Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Having been bitten by many a bullant I can confirm that they do indeed sting and not just bite. They're about bee sting levels of pain.

The worst part about them is that they're happy to climb things and have a terminal velocity way lower than would be fatal for them so you can have them drop on your head while sitting under a tree. It's very disrupting to lunch when a bullant lands on your head and decides that you shouldn't have gotten in the way of its fall so starts going to town on your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1525928629099712513?s=20&t=ouElTg1wiBrktwFgV7uhsg

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Paul Schafer is fricken old!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://i.imgur.com/UtYkukK.mp4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wonder if loving up during a competition can give you a burst of superhuman energy and skill, like a mother who needs to lift a car.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In this case it helps that she's clearly on completely different level than her opponents.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, for instance at 0:06 she's at ground level

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

boofhead posted:

The wikipedia article you linked says there were already suspicions before the race even started due to absurd betting patterns, and they got caught immediately after the race was finished?

Interesting to note is the involvement of the most famous horse/bookmaker family in Australia, the Waterhouses. Who are still, to this very day, complete and utter scum!

I heard the story from a podcast who probably embellished it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lane 5 stumbled hard, was dragging her knee over the other hurdles instead of lifting, and she looked tired/sloppy at the end -- she might have kept it had she not had that stumble.

Difference between the two was when they tripped. At the end, everyone has built their momentum; not so much just off the first hurdle.

No surprise the top finishers were taller too: the more mass above the hurdle, the less you have to pull up over it.

Ror posted:

I wonder if loving up during a competition can give you a burst of superhuman energy and skill, like a mother who needs to lift a car.

But yeah lane 4 was on some cheat modes with her form -- after recovery she just made every last step completely flawless. Her head barely moved. Her steps were in just the right position. Her conversation of momentum is stunning compared to the shuffling jumps of her competition.

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukcc8wCxJo

Kennel posted:

In this case it helps that she's clearly on completely different level than her opponents.

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, for instance at 0:06 she's at ground level

:discourse:

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 00:18 on May 17, 2022

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Having been bitten by many a bullant I can confirm that they do indeed sting and not just bite. They're about bee sting levels of pain.

The worst part about them is that they're happy to climb things and have a terminal velocity way lower than would be fatal for them so you can have them drop on your head while sitting under a tree. It's very disrupting to lunch when a bullant lands on your head and decides that you shouldn't have gotten in the way of its fall so starts going to town on your face.

“When Becoming a Man Means Sticking Your Hand Into a Glove of Ants”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brazilian-tribe-becoming-man-requires-sticking-your-hand-glove-full-angry-ants-180953156/

Lots of it is about getting the body used to the venom, which also works for bee stings and snake venom.

Otteration has a new favorite as of 04:02 on May 17, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Who can say?

Pandarick the Grafted.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've had a couple of bullet ant bites, all I could do was lie in bed with ice on the bite, anything else was too painful. My wife was most unsympathetic until one of them bit her and it made her cry.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So when someone is unsympathetic the solution is to get bullet ants to bite them. BRB getting some ants for the middle East.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By popular demand posted:

So when someone is unsympathetic the solution is to get bullet ants to bite them. BRB getting some ants for the middle East.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hopper ants are the ones I hate. They like to climb grass stalks and wait on top to leap onto your legs and sting the gently caress out of you.
They trigger beesting allergies too.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

By popular demand posted:

Couldn't hurt.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Beachcomber posted:

Who can say?

Why does the ant terror have a panda for an arm?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

2nd amendment rights

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Run, it's a Necromorph bear!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yaffle posted:

Couldn't hurt.

the hurting is the entire point!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Lone Badger posted:

Hopper ants are the ones I hate. They like to climb grass stalks and wait on top to leap onto your legs and sting the gently caress out of you.
They trigger beesting allergies too.

Why the gently caress would ants do this? They got nothing better to do than to LARP Attack on Titan to people?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's probably a lot of fun

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Squidster posted:

Run, it's a Necromorph bear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0bvyIEHcs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/LaocoonofTroy/status/1522682618764009473?s=20&t=JsocTAWZcT9KXkMcxPvG4g

(It's in Syracuse.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Panfilo posted:

Why the gently caress would ants do this? They got nothing better to do than to LARP Attack on Titan to people?

They jump on everything and eventually something allergic to bee stings comes along, collapses from anaphylaxis and dies, and they eat like kings.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Every art deco building now reminds me of that one (two ?) terrible Doctor Who episode about the pig people in New York in the '30s, and is therefore terrible. Sorry, architects.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Scaramouche posted:

They jump on everything and eventually something allergic to bee stings comes along, collapses from anaphylaxis and dies, and they eat like kings.

Sounds like some kind of twisted Gulliverian nightmare.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ror posted:

It absolutely can. It's really hard to describe but when I wrestled in high school there were a couple times where I got slammed pretty hard onto the mat(probably got a few concussions) and I had this weird moment of clarity and time kind of slowed down(once again probably the concussion) and saw the exact move I needed to do. Most of the time it was a reversal of some sort but I laser focused on the leg/arm/head I needed to grab or twist or whatever. It happened maybe five times I'm guessing, I told my coach about it after and he just says "yeah you got in the zone" .

Anecdotal but that's my experience with it.

Salemsabre
Nov 12, 2008

I had no idea the Mechanists have been going that long.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Field Mousepad posted:

time kind of slowed down(once again probably the concussion)

That's just an illusion in your memory. There's been a lot of studies that show our reflexes don't actually speed up and we don't process information any quicker. But it definitely feels like an action movie when you remember it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh I'm sure but that's how my brain remembered it and I have no other frame of reference haha

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
During muay thai and karate competitions, I've had moments when I've been absolutely knackered and 've gone "I can't possibly last much longer, so I'd better end this bout immediately," and my body stops trying to reserve anything for the long term and just spends every last bit of energy all at once. The result is a burst of speed and strength that defies the trend and can definitely feel superhuman at the time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lady Disdain posted:

During muay thai and karate competitions, I've had moments when I've been absolutely knackered and 've gone "I can't possibly last much longer, so I'd better end this bout immediately," and my body stops trying to reserve anything for the long term and just spends every last bit of energy all at once. The result is a burst of speed and strength that defies the trend and can definitely feel superhuman at the time.

I know how you feel. When I'm in taking a dump in a public toilet and someone knocks on the door because they need to go, I also experience a Limit Break and time slows down while I unleash a blast of pure ki from my beleaguered bowels. Clean and empty, I leave the stall so that the next fellow may experience his own moment of peace.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Screaming Idiot posted:

I know how you feel. When I'm in taking a dump in a public toilet and someone knocks on the door because they need to go, I also experience a Limit Break and time slows down while I unleash a blast of pure ki from my beleaguered bowels. Clean and empty, I leave the stall so that the next fellow may experience his own moment of peace.

Poetry

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Lady Disdain posted:

Yup that's it.

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's also it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/01/19/complimentary-poo poo

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

I know how you feel. When I'm in taking a dump in a public toilet and someone knocks on the door because they need to go, I also experience a Limit Break and time slows down while I unleash a blast of pure ki from my beleaguered bowels. Clean and empty, I leave the stall so that the next fellow may experience his own moment of pees (and shids).

FTFY

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

pages ago but holy poo poo thank you thread for teaching me to look at magic eye pictures. It was actually freaky how the illusion maintains even as you look around inside the “window”. marvellous

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/i/status/1531058342164156417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

That’s a young, stupid bear, but a healthy Moose will always win anyway. DNFW the moose.