Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

man, that number is way too high to rattle off in a movie, imo

Also, 199999 an "interesting" number. The whole point of initially labeling the core Marvel universe initially as "616" was to make it reasonably high, but mundane number, as I understand it, to emphasize that there are a large number of other Earths, and the one you've been following isn't considered more special by the setting's numbering system's originators than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's dumb they used 616 instead of literally any other number because it means that whoever made the decision to put that in there means they know it's ~important~ and recognizable, but doesn't know why. Or doesn't care-- they just want people to nerd out because "I recognize a thing!" with no consideration to the meaning behind it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Alan Moore chose it because it’s the number of the beast. 666 being a mistranslation.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I always thought 616 was a NYC area code but it turns out that one is in Michigan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I always thought 616 was a NYC area code but it turns out that one is in Michigan.

212. Fun fact: when area codes were assigned, the most important places were assigned ones with the lowest number since they take the least amount of time to dial on a rotary phone.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I got back into comics in college I lived in Kalamazoo, which was in the 616 area code. I always thought that coincidence was cool.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I could swear I'd read somewhere that the 616 number was based on Fantastic Four #1 shipping in June of '61 and the universe designations afterwards were also based on the two digits of the year followed by the number of the month of the universe's first published appearance, but FF#1 actually shipped in August with a November cover date so that's not the case at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Into the Spider-Verse used 616 and 1610 too even though those have comic designations. It's not a big deal at all. The only people that will ever give a poo poo about it are the people that know the difference already and they won't be confused.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's not a big deal, it just dilutes something that was cool and unique by specifically not understanding or not caring why it was significant in the first place. It's about making it confusing for anyone. Like-- imagine they used a different number, whatever they chose, now instead that grows the IP (or lore, or whatever term you like the best) and can be something new to be called back on. With that there's something unique that everyone of all levels of knowledge can appreciate. Instead it's just "thing that exists."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seriously, didn’t Alan Moore come up with that designation for a Captain Britain story, and wasn’t it chosen as a dig at Marvel, 616 being one alternative translation of 666 in Revelation?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah, it's originally from Captain Britain. per wikipedia, Moore says a previous Captain Britain writer came up with it and Moore's son in law is the one who says it's the number of the beast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought the point of the 616 designation was mostly just mocking DC for making the universe most of their books take place in "Earth-1"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember hearing somewhere that the higher the number the more crazy poo poo happens on that world/more unstable that world is. I don't know if that is cannon or not though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that the higher the number the more crazy poo poo happens on that world/more unstable that world is. I don't know if that is cannon or not though.

That's dumb whether you're talking about Marvel or DC

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Also I'm not sure Alan Moore giving the Marvel universe the number of the Beast is necessarily a negative, at least as intended

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

That was a plot in X-Man. The higher up the spiral the more "evolved" the reality was. Lower in the spiral were considered barbaric realities.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Alan Moore's son in law on "616"

quote:

616 is a number of no significance what so ever. Sorry.

Alan Davis on 616:

quote:

616 is an alternate, and some say older, 'sign of the beast', 666. It has some basis in Greek numerology (ZAZ?) but I don't recall the details. Although credited to Alan Moore, like much of the other Captain Britain folklore it was in place before he joined the book. (In actual fact the only significant addition Alan and I co-created was the Fury.) Jim Jaspers, the Crazy Gang, Saturnyne, the Omniversal organisation (Avante Guarde) Captain UK, etc were all conceived by Paul Neary or Dave Thorpe. [...] Dave Thorpe, who wasn't a fan of the modern superhero genre, was responsible for most of the more madcap or satirical elements--such as recording his opinion of the Marvel Universe with the designation 616.

David Thorpe on 616:

quote:

Well, for years, I'd [gotten] emails from fans who say, "Why did you come up with 616?" And to be honest, I gave them each a different story. But, obviously, it's got something to do with 666, the number of the beast: 666 minus 50.

Also for what it's worth Fantastic Four #1 has a cover date of November 1961, and Marvel itself claims it hit the stands on August 8 1961. Though given the interview linked above it's entirely possible Thorpe claimed that for funsies at some point.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Madkal posted:

From a purely practical standpoint it makes some sense; If you are writing an alternate world you might want to revisit/become important you're gonna want to give it a short snappy number, whereas if its just goofy poo poo for a one off joke you'll call it earth-9876932B because thats unlikely to have been used.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
In Spider-Verse #1 (2019) we just named each new universe after the person who drew it (Earth-10113519 was Earth- J A M E S for James Harren, etc).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

In Spider-Verse #1 (2019) we just named each new universe after the person who drew it (Earth-10113519 was Earth- J A M E S for James Harren, etc).

Wow, that lack of creativity and they keep you on? Imagine not giving every universe number and extremely deep and important meaning that has readers searching through religious texts to find the meaning of!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why just numbers? Why not letters? I'd be totally cool with an Earth-JAMES.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That's actually awesome and I wonder how many previously made up numbers have similar origins

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A note on cover dates for magazines that I think probably applies to older comics. The cover date isn't when something comes out, it's when retailers can take them off the shelves and apply for a refund.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

A note on cover dates for magazines that I think probably applies to older comics. The cover date isn't when something comes out, it's when retailers can take them off the shelves and apply for a refund.
That was true pretty much as long as comics had cover dates, which I hadn't even noticed both Marvel and DC have taken off of the "cover" several years ago. It's still in the indicia for DC books at least (and maybe physical Marvel comics, I don't have any single issues lying around to check) but the "cover date" being multiple months ahead still applies: the third issue of World's Finest by Waid/Mora came out yesterday (May 18, 2022) and is listed as being from July 2022 in the indicia.

But again, neither the cover date nor the consensus release date for Fantastic Four #1 are in June.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for a comic that my grandparents got me in the late 90s. All I can remember is that it took place in space, and the main character (maybe the only character?) was slowly being consumed and covered by these purple warts/scales that were definitely some kind of disease/virus. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the last panel was either him being entirely covered and dying, or maybe his hand breaking out of the mass of purple warts he had become

Just wanted to check in on this, does anyone have any ideas?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

I thought the point of the 616 designation was mostly just mocking DC for making the universe most of their books take place in "Earth-1"

That's exactly it. It's an arbitrary number because the numbers aren't important to the story. That's the joke.

This being comics, pretty much nobody got it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Karma Tornado posted:

I could swear I'd read somewhere that the 616 number was based on Fantastic Four #1 shipping in June of '61 and the universe designations afterwards were also based on the two digits of the year followed by the number of the month of the universe's first published appearance, but FF#1 actually shipped in August with a November cover date so that's not the case at all.

For a while I thought that was the reason as well. Bit gutted when I found out FF#1 was released in August because it seemed to fit.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

it feels like a Tom Brevoort on Tumblr kinda answer, or like something from the introduction to a volume of Exiles.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Coming of the Buff She-Hulk argument in the TV thread is there a comic series where the protagonist is basically Superman but with a dad bod?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

bessantj posted:

Coming of the Buff She-Hulk argument in the TV thread is there a comic series where the protagonist is basically Superman but with a dad bod?

Dunno about comics but Hancock was pretty hosed up

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Nope, as is often the case, I was wrong.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Dunno about comics but Hancock was pretty hosed up

Hancock was alright, I wonder if they did a comic series to tie in with the film.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

bessantj posted:

Maybe not quite dad bod, but the Captain from Nextwave isn't buff and has the base set of Superman's powers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

Wayne Boring and Curt Swan used to draw Superman as pretty thicc back in the Silver Age, but he still had visible muscles, which probably disqualifies him from consideration.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The guy who plays Superman in the CW Superman and Lois doesn’t have a dad bod per se but he’s extremely dad

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alex Ross Superman probably counts

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Michael Moran would probably qualify.

Planet X Wolverine.

Last Ride Spidey (what was the one with the cool jacket?)

Spiderverse Peter B. Parker

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 21, 2022

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When did Marvel start referring to their fan base as Marvel Zombies?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey folks, I have a Thunderbolts question.

Thanks to Hoopla, I've finally read the original Thunderbolts #1-50, written by Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza. It had moments of being kind of generic and even corny, but I liked all the interweaving plots and loved the core characters' overall redemption arc, culminating in team leader Hawkeye going to prison in exchange for the remaining Thunderbolts earning presidential pardons at last.

A long time ago, I read Nicieza's New Thunderbolts run, and I even owned the three TPBs for a while. I don't remember that era being anything special. Then I recently read the Civil War material where Songbird was hooking up with Zemo for some reason, I already owned Warren Ellis' two darkly comic and brutally violent Thunderbolts TPBs that bridged Civil War and Secret Invasion, and I also read all the Dark Reign/Siege/Heroic Age a long time ago (written by Christos Gage, Andy Diggle, and Jeff Parker), up to the point where it was retitled Dark Avengers.

I didn't care for the Thunderbolts lineup with Punisher, Elektra, Deadpool, and Red Hulk, and I don't think I ever finished that. It didn't have anything to do with anything that came before, and seemed like too much of a team of edgelord antiheroes. And then I read the short Jim Zub run with pretty bad art from Comicsgate-supporting artist Jon Malin and the recent King in Black: Thunderbolts miniseries that was more like DC's Suicide Squad than any other 'Bolts material ever, complete with shock value jobber deaths.

So what I think I'm missing is the chunk between #50 of the original series and the New Thunderbolts rebranding. It looks like that has never been collected, and I know there is an infamous run in there that jettisoned all the ongoing characters and story arcs, about an underground supervillain fight club. Is that as bad as I've heard? Is anything worthwhile in between there?

Any other Thunderbolts fans? I keep hoping they make their way to the MCU, especially since there are so many characters that would fit into the team aesthetic of villains seeking redemption: Zemo, Abomination, Vulture, Ghost, and who knows who will show up in She-Hulk. It would be neat to see Clint, Yelena, and Luke Cage show up too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Thunderbolt era one gets really good when Soule takes over, you should just skip ahead to that, it's definitely worth reading