Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody finally sitting down Garou to ask him how he feels and get poo poo off his chest :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shindragon posted:

That was the best :allears:

We now enter Therapy with your host Captain Baldy.

That's Caped Baldy you cretin. You are obviously not a real Baldy fan.

pik_d posted:

I just sort of assumed "that bastard" is supposed to be God?

Same

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Love how Garou looks more and more like a JRPG endboss with every chapter and continues to suck at being a bad guy.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
how is this manga consistently so good

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Something I just noticed in the last panel: Saitama still made sure to take his boots off before sitting down in the completely destroyed house

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Damnit you know how much a good tatami costs in this day and age

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Darth TNT posted:

That's Caped Baldy you cretin. You are obviously not a real Baldy fan.

ouch man

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hope they don't cheap out on the anime next time around (and a few dozen animators don't mind working themselves to death)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

No that's a different hero entirely.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hope they don't cheap out on the anime next time around (and a few dozen animators don't mind working themselves to death)

Honestly, I have a hard time feeling excited for season 3. They've waited so long and the anime is so far behind now that I feel like it'll be a frustrating experience to watch after all this time. Season 2 of the anime left off before the monster association arc started, yet in the manga that arc has been going on for longer than everything before it combined. If they keep a similar pace, season 3 will probably end long before they even go underground.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Honestly, I have a hard time feeling excited for season 3. They've waited so long and the anime is so far behind now that I feel like it'll be a frustrating experience to watch after all this time. Season 2 of the anime left off before the monster association arc started, yet in the manga that arc has been going on for longer than everything before it combined. If they keep a similar pace, season 3 will probably end long before they even go underground.

I kind of agree. I think based on the typical season lengths, and volume content per season, season 3 would end with the Saitama vs Oorochi fight (which probably makes the most sense).

But I might be more excited if they decided to finish the entire arc in, say 15-20 episodes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Part of the issue is we've already revisited the events by reading murata's version. So the anime version is a third trip through the same story.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 19, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I mean, if they bring the same quality as season 1 I'm all for it.

Season 2 was just not very good though. None of the fights were well animated which was such a bummer. If they're going to keep it to that level of effort and quality then why bother

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Season 2 baffles me because Mob Psycho 100 managed to stay consistent between the 2 seasons and those have extremely impressive action set-pieces too. I still haven't seen season 2 but the reaction to it from fans was such a bummer to read.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Season 2 baffles me because Mob Psycho 100 managed to stay consistent between the 2 seasons and those have extremely impressive action set-pieces too. I still haven't seen season 2 but the reaction to it from fans was such a bummer to read.

Different studio, an unmovable timeline, and some technical problems such as power outages from what I've heard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also MP100 leaned into ONE’s simplistic art style but made it not janky so it had the best of both worlds by not having to be faithful to an insane workhorse like Muruta.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The season 1 to 2 quality jump in OPM was on the order of those Disney direct to VHS sequels. It was stunning just how much it collapsed and then there was all the stuff that came out about the studio manager hating on the author.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Different studio, an unmovable timeline, and some technical problems such as power outages from what I've heard.

Ah. I knew about the studio change but not the other things. That sucks.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think the issue for me with this adaptation from the webcomic is that it took TOO long to get to the 'Fireworks Factory' or whatever we call it.

Honestly I'm a little exhausted by this arc; we could have cut out a good four Final Boss Fights and nothing would have really been lost in the grand scheme of things. Despite the highs still hitting their marks, the former really felt like it shortchanged the weight of that rolling momentum that was air-tight in the web version.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
After finally having read this arc to what must be nearing completion, I can finally agree with the webcomic readers that yes, some of the details mixed in were lost due to the length and amount of characters swirling around. All the (at the time) fun side missions and backstory reveals are hard to recall distinctly at this point.

Crucially though, I and other manga-only plebs could not say this before reading it all, so who exactly was all the complaining in this thread for the last 3 years for!!!!!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

After finally having read this arc to what must be nearing completion, I can finally agree with the webcomic readers that yes, some of the details mixed in were lost due to the length and amount of characters swirling around. All the (at the time) fun side missions and backstory reveals are hard to recall distinctly at this point.

Crucially though, I and other manga-only plebs could not say this before reading it all, so who exactly was all the complaining in this thread for the last 3 years for!!!!!!

Tbh it didn’t take three years to get off the rails in a way that was lacking compared to the ONE version’s brevity, like as someone who doesn’t usually openly complain (cause it’s kinda close to being “wink wink nudge nudge”) stuff that was sort of halfassed like Garou saying he got a huge power boost from leveling offscreen was pretty weak in the ONE version.

but after a certain point the rewrites and focus on stuff like the monster king that doesn’t set up for a punchline or involve good character moments like Genos tanking a hit for a child and Mumen Rider’s stand against the Sea King kinda feel overindulgent even in the vacuum universe where the ONE version never existed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Totally disagree there. But that's because I like fights and most comic books/manga have absolute dogshit fights and bad art so every new chapter where people are fighting and doing crazy things in One Punch Man is a treat for me. Hell, one of my favourite segments was Saitamas fight against Orochi when Orochi discovers that he's not the chosen one but just some scrub to be offered as sacrifice to God

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I thought it was all good too, but compared to the story segments like Sea King or Boris, this one sprawled and had weird stops and starts that made it hard to take a "feeling" away from it. I feel like 5 of the big battles here were worthy of separate arcs borne of some unique situation instead of them ALL being jumbled into this orochi-garou epic.

Also no speed of sound sonic in 3 years is clearly a blunder, no matter what.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

UP AND ADAM posted:

Also no speed of sound sonic in 3 years is clearly a blunder, no matter what.

3 years of painful diarrhea

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm extremely confused, it looks like they redrew the latest chapter to make Saitama less sympathetic which pushed Garou towards "God"

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3270296674344129439

I wonder if its some kind of meta time travel type thing where "God" literally influenced the comic itself?? This is dumb I'm dumb.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

pik_d posted:

I'm extremely confused, it looks like they redrew the latest chapter to make Saitama less sympathetic which pushed Garou towards "God"

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3270296674344129439

I wonder if its some kind of meta time travel type thing where "God" literally influenced the comic itself?? This is dumb I'm dumb.

Now I'm very confused

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Man, I liked the old version way better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

i do like some of the saitama faces tho

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you’re going to rewrite it twice just rewrite it to follow the same plot as the webcomic lmao, this is just confusing now

Like, I’d get it if there’s a cool new place they’re going with this but they’ve decided it’s not cool enough??? :confused:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do like Garou's new form

But how can you not immediately follow up on how the last chapter ended?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think my point here is I really hate the endless chapter rewrites

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Booooooooo
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Universe Man, Universe Man, power of the entire universe man. They have a fight, Saitama wins, Saitama Man.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the previous version was way better, wtf.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

pik_d posted:

I want this to be true.

I want this to be the thing.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think my point here is I really hate the endless chapter rewrites

It could be worse.

It could be an endless eight of rewrites.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I wonder how saitama will get out of this one.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I normally don't look at the raws but I did

hmmmmmmmmm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If we hadn't already had 5 Phoenixman redraws I would wonder how Saitama would handle fighting someone with power over portals but now I'm not worried at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
:sickos: