Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

pointlessone posted:

There's a counter outside of "Burn them to the ground"?

If you steal from them they can't autopotion after. Scan just says something about stopping them having potions which made it click in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just has Yuna and lulu blast them with magic because I figured that was what the game was hinting with the initial protect on them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you guys hate my sphere grid choices now, just wait lmao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Akratic Method posted:

If you steal from them they can't autopotion after. Scan just says something about stopping them having potions which made it click in my brain.

Honestly, this is a bit bullshit. You stole a potion, therefore they are all out and stop using one of their stock for every turn. Something just doesn't add up there.

You should really consider using actual scan sometimes. The information you get from that is more detailed than the stuff the weapons provide.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, this is a bit bullshit. You stole a potion, therefore they are all out and stop using one of their stock for every turn. Something just doesn't add up there.

It turns out the reason we can only carry 99 doses of potion is because all our characters are loving addicts and their tolerance is through the roof so one dose for us is like fifty for a normal person.

(I think they were desperate to make Steal into a viable gimmick so that Rikku isn't just some obligatory dead weight you have to bring out for AP. Steal deals with another enemy type in a way that doesn't really make a ton of logical sense either.)

Danaru posted:

If you guys hate my sphere grid choices now, just wait lmao

I don't hate them at all. I copied your choices in my game and did just fine! Having another Steal/Use character is a great use for Kimahri, and while he won't keep up at physical power he'll still come in pretty handy going along Rikku's grid, and can easily drop off it into Yuna's stuff to pick up other spells you really want multiple casters for. And Wakka getting some Lulu spells is nice too, since he's also the one that gets Osmose.

Mainly it's that the game is balanced around assuming you'll grind a little bit, thus you're basically playing on Hard Mode since even your utter contempt for viewers isn't enough for you to make us watch walking in circles to grind random encounters, taking worthless actions to prolong battles so everyone can appear and do one thing. (Probably jinxing myself here but :shrug:). I actually think you're doing pretty well for your party's stats.

edit: :lmao: I just remembered the time you made an entire Terraria episode of walking in circles to grind random encounters, looking for whatever the hell that was. Nazar?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah I'll admit that you made Khimarri really useful. Getting such an early use of steal is impressive. Honestly, the bug error was that you didn't farm those basilisks on djose street for these petrify grenades which are honestly just straight up broken, since they will oneshot most regular enemies.

If memory serves, even these assholes who protect Seymour can be stoned.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'd say they did a pretty good job of making steal useful, if only for all the stuff you can then use. There's a chunk of the game where she's your best healer, for instance. Hell, with mix up, she's always your best option for a pinch heal. And her items have fixed damage and are guaranteed to hit which let's them take out some enemies the rest of the party struggles with, like electro marble-ing the quactars in the thunder plains.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

edit: :lmao: I just remembered the time you made an entire Terraria episode of walking in circles to grind random encounters, looking for whatever the hell that was. Nazar?

multiple! and they were still fun :buddy:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The status effect of Pain that Aeons are immune to is instant death. You really don't want to attempt to fight Anima with your people.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah I'll admit that you made Khimarri really useful. Getting such an early use of steal is impressive. Honestly, the bug error was that you didn't farm those basilisks on djose street for these petrify grenades which are honestly just straight up broken, since they will oneshot most regular enemies.

If memory serves, even these assholes who protect Seymour can be stoned.

Not only can they be stoned, there's a merchant quite a while back tnat sells a stonetouch ball for Wakka. Makes that stage of the fight really quick.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nidoking posted:

The status effect of Pain that Aeons are immune to is instant death. You really don't want to attempt to fight Anima with your people.

:staredog: oh poo poo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 30 - Seymour's loving Dead

Time to hit the fuckin drag chute and do another loving cloister of trials

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Cloister of Trials right after a really important story boss fight leading to the murder of one of the major religious leaders of the world really kills the pacing. This is my favourite game ever but that's just BAD. They just had to force the Cloister of Trials in there even when it didn't fit what was going on.

Now imagine being like 8 years old and being stuck there unable to progress the story :D

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Cloister of Trials right after a really important story boss fight leading to the murder of one of the major religious leaders of the world really kills the pacing. This is my favourite game ever but that's just BAD. They just had to force the Cloister of Trials in there even when it didn't fit what was going on.

Now imagine being like 8 years old and being stuck there unable to progress the story :D

Listen, the developers were super excited about their big event where Seymour drops all pretenses and reveals himself to be totally evil before getting his poo poo pushed in by a rookie summoner, the world's tiniest Ronso, a failed guardian, the leader of history's worst Blitzball team, an Al Bhed teenager that you can incapacitate by shaking a piece of sheet metal, a sportsball player whose first time holding a sword was about a month ago, and a single legendary badass who isn't particularly invested in anything going on.

You can't possibly expect them to delay a moment like that by making you do the cloister of trials in advance.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is also the absolute worst-designed Cloister, as the video quite clearly demonstrates. I had to use a guide to figure it out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember hating Bevelle's the worst, but man this is a close second

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Danaru posted:

I remember hating Bevelle's the worst, but man this is a close second

Bevelle's is the worst by far. You want to talk about the absolute death of pacing? Bevelle is a crash course on it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Not just a Cloister of Trials, but the Ice Sliding Block Puzzle Cloister of Trials. Because that is how professional game designers pace things!

EDIT: Oh my god I just saw the end of the video. GAME DESIGN!

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 18, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I honestly like the cloisters (except Bevelle, gently caress that) but yeah goddamn do they gently caress the story pacing to death.

And you know what? Good job winning Blitzball in the other episodes.

(also, Black Magic Sphere lets anyone get a black magic spell that at least one other person has. Dragged one person all the way up to Flare and don't feel like walking the other caster up there? Use the sphere to get it instantly! Edit: you can also turn them into Magic +20% on a weapon.)

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 18, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good job clowning on Seymore! Well done.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

(also, Black Magic Sphere lets anyone get a black magic spell that at least one other person has. Dragged one person all the way up to Flare and don't feel like walking the other caster up there? Use the sphere to get it instantly! Edit: you can also turn them into Magic +20% on a weapon.)
It's super useful on original sphere grid because Yuna is way better at magic than Lulu, but doesn't get any offensive spells for a long time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To be fair, "you have to solve the entire puzzle, then destroy your solution completely to get the reward, then solve it all again" is the actual solution to the puzzle. You just added an extra iteration of that. I have no idea why this would be the one Cloister where they let you leave and reset everything, since I don't believe it's possible to trap yourself by any sequence of moves, but it doesn't strike me as the worst design decision on display here.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

dan I just wanna say you blitzball good, I am v. bad at blitzball and hate playing it, it's nice watching someone who enjoys it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i will never say anything nice about blitzball

actually one thing: i like when you use jecht shot to bonk a bunch of dudes in the face, that's great

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Dan I would watch 50 hours of you playing blitzball even if you never tech copied.

I'd watch 1000 hours of you doing cloister puzzles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Didn't we just?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I would love to watch dan blitzball, but the game tool that away from us!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 31 - Guado Affairs

O'AKA YOU FUCKMAN

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

HAHA I never noticed O'aka took the save sphere, that's amazing.

I worry for you guys, there's a difficulty spike soon (though depending on who you ask some people say Seymour was the difficulty spike).

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 19, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, considering that boss was hitting for 1000 more HP than anyone could possibly have, I think they're already in the spike. They're pushing through it so far! Plus also they're like 10 levels higher than their current stats since Dan tries not to subject us to Sphere Grid time too often. (I secretly love Sphere Grid time and that's what made me get the game out again)

I was confused to see that Save Spheres exist diagetically. Are normal people just going around saving their games?!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

JRPGs absolutely love coming up with diegetic excuses for their save points. Some are cute and make a reasonable amount of sense ("oh, this here's a good camping spot") while others are... bugfuck insane, really. It's admittedly not just JRPGs, but that's where I've seen this weird tendency the most often.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Chrono Trigger is one of the best cuz it has a save point in like a sewer or something, and the sound of you touching it alerts enemies nearby to trigger an encounter.

Then later on there's an actual save point mimic.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Chrono Cross had a fun use of that too, where people would just go tell their problems to the glowing tetrahedron and apparently get advice from them.

I wonder if people know they can just touch the glowing ball to get to Luca for blitzball instead of taking that dumb ship? Did we just ruin the economy by upgrading them with blitzball?!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We actually made it so the other teams get instantly transported to the Luca Stadium whenever WE decide to. Eat poo poo, Ronso Fangs

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I would just like to say that Shooting Star can, in fact, get better.

Use it on something large. Like, say, the Giant Worms in the desert you'll come to eventually.

(they're a random encounter, no spoilers here)

Also, you are officially wanted criminals, basically. No bli-baww for you for a while.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm glad you've actually gotten that stupid treasure in Macalania temple. As I've alluded to earlier. The game is really rude about that and punishes you quite a bit if you miss out on that one. Guados suck. Probably one of the worst race in a game which includes Hypellos.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To be fair, the Scan text suggests that you can cure the Berserk status to reduce the yeti's strength. It may also be Blindable. Or you can ditch the Blitzball and take it on with the only approved anti-Yeti throwing weapon - a delicious custard pie.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Part of the problem is that Berserk is treated as a debuff instead of a buff, so you'd have to use Esuna on the boss to get rid of it. Which isn't immediately obvious.

Blind does work, but doesn't keep it from hitting like a truck if it does hit.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

You can also just use Auron to Threaten and Power Break him.

He hits like a truck, but there are quite a few ways to neuter him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
O'aka taking the save sphere away right in front of you was legitimately hilarious. The fact that the surprise threw you into an encounter immediately because the Guado caught up with you was the icing on the cake.

Edit: I will say that as funny as the episodes are, they kind of drive me nuts. The number of times you have someone down, and you choose to have a character throw a Phoenix Down rather than bring Yuna in to Life them. It's both a waste of the Phoenix Down and denying Yuna the experience that fight.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 20, 2022