Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Been playing the 2010 Aliens vs Predator game and as it's 12 years old now it's old enough for this thread I'd say, just finished the Colonial Marine portion of the campaign and it was okay, though I'm glad I decided to play on Easy cause it's very full of design choices that would have made it insufferable on higher difficulties(very limited weapon inventory*, weapons having very poor accuracy, very tanky enemies, and for some insane reason no crouch function even though the back half of the campaign has you fighting androids with guns who are often more accurate than you), earns some points back for having an unlimited ammo pistol that is actually okay as a backup weapon(at least on Easy)

Will probably do another post after I do the Alien and Predator campaigns, which from my recollection from back when I played it on the Xbox 360 were much better than the Marine campaign

*to be specific you can carry two guns plus your pistol, though the Smart Gun takes up both slots

I remember enjoying the multiplayer of that. Though it did suffer from a conga-line problem where you could stand behind someone doing a stealth/trophy kill, and then stealth/trophy kill them, only to get stealth/trophy killed by the guy standing behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I was trying to figure out which Alien vs predator game was the 2010 one, and stumbled upon this article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alien,_Predator,_and_Alien_vs._Predator_games
Jesus between alien, predator, and Alien vs Predator games, there's been 56 by my count. Jesus. Like two popular franchise I know, but that's a poo poo load.

Also the 1998(9?) Alien vs Predator game was brilliant. Playing as the Alien and just racing along the walls and ceilings than dropping down in the middle of a group of marine and killing them all before they had any idea what happened was just fun as gently caress.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the '99 and '01 games are what I recall whenever someone says "Aliens vs Predator 1 & 2"

There's also a whole pile of mobile and platform-exclusive games in there. That IP is well plumbed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AVp2 was unreal. I got it on the Sierra Gold rerelease for like €10 back in the day and I played it for so long. I loved the Predator campaign. Marine was too scary for my lil 12 year old brain. Could never figure out how to control the Alien

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I loved playing as the Alien in those. No other game ever recaptured that feeling of being a monster and stalking prey again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a Steam re-release of AvP1 with Steamworks multiplayer.

AvP2 hasn't been officially re-released digitally as far as I know, but there's a popular community-maintained repackage of the game that's probably not necessarily legal per-se, but I remember modern-day Monolith outright linking to it on Twitter when trying to organize a community game night a couple years ago so, you know, it's probably fine.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Whatever happened to that Sin remaster.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AvP1 (steam re-release) is also super easy to patch with hi-res videos and make it portable. Making it an amazing usb stick game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For some reason what I remember most about AVP2010 is disco

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Overbite posted:

Whatever happened to that Sin remaster.

Still in production. We probably announced it a little early for the work involved.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope the remaster ships with an option to enable the horrible vertex swimming

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Still in production. We probably announced it a little early for the work involved.

any chance of console ports?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Narcissus1916 posted:

To veer to the topic, I really hate how Project Warlock doesn't let you test out upgrades or save before buying them. I bought a ricochet upgrade for a weapon that made it literally unplayable for me to make progress so I had to restart.

Oh yeah, that's the worst upgrade for the nail gun. I mean, it can be helpful, but make sure you can heal, because those ricochets will definitely get you.

It'd be nice if it also auto-generated a magnet that repelled nails while shooting, so you never got hit with your own shots.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Quantum of Phallus posted:

any chance of console ports?

That's the plan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

That's the plan.

:hfive:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

can you play the duke leak on Mac or is it windows only

lol this mfer's trying to bet on duke with a mac

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rocket Pan posted:

That's the plan.

Hell yes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1Tn2gFOP8

i still think about this song

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You should go to jail for saying the bad AvP game gets to be in this thread. Only 1 and 2 buddy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean it's a good game and console shooters are fun but aight

Dialing down the hyperbole somewhat -- I find trying to play an FPS with a thumbstick really frustrating. There are a few games that can get away with it; Perfect Dark coasts by on nostalgia and an excellent weapon selection (although these days I prefer playing it in an emulator with mouselook), and Metroid Prime 1/2 put a lot of design work into making it more about target selection than about aiming per se, so they also get a pass, but stuff like Halo, Black, 007 Nightfire, etc is just not that fun most of the time. And PS2 emulation is still kind of a shitshow, so mouselook is probably off the table for the forseeable future.

I miiiiight still try out Timesplitters 2 someday, but in a world where I have a big pile of unplayed early (or retro-inspired) FPSes on PC, plus a stack of megaWADs higher than my head, I don't have a lot of interest in fighting console controls to try out FPSes I missed on that side of the fence, even if they are really good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

This song makes regularly rotation on my mp3 player at work. What a banger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

You should go to jail for saying the bad AvP game gets to be in this thread. Only 1 and 2 buddy.

What about the console one that figured out dual control stick fps controls for the first time

E: I guess alien resurrection isn’t technically an avp game fine

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 19, 2022

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AVP2010 had some jank rear end Predator jumping mechanics where you had to target pre-determined jump points.

Somehow playing as the Alien was less of a headache.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm of the opinion that "Early FPS" refers to the very specific time period of the 1990s and very very early 2000s (late-PS2 gen debatably doesn't count), and isn't a rolling scale like "retro" is. This does get muddled a bit with retro FPS revivals sharing the ethos of that era like Dusk, and I'm also not above discussing FPSes outside the narrowed scope defined above like AvP2010, but IDK, 2010 is firmly in the CoD era of FPS design, and CoD doesn't really share the same ethos. (Multiplayer kinda does, aside for all those perks, kill streak bonuses, unlockables...)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You are correct.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm of the opinion "who cares, talk about cool FPS games"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
much like the halo series, as a sequel to a game we have defined as an early fps game it is grandfathered in as acceptable to speak of

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

site posted:

much like the halo series, as a sequel to a game we have defined as an early fps game it is grandfathered in as acceptable to speak of

Yeah, I see no problem with this. Y'all talk about the latest Shadow Warrior, and even the 'new but old' games like Dusk, HROT, Nightmare Reaper, and Project Warlock, so :shrug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This thread is focused on retro (PS360 era and newer by forum rules) and retro-inspired FPSes, but also has a proclivity for discussing newer ones as part of the larger discussion about the evolution and change of the genre. It's all good in my eyes (for what that matters, I'm just some rear end in a top hat), but of course new games might get better (or at least more active) discussion in the main Games forum.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I see no problem with this. Y'all talk about the latest Shadow Warrior, and even the 'new but old' games like Dusk, HROT, Nightmare Reaper, and Project Warlock, so :shrug:

The new but old games clearly fall under the umbrella.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'd rather die than talk about FPS games in the Games forum, where everyone seems to hate anything that isn't Titanfall 2

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't even realize this thread wasn't in the top-level Games forum anymore.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

The Kins posted:

This thread is focused on retro (PS360 era and newer by forum rules) and retro-inspired FPSes, but also has a proclivity for discussing newer ones as part of the larger discussion about the evolution and change of the genre. It's all good in my eyes (for what that matters, I'm just some rear end in a top hat), but of course new games might get better (or at least more active) discussion in the main Games forum.

But you're "our" rear end in a top hat. <3

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just a heads up, Borderlands 3 is free on EGS right now. I know opinions are mixed on the series, but for those who haven't played it yet and want to check it out, like me, there ya go.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
AVP 1999 and AVP 2010 have the same developer, Rebellion, who also made AVP 1994 on the Atari Jaguar.

They are also the developer behind the Sniper Elite series and the Zombie Army spinoff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sniper elite owns

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rebellion are great

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is sniper elite the one where you can shoot hitler's ballsack off and it goes to a super slo mo x-ray zoom showing his balls getting pulverized

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

throwing my lot in with the "rebellion are great" camp