Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Does anyone know how to get boktai for gba working through emulators? Is there some sort of trickery to fake the light sensor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
If you're in Retroarch, go to the controls menu and check Port 1 controls - there should be buttons to darken and brighten the solar sensor. On my RG552 it defaults to L3 and R3. If you're playing on a device with an ambient light sensor like a phone it looks like you can pass that through too so if you're on a phone you might want to turn that option off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There’s a romhack you can use as well that allows manual control of the sun level.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My 351 won't load my pokemon save file. I saved, exited the game, and put it to sleep. I loaded up the game but it's not loading the save. I checked the micro sd card, there's a srm file for it. I copied the save and tried loading it in retro arch but it didn't load there either.

Any suggestions?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

There’s a romhack you can use as well that allows manual control of the sun level.

This is what I use and it works flawlessly. Good stuff!

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

mariooncrack posted:

My 351 won't load my pokemon save file. I saved, exited the game, and put it to sleep. I loaded up the game but it's not loading the save. I checked the micro sd card, there's a srm file for it. I copied the save and tried loading it in retro arch but it didn't load there either.

Any suggestions?

Apparently sleep is borked on AmberELEC, on my 351mp I can't load anything off the 2nd sd card after waking from sleep. Have to shutdown/restart entirely for it to work properly. Haven't tried a different OS.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

My RG351V on AmberELEC works just fine sleeping, waking, loading poo poo off the 2nd card, etc. etc., opening and closing games. I wonder what the hell is going on with some of your folks' systems.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
One of the devs told me it was a hardware issue, it might be the SD card itself, who knows. I should try it with a different SD, this one is an older 128gb patriot I've had for years.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
SD cards are too cheap to not have a Samsung or whatever in everything. Wait for that crazy sale that happens once a year and buy 4 to keep in a drawer.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

My RG351V on AmberELEC works just fine sleeping, waking, loading poo poo off the 2nd card, etc. etc., opening and closing games. I wonder what the hell is going on with some of your folks' systems.

Yeah, up until this I haven't had any issues.

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

One of the devs told me it was a hardware issue, it might be the SD card itself, who knows. I should try it with a different SD, this one is an older 128gb patriot I've had for years.

I got this SD card from micro center when I bought the system in January.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

njsykora posted:

Good stuff. Will have a look for that. I found my old cartridge but the GBA screen is so much smaller than I remember and I want to play on my rp2+

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i've seen various comments that putting 351s into sleep during gameplay can cause problems, so i only use it in the main menu

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't say I've had any issue on my 351M regarding sleep or saves

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I guess sometimes I have to put my 351p back to sleep if the controls don't re-enable, but then it works after that. I've been using the latest amberelec (and 351elec before that). But it wouldnt really surprise me if these finicky usb controllers had some good variation between devices.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My RP2+ is arriving tomorrrow!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alucard posted:

Also my Odin Pro finally shipped!

:toot:

I can’t imagine how long it’s going to take for them to get those Odin lites out.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I honestly can’t believe it took me this long to discover these little wonder machines. So awesome. So fun!!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My Odin Pro also shipped out, so I’m gonna be watching RGC’s android starter guide basically every day until it gets here.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Alucard posted:

Enjoy. Once you get it all set up it's a great wee machine. Big step up from the pocket 2.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

MarcusSA posted:

Also my Odin Pro finally shipped!

:toot:

I can’t imagine how long it’s going to take for them to get those Odin lites out.

:sickos: so how long ago did you order it?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I ordered mine beginning of Feb when the reviews dropped and it shipped yesterday.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

ChiTownEddie posted:

I ordered mine beginning of Feb when the reviews dropped and it shipped yesterday.

That's not bad actually for this Hellworld we live in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah that’s about the same time I ordered mine.

It should be here next week.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s about the same time I ordered mine.

It should be here next week.

Did you get one of the transparent colors? I ordered the purple one around the 13th so hopefully it actually ships soon!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

infinite99 posted:

Did you get one of the transparent colors? I ordered the purple one around the 13th so hopefully it actually ships soon!

Yeah mine was transparent purple. I think my order just made the cut off for this week so hopefully yours should be next week.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

Just put in an order for an RP2+ - I'm a seasoned AliExpress user so I will now forget about it until it mysteriously shows up at my door in a few months.

Thanks for the recs, goons!

FYI for anyone considering a retroid pi 2+, door to door from order to in hands was around 45 days.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I got my Playdate. It is delightful. Teenage Engineering design cool poo poo.

As promised, I'll put together a thread over the weekend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RGC did a quick video on the transparent purple Odin pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bi3UQmODU

He said to expect a 4-6 month lead time on the Odin devices.

As a side note if anyone wants a never used RP2+ (well I opened the box) or a slightly used RG552 for decent prices let me know. I aint gonna use them that's for sure.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
WULFF DEN brings us a belated review of the RG552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfx6tgrkcI

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm in the market for a decent handheld, ideally one in a vertical form factor (but I'd do horizontal) without analog sticks - I'd like something I can stick in my pocket without sticks catching on anything, and I don't plan on playing anything where fine analog control is going to be useful. I've tried a Miyoo Mini but it's a little too small for my hands and, also, my eyes. It seems like everyone's either making super small units now, or is bolting two analog sticks on the thing. Do I have any decent options? Or am I just going to have to shove a Pi Zero into a Game Boy case? (I kinda wanna do that anyways tbh, there are some drat hot aftermarket shells.)

Alternatively, are there any good units with PSP-style sliders? That might be a good compromise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You might like the Powkiddy V90, the GBA SP form factor one. Then there's the Q90 which is the horizontal non-clamshell version of the same thing.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

MarcusSA posted:

RGC did a quick video on the transparent purple Odin pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bi3UQmODU

He said to expect a 4-6 month lead time on the Odin devices.

As a side note if anyone wants a never used RP2+ (well I opened the box) or a slightly used RG552 for decent prices let me know. I aint gonna use them that's for sure.

I’d be interested in the RP2+. Wanted to get one for my buddy for his birthday in June and have been holding out hope for the Amazon stock rumors, but this would be even better.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The transparent purple shell in the video looks a lot lighter than I expected. I kind of don’t like it as much? Kind of a moot point since I canceled my order. I still want an Odin at some point, just waiting for them to catch up on product I guess. I’m going to be moving several times and can’t really wait 4+ months for something to arrive.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Odin Lite emulation showcase is out and it's looking REALLY impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lJiOelHTY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Seeing that thing do Gamecube, Wii (even Mario Galaxy that the loving Steam Deck apparently has trouble with) and the hard PSP games without even breaking a sweat is properly impressive, even with the caveat that he's bypassed the CPU govener to make it run at max speed. The fan's still apparently in quiet mode and those games that did have slight dips you could probably just drop the resolution a bit and get rid of those.

Even a lot of PS2 stuff looked to be running really well, though that was a lot more hit and miss than the rest.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Seeing that thing do Gamecube, Wii (even Mario Galaxy that the loving Steam Deck apparently has trouble with) and the hard PSP games without even breaking a sweat is properly impressive, even with the caveat that he's bypassed the CPU govener to make it run at max speed. The fan's still apparently in quiet mode and those games that did have slight dips you could probably just drop the resolution a bit and get rid of those.

Even a lot of PS2 stuff looked to be running really well, though that was a lot more hit and miss than the rest.

yeah i'd say PS2 probably at 75% which is what the odin pro looked like it was at

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
do certain playstation games (n2o, einhander, other stuff) make anyone else's rg351whatever with 351elec rumble nonstop even after you quit the rom, to where the only way to make it stop is to power the thing off

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

whaley posted:

do certain playstation games (n2o, einhander, other stuff) make anyone else's rg351whatever with 351elec rumble nonstop even after you quit the rom, to where the only way to make it stop is to power the thing off

Name a game and I can test it later

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
definitely n2o a short bit after you start it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

whaley posted:

yes! i encountered the same issue. i tried a bunch of different poo poo and the only solution was to update to the newest firmware. info is scant but it seems to be caused by a bugged PSX core. also saw suggestions that it's related to the selected controller type. i encountered it with Bushdio Blade 1 and Einhander.