Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually doing Diamond Cutters as part of your yoga routine is loving ridiculous, and if it didn't help my neck and shoulders I wouldn't keep doing it

Head up, shoulders back, chest out.

I do diamond cutter as part of my jits cool down, feels real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Doing thousands of diamond cutters is the only reason Randy Orton’s still able to wrestle, no matter how bad WWE want you to believe it’s actually the RKO.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I gotta say i think i posted in this thread or another one about nervously wanting to try out DDP yoga like two months ago and it's really been helping. i still can't stand for a long period of time without pain but i can already tell my physical stamina's improved a lot and is closer to where it was when i was working standing up, moving around jobs. not like, all the way there, but getting there. And even though like, i'm a big woman and i haven't really lost weight something about doing these exercises with a lot of encouragement from the videos and like, actively making an effort to get my health back has made me feel more comfortable in my body on a day to day basis. Despite missing a week due to college finals season, even.

Genuinely, DDP Yoga rocks. highly reccomend it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

DDP yoga also doesn't differ much from more traditional yoga besides different names for things, which is kinda nice considering how insufferably new age most yoga people are.

I mean, normal yoga isn't structured like a cardio workout, so alongside the welcome lack of new age bullshit, that makes DDPY all the better imo

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

For what it's worth, my best friend and his wife are both yoga instructors with varying levels of new age poo poo in their lessons and were both really impressed with what I showed them from DDPY videos. Basically their opinion is that it's actual good yoga with dumb bro marketing. They also commented that people that do intense yoga for a long time end up with "yoga body" which apparently DDP has big as poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I feel like I read in at least one autobiography (possibly one of Foley’s) that DDP was always a big yoga guy because he knew he was breaking into the business old as poo poo and likely to break down fast.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
did they share what some of the distinguishing features of yoga body are?

1.) newfound ability to spit flame and teleport short distances

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like I read in at least one autobiography (possibly one of Foley’s) that DDP was always a big yoga guy because he knew he was breaking into the business old as poo poo and likely to break down fast.

For some reason I thought he was a yoga skeptic until he got injured in WCW, begrudgingly tried it, and found that it helped his pain a massive amount.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember some anecdote of Foley's where DDP was sitting in the hotel room with ice packs taped around his knees and elbows, which sounds about right for getting into the business in your 30s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember some anecdote of Foley's where DDP was sitting in the hotel room with ice packs taped around his knees and elbows, which sounds about right for getting into the business in your 30s.

Also he'd just wrap I think it was Saran wrap around his joints, which may absolutely be a thing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

I started training when I was 36 and was very pleased to find out they made ice packs with velcro straps. Truly a godsend.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ganso Bomb posted:

For some reason I thought he was a yoga skeptic until he got injured in WCW, begrudgingly tried it, and found that it helped his pain a massive amount.

Yeah:

The New York Times posted:

Page never quite had Roberts’s natural talent — he didn’t break through until age 35 — and his body suffered for it. During his career, Page tore both rotator cuffs, the meniscus in his left knee (twice) and the A.C.L. in his right knee. Then, at 42, he ruptured a disc between his fourth and fifth lumbar vertebrae while trying a move known as a “top rope supplex.”

During his recovery, however, Page grew frustrated with the standard battery of rehab exercises and stretches. One afternoon, he saw his wife at the time, Kimberly, working out in the basement of their suburban Atlanta home. Kimberly, a dancer for the World Championship Wrestling Nitro Girls, was sweating profusely. She recalls that Page asked if she’d been working out on the StairMaster.

“No,” she said. “I’ve been doing yoga. You should try it.”

“For the first 42 years of my life I wouldn’t have been caught dead doing yoga,” Page said. But he returned to the basement the next day and put on one of Kimberly’s yoga tapes. “There was a lot of grunting,” she recalls. “His flexibility was shot, so there was a lot of straining and a lot of sweating.” But from the first movements of the very first posture — in which he put his arms over his head and reached backward — Page felt his shoulders open, his spine elongate. He moved on to the cobra pose, which stretched his upper back in a different way, and then the downward-facing dog pose and the warrior pose. Page faithfully repeated the yoga tape in his basement for weeks until Kimberly finally connected him with a bodybuilder type who practiced yoga at a local gym. Soon they started practicing together. “One day,” Kimberly recalled, “we hiked to the top of Stone Mountain, that’s like Georgia’s Mount Rushmore, and did a yoga session.”

Kimberly searched all over the city until she found the right instructor: another buff guy, Craig Aaron, a local chiropractor who went by the name Yoga Doc and taught classes at Peachtree Yoga Center in Sandy Springs, Ga. Although Page was uncomfortable that Aaron greeted the class by playing a harmonium — “all of that namaste [expletive],” as he put it — he felt great afterward and began to create a form of yoga for broken-down macho guys like himself and others.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
great story, could've done without the part where they picnicked at or near a huge mural fawning over confederate heroes

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Barry Bluejeans posted:

great story, could've done without the part where they picnicked at or near a huge mural fawning over confederate heroes

it's Georgia, they would have had to leave the state to find a spot without one

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
cancelling DDP for hiking up and doing yoga on a racist mountain

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You can tell when he gets into yoga while watching WCW because they do some interviews making fun of him for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It's a badass mountain with a lovely confederate theme park built around it. poo poo is problematic and should be torn down, but the nature part of the park is super rad and for many many people in metro Atlanta, the only bit of decently preserved nature you're gonna get without driving hours or putting yourself in a river thats been compromised by years of industrial run off.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

You can tell when he gets into yoga while watching WCW because they do some interviews making fun of him for it.

On that note, did it ever come out that his self-help gimmick in WWE was his own idea or was it Vince and co. riffing on his fondness for yoga as well?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird that western bros turned yoga into a "chick thing". Traditionally it was originally all men before it branched out, and now insecure men are embarrassed by... good stretching?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Insecure men are embarrassed by washing or even wiping their rear end, so it checks out

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Nea posted:

I gotta say i think i posted in this thread or another one about nervously wanting to try out DDP yoga like two months ago and it's really been helping. i still can't stand for a long period of time without pain but i can already tell my physical stamina's improved a lot and is closer to where it was when i was working standing up, moving around jobs. not like, all the way there, but getting there. And even though like, i'm a big woman and i haven't really lost weight something about doing these exercises with a lot of encouragement from the videos and like, actively making an effort to get my health back has made me feel more comfortable in my body on a day to day basis. Despite missing a week due to college finals season, even.

Genuinely, DDP Yoga rocks. highly reccomend it.

The weight loss usually comes more with a change in diet as well, but it's good to hear that you're getting stronger and more comfortable in yourself. You're doing great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird that western bros turned yoga into a "chick thing". Traditionally it was originally all men before it branched out, and now insecure men are embarrassed by... good stretching?

Yoga was illegal in Alabama for thirty years because of it’s connection to Hinduism.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Bro if you're not squatting 500 lbs. every day what kind of lame workout are you even doing bro?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If your body feels better instead of worse after working out, then you're not loving doing it right

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i don't think it was ever the stretching that was the issue

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i don't think it was ever the stretching that was the issue

Stretch me if you can

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Barry Bluejeans posted:

did they share what some of the distinguishing features of yoga body are?

1.) newfound ability to spit flame and teleport short distances

Mainly stretching arms really far.

For real, I think it's the way your chest ends up developing in a weird skinny but toned way as opposed to big meaty titties on weightlifters (basically Kofi vs Big E; no, I'm not sure of Kofi's a yoga guy, but it wouldn't surprise me).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yoga was illegal in Alabama for thirty years because of it’s connection to Hinduism.

Not surprising. Though the only real red flag I've seen in modern yoga is that some places still do practices created by literal sex cult leader Osho.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fun fact, this ban was only overturned LAST YEAR. The ban was only for public schools though; not like yoga in general was illegal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yoga exercises are fine and good in and of themselves but I can't handle the pseudoscience and woo that permeates the entire scene. Plus there's quite a few scammers and sex pests in yoga, too. Bikram of Bikram Hot Yoga being another.

The longest I ever got into yoga was when I found an instructor who only talked about physiology and nothing about "energy" or "spirit", using words like "effort" or "focus" instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Martial arts has the same problem. Teachers give advice on nutrition and medieval Japanese history and other things they don't know much about. Some of them are deliberate charlatans, most are just passing around pseudoscience and folklore they learned from their own teacher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you don't want to deal with that side of yoga just go take flexibility classes instead. They'll torture you very nicely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Martial arts has the same problem. Teachers give advice on nutrition and medieval Japanese history and other things they don't know much about. Some of them are deliberate charlatans, most are just passing around pseudoscience and folklore they learned from their own teacher.

I've just come from watching a bunch of videos on aikido 'masters.' We're talking the ones who flip people twice their size with one hand or just sort of bounce people off their chest. Or, you know, Steven Seagal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's also true that the majority of martial arts masters are bad at the one thing they're supposedly good at. I think most yoga teachers can at least teach yoga.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

steven seagal taught anderson silva how to defeat vitor belfort, i'd watch it before calling him a fraud

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

steven seagal taught anderson silva how to defeat vitor belfort, i'd watch it before calling him a fraud

Don't stop there! He also "taught" Machida how to defeat Randy Couture!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

He also taught me how to love

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

titties posted:

He also taught me how to love

Pro tip: Don't take love lessons from a rapist

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that and you're taking lessons from the wrong source

:nms: :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYSOZc6IVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember when even The Rock holding up his hand couldn't save Roman Reigns from the boos?

Has that ever actually worked for anyone?