Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rick posted:

Watching season 2 . . .

Season 2 doesn't hold up as much today, although back in the day I thought it was one of the greatest. It's very much a response to season 1 in that a lot of people thought the idea of alliances were distasteful, and didn't like that a "villain" won. The theme of season 2 ended up being about who was the most deserving (Christian) to make it to the end, and anyone who dared to try and make moves and not accept their spot on the bottom of the not-alliance was seen as a sore loser.

It has some iconic moments and characters, but the way the season ultimately plays out is frustrating to rewatch after 40 seasons. Especially the way they portrayed Jerri has some black widow, and the most hated woman in America. If she had competed for the first time today, that never would have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha oh my god the way jerri is villainized is so insane for how mild her actions were. It's so weird watching the renuion episode and stuff back when survivor was a Huge Deal and people had been talking about this poo poo for weeks.

the time capsule aspect is my fav part of survivor rewatches. was season 1 or 2 the one with that jackass who voted people purely on alphabetical order. lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 doesn't hold up as much today, although back in the day I thought it was one of the greatest. It's very much a response to season 1 in that a lot of people thought the idea of alliances were distasteful, and didn't like that a "villain" won. The theme of season 2 ended up being about who was the most deserving (Christian) to make it to the end, and anyone who dared to try and make moves and not accept their spot on the bottom of the not-alliance was seen as a sore loser.

It has some iconic moments and characters, but the way the season ultimately plays out is frustrating to rewatch after 40 seasons. Especially the way they portrayed Jerri has some black widow, and the most hated woman in America. If she had competed for the first time today, that never would have happened.

Agreed all around, especially on Jerri. It's all rather tame compared to stuff like two people a season do now.

Khanstant posted:

. was season 1 or 2 the one with that jackass who voted people purely on alphabetical order. lol

Hahah, that was season 1.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ll never quite get over that moment where the likable people in Season 1 realize what Hatch and them are doing and realize they have once chance to align and stop it and that idiot just ruins it because he won’t veer from his alphabet plan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
after that season they automatically discard applications from any address on sesame street

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Alphabet dude is the same one who won't stop saying f****t a bunch in the last few episodes because clearly Richard said it to him once and now it's cool, his new gay friend totally gave him permission to throw it around like confetti.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leatherhead posted:

Alphabet dude is the same one who won't stop saying f****t a bunch in the last few episodes because clearly Richard said it to him once and now it's cool, his new gay friend totally gave him permission to throw it around like confetti.

The early seasons all had issues with casual homophobia. I was shocked at that on rewatch in 2020. Brandon and Frank in Africa was another one, it was played for laughs, isn't it funny when a gay man and a homophobic bigot go on a date? Boston Rob showed his homophobic rear end in Marquesas too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

after that season they automatically discard applications from any address on sesame street
:lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

The early seasons all had issues with casual homophobia. I was shocked at that on rewatch in 2020. Brandon and Frank in Africa was another one, it was played for laughs, isn't it funny when a gay man and a homophobic bigot go on a date? Boston Rob showed his homophobic rear end in Marquesas too.

Yea, it's easy to hate on it, but it was what was acceptable behavior at the time. Survivor is quite a time capsule of how far the world has come in the 20+ years it's been on. There's not too much media in the early 2000s that actually shines a positive light on homosexuality as being a normal thing, especially not a mostly unscripted reality show...

The same year as Marquesas, the Friends episode, "The one with Chandler's Dad" aired... Which they put a laugh track behind calling Chandler's transgender parent the correct pronouns.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
People complain about production now but drat they stack the deck for Colby so much in this show. Including a reward challenge that was made up of a best of exclusively challenges he already won and these rewards start to feel like things Jeff wants to do with Colby rather than reality show faire.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha good move Maryanne

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Maryanne and Romeo making moves from the bottom. Good on them!!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
When Mike was talking to people about how to vote before immunity challenge, I legit forgot Romeo was still there and could be voted for

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think at this point, the days of having a clear frontrunner in the show are over. They only cast diehard fans who are hyperaware of the edit, and who would most likely win.

After Hai's departure, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the season. This episode I finally started to come around to the idea of an Omar win, but now he's gone.

Maryanne pulled off a brilliant strategy all on her own, so I could be down with her winning. Is it too late into the game to win though? Mike and Jonathan are well liked, but they've both proven to be strategic dunces, and are easily fooled. Romeo doesn't stand a chance. Lindsay could win, but her only story has been that she's the only physical threat to Jonathan. This is a pretty tight race for a final 5.

I would be content with a Maryanne or Lindsay win. I would be fine with a Mike win. I would be bemused by a Romeo win, he could only win with a very bitter jury. I would be upset with a Jonathan win.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I think at this point, the days of having a clear frontrunner in the show are over. They only cast diehard fans who are hyperaware of the edit, and who would most likely win.

After Hai's departure, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the season. This episode I finally started to come around to the idea of an Omar win, but now he's gone.

Maryanne pulled off a brilliant strategy all on her own, so I could be down with her winning. Is it too late into the game to win though? Mike and Jonathan are well liked, but they've both proven to be strategic dunces, and are easily fooled. Romeo doesn't stand a chance. Lindsay could win, but her only story has been that she's the only physical threat to Jonathan. This is a pretty tight race for a final 5.

I would be content with a Maryanne or Lindsay win. I would be fine with a Mike win. I would be bemused by a Romeo win, he could only win with a very bitter jury. I would be upset with a Jonathan win.

“This is a pretty tight race for a final 5.”

Sounds like a fun reason to keep watching. It’s been plenty unpredictable, outside producer random bs, so that’s fun. All my hopes and picks have have gone away, but such is life. Romeo should be an obvious goat, but who knows. People are people, and and are random too. Except for ego, which has cost both Hai and Omar. Good for Maryanne. Hope she goes far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maryanne and Mike are guaranteed F4 at least thanks to their idols. Presumably one of Lindsay/Jonathan is gonna win the next immunity again so the other one goes, and then Romeo eats his way to FTC because at that point why wouldn't you take Romeo to the end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saying Lindsay has only been a physical threat is unfair, she wasn't the ringleader Omar or Hai were but she's probably been the most actively strategic of the remaining five. It was her idea to have Mike give Omar his idol to protect it from Drea, after all. Her biggest mistake is hyperfocusing on Jonathan, really, especially once they got down to seven and his inability to strategize was out there.

Anyway, final tier list

Maryanne

Lindsay

Mike
Jonathan

just pretend I put an obnoxious amount of empty lines here

Romeo

Maryanne is going to have the most recent big move when final tribal comes around and recency bias is a big thing, and she's either the most or second most (Mike) liked person around the camp. She also might have to make fire to get there, which I think would wrap it up if she succeeds. I still think Lindsay's combination of physical and strategic prowess is the best remaining in the game, and she was in on most of the big moves before tonight.

Mike and Jonathan will just come down to if people respect social or physical more I think. I feel like if it's those two and Romeo that Mike probably has more "guaranteed" votes on the jury than Jonathan so the mathematical 50/50 between tossups would favor him.

Nobody is going to vote for Romeo lol.

e: actually, Maryanne also has an idol that literally nobody knows about so if she busts it out on final 5 to make another flashy play it's probably a wrap if she's in the finals, so I should just put her in her own tier.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 19, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Maryanne has Natalie Anderson levels of timing and patience :discourse:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never believed in omar

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This was a big episode for the underdogs making the people on top look dumb. Obviously there was the vote itself, but also the Jonathan-Lindsay scene where Jonathan is like "we're obviously both lying to each other" but Lindsay is shown actually buying it. Meanwhile, not playing an expiring idol for protection simply because "it will go back into circulation" is not Survivor confident, it's Survivor hubris. What a sad misplay. It wasn't even a normal idol, it was the amulet thing, I don't think that would even go back into circulation!!

If they'd played the idol like they obviously should've, it would've been 2-2 on Jonathan and Romeo. I assume Lindsay and Omar still vote Jonathan, Mike and Maryanne vote Romeo, and Jonathan takes down Romeo at fire and Romeo feels dumb for taking the wrong side. Then Lindsay and Omar are down 3-2 and in big trouble at 5, unless everyone recalibrates who the jury threats are. So thinking that through, very strong move by Maryanne, where even if the idol did get played it leaves her in a good spot.

Drea's words about Omar were more damaging than I thought. Mike I think still somehow might think of himself as loyal but man, right after Omar saves him and gives him his idol back he immediately turns on him, if he tries to argue loyalty in front of the jury he's going down in flames.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

This was a big episode for the underdogs making the people on top look dumb. Obviously there was the vote itself, but also the Jonathan-Lindsay scene where Jonathan is like "we're obviously both lying to each other" but Lindsay is shown actually buying it. Meanwhile, not playing an expiring idol for protection simply because "it will go back into circulation" is not Survivor confident, it's Survivor hubris. What a sad misplay. It wasn't even a normal idol, it was the amulet thing, I don't think that would even go back into circulation!!

If they'd played the idol like they obviously should've, it would've been 2-2 on Jonathan and Romeo. I assume Lindsay and Omar still vote Jonathan, Mike and Maryanne vote Romeo, and Jonathan takes down Romeo at fire and Romeo feels dumb for taking the wrong side. Then Lindsay and Omar are down 3-2 and in big trouble at 5, unless everyone recalibrates who the jury threats are. So thinking that through, very strong move by Maryanne, where even if the idol did get played it leaves her in a good spot.

Drea's words about Omar were more damaging than I thought. Mike I think still somehow might think of himself as loyal but man, right after Omar saves him and gives him his idol back he immediately turns on him, if he tries to argue loyalty in front of the jury he's going down in flames.

It wouldn’t have been fire. I believe on the revote Maryanne gets to reuse her extra vote which means Maryanne’s choice goes home. Even if she doesn’t get her extra vote back, it would be rocks for Maryanne and Mike if they stay tied. There’s no way one of them wouldn’t switch in that case.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well they wouldn't do fire on a tie vote, but everything else is pretty much correct. Really bazaar for Lindsay to not play her idol as insurance there. Since a tiebreaker there would go to rocks if they didn't all agree, I can't imagine Mike or Maryanne not just agreeing to vote off Jonathan though if Omer was safe.

I actually don't think anyone will beat Maryanne at this point if she's in the final 3. She's played a good game, and played a good social game while being upbeat the whole game (even if to the point of being annoying). She likely already has Drea & Chanelle's votes locked in, probably Omer's vote as well for her play there, doubt there was any hard feelings from him for that play.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh yeah my bad, I was thinking fire because that’s what happens with 4 votes but there’s 6 players and 5 votes with Maryanne’s extra, so wrong all around. I think no chance of rocks either with 5 votes on the revote, so Maryanne just gets to choose between Romeo and Jonathan there.

Another thought about Lindsay’s amulet, it expired at 6! So her thought process was that an amulet expiring at 6 would be rehidden as an idol at 5, but only if she played it. I sure don’t think so.

Some other thoughts:

-Mike was targeting Omar, allegedly, because he thought Omar would come for him, but Maryanne was doing it because she thought he could win.
-Maryanne is the new front runner, but can she get past F4
-Does Lindsay go home at 5 if she doesn’t win immunity, and Jonathan goes if she does? The only other option is Romeo, and I can’t see them voting him unless they decide they need Jonathan’s strength.
-If Jonathan wins at F4, will he send Romeo into FTC and put himself into fire? Yes, right?
-The biggest risk with Maryanne's excellent move was it relied on Romeo. That actually was a risk but it worked.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

-The biggest risk with Maryanne's excellent move was it relied on Romeo. That actually was a risk but it worked.

That's the kind of risk that wins you the game though, and she clearly knew it. Or at least the edit framed it that way.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Lindsay might have a reason to keep her idol if no one else knows it expires at 6. She can bluff it at five as the last night she can play it, and keep the vote on someone else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Exit press is out and apparently, Omar found an idol nullifier pretty early in the game. He was going to use it on Mike at F5.

And it was apparently his undoing because Jonathan (who found it with him) found out he had told Lindsay. That lost Jonathan's trust, so he told Mike, and that lost Mike's trust.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm actually more annoyed than I probably should be that they left that out

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. I can see the edit arguments both ways, it basically has no pay off, but it does seem to have affected some of the final decisions. Is that worth giving it more time earlier in the season for finding it, and all the eventual talking heads about whether it should or shouldn't be used each tribal, when it ultimately doesn't get used before leaving the game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I'm mixed. S42 is a really well edited season so I don't know where they could have crammed it in. But it's weird that it was just... quietly shuffled out of the edit. But I guess there would be too much time taken up for something the audience had already seen before, unlike their shiny new amulets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Edit chat is legit and fine but I just want to say

This season has been great
The cast is great, I love the positive post vote vibes at tribal! Real I've been bamboozled! energy

I wouldn't have guessed in a million years after the first few eps that id be rooting for Maryanne to win but here we are

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They just need to make each episode 90 minutes like they did with another Viacom property, RuPaul's Drag Race. It gives you tons of room for werkspace drama (camp drama), challenges (challenges), and judge's panel (tribal council).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Exit press is out and apparently, Omar found an idol nullifier pretty early in the game. He was going to use it on Mike at F5.

And it was apparently his undoing because Jonathan (who found it with him) found out he had told Lindsay. That lost Jonathan's trust, so he told Mike, and that lost Mike's trust.
What the hell?! Just hide a huge chunk of the game from us why don't you! I guess there's so much junk in the game in terms of these advantages that if one doesn't pay off enough, introducing it will only confuse people. The edit has been so great this season otherwise too. Still though, something that got basically the main character sent out of the game seems like it should've been included. I think it's a sign they've put too many items into the game more than anything.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 19, 2022

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

ApplesandOranges posted:

I hate that they just edit stuff like this out. Now we just get the TV narrative instead of getting to have some idea of what’s actually going on? I’d rather just watch scripted television.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Reading Omar's exit interview with EW. Essentially, he admits that he flew too close to the sun, but insists that he's nobody, and the attention should have been on the flashier players like Mike, Jonathan and Maryanne.

When he's asked about the big lie he told about Hai, he really dances around it. He basically said that yeah, it was a little bit of a lie, but not really, because he still believes that it's something that Hai would have said.

Then he says that with the Rocksroy vote, Mike told Omar and Hai that he didn't want to vote for Rocksroy unless Drea was onboard, and Omar and Hai both said that she was. Then when Mike asked Drea about it, she said that she wasn't onboard with it. So in the interview, he's trying to frame this as Hai's big lie that turned Mike against him.

I'm just a little confused by this response. It almost reads a little bit like the narcissist's prayer.

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Watching him on the show, I thought he was a weasel in a fun way, but to see him continue to act like that is disappointing. He says that he still hasn't talked to anyone about what he did to Hai, which would explain how nobody had any clue what actually happened there until they saw Omar's confessional. He also says that Ponderosa was very uncomfortable, and people were very bitter towards him for the moves he pulled.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If that last bit is true maybe he didn't have a chance of winning at all lol

Kind of a weird dichotomy with how Hai and Drea left the game though

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

If that last bit is true maybe he didn't have a chance of winning at all lol

Kind of a weird dichotomy with how Hai and Drea left the game though

Just finished reading his Parade interview, and he worded things with the Drea thing that made me realize I misinterpreted what he's saying, but it doesn't change my impression of him. Basically, he and Hai weren't lying about Drea, Drea lied when she told Mike she wasn't on board, which made Mike think that Hai was lying to him.

Basically he was trying to deflect blame.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh, yeah blame deflectors pretty much always crash and burn at final tribal, don't they?

I suppose if he's getting ousted before the final episode it's a much more entertaining edit to show him how they did instead of closer to how he apparently was acting since it won't really confuse the audience when he gets shredded at FTC.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Omar plays that very big risk/big rewards game of making everyone trust you and then backstabbing them. So yeah, if you can't smooth that over and instead kind of try and weasel and lie your way out of it. Well some people CAN lie their way out of it but if you're getting called on your poo poo and won't own it that's a bad look that burns people.

This cast is weird because they've all been really chill and positive but it seems like there's a lot of egos and would be puppet masters and I half thing they're secretly seething and never spoke to each other again after they got home.

I think we're short changing Lindsey a lot. Even the Know It Alls are all "all she does is obsess about Jonathan... oh and it was her idea to tip off Mike and take out Drea." Like she's been on the right side of the vote every week until now, she's kicked rear end in challenges, she seems well liked and trusted to the point where Maryann seemed burned she had kept her idol from her, and you can very easily tell the story that last week she orchestrated Drea's eviction AND Omar taking the target for it while she got an idol out of the deal. I don't even think losing Omar SHOULD be bad for her. I mean she shouldn't want him at the end with her. Had she said to the camera "I'm not using my idol because I don't want it recirculated... and you know, if Omar goes that's not the end of the world" then she would have looked a lot better in this. Now I dunno if she put her game too much in Omar. But it feels like next week is just gonna come down to Lindsey/Jonathan and who wins the immunity. Which you know... kind of supports Lindsey's strategy of really wanting to take out Jonathan for immunities.

Good play by Maryann. I'm not sure it makes her this massive favorite winner's edit others are but it definitely threw her into contention which is drat impressive considering the position she played most of the game from. I kinda like Lindsay and am sorta pulling for her but I'd be amused to see Maryann defeat Jonathan and Romeo for the funniest final tribal/reunion since Russell.

edit: Listening to Omar's exit interview he even outright credits Lindsay for convincing him to make the Mike move and take out Drea.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 20, 2022

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, Lindsay's played a really good game. People are gonna rake her over her fixation on Jonathan, but it's not like it's unfounded; her challenge wins are on her resume, and he's an obstacle to that.

We've seen several seasons where a good female player doesn't get as much content, but at least they've given Lindsay more in relation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Good play by Maryann. I'm not sure it makes her this massive favorite winner's edit others are but it definitely threw her into contention which is drat impressive considering the position she played most of the game from. I kinda like Lindsay and am sorta pulling for her but I'd be amused to see Maryann defeat Jonathan and Romeo for the funniest final tribal/reunion since Russell.

I think this might be a new meta, and you can even blame Chris from Edge of Extinction for starting it. But it's becoming clear that if you play strong, you get a target and you get taken out. If you do nothing you get zero votes at the end. Therefore, you should do something cool when it's too late to spend any game time getting paranoid or plotting against you, at least over whoever else has been presenting a threat for longer.

Or maybe that's not new.