Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PurpleXVI posted:

Some of us don't and would like a rough chart of it at some point. :v:

I am pretty sure Cythereal is planning on taking us through the story all the way to the end of the Warcraft 3 expansion, so I would just enjoy the ride. A lot of the stuff that happens in the first Wow ark they mentioned is setup by warcraft 3.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
.... the defias are pre-wow?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

.... the defias are pre-wow?

The setup for them come at the end of War2, but yeah, they don’t show up proper until vanilla WoW.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They were an invention of wow that used warcraft 2 for their backstory

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Siegkrow posted:

"immediately" better read "A few years later"

From what I understand, it's even better read "as soon as the new narrative director thought he could get away with it."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PurpleXVI posted:

Some of us don't and would like a rough chart of it at some point. :v:

Imagine a giant scribble

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Rarity posted:

Imagine a giant scribble

... kicking you in the face... forever.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Phrosphor posted:

And then the game commits it's other favorite sin of making you watch another character deal with them rather than you the player having any involvement in this huge moment.

So you're saying WoW is MMO Pokémon Reborn? :v:

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
The lore posts are... Interesting, but I think I'd appreciate some notes regarding where/when certain bits of lore were added to get a sense of how this unfolded historically. Like did they gradually introduce planes over the course of the games/expansions, or were they all dumped into existence with the Chronicles books?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

painedforever posted:

... kicking you in the face... forever.
Imagine four giant scribbles on the edge of a cliff

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

girl dick energy posted:

Imagine four giant scribbles on the edge of a cliff

You've lost me. I was just doing a 1984 thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Terry van Feleday posted:

The lore posts are... Interesting, but I think I'd appreciate some notes regarding where/when certain bits of lore were added to get a sense of how this unfolded historically. Like did they gradually introduce planes over the course of the games/expansions, or were they all dumped into existence with the Chronicles books?

The elemental planes and the Emerald Dream were introduced in Vanilla WoW. The big Order/Titans vs. Disorder/Demons conflict also got set up quite early in WoW's life cycle. The Twisting Nether as the home of demons was introduced with the second WoW expansion (Burning Crusade) at the latest, and in the same expansion they also introduced the Naaru, the big guys for the Light. Over the course of Burning Crusade, they also showed us the Light/Shadow dichotomy, with the Shadow's big creatures, the Old Gods, dating back to WoW or arguably WC3's expansion.

We also knew about the Wild Gods for quite some time, but Chronicle was the first time it was all put together for the big cosmology chart. Which is still mostly valid to this day, and Cythereal overstates how much it has been reconned so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I will make an effort starting with the next lore post to distinguish when various major parts of the lore were established.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Torrannor posted:

The elemental planes and the Emerald Dream were introduced in Vanilla WoW. The big Order/Titans vs. Disorder/Demons conflict also got set up quite early in WoW's life cycle. The Twisting Nether as the home of demons was introduced with the second WoW expansion (Burning Crusade) at the latest, and in the same expansion they also introduced the Naaru, the big guys for the Light. Over the course of Burning Crusade, they also showed us the Light/Shadow dichotomy, with the Shadow's big creatures, the Old Gods, dating back to WoW or arguably WC3's expansion.

We also knew about the Wild Gods for quite some time, but Chronicle was the first time it was all put together for the big cosmology chart. Which is still mostly valid to this day, and Cythereal overstates how much it has been reconned so far.

The emerald dream actually goes way back to base WC3. Tyrande had to go kick her sleeping husband and his friends awake from it because the world was ending.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

The emerald dream actually goes way back to base WC3. Tyrande had to go kick her sleeping husband and his friends awake from it because the world was ending.

I think the Twisting Nether does too? Certainly there is a realm where all the demon armies come from though I'm not sure if it's named specifically that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WC3 even has in game cutscenes set in the Twisting Nether.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The Twisting Nether was mentioned in WC2. The Orcs travel to Azeroth from Draenor through it, I think.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

achtungnight posted:

The Twisting Nether was mentioned in WC2. The Orcs travel to Azeroth from Draenor through it, I think.

Yup. As I recall, it gets first named such in the WC2 manual, specifically, because it's from the perspective of someone who watches out for poo poo from the Twisting Nether trying to invade the world. All we really knew about it at the time is that it was Space Hell. Or maybe Hell Space.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have now added notations to all the lore posts describing when major lore points were added.

Don't expect me to be this detailed about it in the future, though. My aim with this LP is to make fun of Blizzard, not to provide an in-depth reckoning with and encyclopedia of Warcraft lore.

I'm putting more work into this than Blizzard deserves as it is.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 19, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The worst thing is that this is all making me want to play Warcraft 3 and TFT again but Blizzard completely hosed up those games with their "improved" edition. Dickheads.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You can still find old patch installs. I'm pretty sure it's not even :files: since you need a key to install or play I think?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alas, I am in fact one of the owners of Reforged.

The Starcraft 1 remaster was great. Surely the Warcraft 3 remaster will also be great, right?

Right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Would I be able to play the original WC3 if I still have the discs? :thunkher:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

If you can keep it from looking to battle.net for the patches I imagine so.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Rarity posted:

Yes but don't click on battle.net or it'll start patching the game to the newest version. You'll have to find the oldest non-Reforged patch yourself (or any patch in particular), patch it to that version, and enjoy some single player.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Rarity posted:

I have the discs, and yes you can, provided you have an optical drive on your computer and access to CD-keys. It installed and played without incident on my Windows 10 machine, and these were 1.00/1.06 discs. IIRC patches up to 1.27b won't cause your install to get automatically "upgraded" to Reforged, but you'll have to do some hunting to find them. Not that you have to; the initial releases are playable, but later patches do offer some quality of life features like a much wider range of screen resolutions to choose from.

EDIT regarding multiplayer options: was there still LAN support for multiplayer in WC3? It could be a possible workaround to the "no Battle.net" issue.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 19, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

disposablewords posted:

Yup. As I recall, it gets first named such in the WC2 manual, specifically, because it's from the perspective of someone who watches out for poo poo from the Twisting Nether trying to invade the world. All we really knew about it at the time is that it was Space Hell. Or maybe Hell Space.
So...the Warp?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That Italian Guy posted:

So...the Warp?

More like teleportation in Doom punching through Hell on the way to get someplace else. So, in the same broad genre even if the details are different. Though the details may not be different anymore!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That Italian Guy posted:

So...the Warp?

The void.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"I feel the Void overtaking me! ... it is a good pain!"

Nope, doesn't feel as good.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

MagusofStars posted:

FTFY, because in the past couple expansions (especially Shadowlands), Blizzard has put more and more of the important storylines in the book rather than, y'know, the game itself.

Which is one of the main reasons post WC3 lore sucks balls (almost as big as writer's great desire to do Morally Gray Characters while being inherently unable to do it well). Enjoyed that one plotline from previous expansion? Good luck, you either need to buy lovely book to find out how it ends or you will never know because plotline conclusion was a raid that is no longer available. Sucks to be you.

I really like arakkoa plotline tho, especially alternate Draenor one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Human 3: Counterpoint

Your reinforcement of Grand Hamlet was the first true divergence from the primary timeline. You push your men hard.
No harder than I push myself. Before the accident I was a Brother - well, Sister, but they never changed the name - of the Horse, and served for a time under Sir Lothar. A cautious advance is not in my nature.
Yes, which brings us to -
Isidora, we need to - Ah. I didn't realize you had already moved a mistress into the castle.
Charming, Taria. Immortal time-traveling dragons judging whether our history deserves to be permitted are not my type.
Er, what?
Taria, may I introduce Validormi, emissary of the Bronze Dragonflight here to assess the viability of our timeline or something like that. Validormi, may I introduce Dowager Queen Taria Wrynn, wife of the late King Llane Wrynn and until recently Queen of Stormwind.
She's not joking, your highness.
What fresh hell have you gotten Stormwind into now, Isidora?
I'll fill her in. Think about what happened next in the interim.
The strike on Kyross.

In Warcraft 1, King Llane is simply King Llane and there is no mention of him being married or having a son. WoW would introduce Varian Wrynn as his son, and suss out that 'Llane' was the man's first name. Varian, uh, presumably had a mother, but she was never named or identified until the movie where she was given the name Taria Wrynn and established as Sir Anduin Lothar's sister. Chronicles 2 would subsequently confirm Taria's name and identity as canon, the first official immigrant from the movie. In canon, Taria dies during the fall of Stormwind and never makes it to an evacuation ship.

If any of this sounds weirdly familiar to WoW fans, it's because Varian's own wife and mother of his son is a similar cipher. Tiffin Wrynn was eventually named in comics, and at least got a canon appearance which is more than Taria can say outside the movie.

It might also sound familiar because Warcraft, like an unfortunately many fantasy settings, has a pronounced streak of only caring about who characters' fathers are. Mothers tend to be mentioned rarely if at all, and are usually dead. In Warcraft, this tendency is compounded by almost all the missing queens and other women leaders who should be present dying by violence at young ages after bearing their husband a child or two.

As such, everything I'm writing about Taria is my own invention. Besides her relationships with male characters, she's a character who stands around in the background in the movie as far as I can tell.

I am so confused...
We'd learned an important lesson about how the Horde works. When their forward scouts and raiders go missing, their officers withdraw to consolidate and prepare a concentrated strike at the point of resistance. My instinct, which Llane agreed with, was that an immediate counterattack against one of these outposts would further throw the orcs into disarray. None of our prisoners of war had much in the way of useful intelligence, but they gave us the name 'Kyross' and a rough bearing.

Kyross doesn't even appear in Warcraft 1's map, so this is pure guesswork. The wiki thinks this is the site of modern-day Splinterspear Junction, but that just seems to come down to Splinterspear being the only Horde outpost in the region that isn't already canonically another town.

Llane consented to this attack against his better judgment. He worried that you were severely over-extending our forces.
I judged it a risk worth taking in light of the potential benefits.
Do I need to remind you what was supposed to happen to you? Your judgment of risk is questionable.
Do I need to remind you that I won in this timeline?

As attempt #4 at recording this, I already knew where everything was, including the starting gold mine. 3 peasants on gold to 1 on lumber seems to be a good balance once I've got the infrastructure up. Casters and upgrades are expensive in gold.

Orc attacks against our staging post came fast and frequently, but they were disorganized and not in sufficient force to seriously threaten us.

Once again, I find my position on this map odd. Supposedly we're advancing west to east, but on the map itself we're in the southeast corner and the orcs are in the northwest. The orcs are also a lot more aggressive in this map than the humans were in Orc 3.

I can't say that the men were pleased to encounter necrolytes in force. Except the archer corps, they loved the target practice.
I didn't realize necrolytes were so widespread in the orc armies. This speaks to a wider acceptance of arcane magic among the orcs than I would have guessed.
I don't know much about magic, but intelligence we recovered from this battle referred to the necrolytes' training grounds as a temple, which has all sorts of unpleasant implications.

By this point we'd developed a clear picture of the region. All that remained was gathering enough force to smash Kyross itself.
And in enough time to withdraw.
I'm not stupid, Taria, and I don’t relish war. This was a raid in force, not an attempt to take and hold ground so deep in orc territory.
Good.
Why are you so suspicious of me?
You're wearing my husband's crown.
Oh.

One other bit of good news about this raid, the priests of Northshire Abbey had consented to join the effort. In exchange for suitable compensation.
You could sound less cynical about the Light, Isidora.
The Light is Lordaeron's religion. I'll make the observances, but I don't trust the priests themselves.
Hold on... you're from the Steppes. You still believe in the old faith, don't you?
I'm no mage or priest. I think of it as hedging my bets.
Validormi, any insights?
Isidora's mother was Gilnean. That's a pairing bound to breed stubbornness.

I've found Kyross! It's hard to see, but there's some discoloration on the ground next to the trees marking where trees have been chopped for lumber.

Whatever my reservations, the clerics were willing to march with us and build a church in, and I quote, 'this Light-forsaken mire of evil, dark magic, and accursed insects.'

Clerics, unfortunately, do not autocast in Warcraft 1. You have to manually select the cleric - again in a game without hotkey control groups - then manually press heal, then manually select the target. This clunky UI keeps in-combat healing from being as effective as it could be, at least in my hands.

I was, I admit in retrospect, somewhat overconfident on this attack. Initial signs were promising...

But orc defenses were heavier than expected, and were particularly bolstered by a significant number of necrolytes who could further reinforce the town's defense from our own fallen.
You know, I'm glad that my interest in magic has remained strictly academic. I was offered the opportunity to apprentice with the mages when I was younger.
Why didn't you?
My schooling was busy enough as it is. And I'm bad at math.

(Seriously, this town attack was much tougher than taking Grand Hamlet in Orc 3)

Losses, while severe, were within acceptable limits.
That's callous of you.
You sit here 'rectifying' entire timelines and you call me callous for understanding that men under my command die in war?

As before, priority #1 is destroying the barracks.

The orc workers were very brave and very determined to repair their town even during our assault, I give them that.

Many orc peons died trying to repair the barracks. If the AI actually does have limited resources and needs to gather them like the player, I'm pretty sure my archers chipping down the barracks and picking off the peons as they tried to make repairs drained the orcs' gold and kept them from producing actual reinforcements.

We did take prisoners where we could. Documents and prisoners we recovered from Kyross are what lead us to identify these structures, where necrolytes train, as orc temples, among many useful discoveries. I'm told that what the men found when storming the temple was... distressing.
I believe it. Necromancy is a nasty business.

I didn't consider the town hall to be a priority target until all the unit production structures were down. Everything in this game takes long enough to make that I found it better to simply kill off the peons as they're trained.

The rest is just mopping up.

We'd never before taken a fully fledged orc town like this. The intelligence we gained from captured documents and prisoners was staggering.
I'm curious. From your perspective, what would you say was the most important discovery from this sack?
That the orcs were not a unified force. Three distinct clans were present in Azeroth: the Blackrock, the Bleeding Hollow, and the Twilight's Hammer. We had seen the different tribal markings and banners, but until Kyross we didn’t know their significance. Blackhand was warchief of the Horde, but he was also the chief of the Blackrock clan, and his authority over the others had firm limits. This was a weakness we could, and would, exploit.
To us at home, the most important discovery was that this Bleeding Hollow clan had gone south into Stranglethorn Vale and begun a conflict with the Gurubashi Empire. Llane believed that with the orcs a clear and common enemy, we might make a shared cause with the Gurubashi.
Yes. We were still consolidating after the victory when Llane's messenger arrived. The plan had always been to withdraw after razing Kyross, but this summons gave us considerably more urgency.

Canon note: Chronicles 2 established that the Horde in Warcraft 1 did indeed consist of the Blackrock under Blackhand, the Bleeding Hollow under Kilrogg Deadeye, and the Twilight’s Hammer under Cho’Gall. All three chiefs were present on Azeroth and actively involved in the war, and the Bleeding Hollow did indeed concentrate their forces south and picked a fight with the trolls.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Remember the Titans

All y'all liked The Eternals, right?

Today's subject: the Titans.

If this update seems more vague than most, it's because the Titans are an important part of Warcraft's setting and backstory, and have been the subject of more retcons, recontextualizations, and reveals than perhaps any other part of Warcraft lore.

The Titans are the souls of worlds rich in life that have taken on an existence of their own. Not every world with life has a Titan soul within, Draenor did not, but Azeroth and Argus do (well, did in Argus' case). We don't know what causes a planet to develop a soul, though it doesn't seem to be because of anything the Titans do. They seem to arise naturally, and no, we don't know whether a Titan awakening has any ill-effects on the planet itself.

Starting in Warcraft 3, it was established that the Titans had visited Azeroth once, long ago, and set order to a planet in chaos. They bound the elementals and other destructive entities, created many servant races such as the giants and earthen to shape Azeroth's surface into a hospitable world, and moved on. Until recently in World of Warcraft's development, this was posited to simply be what the Titans do: they wander the cosmos, finding and ordering planets, and moving on, but in Metzen's twilight with Blizzard, the expansion Legion established that the planet Azeroth had an infant Titan at the planet's core, and that it was the influence of this sleeping, gestating goddess (Azeroth the Titan is female) that made the races of Azeroth so uniquely powerful and able.

Only nine Titans have ever been known to exist:

Aman'Thul, the Highfather
Eonar, the Life-Binder (yes, the same title given to Alexstrasza)
Norgannon, the Lorekeeper
Golganneth, the Lord of Skies and Sea
Khaz'Goroth, the Forger of Worlds
Sargeras, the Great Defender
Aggramar, the Champion of the Pantheon
Argus, the Unmaker
Azeroth

What Warcraft 3 established has not changed. When the Titans found Azeroth, the planet and the infant Titan within had been infected by the powers of the Void. Four Old Gods, hurled into space by the Void Lords, had made planetfall on Azeroth and burrowed deeply into the planet, seeking to corrupt Azeroth's soul to the Void.

Aman'Thul reduced the number of Old Gods to three via the direct approach seen here, but the Titans realized that the Old God had reached its tendrils into the infant Azeroth and that ripping the Old God out had wounded Azeroth terribly. The Titans created a facility above the wound to salve Azeroth's injury and heal her, centered on a pool of magically charged water that held and channeled immense amounts of power. This facility would come to be known to the planet's native races as the Well of Eternity, and would go on to be an important element of future events.

In the meantime, the Titans decided that they couldn't risk doing this again. Instead, they landed on Azeroth, created numerous servant races of their own, and went to war with the servants of the Void Lords. The Titan-Forged won and imprisoned the remaining Old Gods deep beneath the earth. With the Void threat eliminated, the Titans and their servants set order to the planet and set their servants as guards for the future, in case the Old Gods ever tried to escape or other forces might threaten Azeroth. When the Titans were satisfied that all was in order, they left Azeroth to continue their wandering through the stars.

This is the primary role the Titans played for most of Warcraft's history: a mysterious, long-vanished precursor race with magic and technology far beyond any achievable in modern times and about whom little is known. Run-down Titan facilities on Azeroth with malfunctioning, corrupted, or just cranky defenders have been the site of dungeons and major quest lines since World of Warcraft launched.

The most significant of the Titan-Forged, as they're collectively known, are the Watchers and Keepers. What the distinction between them is has never been elaborated, but they served as both the Titans' generals during the invasion of Azeroth, and then their sentinels left to watch over the planet and the infant Titan afterwards. Most of the Keepers are based on real-world mythology, with the Aesir of the bunch being the most significant to Warcraft lore (that's Odyn - with a 'y' - above, who's a raging dickbag who's caused more problems for Azeroth than he's ever solved). Lesser servants included the ancestors of what would become the humans, dwarves, and gnomes. Most of this was established during Wrath of the Lich King, which presented Warcraft’s first serious dive into Titan lore – the Ulduar raid, delving deep into the corrupted Titan city where humanity was born, is considered one of WoW’s all time greatest raid experiences.

Also present were the dragons, five bloodlines empowered by the Titans: red, blue, green, black, and bronze, each charged with a different duty - I've already covered the bronze dragons.

As for other planets, we know that the orcs are also directly descended from Titan constructs, while the draenei are a question mark. We know next to nothing about the Titans and Argus the planet, and while it's plausible that the draenei are another group of Titan-forged descendants there's nothing to actually confirm or deny this theory.

I've mentioned the origins of the humans et al previously, but to reiterate, the imprisoned Old Gods managed to infect many of the Titan-Forged with a magical virus that slowly corrupted them, giving them free will while also turning stone and iron into flesh and making them smaller and weaker. From the iron vrykul came the vrykul and then humans. From the earthen came the dwarves. From the mechagnomes came the gnomes. Dwarves having a connection to the Titans was established in Warcraft 3, but humans and gnomes also being Titan-forged came with Wrath of the Lich King.

However, these transformations weren't a one way street. Azeroth had many native races of its own who were never corrupted by the void, and some of them settled around Titan facilities after the Titans departed. Just as the power of the Void could taint Titan constructs, so could the power of the Titans' celestial energies modify and mutate other races. Elves, tauren, goblins, and pandaren are but four of these Titan-altered races.

For a long time, Blizzard's writers toyed with the idea that the Titans might not be the benevolent precursors I've depicted here. As the avatars - as far as we know - of cosmic order and the arcane, World of Warcraft occasionally hinted that the Titans might be very unhappy to see Azeroth the way it is now. Two dominant races of the world were created by the Old Gods' curse, the planet's surface has been devastated twice, the Well of Eternity exploded, the Old Gods are on the rise again, and who the hell knows what else. At the climax of one storyline in Mists of Pandaria involving making common cause with a faction of an Old God servant race, the leader of that group warned players: "Your gods are not your gods."

Then Blizzard announced that that was a typo, corrected it to say "Your gods are not our gods," and then we killed off that entire faction we'd previously befriended. And then Blizzard killed off all but one of the Titans anyway two expansions later in Legion.

Meet Eonar, the last of the Titans (besides Azeroth herself). She's a damsel in distress players save in a raid in Legion. You know, I'm kind of dreading the day Azeroth herself finally gets official artwork.

Oh, there's one other Titan who's not dead. He's just evil. Sargeras seems important.

There's a reason why the Titans are almost all dead, and this guy is that reason along with Argus. I'll talk about them more in another post.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Tomb of Sargeras is a big thing in Warcraft 2. I look forward to seeing that talked about.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dead is a relative term in the warcraft universe,

How exactly dead a titan can get is a bit of a question mark

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
For all Legion was widely liked as an expansion.

Holy gently caress that final patch just hosed the lore entirely. If anything it was a preview of things to come.

In a single patch Blizzard went:

So you know those beings you've been speculating about for years?

Yeah they're all dead.

And we're going to resolve the entire plotline related to them inside a couple of months after spending the best part of 25 years building up to it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wasn't there a hint all the way back in Pandaria that all the Titans were dead? The fact that they were found alive in Legion came as a big surprise to me. (and then they got killed again)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

Wasn't there a hint all the way back in Pandaria that all the Titans were dead? The fact that they were found alive in Legion came as a big surprise to me. (and then they got killed again)

Sort of. A particular Titan-Forged race in Pandaria believed that they were dead, and thus it was their duty to 'order' (read: conquer) all of Azeroth in their name. At the time, we knew that the Titans had been gone from Azeroth for a very long time, but we also knew from Wrath of the Lich King that the Titan communications systems were still online.

achtungnight posted:

The Tomb of Sargeras is a big thing in Warcraft 2. I look forward to seeing that talked about.

Note: not actually a tomb nor is Sargeras buried there. :v:

Natural 20 posted:

For all Legion was widely liked as an expansion.

Holy gently caress that final patch just hosed the lore entirely. If anything it was a preview of things to come.

Gotta be honest, I'm in the camp that generally did not like Legion from the start. I felt it was horribly uneven in quality (just look at the loving priest class hall, hi Calia!), shoehorned in the faction war in a godawful way, and the implementation of legendaries at launch was awful.

But... yeah. What everyone was expecting to be a full expansion unto itself got shoved into a single patch with godawful writing all around (hi Alleria!).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Note: not actually a tomb nor is Sargeras buried there. :v:

WHAT?

I am not surprised but will wait to find out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

achtungnight posted:

WHAT?

I am not surprised but will wait to find out more.

To make a very long series of events short, Sargeras keeps trying to get to Azeroth but also keeps getting kicked in the dick back into the void