that seems pretty generous on its own. Non-terminal trashing is always welcome, no matter how slow it is.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Playing some previews, and the new cards are a silly set

this was enabled with Cavalry and Academy, with Horn of Plenty thrown in for good measure. Led to a fun, lopsided game where one turn you had your opponent draw your deck for you and you could go wild, followed by a tragic turn where you realized you didn't actually have much draw. .games needs a monkey icon though, to let you know just how generous you're being when drawing a card for someone else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

Amby, noooo!

You maniacs! You blew it all up!

God drat you all to hell!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
And now for the Seaside 2E Secret History. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21231.0

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rip ambassador, but yeah glad lookout survived

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is there a street date on Seaside 2E yet? I saw that the date got pushed back (again) to June but nothing more specific.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The secret history implies we’re getting another expansion this year. That’s a lot of new Dominion in one year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like this is the most interesting day overall for the previews, although Monkey is still my favorite card due to all the combo possibilities.

Pirate is a significant upgrade to Explorer, also letting you grab non-Gold treasures and play the card at really dynamic times which is neat. The fact that you can play it on your own turn without spending an action by gaining a treasure makes it instantly more than Explorer, which basically had you hoping to draw a terminal with a vp card (yuck)

Corsair is likewise a much cooler version of Pirate Ship that doesn't dominate some games while stinking others. The multi-faceted resources is a nice subtle twist that (money now, cards later) that differentiates it from other durations, and the attack is neat (still trashing treasures, but letting your opponent make the decision and still get the benefit)

Sailor is extra cool for using the same trick he learned with split piles and letting the card just combo off itself in the absence of other durations. Of course since the number of durations in the set is fully doubled in this edition (as well as there being more durations in recent sets) it should be more common to see multiple durations even in a massive all sets mix.

garthoneeye posted:

The secret history implies we’re getting another expansion this year. That’s a lot of new Dominion in one year.

Holy hell just finishing and caught this, what a massive windfall of Dominion goodness!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Every time I think I'll order a new printed version of the Complete Dominion Companion, more stuff gets announced

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I wonder if we will similarly get Prosperity 2nd edition previews this or next week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really curious what'll get taken out of Prosperity 2E. Base, Intrigue and Seaside all had some well known awkward/controversial/dud cards but I thought Prosperity was all pretty solid.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Yeah, in the "What I'd do with a Dominion Time Machine" retrospective Donald X. straight up said "Whatever cards could be improved, it would not worth spending time improving them." That was somehow a decade ago, though, and the time machine isn't hypothetical anymore so I guess he found some nits worth his time to pick.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 23, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Looking at the card list, what jumps out to me:
Blank Card. Free slot.
A lot of the Treasure cards are dubious.
Loan. Single card trashing that can easily flip all of your good stuff. Risky and annoying. And you only have 7 coppers to trash.
Royal Seal. Benefit is not sexy enough for expensive Silver.
Venture. Flip all of your exciting cards to play a boring treasure. I'll be amazed if this one survives.
Trade Route. Terminal single-card trashing with no benefit at all during the early game when you're doing trashing.
Bishop. Pros scoff at it because the VP gain is not strong enough for letting the other guy piggyback.
Monument. VP gain doesn't make terminal silver attractive or interesting.
Counting House. Requires you to have a deck full of copper, and to draw this at the end of your shuffle. Pretty much junk!
Mounteback & Goons are both very strong attacks... maybe too strong. Mountie especially.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Counting House has some cute niche usages so I hope it stays. For me the least exciting card in Prosperity is Bank, wouldn't mind it being reworked/replaced into a more interesting 7 cost.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Loan is in the realm of cards that are fun but bad that a second edition fix could be great

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm partial to Venture, Bank, Bishop, and to a lesser extent Monument. I imagine Bishop and Monument are a "both stay or both go" thing, depending on whether VP Tokens will still be a thing in Prosperity. That's also a likely reason Trade Route is gonna go, Tokens specific to one card were a solid reason to cut a card on Seaside.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I had forgotten that Trade Route had tiddlywinks, that's definitely for the chop then. I think VP chips are probably staying - DXV loved the mechanic so much he revisited it for whatever expansion Groundkeeper is in. I just think some VP cards might be more exciting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mega64 posted:

I'm partial to Venture, Bank, Bishop, and to a lesser extent Monument. I imagine Bishop and Monument are a "both stay or both go" thing, depending on whether VP Tokens will still be a thing in Prosperity. That's also a likely reason Trade Route is gonna go, Tokens specific to one card were a solid reason to cut a card on Seaside.

Trade Route will almost definitely be given the axe due to the extraneous tokens (although I could see its replacement being something that still cares about victory cards being purchased), but if anything I think Prosp 2nd Ed. will get more VP token using cards, not less. I doubt they will get rid of all three VP token generators (Goons is the third) and it was a fun new mechanic that was introduced in Prosp that has recently been reused in a recent set (Empires). It's also something that can be stapled onto a lot of pretty vanilla ideas while adding a fun variation since these are still sets that are ostensibly geared more toward beginners.

Surprised to not see Mint mentioned as a probable axe. While it can be insane in Platinum games, it will mostly be a $5 gold gainer, and there are now a ton of those (including one that was just added to Seaside v2) that do more fun stuff and don't require the extra annoying step of drawing a $5 terminal with the gold you want to copy. I could see another card getting a similar on buy trash effect (or maybe "on gain" since he seems to be more about removing that distinction lately) and maybe something that has the general flavor of "gain a powerful treasure" but with a more appealing fallback option.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I had forgotten that Trade Route had tiddlywinks, that's definitely for the chop then. I think VP chips are probably staying - DXV loved the mechanic so much he revisited it for whatever expansion Groundkeeper is in. I just think some VP cards might be more exciting.

I mainly don't think he will do more Action/Victory or other Kingdom Victory cards because he's talked extensively about how 1) there's not a ton of variations to actually do for Kingdom Victory cards and he's explored most of them 2) the Type/Victory cards were already an Intrigue thing and you don't need to repeat that 3) to the extent that you can make something new in those first two categories he just did in Allies with the split piles to add some variety, as well as doing a ton of victory condition variety with the Landmarks in Empires.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Looking at the card list, what jumps out to me:
Blank Card. Free slot.
There's not enough blanks in Prosperity for a new card (you need 11) so the assumption is that 9 cards need to go to get 9 new ones.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21253.0

First previews for Prosperity 2E are up. Mountebank is dead, alongside Counting House. Expect better Treasures in the next previews.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Magnate looks like a love letter to big money decks that are mostly money but want a little draw. Though in those circumstances, it's going to top out at +4 cards, and frequently a lot weaker. It's tricky to fit it into engine decks, because it needs you to be carrying a load of money. But still, it's a draw card.
Charlatan is weird. The top line is not massively exciting, it's just a witch but w/ money instead of cards and therefore probably worse overall. The bottom line is... peculiar? You're still not going to want Curses in your deck, but when you get them now it's not as bad. It's a fairly weak junker that makes junking not as powerful.
War Chest seems cool. I like Sunken Treasure a lot, so this also seems cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol the Mountebank to Charlatan change is brilliant. You still get a curse and a copper but only because the curse is the copper! I think $3 is valued higher than +2 cards because it’s guaranteed payoff and you’re not potentially drawing dead actions or victory or curse cards. Curse being copper blunts that advantage somewhat tho and evens it out while also being a fairly interesting twist.

I will miss Contraband honestly, I think a cheaper gold with a buy comes in handy more often than his breakdown implies. On the other hand in “vanilla” games (without Col and Plat basically) this new card does what Contraband usually does which is gain extra cards that aren’t Province or Gold.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I will genuinely miss Mountebank and idk if Charlatan is good but it's a very fun idea for a a card

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mountebank could be so miserable especially because you could just continue to junk. At the very least it could’ve also contained a “if they do (gain a curse) they also gain a copper” clause.

We never outright banned Mountebank but we did institute a house rule that stated you couldn’t get a 5/2 with it, because we had a memorable game where someone who opened 5/2 Mounte was slowly buying out Colonies at a rate of one every other turn while the rest of us were struggling to get to like $4.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Removing Mountebank is some supremely coward poo poo. gently caress your deck.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Eat the rich with Rats.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I liked Mountebank well enough as long as the kingdom had SOMETHING do about it, but Charlatan looks so much more interesting. Other cards that care about "treasures" will keep it weird and cool.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 2 of Prosperity 2E previews:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21255.0

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Crystal Ball looks wonderful, I can see that becoming a personal favourite pretty quickly.
And an attack that you can play without spending an action could be hilarious, even if it's not a particularly powerful effect.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A card named Crystal Ball should really cost a Potion, That's my only complaint. Seems much more useful than Venture.
Investment seems pretty useful but not massively killer. Trash a card, maybe get a dollar, or just some amount of VP if you've already hit your price point. But trashing is always welcome.
Clerk, probably doesn't need the reaction, but it does make it more interesting. It's basically on the same pegging as Militia, but you don't need to spend an action to play it. Probably worth having some!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd miss Venture but Crystal Ball is a straight-up better Venture so I'm not complaining.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Loan and Venture out?

RIP Tunnel

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tunnel was already dead.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The third and final day of Prosperity 2E.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21259.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tiara is pretty cute in wanting to get you topdecking. A dollar off, +buy, and the theoretical possibility of having a Platinum value. Or it could throne one of the weirder actiony treasures i guess.
Anvil - another workshop treasure! DXV really likes the idea. Well, Field's Gift (iirc) is often welcome, so giving the effect to a treasure seems like it will be good. But maybe making the gift into a card that you have to draw into your hand less appealing. I don't think it's massively strong.
Collection - Goons fun for people who ban Goons. Gaining VP for actions only is interesting, it will be intersecting to see how much that weakens the card.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I must have read it on the card, and on the button in the online implementation, but it took me drawing my deck to realize I had trashed my Investments to gain like, 2 VP.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Also, Royal Seal is, like Chancellor, a card that now only survives in its variants. Explaining the pun with Way of the Seal will take slightly longer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Collection will make Ruins into easy VP if you have a way on hand to trash them (especially via Death Cart or some other trash for benefit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
And the last of the content, the Prosperity 2E secret history. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21263.0