Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I sent that link to a friend and we've been playing on one he set up. works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, a project manager

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To those running the oracle cloud server: how can i install screen or some form of remote instance? Right now I'm connecting and running the server on Putty but I can't close out the session (on my PC) without it shutting down the server. It's about the one thing I can't figure out.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To those running the oracle cloud server: how can i install screen or some form of remote instance? Right now I'm connecting and running the server on Putty but I can't close out the session (on my PC) without it shutting down the server. It's about the one thing I can't figure out.

tmux if you’re lazy, systemd if you want to be a big nerd

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

uniball posted:

Tmux was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uniball posted:

If you're really lazy you'd just

nohup minecraftservercommandhere &

but systemd is even lazier longterm than the other solutions and there are service files you can copy paste for minecraft all over google search results.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VegasGoat posted:

I was having issues like that and it turned out to be a faulty memory module. I only saw a problem with Minecraft packs because that was the usual time my system was using more than 8 gb memory and getting into the second set of modules.

So I’d suggest using system rescue cd or some other boot disc to run memtest and make sure it looks ok.

This made sense so I tried it but memtest was fine. Furmark was fine too. I ultimately updated my hard drive firmwares and it seemed to stabilize. Scary.

Fortunately, I got enough stability to finally hit the creative tank in Nomifactory!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Congrats!!! What a long road.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone playing modded 1.18 minecraft? Just set up a server and for some reason sleeping isn't working, we keep getting the "you can only sleep at night or during thunderstorms" even when it is nighttime. This persists through server restarts and I'm at a loss of what could cause that. I've got a random grabbag of mods, heres a pastebin if anyone wants to look: https://pastebin.com/m3wKjEt9

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 15, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What modpack are you using? I setup an All The Mods 7 server today (on the oracle cloud setup posted earlier) and even managed to migrate my vanilla start/world into it no problem. Sleeping has not caused any issues on my end outside of the blood moon nights where you can't sleep through.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What modpack are you using? I setup an All The Mods 7 server today (on the oracle cloud setup posted earlier) and even managed to migrate my vanilla start/world into it no problem. Sleeping has not caused any issues on my end outside of the blood moon nights where you can't sleep through.

No modpacks, just a random assortment. Most of them are decorative or pretty well known (Botania, mekanism, occultism, magical agriculture, etc) and I can't think of anything obvious that might affect it. I added a pastebin of the mods I'm using to the original post :v:

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 15, 2022

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Is it possibly a server setting issue? Is it also a problem in a single player map?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've played a few of the 1.18 modpacks.
While they've been buggy in other ways, I havent had any sleeping problems.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Is it possibly a server setting issue? Is it also a problem in a single player map?

Huh...theres seems to be something extremely wrong with my time. It stays daytime when I use /time set midnight and /gamerule doDaylightCycle does nothing :shrug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Xun posted:

Huh...theres seems to be something extremely wrong with my time. It stays daytime when I use /time set midnight and /gamerule doDaylightCycle does nothing :shrug:

Did you accidentally set your timezone to Antarctica?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xun posted:

Capitalization matters, that's been an issue for me in the past.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like Direwolf has started a 1.18 Lets Play and modpack.
Its on FTB, but pulls up on the MultiMC launcher, might need the dev version though.
His packs are usually fairly stable.

He just started it days ago though, so may want to wait to see if any bugs pop up.
247 mods, look like Tinkers and Thermal have finally updated to 1.18.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 16, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lol I tried adding tinkers to my frankenpack and it immediately crashes on startup. Nice to hear that thermal is updated though!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there a good minecolonies modpack? I'm interested in seeing it in action.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Let me tell you about my frankenpa--

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a good minecolonies modpack? I'm interested in seeing it in action.

Minecolonies doesn't really... integrate with, like, anything at all. It's its own thing entirely divorced from anything outside itself, and vanilla obviously, so there isn't really any way it could fit into any kind of pack organically. Anything it's in is going to just sort of have it sitting on the side somewhere.

Just drop it into something you're already playing, or make a pack with it yourself if you want to try it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended Rustic Waters 2, by the way - I've been having a ton of fun with it, and it was nice to be forced to learn a little bit of Create in a way that made sense before I could throw myself fully into Mekanism like I'm comfortable with.

I even built a Create-based elevator for going between stories in my base. :toot:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bleh Rustic Waters 2. Glad you're enjoying it, but my impression was that Boolyman went and made something full of amazing custom art and voice acting and a crazy ocean world and then.. started the pack so painfully generically that I can't get into it despite how crazy it looks.

Probably just because I've done the usual skyblock-ish cold open so many times though.

Speaking of packs though, what I'm making currently feels kinda unreleasable. I'm having so much trouble with Advanced Rocketry that unless someone comes along and forks it to fix its issues I might have to just give up the idea and do something else. It's either that or put a big warning page saying "Look, these are some issues that can't and won't be fixed, so here are some workarounds in case they affect you".

The reasons why I can't put it in Galacticraft instead is because the Space Station dimension has the zero-gravity nobody liked, and the Asteroid dimension has no day/night cycle thus is completely dark and Astral Sorcery doesn't work as a result. Fun Fact: if you've ever been to the Asteroids in GC you'll notice that there does seem to be light, and that's because GC asteroids spawn with invisible light sources covering one side of them, heh. If someone could implement Galacticraft's atmosphere system in the Advanced Rocketry Space Station dimension that would fix everything, but no idea how to do that.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 17, 2022

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Black Pants posted:

Bleh Rustic Waters 2. Glad you're enjoying it, but my impression was that Boolyman went and made something full of amazing custom art and voice acting and a crazy ocean world and then.. started the pack so painfully generically that I can't get into it despite how crazy it looks.

Probably just because I've done the usual skyblock-ish cold open so many times though.

Speaking of packs though, what I'm making currently feels kinda unreleasable. I'm having so much trouble with Advanced Rocketry that unless someone comes along and forks it to fix its issues I might have to just give up the idea and do something else. It's either that or put a big warning page saying "Look, these are some issues that can't and won't be fixed, so here are some workarounds in case they affect you".

The reasons why I can't put it in Galacticraft instead is because the Space Station dimension has the zero-gravity nobody liked, and the Asteroid dimension has no day/night cycle thus is completely dark and Astral Sorcery doesn't work as a result. Fun Fact: if you've ever been to the Asteroids in GC you'll notice that there does seem to be light, and that's because GC asteroids spawn with invisible light sources covering one side of them, heh. If someone could implement Galacticraft's atmosphere system in the Advanced Rocketry Space Station dimension that would fix everything, but no idea how to do that.

put out a request on some other forums. I'm sure you can talk to mod authors on github.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah this sounds like something you might be able to get a secondary mod for.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mods within mods

i haven't played with Create that much, so i think having the Rustic Waters 2 modpack basically walk you through using the mod for very early power generation and automation of sieving gravel/dirt is quite good. unless you mean "ugh i have to punch a tree again" in which case, i guess NEI lets you cheat in some wood? there's the usual faff with coke ovens i guess.

you get access to a seamoth for exploration surprisingly early, which is great fun to zoom around in. i still like the key system to let you get more workspace but i wish it was more extensible. five keys and done, after which you have to build your own, seems a bit shabby.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just took to building on the seafloor. :v: I have to have hydrostatic pots and my pumpjack down there, so why not build core infrastructure down there? String up some Immersive Engineering powered lanterns to disable spawns and build an ethereal glass encasement if you really want to, and you're golden.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

mods within mods

i haven't played with Create that much, so i think having the Rustic Waters 2 modpack basically walk you through using the mod for very early power generation and automation of sieving gravel/dirt is quite good. unless you mean "ugh i have to punch a tree again" in which case, i guess NEI lets you cheat in some wood? there's the usual faff with coke ovens i guess.

you get access to a seamoth for exploration surprisingly early, which is great fun to zoom around in. i still like the key system to let you get more workspace but i wish it was more extensible. five keys and done, after which you have to build your own, seems a bit shabby.

It was the shearing leaves to turn into leaf bundles to right click into string that put me off but fair the rest does sound neat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Black Pants posted:

It was the shearing leaves to turn into leaf bundles to right click into string that put me off but fair the rest does sound neat.

To be fair that only lasts until you get your first eight - you can craft a spiderweb sapling with 8 string and a sapling; it grows spiderweb fruit which you can right click for string, and you can even force them to grow faster by spamming sneak.

E: And later you can hydrostatic hopper pot string-making plants, and even later throw them into a hydroponic bay.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Black Pants posted:

Twerking/running around a bunch of flax plants means string was not a huge grind after the initial few.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What's the early method of collecting create outputs? I literally just built the first waterwheel/sieve in rustic waters 2; are you supposed to put hoppers at the end? I haven't used create before.

I didn't know about the spiderweb sapling; I kinda wish I didn't have to browse reddit for tips on modpacks and that the authors would take them as feedback and amend their quest lines to include useful stuff like this.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
You can use hoppers, but create has chutes and funnels for putting items into storage or taking them out. Mechanical arms can do this too but they are a little more sophisticated and later availability.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A mechanical belt and a chute pointing at a chest would probably work, I think.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bhodi posted:

What's the early method of collecting create outputs? I literally just built the first waterwheel/sieve in rustic waters 2; are you supposed to put hoppers at the end? I haven't used create before.

I didn't know about the spiderweb sapling; I kinda wish I didn't have to browse reddit for tips on modpacks and that the authors would take them as feedback and amend their quest lines to include useful stuff like this.

I would say the andesite funnel. It's similar to a hopper in that it'll collect things into a chest, but you can smack it with the wrench to make it pull instead. Brass ones can be filtered.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think the mechanical fan can blow stuff into a chute, but i'm not positive because, well,

Bhodi posted:

I kinda wish I didn't have to browse reddit for tips on modpacks and that the authors would take them as feedback and amend their quest lines to include useful stuff like this.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Bhodi posted:

For output collection not using Create blocks, you can use an upper (crafted by placing a hopper into a crafting grid) above the sluice and pointed into a chest to collect the items.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Welp I think I broke my server. Tried to update ATM7 to the latest but the update itself broke everything. As far as I can tell, ATM7 uses cursemeta in its script to grab stuff off curse and as of a day or two ago cursemeta is dead so the install script just spits out a bunch of errors and I can't see any other way to actually boot the server by rolling back to my previous files.

Bit of a reach, but has anyone run into this? Or is the issue on my end? I'm grabbing the server files straight from curseforge but the server install script is just riddled with errors now.

EDIT: ok yeah cursemeta is super dead and i guess this is all because of curseforge fuckery. May have to rethink my mods and just go another route

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 20, 2022

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anyone else has the brainworms i did in enjoying stuff like the bee breeding in forestry then this game is literally pretty much taking the grand majority of those mechanics and made it into a full, coherent thing. just released today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390190/APICO/

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anyone else has the brainworms i did in enjoying stuff like the bee breeding in forestry

Oh hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm very glad that Rustic Waters 2 is way more forgiving with the Draconic Evolution hellball, because it took a couple of tries to figure out what the gently caress before getting it working.

On the other hand, I'm currently filling up a 3.2 TFE induction matrix at about 5 million RF a tick. :toot: