Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Which version of Pliers currently works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Which version of Pliers currently works?

I'm using Pliers Fixed. If there's other versions beyond the parent, I'm not aware of them.

e: And checking lead me to discover High Pressure Applications, which is one of the things I've been looking for and might be on someone else's wishlist, too.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm glad they made space travel easier in SO! but holy hell they did not make it any less fiddly. I've been avoiding it for 500 cycles just because pissing around with a rocket trying to satisfy every requirement to get it off the ground isn't super fun.

Then I got it up and away and realized I didn't put oxygen in it :ughh:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 13, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

literally the name of the game

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well it's included in the base game rockets!!!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Base game rockets sucked because they were simultaneously too simplified and complex for my brain to understand them.

Space Out rockets are still a pain at first, but at least I understand exactly why things go wrong.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I got it working and now that I understand that orbiting is an option it helps. Now to figure out the trailblazer module.

I think my biggest beef with base ONI space exploration was the incessant meteor showers. Just trying to manage that was a full time job and it wound being more of a grind than i really wanted to deal with

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, absolutely. The meteors were just a terrible idea all around.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's a cool idea but they were so goddamn frequent

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Acquiring all the steel to bunker up your base was definitely a good project but yeah I can't imagine doing the meteor defense thing more than once. It was exhausting.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Really it was an amazing confluence of things that I don't think got adequately playtested, and/or were too embedded to be change significantly on their schedule. Yeah, the meteor showers are bad but they could have been more manageable. However:

• You really need A LOT of steel to make bunker tiles. Also it's best if you can set up multiple scanners complete with automation to control bunker doors as well.
  • Meteors leave a ton of debris that needs to be dug out. That's either a lot of dupe labor (impractical) or a very involved autominer setup. Also meteor debris is very hot, so you need active cooling because the vacuum offers no heat transfer.
  • Any other tiles you use for cover won't last long and need to be repaired and replaced, which is a huge resource sink.
  • It's all at the top of the map which means a lot of travel time or extensive tubing. I tried jet suits once and it worked OK until they got stranded and died
  • And the aforementioned frequency means you could barely get dug out a lot of the time before you got hit again

Basically it becomes a full time job once you start space exploration. Obviously it's doable but I just never enjoyed it much. I can tinker with making machines run in the base all day, but man the rocketry was just a slog. SO!'s fiddliness is pretty minor by comparison. I also like that the rocket trips are shorter and there's more to do in terms of orbiting, deploying, etc.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Wait they got rid of metor showers?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On the first few asteroids in Spaced Out. Some of them do still have meteors as hazards.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
At long last we are boldly thrusting into space

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

700~ hours on record and never been to space. I'm gonna change that. Does anyone have a link to some rocket designs (I have SO)?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I do not and I'm sure my ships suck.

But your first few flights are sort of simple. To get space research data disks you just need a spaceship in orbit, with the proper machine (and its required supplies) on board..

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh and be sure to inspect every Gravitas artifact you can. you get data disks for most if not all of them. Disks are in short supply early on

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Snake your toilet piping and air ducts all around the usable space, they'll provide all the air/water storage you need for your first rocket, at least. Pumping the CO2 out again is a slightly more daunting task. You might need to deconstruct some items to make room for an air pump once the rocket lands again.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

AKZ posted:

700~ hours on record and never been to space. I'm gonna change that. Does anyone have a link to some rocket designs (I have SO)?

Check out John Francis's Oxygen Not Included videos on YouTube. He includes a savefile with every video.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

AKZ posted:

The biggest challenge is usually making the interior of the rocket into morale-boosting rooms, because oxygen/water/food are relatively easy to deal with.
Here are a couple of mine:
1) One-seater, for mapping or mining missions

Deconstruct the three regular tiles with storage on them and the room becomes a great hall. That storage is for convenience of loading up the rocket.
The box in the washroom is for oxylite, but putting an algae deoxidizer there works too.
The water for the toilet and sink is in the pipe snaking through the whole thing
The mini pipe and valve filter out carbon dioxide and dump it outside, oxygen is sent to the vent. The timer is wired to it because it doesn't need to run full-time
Remove the plant under refrigerator and move the other plastic tile two tiles up, remove the refrigerator and put the pilot seat there, this makes space for orbital research station while keeping all the bonuses.

2)Two-seater with atmosuit dock, for landing missions

Here you need not only deconstruct the tiles, but also construct the atmosuit checkpoint at the entrance point.
At destination one dupe drops with trailblazer and builds a landing pad. Rocket lands, connects power production, for example solar panels.
Also if you actively use atmosuits when landed at destination you'll have to replace pump to a full-sized one(you lose barrack bonus, but whatever, designate a nature reserve on the planet or something) or pump oxygen from the ourside.

Some of the stuff about rocket engines is pretty poorly explained too:
Oxidizers are not made equal, oxylite is twice as good as fertilizer, and liquid oxygen is twice as good as oxylite. So a tank with 450 kg of oxygen is enough for 1800 kg of fuel. Using better oxidizer saves you rocket space while keeping max range.
Engines rank about so from worst to best:
Carbon dioxide - just the worst all around, probably never worth using
Sugar rocket - not much more space or range than carbon dioxide but you can bring sugar and oxidizer and refuel anywhere you land
Steam - somewhat inconvenient to refuel, needs its own infrastructure to boil water and flies slow but a lot of module space. A good early engine overall.
Small petroleum - you need petroleum and oxidizer which may be harder to come by, but has quite a lot of range. Also logical upgrade path to large petroleum and hydrogen.
Radbolt - again needs its own infrastructure producing lots of radbolts, but a good all-rounder. Downside is it can't have more than 20 range ever. Use it if you have a nuclear reactor, it's basically a freebie then.
Large petroleum - if you have oxylite has slightly more module space than radbolt at same range(2 fuel tanks and 2 small oxidizer tanks). Unlike radbolt engine can extend the range by adding more fuel/oxidizer tanks. Can use liquid oxygen as oxidizer and reach as much as 40 range with it or free more module space.
Hydrogen - best all around, but obviously you need supercoolant to make liquid hydrogen.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 18, 2022

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

The biggest challenge is usually making the interior of the rocket into morale-boosting rooms, because oxygen/water/food are relatively easy to deal with.
Here are a couple of mine:

Thank you very much for this! I hate watching videos on this stuff because of the hemming and hawing and would rather just work from a blueprint document. I appreciate that write up.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've asphyxiated two scientists so far. I guess I missed something

How do I keep dupes from hanging out in rockets? I think part of the problem is they keep sitting in there and breathing and used a lot more algae than I realized

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Panty Saluter posted:

I've asphyxiated two scientists so far. I guess I missed something

How do I keep dupes from hanging out in rockets? I think part of the problem is they keep sitting in there and breathing and used a lot more algae than I realized

They have to pass through an airlock to get to the rocket, right? Restrict access to the airlock.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
On the rocket itself? I didn't see any options

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Panty Saluter posted:

On the rocket itself? I didn't see any options

No, on the path they take to get to the rocket's hatch. You have an airlock someplace to keep all your oxygen from getting vented into space, right?

e: If the last picture you posted is your current base, you've built a little bunker right next to the launchpad that has an airlock door. Restrict access to only left-to-right for all dupes (in case someone somehow manages to get outside), but only allow certain dupes to go right-to-left when it's time to do rocket stuff.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 18, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
No, I've just been using a transit tube so they don't bring any oxy masks or other suits with them. S'pose I could build a small vestibule around it though

e: that pic is pretty out of date now lol

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Disable the buildings they hang out at (Especially the toilet), mess tables, beds, rec devices …

Griz
May 21, 2001

can't you just set the rocket to crew only and then uncheck all the dupes in the crew list?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh is that what that does? I thought it was just to select certain groups of dupes to staff the rocket. That'll learn me to not read mouseover tips (lol no it won't)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Another useful one is "grounded mode" which you can set using the steering wheel inside the capsule. It'll disable most buildings in a single click, so you won't have dupes going to your barely oxygenated deathtrap to eat, sleep and pee. The benefit to that one is that it still allows access to drop off supplies so you can still restock everything.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well I am learning all sorts of fun things today

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Griz posted:

can't you just set the rocket to crew only and then uncheck all the dupes in the crew list?

That can be helpful as long as you remember nothing inside will get resupplied.

oh jay got the other one, I knew there was a grounded button but couldn’t remember where it was.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Algae runs out surprisingly fast, ~70kg per dupe per day.
You'll want to move to either oxylite (needs power and gold) or a gas tank feeding the gas outlets in the module. A gas storage tank can hold 6000kg of O2, enough for 100 cycles, easy way to keep a scientist going and no stress about it being used on land as long as it is plugged into a gas loader to refill. I also attach the direct inlet when landed to the base O2 supply, then dupes on board get to breath without using the onboard O2.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah snaking pipes got me just enough - and I do mean JUST enough oxygen for a brief ~4 cycle round trip to discover a planet and not much more. Now the trick is getting enough data banks for the high level research

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i snake a pipe, and also i use the high pressure vent. 22kg/tile ought to be enough for everyone. they get the popped ears debuff, but if your rocket has high enough comfort/morale it doesn't matter anyway

e: high pressure vent also murders any tiny pockets of co2 that might form despite the o2 pressure, as long as it's on ground floor

i don't remember exactly where i stole the basic design from but i refined it into these and use it for pretty much everything

first one is a telescope+research only rocket, works really well with the steam engine since it provides infinite power as long as it's turned on, and it's always on because it's slow. you can fly at full speed while telescoping, and then on the way back you get 30-50 data disks

second one is for moving dupes or colonizing new places early on, and just has the data disk thing so they don't all just idle on the way, you just have to manually rearm the oxygen mask/exosuit docks if you bring more than 2 dupes

both air and water overlays look the same (full blown pipe snake of both, one for oxygen, other for water for toilet), along with bridges that ensure fresh oxygen/water are circulated with outside supply when it's landed so it doesn't get into temperature issues (rocket interiors tend to freeze for me if i just let them idle without power)

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 19, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Wait, so do dupes need to be manually directed to use the telescope on the rocket?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, as long as the telescope is their highest priority task and it has power, they'll use it as long as there's an undiscovered hex nearby

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All the rockets I used in my last playthrough were designed for 2 dupes, but next time I make it into space I'll probably make 3 the default. Strip mining planets was so tedious with just 2, plus it'll be easier to make sure the team has a diverse set of skills, so I don't have to skill scrub someone because I happen to need a rancher to move around stubborn critters for example.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've tried to get into the DLC. Please help.

I typically megabase on vanilla, 40-70 dupes, infinitely sustainable bases, don't breach the surface until well past cycle 800. My current map is 1600 cycles, and the steam rockets are loaded but not launched yet.

What's my path towards making the DLC work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

-I would never have thought to build a telescope in the rocket, I saw the module and figured that was the way.
-Of course you're gonna want handwashing, what kind of idiot sends a dupe into space with just muckroot AND food poisoning? (Hint: it's me)
-YOU CAN MOVE THE PILOT SEAT? :aaa:
-I suppose at high pressure it's a moot point, but is there a reason for the metal tiles instead of airflow? Higher decor?