Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

So did Marvel turn She-Hulk back to her classic design because making her just a lady Hulk wasn’t working or just to match the MCU

Probably a little of both, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Codependent Poster posted:

She is more marketable and popular with her classic design. And in my opinion, a better character too.

Big, Sexy Ally McBeal She-Hulk is much more interesting to me and much more marketable than simple grunting She-Hulk. Her 80s Cheesecake Deadpool version has got more going on too.

Although to be fair I'm not amazingly interested in any of her iterations so what do I know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat this sucks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Big, Sexy Ally McBeal She-Hulk is much more interesting to me and much more marketable than simple grunting She-Hulk. Her 80s Cheesecake Deadpool version has got more going on too.

Although to be fair I'm not amazingly interested in any of her iterations so what do I know.

Also She-Hulk in Avengers only seemed to exist pretty much in that book because there was no way Aaron was going to get regular Hulk with Immortal Hulk going on.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

Also She-Hulk in Avengers only seemed to exist pretty much in that book because there was no way Aaron was going to get regular Hulk with Immortal Hulk going on.

Apparently Aaron wrote a whole tie-in issue to War of the Realms about how his She-Hulk is better than the old She-Hulk, so my guess is that there was a bit more going on there

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite the name, she-hulk was always very distinct from he-hulk. i didn't hate what aaron did with her, but he still removed most of what made jen different from bruce.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like I've read at least one interview where he confirms this but maybe I dreamed that up

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

What's baffling is that Jennifer Walters as a more Banner-like angry Hulk was handled so much better in Tamaki's Hulk run.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not against monster She-Hulk, but Aaron didn't really do anything interesting with it. That tie-in issue for Empyre(?) he wrote was so condescending about it, too. I felt like Aaron was calling me an idiot for not liking his take on Jen while I was reading it. Tamaki's run on Hulk handled the idea of monster She-Hulk much better, I think.

e: me and Glitchwraith are kindred spirits. 🤝

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 18, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I have no opinion on she hulk, but if you need to write an issue about how cool your version is, you’ve failed

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I have no opinion on she hulk, but if you need to write an issue about how cool your version is, you’ve failed

Disagree, because this is what Kieron Gillen does with Mister Sinister and it works.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cloks posted:

Disagree, because this is what Kieron Gillen does with Mister Sinister and it works.

Yeah, but Gillen is objectively correct here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JordanKai posted:

I'm not against monster She-Hulk, but Aaron didn't really do anything interesting with it. That tie-in issue for Empyre(?) he wrote was so condescending about it, too. I felt like Aaron was calling me an idiot for not liking his take on Jen while I was reading it. Tamaki's run on Hulk handled the idea of monster She-Hulk much better, I think.

e: me and Glitchwraith are kindred spirits. 🤝

She was dead/a plant monster for most of Empyre wasn't she?

I do have vague memories of Deadpool asking Jen why she wasn't her old jokey self, and I think it was in War of the Realms, but I couldn't tell you which issue.

The Immortal She-Hulk one shot Ewing wrote on the heels of Empyre was pretty good though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

howe_sam posted:

She was dead/a plant monster for most of Empyre wasn't she?

I do have vague memories of Deadpool asking Jen why she wasn't her old jokey self, and I think it was in War of the Realms, but I couldn't tell you which issue.

The Immortal She-Hulk one shot Ewing wrote on the heels of Empyre was pretty good though.

It may have been a War of the Realms tie-in, hence the question mark. I can't keep these events straight. :sweatdrop:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Conan leaving Marvel again. No more Conan comics at Marvel but they will continue to be able to reprint collections. Conan in Savage Avengers is likely still going to be a thing for the time being. Just not solo books.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-conan-the-barbarian-rights-leaving-publisher/

Now I'm convinced something fucky is happening with the licensed comics part of Marvel. They got all these big licenses, and what the gently caress have they done with them?

Aliens: 1 mini and a one shot with no word of anything else.
Predator: One mini that has been pushed back multiple times and is supposedly coming out in August
Warhammer: 2 good minis that were well received but no word of a third
Ultraman: 2 of the worst loving minis I've ever read with an announcement of a third has yet to materialize
I don't know much about the Conan situation, but I know they had to relaunch the drat thing after six issues and now there's this news.

There's some behind the scenes poo poo going on. Maybe it's just that when Covid restricted production they decided the non-Marvel Marvel stuff could go on the backburner. I don't know, but clearly there's problems.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Aliens and Predator are both ongoing series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dragonshirt posted:

Aliens and Predator are both ongoing series.

Really? I didn't see any solicits for the second volume of Aliens

Either way, my point stands

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 18, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
No matter how hard some dude named Salvador Larroca insists, marvel doesn’t publish any Aliens books. If they did, I’d read them. Not sure why this Larroca guy keeps talking about them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also I'm pretty sure that Predator has been tied up with lawsuits that was just settled recently. That's not Marvel's fault.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the last issue of alien came out back in march, but it wasn't the end of the arc so maybe issue 11 is just delayed

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually really like the Thor/Hulk crossover right now, but lmao that Cates decided to reveal one of the secrets of his Hulk book in this book instead. Also I miss wise Odin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Now I'm convinced something fucky is happening with the licensed comics part of Marvel. They got all these big licenses, and what the gently caress have they done with them?

Aliens: 1 mini and a one shot with no word of anything else.
Predator: One mini that has been pushed back multiple times and is supposedly coming out in August
Warhammer: 2 good minis that were well received but no word of a third
Ultraman: 2 of the worst loving minis I've ever read with an announcement of a third has yet to materialize
I don't know much about the Conan situation, but I know they had to relaunch the drat thing after six issues and now there's this news.

There's some behind the scenes poo poo going on. Maybe it's just that when Covid restricted production they decided the non-Marvel Marvel stuff could go on the backburner. I don't know, but clearly there's problems.
Aliens, at least, is owned by Disney, so that barely counts as "licensing." I assume Predator is similar, but I might be wrong. Warhammer probably just didn't sell as well as GW and Marvel hoped, so maybe they're rejiggerings plans. The biggest Ultraman fan I know, Gripweed on the Something Is Aweful Forums, hated Ultraman but kept buying it for some reason, but it sold terribly, so no real surprised it's disappeared. Conan didn't get relaunched after six issues so I have no idea where that came from. "Conan the Barbarian" alone went 25 issues.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Gripweed didn't like Ultraman?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Aliens, at least, is owned by Disney, so that barely counts as "licensing." I assume Predator is similar, but I might be wrong. Warhammer probably just didn't sell as well as GW and Marvel hoped, so maybe they're rejiggerings plans. The biggest Ultraman fan I know, Gripweed on the Something Is Aweful Forums, hated Ultraman but kept buying it for some reason, but it sold terribly, so no real surprised it's disappeared. Conan didn't get relaunched after six issues so I have no idea where that came from. "Conan the Barbarian" alone went 25 issues.

I used the wrong word, not licensed so much as non-Marvel Marvel comics. And I know they relaunched Conan the Barbarian because there are two different trades called Conan the Barbarian #1 at the comic store. And they aren't reprints, they're both from the new post-reaquirement era

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cloks posted:

This is the first I'm hearing of it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

I used the wrong word, not licensed so much as non-Marvel Marvel comics. And I know they relaunched Conan the Barbarian because there are two different trades called Conan the Barbarian #1 at the comic store. And they aren't reprints, they're both from the new post-reaquirement era

Marvel labels books from the same run as "Volume 1" frequently.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There are two ongoing Conan comics Marvel launched in 2019 titled "Conan the Barbarian" and "Savage Sword of Conan" that launched around the same time, as well as three or four mini-series over the past three years. Savage Sword was 12 issues, while Barbarian was 25 issues and was worked on by two different creative teams but no relaunch with a number 1.

I imagine what Gripweed saw is apparently Conan the Barbarian: The Life and Death of Conan written by Jason Aaron and Conan the Barbarian by Jim Zub Volume 1: Into the Crucible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah.

Conan the Barbarian Vol. 1: The Life and Death of Conan Book One collects Conan the Barbarian #1-6
Vol. 2 Book 2 collects #7-12
Conan the Barbarian by Jim Zub Vol. 1: Into the Crucible collects Conan the Barbarian #13-18
Vol. 2: Land of the Lotus collects Conan the Barbarian #19-25

No relaunch, they just numbered the TPBs by each writer's run.

Savage Sword of Conan ran concurrently for 12 issues with 1-11 collected across two TPBs and #12 in Conan: Exodus and Other Tales.

King Conan is six issues and concludes in June.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah.

Conan the Barbarian Vol. 1: The Life and Death of Conan Book One collects Conan the Barbarian #1-6
Vol. 2 Book 2 collects #7-12
Conan the Barbarian by Jim Zub Vol. 1: Into the Crucible collects Conan the Barbarian #13-18
Vol. 2: Land of the Lotus collects Conan the Barbarian #19-25

No relaunch, they just numbered the TPBs by each writer's run.

That sucks so much.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Didn't Esad Ribic also have a single issue that went nowhere? Conan in Exile, or something?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gripweed posted:

That sucks so much.

it's very silly on a surface level but historically bookstores tend to stock more of the first volume and the most recent volume of a series of trades so sales wise you're better off with two volume ones than a volume three.

and maybe the Conan rights holders wanted some of that Shuma Gorath Lego set money and when Marvel told them that the giant one-eyed magic octopus fighting Dr Strange in a movie was actually a separate, legally distinct giant one-eyed magic octopus they balked at being treated like talent instead of business partners, who knows.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I don't know how anyone could be surprised Ultraman died on its arse. All these years and I've never known anyone who ever gave a single solitary poo poo about it till Gripweed's febrile postings, even among weeb friends.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hey now, there's also Burkion lmao.

Ultraman is cool in general, but a lot like superhero comics it seems at it's best to just follow along for the ride when it's entertaining and peace out when it's not and don't worry too much about long term continuity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Didn't Esad Ribic also have a single issue that went nowhere? Conan in Exile, or something?

Yeah, that's in the Conan: Exodus collection, which is that, Savage Sword of Conan #12, and Giant-Size Conan #1

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sentinel Red posted:

I don't know how anyone could be surprised Ultraman died on its arse. All these years and I've never known anyone who ever gave a single solitary poo poo about it till Gripweed's febrile postings, even among weeb friends.

Ultraman isn’t popular in America, but it’s still good. They’ve been making good Ultraman content for decades. There is a currently running Ultraman comic that isn’t bad. Ultraman was not the problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Really, which one's that? The manga based on Sevenger?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The linebarrel manga, I'm guessing?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Binary Badger posted:

Really, which one's that? The manga based on Sevenger?

I was talking about the Ultraman manga Ultraman, the manga called Ultraman. But yeah I’d forgotten about the Sevenger manga. That’s two good Ultraman comics! It’s a franchise that’s been proven to work in comic form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually read a little of Ultraman (the Marvel one, I mean). It wasn't mind blowing but I could see where people would like it*. I also see why it's failed to take off though, people are hesitant about trying new things and Ultraman, despite being big in Japan (pun not intended), has had nowhere near the exposure that a lot of other Japanese media has had over here over the years and well... at the end of the day, people are loath to try new things. Plus I've gathered from reading Gripweed's posting that it's not exactly faithful to the source material so it's not even gonna catch the hardcore Ultraman fans either. Ultraman just can't seem to grow here (pun very intended) and I don't know what the fix is.

*although tbh to me Ultraman was the worst part about Ultraman. I was way more invested in this super secret science team having to fight kaiju by themselves before Ultra showed up. Then again I guess that's a consequence of reading too many superhero comics. Giant guys should be exciting but after you read too many things with giant guys (or Giant-Men) it loses the wow factor. Like how, realistically, a man flying should be astounding, but when people look at Hawkman they're like "That's it? He can only fly? :geno:"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 20, 2022