Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Using corvettes to catch initial big hits and get torpedoes into close range is a really good idea. The new hyper relays also make replenishing lost corvettes much faster since you don't need to wait on them too long to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, what's a good balanced spread of ship types within a fleet?

My fleets usually are something like 1/5/10/20/30 but I never actually bothered to experiment with different compositions.

I run 1/2/4/8 ratios but I haven’t mathed it out - it’s just “everyone takes up the same space in the fleet” and “binary exponentials are soothing” and “adding titans means my fleets become different fast.”

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Whelp, looks like Space NATO and Space USSR is about to collide :v:

Ever since I wardecced my former Overlord for freedom(And maybe a followup war for a few systems and colonies) the galaxy have slowly polarized into two federations. My Hegemony consisting of a bunch of really not-nice empires and vassals, and their normal federation of most other Empires. My former overlord just got elected as Custodian despite me trying to hinder it through calling in old favors from friendlier times. My fleets are way stronger than anything they field, but theres alot of them and uuh my federation subjects are not the strongest.

Pretty sure what made the AI decide it's time to attack was that I finally remembered that someone released the Grey Tempest a hundred years back and sent three fleets to put them out of their misery lol.

edit: There's even a frozen conflict with the small reddish guys to the left of the galactic centre, keeping me from inviting them to the federation :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I run 1/2/4/8 ratios but I haven’t mathed it out - it’s just “everyone takes up the same space in the fleet” and “binary exponentials are soothing” and “adding titans means my fleets become different fast.”

18/10/9/X/Y is my preferred ratio, with X being "however many battleships still fit" and Y being "a titan".

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Yami Fenrir posted:

It gets better - if it happens to run into starbase range it slows down and changes direction

ah, so the devs really have been paying attention to The Expanse

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Destroyers are a liability so I never use them. When I get tired of using artillery battleship monoflerts, I usually use corvettes as a screen alongside missile cruisers and/or carrier battleships.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Destroyers are a liability so I never use them. When I get tired of using artillery battleship monoflerts, I usually use corvettes as a screen alongside missile cruisers and/or carrier battleships.

the only time i've had success with destroyers lasting longer than 2 minutes is if i have them as artillery cpu with an L slot in the front

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Using corvettes to catch initial big hits and get torpedoes into close range is a really good idea. The new hyper relays also make replenishing lost corvettes much faster since you don't need to wait on them too long to arrive.

I think tracking being broken is hurting torpedo corvettes a lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hobbesmaster posted:

I think tracking being broken is hurting torpedo corvettes a lot.

I hate that with every update there's always something like this in the meta. Since the game released there's always been little notes like this you have to be aware of when playing. "Tracking is broken in the current build so don't do X" "oh gosh don't build monuments, their unity buff is actually currently being applied as a penalty, hopefully it will get fixed" "Battleships got nerfed in the last patch, probably accidentally, they fly out of weapons range if given artillery AI"

There's just always something. Again and again I wish they'd stop tacking on half implemented half baked new features like espionage and detailed vassals while there's so many existing bugs and balance issues to fix. Espionage could have been cool and relevant and easy to deal with but they didn't manage it, at all. This new vassal system is a great step, but as implemented it feels half baked. But they never get fixed, the next DLC will focus on some other new paid feature and the old unfinished ones will rot.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
some of these things are just annoying as gently caress, my aforementioned asteroid issue has been around since september or something.

lmao i had no idea tracking was even broken, i did, however, notice that combat was taking *way* more time than usual. talking months to resolve a single small battle. what kind of poo poo did they break the gently caress out of

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I had a couple big mostly corvette battles in my game that took an insane amount of time. I thought something was broken, or both fleets were invulnerable. Nope, battle report just said 9% hit rate.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i never even look at those! that would explain why i had no idea what was going on, usually i just send my fleet into combat and go pay attention to something else since you can't do poo poo after the fight starts except retreat

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just run shittonnes of carriers with gigantic guns in non carrier slots.

Idk if it's a good idea but I figure the fighters screening so the carriers can get massive amounts of artillery fire off is smart.

Shadowlyger posted:

The biggest thing would be having any megastructure in your empire, which multiples the tech's weight by 20. Other than that...

Have a habitat

Have a neighbor with the tech

Have Technological Ascendancy

Build a 6th Citadel

It is loving dumb that Gateways don't count as megastructures.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

So wait, tracking isn't working at all? Even on small guns?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Natural 20 posted:

I just run shittonnes of carriers with gigantic guns in non carrier slots.

Idk if it's a good idea but I figure the fighters screening so the carriers can get massive amounts of artillery fire off is smart.

It is loving dumb that Gateways don't count as megastructures.
I've never noticed they don't. Do they not count against the emegastructure build limit? Because damnit that would have made my portal networks a lot quicker

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I've never noticed they don't. Do they not count against the emegastructure build limit? Because damnit that would have made my portal networks a lot quicker

they don't, no. habitats and gateways can be built freely.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jazerus posted:

they don't, no. habitats and gateways can be built freely.

i think they still block you from building an actual megastructure in the system while they're under construction, but as soon as the gateway base is complete you can do it again, unless they've finally fixed that bug. It's a very edge case anyway so should be pretty minimally impactful

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Sloober posted:

i think they still block you from building an actual megastructure in the system while they're under construction, but as soon as the gateway base is complete you can do it again, unless they've finally fixed that bug. It's a very edge case anyway so should be pretty minimally impactful

I've actually had the reverse happen in my game just now too - I was building a science nexus in my capital and it wouldn't let me put down a gateway site.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

I've actually had the reverse happen in my game just now too - I was building a science nexus in my capital and it wouldn't let me put down a gateway site.

yes, it has some weird interaction where it both is and is not a megastructure and it's never been fixed, either way it's a pretty edge case

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sloober posted:

yes, it has some weird interaction where it both is and is not a megastructure and it's never been fixed, either way it's a pretty edge case

I believe Elowiny fixed this in Gigastructures. On that note, from his last update:

quote:

• Gateways are now built in one go (no more construction site FINALLY)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jabarto posted:

There was some hilarity where an 8 ship transport fleet took almost a month to take out from my mid game 50 corvette fleet.

I've still been seeing that, "certain leviathans are regenerating mighty fast" bug. The Scavenger was showing little jumps in armor as I was shooting it.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Jabarto posted:

So that's why my fleets of laser corvettes were just demolishing everything my opponent had with an 80% hit rate and they only hit me back like 8% of the time. Only war I've been in thus far this update and couldn't figure out why these in theory very mediocre fleets were just dominating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Here’s the dev thread on known bugs: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/3-4-2-cepheus-known-issues.1525440/

quote:

[Fix in 3.4.3] [Confirmed] [Major] Tracking no longer counteracts evasion. [Report1] [Report2]

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer before trying the new patch.

Sloober posted:

some of these things are just annoying as gently caress, my aforementioned asteroid issue has been around since september or something.
I had a weird thing where if primitives were wiped out either by a speeding asteroid or bombardment the planet became inhabitable. Just turned into a destroyed, barren or toxic world.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never ever had those clusters of ruined worlds spawn in my borders before, always some AI gets to them. I sort of knew some little rat guys could live there but was sad to find them empty. Years later I get an event saying that we only just noticed the rat guys, and some civilizations spawned on the one of their systems I never ended up claiming. No further updates but I was excited to see what would happen. Years later I check and they're just... gone.

Is that working correctly? I thought they were supposed to actually become a civilization of some sort?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Are habitats busted for anyone else? I just built an asteroid hab, got the confirmation pop-up and now it's not there. It's not listed in possible colonization targets etc either in the menus.

I went back and loaded a game just before it was built and the same thing happened. Super frustrating.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Are habitats busted for anyone else? I just built an asteroid hab, got the confirmation pop-up and now it's not there. It's not listed in possible colonization targets etc either in the menus.

I went back and loaded a game just before it was built and the same thing happened. Super frustrating.
Did you watch it build?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've still been seeing that, "certain leviathans are regenerating mighty fast" bug. The Scavenger was showing little jumps in armor as I was shooting it.

I had a wraith pop up in the middle of my empire and it was doing that, but I thought it was intentional because the local star was the wrong type for killing it. Didn't stop the little 13k strength station I had there since early game from halfway soloing it before my fleet arrived though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are you playing modded? In vanilla, Habitats cannot go over asteroids so if you're running a mod its likely something to do with that.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you playing modded? In vanilla, Habitats cannot go over asteroids so if you're running a mod its likely something to do with that.

Ah ok - it's been a long time since I've played, so wasn't sure. I'm only using Guilli's mods, so potentially from there. I'll reload and try and build a different habitat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ah ok - it's been a long time since I've played, so wasn't sure. I'm only using Guilli's mods, so potentially from there. I'll reload and try and build a different habitat.
To add: Last I looked (a good six months ago I'd say) the only place you can build a habitat in vanilla is over a planet - no moons, no stars, no asteroids. Its possible it changed since I last published my mod that let you build habs over moons but I doubt it, but I wanted to mention it because I could be wrong.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

asteroids can only support habitats if you are running planetary diversity's planetary habitats or a similar "settle uninhabitable worlds" type mod

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I conflated Guilli's mods with planetary diversity in my head - must be from there then.

Last time I played properly was when tiles were still a thing, so had no idea whether these habitat types were vanilla or not.

I'll try and build a habitat over a planet and see if that helps, thanks guys.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Imperial Fief as bulwark rogue servitors is going great so far.

trade loyalty in return for alloys to boost my initial expansion and accelerate going bulwark so I can get the starbase technologies faster

renegotiate to tank my loyalty in return for things and get even more alloys and basically use my starbase constructions to loot my overlord,

Trade excess food to the other imperial underlings for their mineral wealth to build up my planets

They can't even expand because the other direction is the isolationist FE and I cut them off

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

GaylordButts posted:

So that's why my fleets of laser corvettes were just demolishing everything my opponent had with an 80% hit rate and they only hit me back like 8% of the time. Only war I've been in thus far this update and couldn't figure out why these in theory very mediocre fleets were just dominating.

Would also explain some of the difficulty I had in the last few games. I was relying on starbases and larger ships for defense so they were getting shredded by the corvettes that most of my enemies were using.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We should really be able to set vassal terms upon creation, it's weird to have to wait 10 entire years to make them into what you actually want them to be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You have to wait X years before you can change this variable is by far the worst aspect of Paradox games.

My favorite is that they've even started to put exceptions in for things like that to CK3, but you know, only if you're Norse :sweden:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dorkopotamis posted:

WELL WHAT IF THE SPECIES WAS AN AWFUL ZOMBIE!? WHAT THEN!?

Awful zombies are also valid.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rycalawre posted:

Oh my loving god I just discovered what the Edicts Fund actually does.

:allears:
yeah it'd be nice if Paradox had explained that better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

:allears:
yeah it'd be nice if Paradox had explained that better

It does if you hover over the Edict Fund, no?