Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Twitter being mostly bots swarming around celebrity accounts like nanite swarms has been a known problem for years, any big celebrity is probably 50%+ bots, especially now that Twitter hasn't been cool to celebrities and therefore most people since like 2014. Elon acting like he didn't know the former in a vain attempt to not look like a fool is more the story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/12/twitter-celebrities-musk/

quote:

Interviews with 17 people who represent, consult and tweet for celebrities show that Twitter is viewed as a high-risk, low-reward platform for many A-list entertainers. It’s a place where the discourse has become so politicized that many prefer not to engage personally at all, delegating tweeting duties to underlings or outside agents who post anodyne promotional messages. They have also been turned off by harassment or abuse. Instead, they’ve turned to platforms such as Instagram and TikTok, which offer slicker video tools and more-robust safety features that give users more ways of blocking out unwanted interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Twitter is a godforsaken cesspit, so that makes sense!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bots probably auto follow like the top 50 most popular accounts as an easy way to seem more human. That said this “investigation” ironically proves Musk’s point that Twitter is dead and all that’s left are bots and minor edgelords.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

Bots probably auto follow like the top 50 most popular accounts as an easy way to seem more human. That said this “investigation” ironically proves Musk’s point that Twitter is dead and all that’s left are bots and minor edgelords.

Good thing he signed off on due diligence, then. :laugh:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Apple decided to take their terrible mouse design and apply it to cars.

https://twitter.com/VRScout/status/1526668662869872640

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Taking a page from Giger's design book, I see.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I assume you have to turn it over to charge it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Antigravitas posted:

It'll come with a 1 ft cable, extensions cost $5,000. The end of the cable with fray and break within 3 months.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What possible reason could there be for not having windows?! Why would anyone agree to that?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think it's more that he's a narcissist and calculates his public speaking to gather the most possible attention. This entire Twitter saga has entirely been in service of this, it makes no other logical sense.

Which I guess is also full TRUMP, but nothing I've read from Elon indicates that he has politics that approach even Trump-level coherence.

There was probably no shortage of people in his personal orbit who told him that trying to take over something as worthless as Twitter while the country was on the verge of economic collapse was a bad idea. But what better way to attract attention?

He could also just be an absolute moron.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

What possible reason could there be for not having windows?! Why would anyone agree to that?

They expected people to laugh them out of the room when they moved all dials and controls to a touchscreen in the middle of the dash, but that didn't happen and now they're mad with power

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That picture isn't actually from Apple. A tech clickbait outlet found a years-old patent filed by Apple for VR headsets in cars, wrote a tech-fantasy article about windowless cars, and hired a design firm to make a render of a windowless car and slap an Apple logo on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

That picture isn't actually from Apple. A tech clickbait outlet found a years-old patent filed by Apple for VR headsets in cars, wrote a tech-fantasy article about windowless cars, and hired a design firm to make a render of a windowless car and slap an Apple logo on it.

That sounds exactly like something Apple would do.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

That may even be an improvement on Apple's design philosophy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

More style in that mock up than any Tesla I have ever seen. Bet the doors close properly too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you have to turn it on its side and plug the charger into a slot on the bottom of the car?

EDIT: Goddammit.

Antigravitas posted:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

If you want to be serious, there are potential weight-savings in having a pure stressed-monocoque construction without big openings.

That's not why the person who 'designed' that graphic did it though.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Of course they're against Windows, they're Apple!

This post brought to you by your dad or your uncle.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Libra posted:

Of course they're against Windows, they're Apple!

This post brought to you by your dad or your uncle.

booo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That may even be an improvement on Apple's design philosophy.

Jony Ive didn't give them two car designs to switch between every 2-3 years, they can't use their current approach.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's with you people?
Apple! Stop making screens that crack all the time
*removes windscreen*
No not like that!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This looks gross

I won't buy one unless it's glossy white with a nipple on top :colbert:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It looks like a novelty mouse.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mega Comrade posted:

It looks like a novelty mouse.

The car version of the iMac hockey puck.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:newlol:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

1000 mile range, 0-60 in 1.8 seconds …

Doesn’t use any of the standard charging plugs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It'll come with a 1 ft cable, extensions cost $5,000. The end of the cable with fray and break within 3 months.

And the only way to fix the loving thing is to take it to an Apple dealership 120 miles away, make an appointment for 5 days out, then leave the vehicle with them for 12 days.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

And the only way to fix the loving thing is to take it to an Apple dealership 120 miles away, make an appointment for 5 days out, then leave the vehicle with them for 12 days.

the car engine gets throttled to 10% of capacity via a software update to 'ensure your battery lasts' while making every other experience as slow as possible to get you to upgrade.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In some rare good news

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1527339663857373198

We grow closer every day to Musk getting banned and stealing the phones of co-workers to continue a tirade and getting them immediately banned as well. God willing the company will then fold entirely.

fake edit - this seems dangerous

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1527341324889755648

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

they throw away your entire car and give you a new one because that's the only way they know how to fix things.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dietrich posted:

they throw away your entire car and give you a new one because that's the only way they know how to fix things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEGQNkVpV8

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

1000 mile range, 0-60 in 1.8 seconds …

Doesn’t use any of the standard charging plugs.

Only comes with the 5 Watt charger/no charger included

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Only comes with the 5 Watt charger/no charger included

LOL you wouldn't get a charger. You'd have to buy a charging pad to park it on which cost $5,000, but that also wouldn't include the actual charger either.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dietrich posted:

LOL you wouldn't get a charger. You'd have to buy a charging pad to park it on which cost $5,000, but that also wouldn't include the actual charger either.

No charger; that's what the tires made of conductive materials are for.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the car engine gets throttled to 10% of capacity via a software update to 'ensure your battery lasts' while making every other experience as slow as possible to get you to upgrade.

Dietrich posted:

Ah, poo poo, your car is 4 years old? Sorry, man, but we can't install the new turn signal and braking software on this ancient piece of poo poo cause it won't run on that OS.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

No charger; that's what the tires made of conductive materials are for.

the tires can only be replaced in an Apple repair facility, and they are $2500 apiece for slow charge tires, and fast charging tires are $6000 tires. Oops, they also overheat when charging resulting in a tire fire.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This all sounds like the status quo for Tesla owners now lol

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

This all sounds like the status quo for Tesla owners now lol

Yeah, Apple very much would follow that model. All they have to do is manufacture 10000 cars and they'll be the highest valued car company in the world!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Apple will charge an additional 30% of any tolls or parking fees you pay while driving their car, even though they had jack poo poo to do with building the roads or parking garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trying to sync my Apple iCar up to my work Windows enterprise network so I can alpha grindset some emails out on my commute and the whole thing bricks and bursts into flames