Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Floodixor posted:

I got Control for 10 bux because I'd been meaning to play it, and now I have a rad laptop so I can.

It's good! It's absolutely just a game based on SCP articles but it's very good at what it does. And as much as I thought the telekinesis bit would be old hat since I grew up with things like the Gravity Gun, it's a hoot. Mainly because so many small objects have physics attached to it so if you pick up a table, all the things on it go a-clatter and so it's very satisfying to bash that into people.

Also I like the Holi-like way the enemies burst apart. Just satisfying impact.

I had more fun with Control than any other shooter I've played since 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i love reading huge posts wherein the poster just does fundamentally not understand the concept of people being able to enjoy things in different ways than them

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Panzeh posted:

You do realize that a lot of people play RTS games to just watch a bunch of tanks go beat up the other tanks, and a lot of the skill involved in managing the economy behind it isn't really that crucial to their fun, right? I actually enjoy macro and economy optimization but when i was a wee lad i liked watching the prism tanks blow up everything. I wasn't there to Git Gud at Red Alert, though yes it did get old after a while, as all games tend to.

Honestly, the worst aspect of 'earn it' in gameplay has to be the progression systems in every game that's made nowadays, like, hey, play games to fill up bar so you can actually use this unit/faction/item, etc. And the defenses are all "well, you'll feel more accomplished if you have to play 80 games before you can do this playstyle" and it's just, no, gently caress off with that. I know it hits the lizard brain bar go up reflexes to a T but it still sucks.

My point is that these two things are utterly and completely different.

Some people just wanna watch tanks go boom. Sure, everyone does, that's why c&c is so popular, very few people want to play at a professional level.

But if that was all they wanted, they'd watch a video, right? You could just youtube the game and pay nothing. It isn't JUST tranks go boom. It's "my tanks" make tanks go boom. BEHOLD MY BEAUTIFUL ARMY!

progression poo poo is trying to get you to engage more, or gating stuff.

But the resource element, the hardship to construction, that's what makes them YOUR tanks.

And obviously, clicking on the 'build tank' button does a bit of that. But why not remove that too? Why not just have a single button that says "do you want to build thousands of tanks".

My point, and it's in the controversial thread, is that this isn't actually reducto ad absurdium, but just a continuation on a path that eventually everyone would agree with me is stupid, it's just that I'm criticising the first steps, not just the whole journey.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

site posted:

i love reading huge posts wherein the poster just does fundamentally not understand the concept of people being able to enjoy things in different ways than them

putting on instabuild and infinite money in an rts and smashing your units faces against things is something an 8 year old would do though

it can't possibly entertain an adult for more than 10 minutes, I just don't understand how it could possibly hold your attention beyond the novelty of it at first

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I had more fun with Control than any other shooter I've played since 2016

i hope control 2 is more ashtray maze, less clearing the cafeteria of the same trash every time you pass through

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

site posted:

think of them as the lore collectibles of SA

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

poverty goat posted:

i hope control 2 is more ashtray maze, less clearing the cafeteria of the same trash every time you pass through

yeah I agree with this too, Control was a really neat SCP game and I want more weird wild SCP poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hey guys, do you know where to find supermechagodzilla post 128764/229899912?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just don't understand how it could possibly hold your attention beyond the novelty of it at first

yes thank you for proving the point

MrQwerty posted:

yeah I agree with this too, Control was a really neat SCP game and I want more weird wild SCP poo poo

also yes control was great and it's a bummer remedy is doing Alan wake 2 first instead of following up on it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

precision posted:

think of them as the lore collectibles of SA

Why haven't I gotten the achievement for getting all of them?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

is pepsi ok posted:

The process is they bring in a focus group and say "who here remembers [thing]?" and if more than half the people raise their hands the show is greenlit.

I wish they'd do this with Sliders :sigh:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i started front mission 3 the other night and last night after the kids are asleep I go through probably 50 minutes worth of dialogue & a really close, fun, exciting battle and then it got stuck on NOW LOADING and I was like what the gently caress. turning the PS2 vertically and ejecting + reinserting the disc finally fixed it after 5 minutes.

if i can find my little screw drivers, I think I should take it apart and clean it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

itry posted:

do you think there's some way that Netflix wouldn't just make dogshit and ruin Sliders? they would make dogshit and call it Sliders

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

!Klams posted:

It's kind of related to cheating, but my unpopular opinion is that, custom maps where you get, like infinite oil Derricks right by your base in red alert, or like the map is just sniper corridors in counterstrike, aren't fun. And that they aren't fun for anyone, even the people who think they're fun.

Those kinds of things are systems. Like, having to gather resources to be able to build tanks is a system, that's in a balance. The naive way to see it is that the tank is the reward for the work of the resource gathering. Or that the good sniper spot is the reward for finding and getting to the sniper spot without dying.

But that fundamentally misrepresents what the system is. Its not a cost with a reward, like buying sweets, where the more sweets you get the better. Its a game, and the bit you're skipping is the game part, to get straight to the part where you score the goal.

But if you unilaterally remove the game part, then it just reduces the game. It's like If you took a soccer game, reduced both teams to one player, and you both just stood in front of open goals, kicking the ball in the net. Scoring the goal becomes the boring "work" part, and the reward becomes 'scoring the most goals'. Which is super dull.

Spamming the most expensive tank in RA becomes the only strategy. It mostly comes down to RNG. Counterstrike becomes a game of Microsoft Windows with the victory condition being "who's got the fastest Internet". Its just "less" game, not more of the good stuff. The good stuff is only good because its earnt.

It totally works for stuff like GTA though, because that game is mostly a sandbox. The restrictions there give you creative options, but removing them really is just giving you different creative options. There isn't really the same sense of 'goal', just a sense of 'play'.

what the actual gently caress does any of this mean? some people are having fun incorrectly? they are tricking themselves into believing they are having fun because you don't enjoy said thing?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you can't do stuff like this without cheats. it is fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

site posted:

yes thank you for proving the point

This is not a thread for understanding that people enjoy different things, this is a thread for maintaining that your perspective is right and all others are stupid

saying "different people enjoy different things" is just stupid and boring and shuts down all the fun arguments

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

thats what opinions are though, like wtf do you want posters in an opinions thread to talk about?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i thought this was the thread for unpopular videogame onions. whoops!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

saying "different people enjoy different things" is just stupid and boring and shuts down all the fun arguments

its a boring get out clause for people who can't or don't want to justify to themselves why they enjoy the things they do

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should have named the Frenzy status in Bloodborne "Hysteria"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the worst status is "frog"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

kntfkr posted:

the worst status is "frog"

Imp'd

Can't remember what FF had enemies casting this silly spell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

thats what opinions are though, like wtf do you want posters in an opinions thread to talk about?

Facts. For example, the fact that dark souls is a bad game that was hyped up way beyond what it is: modern kings field, for babies

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this is another example of my point. saying people are playing something wrong because you literally don't grasp the idea that someone can enjoy something differently isn't an opinion, it's a failure to understand other people

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is not a thread for understanding that people enjoy different things, this is a thread for maintaining that your perspective is right and all others are stupid

this cheating thing comes up fairly frequently because the same people who have trouble with the concept repeat themselves over and over and learn nothing every time I'm not sure what's fun about it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah but playing with cheats as an adult is baffling because its incredibly boring after like 15 minutes and the novelty wears off

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jokes posted:

Facts. For example, the fact that dark souls is a bad game that was hyped up way beyond what it is: modern kings field, for babies

See opinions are relative and to me thats a good one since someone who has actually played Kings Field will know more about From's catalogue than a scrub like me who hadn't even played Demon Souls. I can respect someone with that knowledge and history has earned the right to those expressions.

Still, it's no Otogi though

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I think every game would benefit from a "big head" code ala Goldeneye.

Discuss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Literally A Person posted:

I think every game would benefit from a "big head" code ala Goldeneye.

Discuss.

with paintball

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah but playing with cheats as an adult is baffling because its incredibly boring after like 15 minutes and the novelty wears off

but it isn't :ssh:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

this is another example of my point. saying people are playing something wrong because you literally don't grasp the idea that someone can enjoy something differently isn't an opinion, it's a failure to understand other people

I mean, is it really? Trying to understand other people will drive you insane, there's way too much poo poo there and way too many people to comprehend the range of human opinion.

The problem is its just not that interesting to hear people say things like "I played the first 3 hours of Breath of the Wild, it was alright" or "call of duty games are fun, i like them", it's loving boring, yeah folk on here might be overly indulgent on over the top videogame opinions but what else would you rather read? people getting angry about politics? gently caress that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
here's an uncomfortable fact: the stupid new borderlands game is actually good. the writing is even up to the level of "i do not want to kill myself or mash the skip dialogue button" but hey, early days, i'm sure the game will annoy me to death eventually

mechanically though it's... it's just drat good?? borderlands 3 was trash garbage straight from the poopy butthole of a particuarly diarrhetic poopy butthole, literally worse than the pre-sequel, but this one like, the basic framework is there but since it's :airquote: fantasy :airquote: there's a lot more fun to be had with weapons being silly and such

like you have a crossbow that you reload by sprinkling pixie dust on a bowl of crystals or whatever. it's cute. and the spell/talent system is very chonky. the guns and especially the mellee weapons have a lot more "oomph" to them, things no longer feel completely floaty and weightless

its hecka fun does anyone wanna play?? my xbox is "xerodr0ne". that's a zero where the second O should be, because somehow, my old Sony name of "zerodrone" is actualy taken on xbox. which means there's an imposter affot...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean, is it really? Trying to understand other people will drive you insane, there's way too much poo poo there and way too many people to comprehend the range of human opinion.

is this tiny Tina's adventures of whatever it's called?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

site posted:

is this tiny Tina's adventures of whatever it's called?

yeah. i'm not far but so far i'd say it's as good as 2. the villain is Will Arnett, and he's not as good as Handsome Jack but they clearly wanted to go in that kind of direction again where the villain is kind of funny instead of just annoying

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you're comparing it to 2 i have to ask, is there a claptrap analog

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The problem is its just not that interesting to hear people say things like "I played the first 3 hours of Breath of the Wild, it was alright" or "call of duty games are fun, i like them", it's loving boring, yeah folk on here might be overly indulgent on over the top videogame opinions but what else would you rather read? people getting angry about politics? gently caress that

no i would be quite happy to read more long posts about not understanding the concept of fun it was fuckin funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

site posted:

if you're comparing it to 2 i have to ask, is there a claptrap analog

so far there isn't any one "super annoying NPC" but i'm sure we'll get there

tina is a little less "lolrandom" and more just generically amusing. i still find some of her affectations infinitely annoying, like anytime she ends a sentence with "bay-bay" or whatever that "accent" is, but a lot of the time she's fine

there's this adventurer dude named Valentin who is fine, he's just a generic himbo type dude

there's a robbit named Flette whom is voiced by Wanda Sykes, and so, you know what's going on there. but it's fine, she does a great job and they don't do any overt "urban references" but again, i'm sure she will say "booya" at some point

and just met another NPC named Paladin Mike whose gimmick is that they are a rude chav what is a noble paladin. d'ya get it? clever, innit??

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Borderlands games were always good fun levelling up while shooting up zaniness with a great art style, a ton of folk say that Tales from the Borderlands is the best one but it just had no hook for me, over the top dialogue and crazy characters are much easier to put up with if its a means to shooting more things and levelling up rather than an end in itself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

Thanks for reminding me there's a Fresh Prince remake going. It's not a comedy. No, I don't know why it exists.

I'd watch this if they made Wil smith rich uncle phil

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Borderlands games were always good fun levelling up while shooting up zaniness with a great art style, a ton of folk say that Tales from the Borderlands is the best one but it just had no hook for me, over the top dialogue and crazy characters are much easier to put up with if its a means to shooting more things and levelling up rather than an end in itself.

it's because Tales From has writing that is so much better it's like it was made by a company that has nothing to do with the series :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

Sliders ruined itself. you don't want more sliders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah Tiny Tina's is fun. My only complaints are, there isn't as much weapon variety as B3, and once you get into Chaos mode at endgame the bosses become massive bullet sponges. The characters and chatter are all mostly better and less cringe inducing than B3, though I've always enjoyed Tiny Tina so that does color my opinion.