Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It'd be pretty funny if we met homicidal baby daddy and he had murder stars in his eyes too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

It'd be pretty funny if we met homicidal baby daddy and he had murder stars in his eyes too
Then it becomes an epiletic family tree of cycling revenge going back to (and involving reincarnations of) John Lennon, Sharon Tate, Frank Sinatra... :v:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It's kind of weak writing that Ruby had to be told by the deus ex machina child that Goro was murdered and that there was an accomplice, when Aqua was given a way to figure it out on his own.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah, unfortunately it's a consequence of not giving her a whole lot of agency or depth until now. She's been serving as a vehicle to help explore fame/idol culture (including how lovely/exploitative it can be), but as a character she really hasn't been given a lot of depth up until this moment.

Like, Aqua at this point has pretty much driven all of the romantic and dramatic plot beats, but meanwhile Ruby just hasn't even really had any sort of personal life outside of trying to revive B-Komachi.

So while this does feel completely artificial, at least it seems to be an authorial acknowledgement of the prior status quo and hopefully a spur to make her much more of a co-equal to Aqua in the underlying drama.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The story can now begin

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

https://youtu.be/YZAQBG4Qbt8

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

The story can now begin

Reminds me of Vinland Saga's "END OF PROLOGUE".

(Obviously, this means the next arc is about Ruby and Aqua working on a farm.)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Aqua is going to find their dad but have a change of heart for whatever reason, and then their dad is going to mysteriously disappear and the last panel of the manga will be Ruby with a big smile on her face and normal eyes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rubellavator posted:

Aqua is going to find their dad but have a change of heart for whatever reason, and then their dad is going to mysteriously disappear and the last panel of the manga will be Ruby with a big smile on her face and normal eyes.

I'd be all for it. No more stars in any eyes, but for very different reasons.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/81/1/

Riding the fame train

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao Akane is just speed running picking up death flags huh

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dexo posted:

Lmao Akane is just speed running picking up death flags huh

It's so blatant it has me wondering

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kana's baking soda/snitch licker meme apparently becoming a thing in-universe is classic Aka trolling :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Mem-Cho really is the unsung MVP of the series.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

She has so much work to do. Balancing all of these idiots

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I guess to be fair she is a 25 year old dealing with 16 and 17 year old children.

But yeah honestly pretty disappointed in Aqua for being so oblivious.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry, what are Akane's death flags?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nebrilos posted:

1. Being Aqua's girlfriend
2. Extremely intelligent investigator into Ai/Doc's murder
3. Vows of devotion to his revenge
4. Not being present in the prologue documentary
5. What causes Aqua's stars to reappear in #4?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also "oh we haven't seen each other in so long, I want to meet up with you, I'm only 20 days from retirement"

Like she knows that Aqua is looking past, quite honestly the most obvious option, about the story of what really happened with Himekawa and and his cheating dad and (obviously cheating too) mother.

She is probably the most informed character in the series about everything, and she didn't reveal that loophole situation to Aqua.

That is not a good position to be in in a series like this.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 26, 2022

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/82/2/

Chapter 82 we got some light hearted drama.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Look, no one's been murdered in like 70 chapters. It's probably not happening again. And the guy who did the murders is dead, so it should be fine.

Grouchio posted:

1. Being Aqua's girlfriend
I mean, if you look at the pattern of murders, the number one indicator for getting murdered seems to be "being important to Ruby", so arguably, Aqua himself is in the most danger here.

Grouchio posted:

2. Extremely intelligent investigator into Ai/Doc's murder
So is Aqua. Akane may be more intelligent than Aqua, but it's difficult to beat him in determination. He spent 3 years unlocking that cell phone, for example.

Grouchio posted:

3. Vows of devotion to his revenge
Same for Aqua.

Grouchio posted:

4. Not being present in the prologue documentary
...oh

Grouchio posted:

5. What causes Aqua's stars to reappear in #4?
What do you mean by this?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

For the latest chapter, the part with the nerds discussing why some of the members of B-Komachi look troubled is both hilarious and depressing. They can only parse things in terms of idol culture that they can't even understand that Ai and Kana are just humans and may have something else weighing on their minds.

Nebrilos posted:

One thing that stood out to me on a re-read was this part:

While it's possible that Ruby or Aqua will tell Kana what their deal is, the fact that Kana says 'genius' could also mean she's talking about Akane.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

For the latest chapter, the part with the nerds discussing why some of the members of B-Komachi look troubled is both hilarious and depressing. They can only parse things in terms of idol culture that they can't even understand that Ai and Kana are just humans and may have something else weighing on their minds.

One thing that stood out to me on a re-read was this part:

While it's possible that Ruby or Aqua will tell Kana what their deal is, the fact that Kana says 'genius' could also mean she's talking about Akane.

That's too morbid for Kana. She wouldn't say something like that if she actually believed that "Akane was murdered (stabbed?) because she was a genius". Or if she did say it, her reaction would horror at her own words, not embarrassment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1534881456048177156

Figured it was just matter of time.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hell yeah

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sweet! You never know with this kind of stuff if it'll get animated, and if so for how long. If they can get all the way to Ruby's big double black star eye moment and end it there, that seems like a natural ending point. That's got to be longer then a single cour though, so where do you expect they'll end things at the first cour?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

cool

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can’t wait for the colossal amount of marketing they put Ai front-and-center on in the leadup to it airing :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A good ending point would probably be depending on the episode count would be the love now arc, or depending on the pacing end it on the first performance of Mem, Kana and Ruby as B-Komachi at JIF.

With the stinger being Akane setting up the manga adaptation arc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wonder who will animate it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Grouchio posted:

I hope this inspires Aka to write an arc where Ruby gets hired to voice a character in an anime adaptation. just so Aka can pop off on why some anime looks amazing while some are Studio DEEN-levels of bad animation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1534926620217249793?s=20&t=-TBj947aYhPF4gljK0nTVQ

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

New Ch: https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/83/1/

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aqua is still traumatized.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Akane really can't catch a break, can she.

lol at Mem trolling on the last page.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Annointed posted:

Aqua is still traumatized.

weird, you mean finding out and thinking that your revenge target is already dead, doesn't fix like a decade of mental trauma.

Get therapy homie.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

weird, you mean finding out and thinking that your revenge target is already dead, doesn't fix like a decade of mental trauma.

Get therapy homie.

Everyone knows the only treatment for wanting revenge is either

1) Getting revenge

or

2) Farming.

If you don't kill everyone responsible, and don't farm, you're just going to keep those issues going.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/84/1/

Oh gods Aqua is getting carted and controlled by ruby. Ruby going full Yabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008