Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twerk from Home posted:

When I lived in Texas, I believed that truckers don't speed. It turns out that Texas just has high freeway speed limits, and trucks in the US actually drive 66-68 mph everywhere, regardless of the speed limit. In Texas they were doing 68mph on 70 and 75mph limit roads, in Tennessee they're doing 68mph in 55 and 60mph limits.

If you do 80 on the PA Turnpike you can have trouble keeping up with 18 wheelers sometimes.

Then you hit a hill and they drop down to like 45mph.

I have never encountered an 18 wheeler doing under 70 on the PA turnpike that wasn't terrain forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

bird with big dick posted:

Make it so your speed is limited directly by energy consumption so F-350s can go 45 mph while Tesla Model 3s can go 130 mph

FIA Formula 1 fuel burn rules for everyone!
The ghost of Soichiro would be pleased.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Change all speed camera/radar/lidar/whatever to measure average speed over a set distance, rather than instantaneous.

Everyone exceeds the limit sometimes, and that's fine, but if your average speed is over the speed limit for a mile or two, the hammer falls.

E: yes I know that means storing license plate data, but that already happens.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

EVs deal better with heat than cold. It might be slightly less convenient than a gas car but it would be perfectly doable.

The nissan leaf would like to have a word.

KillHour posted:

Truckers are going the fastest speed that the governor on their truck allows them to at all times. Time is money.

Part of it is also that the Northeast just has artificially low speed limits and you're expected to go 10 over. I've never been pulled over for doing less than 15 over on a divided, limited access highway. Those speed limits are for the winter and when it's lovely out. It's just a thing everyone knows here.

Which is usually set by the carrier, their insurance minimums, and the kinda tires they feel like springing for.
A blistering 62-68mph. In CA they are restricted to 55. Try that on fun old two lane I5. Say a friday, or a sunday. You'll get pockets of dickbags causing traffic flow problem after problem for the like 10 hours it takes to get between LA and SF.
The driver's time is not valued by the company, only the load, for the driver does not make a dime when sitting between loads or when they're out of available hours.
midwestern/northeastern roads, including the toll roads, are utter poo poo, trying to do [checks notes] 95mph in a f350 let alone a freightliner is gonna result in a bad time.
Considering I broke a F350 frame doing 60-70 across the dakotas and a few weeks later continually got airborne on PA's joke of a turnpike at like forty loving five miles per hour it amazed me that it didn't break again.

Wheeee posted:

time to get a prius and a motorcycle

Prius and bicycle. better yet: moto and bicycle.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Reading these various replies just cements the fact that the US needs far better infrastructure for alternatives to the car and that it seems nobody should actually be driving if they incapable of looking ahead to spot potential hazards.

It will never happen. cars won here. public transit is stigmatized. People drive like they push shopping carts like they screw, what isn't about them does not matter.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MeruFM posted:

i understand no one drives 300 miles in 1 go, but most evs are not 300, they're 200-270? Also realistically, you're driving until 15-20%, equivalent of fueling up at the 1-2 gallon left mark, because not all chargers work and no one drives literally until 0% to their recharge station. So it's actually 150-220ish? Minus another 10% for AC, god forbid heater. Minus another 10% because who drives literally 70mph constant with no hills.

Electric cars are still reasonable, especially since they leave home (assuming you have a house) at full (but also get an e-bike, oh wait we live in america nvm). But I definitely got antsy going anywhere over 70 miles away especially away from cities thinking I may have to find a charger before coming home.

Better charging infrastructure would help with range anxiety. For example, my 3 has a pitiful range of 200 miles in the city / 300 highway but this is a very workable issue as it's easy to refill my gas tank.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

THE FUTURE AS DESIGNED BY TECHBROS:

https://twitter.com/jtwestbro/status/1526921115804831745?s=20&t=QYzmzCr3LhqaRuZBeEtb9A

Windowless so they can fire ads at you whilst you travel places and engage with the horrors out the outside world as little as possible.

quote:

"Instead of conventional windows, passengers would view the outside world by using their VR headset to access cameras mounted on the outside of the vehicle."

The future of cars is poop from a butt. Save the manuals, you'll need them when the AI goes batshit...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So fine everyone as soon as they exceed the speed limit at any time between the cameras, since that'd bump the average over the limit, unless you then slow down under the limit enough to bring the average down?

This is how it works, yes. We have them in the UK on a stack of roads and it works quite nicely. You can always avoid those roads entirely if you don't agree with them (and I do avoid them). My gripe with them though is unless you have cruise, you're now staring intently at your speedo instead of the road which is also another good reason to avoid them.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 18, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Change all speed camera/radar/lidar/whatever to measure average speed over a set distance, rather than instantaneous.

Everyone exceeds the limit sometimes, and that's fine, but if your average speed is over the speed limit for a mile or two, the hammer falls.

E: yes I know that means storing license plate data, but that already happens.

So fine everyone as soon as they exceed the speed limit at any time between the cameras, since that'd bump the average over the limit, unless you then slow down under the limit enough to bring the average down?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

gas here is fuckin $2.30/L

time to get a prius and a motorcycle

Bicycles are infinite MPG, just add burritos. Does require living where there is some decent infrastructure for bicycles though, I feel so lucky (but i'm also hounding our local govt for actual protected bike lanes).

Add motorcycle (something like a honda cb300r gets almost 70mpg) if your lifestyle allows.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dual purpose car/coffin.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
i don't think anyone is really making a windowless car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rusty posted:

i don't think anyone is really making a windowless car.

Yeah, that's just somebody's render that they posted for clicks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I am certain that the American way of farming out speed camera enforcement to for profit companies will have no unforseen consequences.

I unironically say get rid of all highway speed limits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Considering I broke a F350 frame doing 60-70 across the dakotas and a few weeks later continually got airborne on PA's joke of a turnpike at like forty loving five miles per hour it amazed me that it didn't break again.

Username checks out.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's just somebody's render that they posted for clicks.

It also clearly has an electro-chromatic panoramic windshield. The bigger issue is that it looks like the side windows don't roll down. (Bigger issue from a "this was designed by an idiot" perspective. Apple's car, if it ever shows up, will not look like that.)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 18, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I unironically say get rid of all highway speed limits.

I'd be down for Autobahn rules if the US had the same standard of driver's education that Germany does. But driver's education in the US has been hollowed out possibly even worse than all other education.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Someone put wheels on the worst mouse apple ever designed

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bull3964 posted:

If you do 80 on the PA Turnpike you can have trouble keeping up with 18 wheelers sometimes.

Then you hit a hill and they drop down to like 45mph.

I have never encountered an 18 wheeler doing under 70 on the PA turnpike that wasn't terrain forced.

SC is super fun because no only is the surface quality reminiscent of Dresden, late February 1945--but I26 is two lanes through midland hills so you just have rolling roadblocks while semis pass each other over a 1mph speed differential for dozens of miles at a time.

Never mind that merely going 7-10 over is borderline unsafe between the giant rolling gridlocks.

Crush every speeder with a huge tickets and spend 1% of the revenues on speed limit signs so there's no loving excuse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The trip computer in your car probably records average speed as well. Give it a go and see how fast you go on average. As long as you don't stay consistently over the limit, your average speed will be below the limit. Usually a lot lower than you would expect.

Ideally, people would just drive approximately the speed limit according to their speedometers, and let that 3-5% over-read be the margin of error.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone put wheels on the worst mouse apple ever designed

Ah, so the charge port will be on the bottom.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Ah, so the charge port will be on the bottom.

You'll have to flip your car over to charge it.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Olympic Mathlete posted:

THE FUTURE AS DESIGNED BY TECHBROS:

https://twitter.com/jtwestbro/status/1526921115804831745?s=20&t=QYzmzCr3LhqaRuZBeEtb9A

Windowless so they can fire ads at you whilst you travel places and engage with the horrors out the outside world as little as possible.

This feels like somebody watched a bunch of cyberpunk movies and then completely missed the point of cyberpunk.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of the current Civic styling, and I admit it is probably a stellar car, but the Integra looks like a legitimately nice car if you think of it as a Civic SI, but just... better in all the ways that matter as a daily driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypUCG27NVE

Still. The wild 90's kid part of me wish it looked more like this:

and not so much this:

E: in 2000 I sat in a Honda Prelude-SH at NAIAS and I thought it was the most perfect car ever. I still want one 22 years later. :smith:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 19, 2022

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Truckers are going the fastest speed that the governor on their truck allows them to at all times. Time is money.

Part of it is also that the Northeast just has artificially low speed limits and you're expected to go 10 over. I've never been pulled over for doing less than 15 over on a divided, limited access highway. Those speed limits are for the winter and when it's lovely out. It's just a thing everyone knows here.

We have solved this by having separate speed limits for winter and summer. In general the main roads lower the speed limit by 20km/h, so from 120 to 100 and 100 to 80 during the winter. Also lorries are limited to 89 km/h and can do just fine in the motorways. Just stick the slower traffic on the outside lane and faster traffic can overtake on the inside. That is how it works on the Autobahn as well. Not every lane there is doing 250km/h.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

Still. The wild 90's kid part of me wish it looked more like this:

That's because what they put out (like the vast majority of what the car industry curls out into the world) is visually dull, uninspiring (sometimes pointlessly over elaborate and messy) and just plain not cool compared to virtually everything else from back in the day.

Cars are objectively better these days in virtually every single way except visually.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the worst thing that ever happened to the car industry was learning about aerodynamics

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wheeee posted:

the worst thing that ever happened to the car industry was learning about aerodynamics

That's the worst thing to happen to F1.

Safety standards (pedestrian and otherwise) are actually the worst thing that happened to the car industry.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The highway speed limit here is 130 km/h aka 80 and you can go 150 without getting into too much trouble.

I don't really spend enough time driving on highways to make a difference but if I did, I'd certainly want to be able to go around 3-4 hours at those kinds of speeds . Also consider cold and rain or slush and you really need a ton of paper range.

Even on the Autobahn I prefer around a nice 130km/h most of the time because going faster tends to be hell on fuel economy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Buying a bolt and renting something for the times you need more range would be way less expensive than buying a lucid.

This logic leads to everyone driving half ton pickups so they’ve got every possible base covered.

People say this a lot about electrics and I definitely agree in principle! Based on my past experiences renting cars, though, I absolutely cannot wait to try renting a gas car for a long trip only to find out that they've already rented the vehicle I thought I reserved and I've been upgraded to either an electric or a 6mpg 3-row SUV

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's the worst thing to happen to F1.

Safety standards (pedestrian and otherwise) are actually the worst thing that happened to the car industry.

its really weird how none of that actually applies to trucks and suvs

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Sab669 posted:

There are some long, boring, open, empty stretches of land in the US.

Some places have posted signs of 80+, I'm sure people do 10 over -- and more -- there.

I did this a little too well once driving in west Texas and got a nice $300(?) fine for it - and a warning that a few miles faster would have put me into “felony speeding” territory

which I don’t think is real, but I wasn’t in an argumentative mood

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolfs posted:

I did this a little too well once driving in west Texas and got a nice $300(?) fine for it - and a warning that a few miles faster would have put me into “felony speeding” territory

which I don’t think is real, but I wasn’t in an argumentative mood

Reckless endangerment for going 3 figures is absolutely a thing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, you really don't want to get pulled over doing 100+

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The key to never get caught doing triple digit speeds is to try it one time in a 90's Ford Taurus with horribly warped brake discs when your 18. Scariest and dumbest thing I've ever done in a car and I've been a supremely cautious driver for the last 20 years since.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mental Hospitality posted:

The key to never get caught doing triple digit speeds is to try it one time in a 90's Ford Taurus with horribly warped brake discs when your 18. Scariest and dumbest thing I've ever done in a car and I've been a supremely cautious driver for the last 20 years since.

I hit 110 or so in a 1985 MR2 once, and I resolved to never do it again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
No judge would convict for busting 100 in a yugo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I feel like there should be Plausible Deniability if the speedo tops out at 85.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LeeMajors posted:

I hit 110 or so in a 1985 MR2 once, and I resolved to never do it again.

I hit 150mph in my Dodge NEON SRT-4 and it was by far the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life. By. Far.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

skipdogg posted:

I hit 150mph in my Dodge NEON SRT-4 and it was by far the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life. By. Far.

It could’ve been 120 because of speedo wobble, but it was fast as hell and scared the poo poo out of me.

So stupid. Dumb 17yo kid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Even on the Autobahn I prefer around a nice 130km/h most of the time because going faster tends to be hell on fuel economy.

130km/h was already way too fast for the Renault Megane I leased to tour round Europe in - I think there was about a 40% difference between 110 and 130 in that car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I hit 116mph in a 1996 2.0L Jetta. I've gone faster in other cars, but that one took forever to get to "only" 116.

Kids are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm drat lucky my first car had 83hp and a 3 speed auto. I'd probably be in the ground otherwise, as noted kids are loving stupid.