Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Yea I might have a weird palette for Calvados. In DC where I live the decent Laird's (not the blended jack) starts at $30-$35 and the various Calvados start at $30-$35. Always an easy call for me. The VA ABC sucks for Calvados though. At one point I had both on hand. I felt Laird's gave me more of a whiskey-like finish, the dos more unique apple flavor.

I made my wife do Distillerie Boulard in 2016 when we went to Normandy. Only had time for one visit. They were really trumpeting their long aging stuff but the young VS to me is already so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah people don't respect that bourbon enough.

Calvados isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like it you like it. I like all the funky and weird tastes that come from it, but I also like all those weird scrumpy ciders.

The funky / weird calvados' is the minority in style though. The vast majority of it is elegant, well produced brandy that's much more akin to well made Cognac or Armagnac.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AlexDeGruven posted:

A lot of it depends on what you like, too. If you like the base flavor/prime characteristic of something, I think you'll be more open to the different ranges.

At the moment, I'm sipping on an Evan Williams Bottled in Bond ($18 bottle) and thoroughly enjoying it. But some people might not dig it because it's "just a basic bourbon".

My favorite cocktail bar before COVID closed it used that as their well bourbon. Evan Williams is a very good bourbon that just doesn't spend as much on marketing because it's one of many brands Heaven Hill makes, so even their basic 86 proof is better than Jack Daniels but significantly cheaper while being dismissed as a "copy" because they use a similar label.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Have any of you guys made 'super juice'? I'm tired of buying lemons and poo poo and would love to have something shelf stable.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah we’ve talked about it in this thread a few times. It’s all I use at my bar. Try it, it’s good.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Someone gifted me a bottle of Limoncello and I can't figure out what to do with it. Any suggestions? I looked up some recipes online and frankly all of them wind up feeling like "just throw some of this stuff in another drink." So far I've tried a Lemon Drop and a Sour and both were pretty underwhelming. Should I just make a spritz and call it a day?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TBH I've mainly just had it as a cordial/liqueur chilled straight from the freezer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah as much as I love being all creative 'n junk, some liqueurs really are just best enjoyed as-is. No need to reinvent the wheel.

ALTHOUGH I'm now wondering what it would taste like with some absinthe. drat you.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Carillon posted:

TBH I've mainly just had it as a cordial/liqueur chilled straight from the freezer.
Hmmm maybe I can just mix it with gin and make like an italian gimlet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's my go-to for limoncello, yeah. I also make orangecello and sub it for Cointreau.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also, soak some berries in lemoncello and top with whipped cream. Bonus if you have a crumbly cookie or shortcake. Extra bonus if you crumble a handful of nilla wafers and toast them in brown butter!

E: you can do yogurt instead of whipped cream too depending on your yogurt prefs

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

BrianBoitano posted:

Also, soak some berries in lemoncello and top with whipped cream. Bonus if you have a crumbly cookie or shortcake. Extra bonus if you crumble a handful of nilla wafers and toast them in brown butter!

E: you can do yogurt instead of whipped cream too depending on your yogurt prefs

Hell yeah. My girlfriend’s grandma made this for us when we came to visit and it is heavenly.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

BrianBoitano posted:

That sounds tight, Imma tell Mrs. Strange Matter about this too.

EDIT: Reading back on prior pages, I'm a bit worried about my ginger syrup. I use a 2:1 for the liquid, but then I went and processed a bunch of the candied ginger and strained out more ginger juice because I want the stuff to burn. I made a batch about three months ago that worked like gangbusters; it was so thick that I'd need to break it up with the back of a barspoon then shake it up before I could pour, but it was fire, and it was rich enough that it stayed stable for the whole time I used it.

I ran out like three weeks ago and cooked up a new batch. I wound up losing a bunch of my strained ginger juice due to being clumsy so it ended up with half the strained juice as my last batch. On the bright side it's nice and hot while still being totally pourable, but I noticed that the bottle I put it in was ejecting its silicon stopper like a cannonball until I corked it with a heavier one. My previous G.S. was in a screwtop bottle so I didn't notice any pressure buildup. Is that normal for ginger syrup, or is that batch going to go bad on me?

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 17, 2022

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's fermenting for sure. I'd try adding a bit of vodka to the syrup to stabilize it, that should kill the fermentation and preserve it for longer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't offer any useful advice on the syrup, but I will say that it's very easy to infuse vodka with candied ginger. And when you're done, you have the only good excuse to make fruitcake.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

prayer group posted:

That's fermenting for sure. I'd try adding a bit of vodka to the syrup to stabilize it, that should kill the fermentation and preserve it for longer.
Good suggestion, thanks.

Trip report on Limoncello + Gin: it's okay, but it's got none of the zip of a normal gimlet, so its kind of a let-down. Though I may have spoiled myself with a Earl Grey MarTEAni which is like an out of body gin experience.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Strange Matter posted:

Though I may have spoiled myself with a Earl Grey MarTEAni which is like an out of body gin experience.

Lovely drink, for sure. Perfect for Mother’s day.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I upgraded from a mason jar as my mixing glass, to a larger Madafo 24oz mixing glass . I really like the weight and heftiness of it seems like a quality product.

I think I'm going to upgrade into a Boston shakers next. Is there a reason why some are weighted vs non-weighted? I'm assuming it's only for the shaker being more sturdy on the table?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

obi_ant posted:

I upgraded from a mason jar as my mixing glass, to a larger Madafo 24oz mixing glass . I really like the weight and heftiness of it seems like a quality product.

I think I'm going to upgrade into a Boston shakers next. Is there a reason why some are weighted vs non-weighted? I'm assuming it's only for the shaker being more sturdy on the table?

By weighted, do you mean some part of it is weighted, or the whole thing is made of a denser/thicker material? I'd not heard of the former, but sounds like something dumb someone invented for no good reason. For the latter, I'd argue thicker/denser is better than thinner, even if it takes more energy to shake.

Thicker metal typically* means less heat exchanging to outside, which means it reduces how loving cold your hands get shaking if you want something as cold as it gets. It also reduces the condensation on the exterior of the shaker (which adds some heat to the contents of your shaker), but that's a relatively minor effect. Also makes the shaker more stable, easier to keep together when dry shaking egg whites.

Plus it just feels good to have a heavier shaker.

Getting a better shaker is high on my list, I've got Renaud's so I have to use a towel to shake or the cold is brutally painful cause my shaker is razor thin.

(*Assuming we're talking roughly similar stainless steel, different alloys/metals can have different conduction properties that make this all wrong, but typically thicker material means better insulation)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Limoncello Saga Part III:

Found a recipe for a Limoncello Smash that was actually really good:

1.5oz gin
1oz limoncello
5 muddled blackberries
Soda Water

The recipe called for tonic water actually but I found that the tonic didn't play nice with the limoncello, so I think soda is probably the way to go. This was actually a really nice mix since the lemon and blackberry are one of my go-to dessert flavors. Really refreshing, nicely balanced, not super sweet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pander posted:

By weighted, do you mean some part of it is weighted, or the whole thing is made of a denser/thicker material? I'd not heard of the former, but sounds like something dumb someone invented for no good reason. For the latter, I'd argue thicker/denser is better than thinner, even if it takes more energy to shake.

Thicker metal typically* means less heat exchanging to outside, which means it reduces how loving cold your hands get shaking if you want something as cold as it gets. It also reduces the condensation on the exterior of the shaker (which adds some heat to the contents of your shaker), but that's a relatively minor effect. Also makes the shaker more stable, easier to keep together when dry shaking egg whites.

Plus it just feels good to have a heavier shaker.

Getting a better shaker is high on my list, I've got Renaud's so I have to use a towel to shake or the cold is brutally painful cause my shaker is razor thin.

(*Assuming we're talking roughly similar stainless steel, different alloys/metals can have different conduction properties that make this all wrong, but typically thicker material means better insulation)

Weighted shakers have an extra cap on the bottom to add weight

Somewhat related, Koriko has dropped the overall weight of their shakers twice in the last few years and it loving sucks. The latest run sounds like poo poo now, too, to boot. They've gone from the gold standard to kinda crappy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Seems dumb. Wouldn't that add momentum that'd make it more likely for the shaker to decouple mid-shake?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pander posted:

Seems dumb. Wouldn't that add momentum that'd make it more likely for the shaker to decouple mid-shake?

It's not a lot of weight, it's just enough to make them more stable when standing and, more importantly, a lot easier to do palm spins with

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Pander posted:

They have a nice balance. And the chilling creates a vacuum anyways. The only time I’ve had tins decouple was when I didn’t seal them properly.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Somewhat related, Koriko has dropped the overall weight of their shakers twice in the last few years and it loving sucks. The latest run sounds like poo poo now, too, to boot. They've gone from the gold standard to kinda crappy.

That’s a shame, I had been thinking about upgrading from my generic Boston/pint glass shaker to Korikos. Any other brands I should look into instead?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toebone posted:

That’s a shame, I had been thinking about upgrading from my generic Boston/pint glass shaker to Korikos. Any other brands I should look into instead?

I've been generally happy with BarFly's shakers

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
One of the other advantages of a Boston shaker is that it minimizes splashes when mixing ice into your drink. Since it's two vessels you can fill one with booze and the other ice, then pour the booze over the ice and close the shaker. With a Cobbler you usually pour in the booze first and them add ice, and if you're using big fat ice cubes like Morganthaler suggests for maximum aeration you're going to get liquor splashing up and out of your container. I haven't upgraded to a Boston yet and I need to sort of gently land my big cube inside the Cobbler to avoid making a huge mess and losing volume.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've been generally happy with BarFly's shakers

Same, I have the brushed copper and love them.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

One of the other advantages of a Boston shaker is that it minimizes splashes when mixing ice into your drink. Since it's two vessels you can fill one with booze and the other ice, then pour the booze over the ice and close the shaker. With a Cobbler you usually pour in the booze first and them add ice, and if you're using big fat ice cubes like Morganthaler suggests for maximum aeration you're going to get liquor splashing up and out of your container. I haven't upgraded to a Boston yet and I need to sort of gently land my big cube inside the Cobbler to avoid making a huge mess and losing volume.

Getting some ice-specific tools can help here too. Tongs are good obviously, but a couple years ago I started leaving an ice scoop in the freezer and it’s been great.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Use your mixing spoon to lower the ice into the shaker instead of dropping it in

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Fart Car '97 posted:

Use your mixing spoon to lower the ice into the shaker instead of dropping it in
I usually just angle my cobbler a bit and slide it down, no mess, but a Boston eliminates this entirely. No shenanigans needed. It's also more theatrical since you can get a nice tall pour when you add the liquor to the ice.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Scythe posted:

Getting some ice-specific tools can help here too. Tongs are good obviously, but a couple years ago I started leaving an ice scoop in the freezer and it’s been great.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ah, the difference between professional and amateur approaches. I even do the barspoon thing for my service ice and still forget about it for the ugly ice I use for mixing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Strange Matter posted:

I need to sort of gently land my big cube inside the Cobbler

Call me

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

I usually just angle my cobbler a bit and slide it down, no mess, but a Boston eliminates this entirely. No shenanigans needed. It's also more theatrical since you can get a nice tall pour when you add the liquor to the ice.

But if you poured tall wouldn’t the liquid hit the ice and splash out?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The Maestro posted:

But if you poured tall wouldn’t the liquid hit the ice and splash out?
Maybe? All I know is that if I drop a big fat cube into 4-6oz of liquid, depending on how much I'm making, I'll have a huge mess on my hand. I think fluid dynamics would favor pouring vs dropping.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The splash is real! I use a cobbler and I just gingerly release it with my fingers into there. Sometimes a little splash. Thread given me some good ideas.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Make the drink in one side of the Boston shaker, put the ice in the other side, pour liquid to ice, seal, shake. I'm not sure I've ever spelled that out even it's so intuitive.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I use the small tin as an ice scoop and then dump and seal in one motion. If it’s a large recipe or a double then you have to be more careful, but it works fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the McDLT Shaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Make the drink in one side of the Boston shaker, put the ice in the other side, pour liquid to ice, seal, shake. I'm not sure I've ever spelled that out even it's so intuitive.
Hence the superiority of the Boston shaker. I have a Cobbler and I've already taken to throwing a Hawthorne on it vs using the built in strainer. You wouldn't think it makes a difference but even that does. So I'm halfway there, I'm just waiting until I get truly fed-up with the Cobbler.

EDIT: Before I actually decided to learn what I was doing with drinks I deliberately went out of my way *not* to buy a Boston Shaker, lol

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 19, 2022