Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

What's the point of citizencon if they aren't even going to show off the game?

It's an opportunity for a big ship sale, of course!

Y'see, having a developer or even Chris Roberts take an hour off to, I don't know, just log into Star Citizen and play it for a bit is totally unreasonable, because it would take away valuable time that they need for developing the game. That they're already taking time off from developing so that they can give an hour-long presentation at CitizenCon about dreams.txt, or why this boring hallway is gray-blue while that boring hallway is more of a blue-gray, or what the different kimono styles the currently-nonexistent bird aliens will eventually wear might indicate.

But you'd better believe they've got all the time in the world to slap together some commercials for new ships. New money gets 25 bucks off! Guaranteed to punch above its weight! Limited time only! Don't miss out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

just think for minute, how much money are they putting into REAL ESTATE this year, building/buying/leasing/renting new office space

it's in the 10's of millions , ... plus outfitting all that space with desks and brand new PC's, and fancy seating, pool tables.

a few floors in a brand new state of the art high rise office tower in frankfurt? that'll be 10 mil easy - plus plus plus

and the part Chris slipped in about Studio 6 being rented out for their exclusive use for.... the foreseeable future. Any idea how much a 5,000sqft TV stage goes for these days? by the day, week, month?

I wonder if there are some kind of kickbacks buried in there, or money getting skimmed off the top (CIG shell company rents the space, CIG pays the shell company the rent plus "management fees")? Because jesus loving christ, what kind of company that depends on handouts would, ten years into a deathmarch with very little to show for it, decide to go all Ion Storm Dallas and splurge on fancy offices? Someone in the C-suite is getting a little extra in their pocket out of this deal, right?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I only looked at pictures

:lol:

they release more pictures of their new offices than of SQ42 or of anything new in SC, just some old locations and more concept art

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Follow the yellow brick road…

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

I am the Star Hash Bind Culling

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Finally, a multiplayer game I can escape to! Never done before!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Trilobite posted:

Y'see, having a developer or even Chris Roberts take an hour off to, I don't know, just log into Star Citizen and play it for a bit is totally unreasonable, because it would take away valuable time that they need for developing the game. That they're already taking time off from developing so that they can give an hour-long presentation at CitizenCon about dreams.txt, or why this boring hallway is gray-blue while that boring hallway is more of a blue-gray, or what the different kimono styles the currently-nonexistent bird aliens will eventually wear might indicate.

But you'd better believe they've got all the time in the world to slap together some commercials for new ships. New money gets 25 bucks off! Guaranteed to punch above its weight! Limited time only! Don't miss out!

There is time for you if you are at a bar somewhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And again, the scale thing. Even if they had a chance of pulling this off...

Like, however many people are on a server, it'll be a huge clump of them in the hub areas doing emotes and yelling about nonsense and other not-quite-immersive things. Go outside the hubs and you'll see a few occasionally, maybe even a group, and that's neat. But like, you don't need millions per server for that effect. I play FFXIV, that's pretty popular, I don't know what the max load on a server is but I know that once you get like 30 people in an Aetheryte Plaza you start to lose track. That's emergent behavior, people will clump in the areas where it's most convenient. (And remember MMOs are still basically MUDs.)

And game design is already running into this problem where we can design super huge environments but actually *creating enough content to make them worthwhile* is the big issue. A town in an MMO or open world game will be a few buildings that are useful to the player, a bunch more you can't enter, maybe a few you can that don't have anything just for flavor, etc. Nobody really cared when the standard RPG town was 5 buildings marked "INN", "WEAPONS SHOP", "GUILD", etc., but now that we can make a bunch of full 3D buildings that looks just like a movie set, it stands out a bit more when you try to go behind the fronts and see there's nothing there.

There is a reason that games abstract things beyond just the basic demands of programming/hardware/etc. There's only so much a player will take in and we will fill in the gaps. Just point our eyes in the right direction, with gameplay loops, story, etc.

Obviously it's moot because they've still yet to make progress on why things keep falling through the floor, but like their biggest and most integral goal won't even do much.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Maxwell Lord posted:

And again, the scale thing. Even if they had a chance of pulling this off...

Like, however many people are on a server, it'll be a huge clump of them in the hub areas doing emotes and yelling about nonsense and other not-quite-immersive things. Go outside the hubs and you'll see a few occasionally, maybe even a group, and that's neat. But like, you don't need millions per server for that effect. I play FFXIV, that's pretty popular, I don't know what the max load on a server is but I know that once you get like 30 people in an Aetheryte Plaza you start to lose track. That's emergent behavior, people will clump in the areas where it's most convenient. (And remember MMOs are still basically MUDs.)

And game design is already running into this problem where we can design super huge environments but actually *creating enough content to make them worthwhile* is the big issue. A town in an MMO or open world game will be a few buildings that are useful to the player, a bunch more you can't enter, maybe a few you can that don't have anything just for flavor, etc. Nobody really cared when the standard RPG town was 5 buildings marked "INN", "WEAPONS SHOP", "GUILD", etc., but now that we can make a bunch of full 3D buildings that looks just like a movie set, it stands out a bit more when you try to go behind the fronts and see there's nothing there.

There is a reason that games abstract things beyond just the basic demands of programming/hardware/etc. There's only so much a player will take in and we will fill in the gaps. Just point our eyes in the right direction, with gameplay loops, story, etc.

Obviously it's moot because they've still yet to make progress on why things keep falling through the floor, but like their biggest and most integral goal won't even do much.

Chris Roberts is never going to solve these problems of course because :gary: :yarg:, but has anyone played No Man's Sky recently? I've not played it in ages but how far have Sean and his plucky lads got in moving the genre along?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
From where I stand, the magic of scale is when the unlikely does happen and you actually meet a random player in a random place.

I have a lot of issues with ED, but encountering a random player in a random surface installation on Generic Planet 74732931 is stupidly mind-blowing considering how unlikely it is.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Its going to be 10 years since the announcement, I still have that golden ticket email somewhere.

Also, I still can't believe Chris believes that CIG has been competent in delivering an actual product. Am I delusional? Maybe I need another Idris.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

no_recall posted:

Its going to be 10 years since the announcement, I still have that golden ticket email somewhere.

Also, I still can't believe Chris believes that CIG has been competent in delivering an actual product. Am I delusional? Maybe I need another Idris.

I've still got the physical Star Citizen ID card thing on my desk, the only physical goods that the kickstarter will ever deliver.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Also, since you guys are posing as people in the know and spreading FUD I'll collate a few genuine backer reactions to the tech jargon about server meshing.

This one, in case you tried to forget:

Massive respect :airquote:, they did what other companies were able to do for decades, woohoo.

I like that he only writes about this massive achievement and once more, nothing was shown.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Never done before in a MMO!
Not kidding, I quote from the main sub:

[i]"Most MMOs give you well defined "places" to put your stuff and have a max server pop count. (Think bases, houses, etc.)

Many single player games do this already, but that'a because there's only one person.

The thing that really gets me is so many of these god drat fool will shout from the rooftops about how they're veteran software developers or whatever made up merits they're claiming this week, and then not have even a basic grasp of how poo poo works.

To them the ability to have multiple players store their poo poo in a game is somehow magic and requires multiple years of NASA level research to figure out, instead of a loving SQL database and running a "SELECT * FROM stored_items WHERE owner_id == this.player_id AND storage_location == interactable.storage_location_id" with a couple of extra steps when a player interacts with a storage thing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Imagine for a second if you will

A company that realizes the work from home or hybrid model is the future

This isn’t 1992 where everyone needs an office space , especially the already over paid execs whom are only there a 1/4 of the time as it is , the real workers are the ones that deserve the corner office

But I digress

Imagine , instead of buying and building and outfitting 50 million worth of office space that will be obsolete in 5 years , if they invested that money into their employees they claim to care so much about

Increase their salaries across the board , offer a work from home stipend. Pay for all brand new hike office setups for the entire development staff.

Hell you may need a small space still for critics infrastructure workers like the network folks , or people that have to be in the office like their endless mocap team

But CiG could be at the fore front of the new software dev revolution , no more big fancy lavish office spaces , but paying their employees a better than average wage

Instead we get pictures of new office space with a lounge to rival billion dollar companies , who make a profit every year from selling an actual product

I’m sure the executive spaces will be simply mind blowing at the excess.

How about a Private chef on staff anytime Chris wants an omelette shaped like a giant dollar sign

Posted from the other thread because gently caress Chris roberts I hope he ends up on the run like a Russian oligarch

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Work from home at CIG? But then :crobear: wont' be able to stop at employees' desks and randomly tell them to change color of some pixel or to redo everything from the scratch, or in his own words:

:crobear: posted:

it became clear that we were missing the benefits of spontaneous collaboration and team building that come from working in person, near each other. The time I have spent with the Squadron team in the UK has only reinforced this, as the ability to walk over to someone’s desk and see the issue or having a conversation in passing about a problem or a creative thought, makes an enormous difference to progress.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pixelate posted:

Persistent streaming sounds like a contradiction in terms and also incredibly wasteful.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

Persistent streaming sounds like a contradiction in terms and also incredibly wasteful.

That’s just the name they came up with for the brain disorder Chris has

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tippis posted:

Please do not pee on the Road to PES

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Chris Roberts is never going to solve these problems of course because :gary: :yarg:, but has anyone played No Man's Sky recently? I've not played it in ages but how far have Sean and his plucky lads got in moving the genre along?

I have, and while vastly improved, the game is still much of the same from the start. At least now there are things to do.
I do think that they have pushed too little on all the Expeditions, those are very fun - basically you get a pre-determined world and a set of milestones to fulfil - fill in one tier, move to the next. Each tier does allow you to later visit a trader in the "Main" game's hub and claim a unique reward for your main save. However, there is one expedition active at a time (they have a IRL duration of a few weeks) and once you're done there's no reason to go again. They try to throw in some curveballs - maybe onw whole milestone is just "get your ship" which is on the other side of the planet so you have to drive there instead of flying. Maybe this universe has very little populated stations so trading is hard, stuff like that.

Other than that there are a few questlines and just being a tourist. But now you can grow organic ships, build bases, underwater bases, drive vehicles, drive your very own mech, obtain a Capital Ship, obtain a small fleet around it and send it on an expeditions, make racetracks, go on hunting/photo/wildlife observation/pirate hunting missions, solo or with other players (who you can now actaully see), all still wrapped in "oh yeah, don't forget to fill X/Y/Z meter every few minutes" core gameplay loop.

The main issue is that it doesn't change enough aside from numbers during a playthrough. On foot, with a vehicle, in a ship or in the mech you still just shoot stuff to mine it. All those vehicles do is let you mine more colorful stuff and faster/with more capacity. The UI still needs a lot of work, there is no automation, everything needs to be done by hand, even the fleet expeditions have to be manually debriefed. I come back from time to time, usually to mess around in VR (because all I've said also works for VR), because there is fun to be had in the game.

Oh yeah I think now you can also manage random towns on planets and have/ride pets - any generated animal you can tame can be a pet, even the flying ones. Overall the game is a solid 8/10.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 19, 2022

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

A has-been posted:

...makes an enormous difference to progress.

Explicitly negative difference, which Chris, old boy, you forgot to write there.

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 19, 2022

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
This page needs a taxxe to balance all the bullshit :iiasb: has thrown around.

https://i.imgur.com/2zxYpqL.mp4

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Blue On Blue posted:

so apparently they have 2000 NEW players a day signing up?

I would love to see the hard data metrics on that one, and not just the top 5 SC losers logging in via VPN using a few hundred fake accounts

there is absolutely NO way they have 2k brand new people a day discovering the trash heap that is SC and gleefully singing up

"We are now only months away from opening the two new offices, both of which will create world-class collaboration spaces and house our ever-growing team. Our new studio in the UK will deliver 90,000 sq ft of state-of-the-art creative studio space over the top three floors of Manchester Goods Yard, as well as two stages in the adjacent Manchester Studios and Bonded Warehouse complex; a dedicated motion / performance capture 4,500 sq ft stage with a suite of changing rooms, a green room, machine room, scanning room and a viewing gallery along with a smaller stage for Global Video Production which will have a dedicated set and be well set up for filming a vast array of content for Star Citizen and later on Squadron 42’s launch.

In Frankfurt we will be moving into 30,000 sq ft over two floors at the One with spectacular views high above the city skyline, which is double our current space in Frankfurt and should situate us well for any near-term growth there.

We’re also looking at the next location for our Austin studio, for potential move-in late next year, as we need more space there as well. And after this we will look to upgrade the LA studio too."

So they are opening two NEW offices, and then planning to expand / open new offices for Austin and LA.

Dear god they love splashing money around thinking it will keep raining down forever

They have activated the youtuber/streamer PR machine for the big sale.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blue On Blue posted:

Dear god they love splashing money around thinking it will keep raining down forever

i mean..

:laugh:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Yikes, that is a depressing post to read honestly. I think it's a little bit of insight into the kind of person that this appeals to.
They think back to when they were kids and games/media just felt so REAL and immersive to the developing brains that children have and they're desperate to grab onto that. Unfortunately there's no recapturing that magic as an adult in the same way as when you were 10. Most people recognize that and take games as they are, enjoying them for the experience while still acknowledging that it is in fact a game and keeping their expectations in hand.
But a certain segment yearns for that childhood feeling and thinks "if there was just a little bit MORE fidelity, more realism, more simulation of everything, it will feel the same as it used to!" and they will fund that dream as hard as they can.

References to concepts like Ready Player One or wanting stuff like the level of immersion of direct brain interfaces a la Sword Art Online are not unusual in the citizenry. I suppose that will eventually happen but we're not there yet and Chris Roberts is certainly not the person who will get us closer to that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the heck happened? a billion new posts, is sq42 out?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

marumaru posted:

the heck happened? a billion new posts, is sq42 out?

Chris (‘s PR guy) decided to write a huge this is why everything is taking so long missive

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

During the live broadcast that CR may or may not attend or speak at is definitely taking away valuable time from his 24/7 code whispering.

To ask him to play his game for like 30m for the event is akin to wasting hundreds of man hours because his focus is ruined then.

How dare anyone attempt to make such a preposterous request. As a ceo and developer and cto and crash test dummy, we all understand the work being done and how "staying in the zone" is absolutely critical to succeed, 110% of every minute of every day, for 10 years straight without a break- ever.

This is how you make the best software known to humanity.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kikas posted:

I have, and while vastly improved, the game is still much of the same from the start. At least now there are things to do.
I do think that they have pushed too little on all the Expeditions, those are very fun - basically you get a pre-determined world and a set of milestones to fulfil - fill in one tier, move to the next. Each tier does allow you to later visit a trader in the "Main" game's hub and claim a unique reward for your main save. However, there is one expedition active at a time (they have a IRL duration of a few weeks) and once you're done there's no reason to go again. They try to throw in some curveballs - maybe onw whole milestone is just "get your ship" which is on the other side of the planet so you have to drive there instead of flying. Maybe this universe has very little populated stations so trading is hard, stuff like that.

Other than that there are a few questlines and just being a tourist. But now you can grow organic ships, build bases, underwater bases, drive vehicles, drive your very own mech, obtain a Capital Ship, obtain a small fleet around it and send it on an expeditions, make racetracks, go on hunting/photo/wildlife observation/pirate hunting missions, solo or with other players (who you can now actaully see), all still wrapped in "oh yeah, don't forget to fill X/Y/Z meter every few minutes" core gameplay loop.

The main issue is that it doesn't change enough aside from numbers during a playthrough. On foot, with a vehicle, in a ship or in the mech you still just shoot stuff to mine it. All those vehicles do is let you mine more colorful stuff and faster/with more capacity. The UI still needs a lot of work, there is no automation, everything needs to be done by hand, even the fleet expeditions have to be manually debriefed. I come back from time to time, usually to mess around in VR (because all I've said also works for VR), because there is fun to be had in the game.

Oh yeah I think now you can also manage random towns on planets and have/ride pets - any generated animal you can tame can be a pet, even the flying ones. Overall the game is a solid 8/10.

Thanks that's interesting - I might fire it up again soon™. Oh one thing - do they have more than one river?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how obvious it is Chris only shows up to generate ship sales right before a big ship sale event. We won't hear from him again until CitCon (online only and no game play footage) where he will be on camera for a total of 5 minutes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/wiQucjN.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Moar tech quotes!

An easy mark posted:

I've been a software developer for over 10 years and this part really hit home.

A paragraph handler posted:

Been an application developer the better part of the last 15 years and I felt this paragraph as I read it.

A dev-to-dev salesman posted:

I work in cloud ans would love an architecture deep dive on their solution. Reading this ticked all the cutting edge cloud adoption boxes and I could feel their excitement too.
It might end up being one of the crowning achievements of the whole project and provide an example to many others. Hell, they maybe could even potentially sell the solution.

A gamer enthusiast posted:

Those if us fortunate enough to have app dev knowledge can especially appreciate what they've accomplished.
Such a monumental achievement. Not just for SC. Those is a gaming breakthrough.
Such a good time to bed a gamer and a great time to beat star citizen!

Such a good time to bed a gamer made me :lol:

An ancient tech appraiser posted:

The tech behind this thing is going to be more valuable than the actual game.

A true optimist posted:

I think this is my favorite part about star citizen. They are trying so many new things for gaming that have never been tried before. If SC has even a fraction of the success they hope to achieve it will change how games are made forever.

An idealist weatherman posted:

There's a real chance that SC might just stand as a freakish anomaly on the landscape for quite some time, as following in their wake isn't as simple as just taking notes on their designs. It's lightning in a bottle. Even CIG itself might not be able to top what it's done after all this and it becomes a more normal game studio.

A theoretical perfumer posted:

I can smell the Beta already 😋

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol and lmao

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Moar tech quotes!

Such a good time to bed a gamer made me :lol:

it's like no one actually read the details and just input what they wanted to hear

Chris literally says MAYBE possibly a test platform by END of the year, and most likely it will get pushed to 2023

FOR A TEST PLATFORM , not even a beta test, or anything near a release candidate

they are scheduling this poo poo for another 5+ years out folks

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

They all sound same. Either it's the effect of cult hive mind where people regurgitate same talking points over and over again or they're astroturfer accounts used to boost confidence in the development among backers.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I felt like I was on top of the world the first time I saved program data and loaded it back afterwards. Granted, that was on an Apple //c, I was only copy/pasting from the Introduction to Applesoft BASIC book that came with it, and I was 10, but still...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

"The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it."

You clearly don't have a grasp on how absolutely phenomenal the achievement is for them solving PES and laying the groundwork for server meshing. Here's the short nugget of knowledge to take away:

It is no longer theoretical. They've solved it. It works. They can and will deliver what they committed to.

Content we can chew on =/= the only progress that matters. These fundamentals are game changing and massively important.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 19, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i gave the chairmans message a very quick read and wow incredible they managed to save data to a database and it DIDN'T EVEN CRASH when they ran it again
as someone with some dev knowledge that is truly impressive and i'll be pledging at least 5000 more dollars

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

marumaru posted:

i gave the chairmans message a very quick read and wow incredible they managed to save data to a database and it DIDN'T EVEN CRASH when they ran it again
as someone with some dev knowledge that is truly impressive and i'll be pledging at least 5000 more dollars

And as we all know, running a database with three elements and one user is exactly the same as when you have thousands of concurrent read/write users and tens of millions of elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

It is no longer theoretical. They've solved it. It works. They can and will deliver what they committed to.

The first part is true, at least. It's been true since before CI¬G even began dreaming these things up.
Consequently, that last sentence is highly doubtful for all the regular NIH-reasons that affect everything CI¬G do.