Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

They should combine that site with does the dog die, then you can go pee while the dog is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish the dogs would die slower so I could have more time to pee

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

more films should have intermissions. i can't really think of many movies that don't have a point where you could stop and say "okay let's all pee so we can actually enjoy the last reel"

I really wished The Northman had an intermission. there were natural moments in the story to cut and allow the audience to absorb what they just saw.

retvrn to walking to the lobby to drink a cocktail and talk to your friends.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Famethrowa posted:

I really wished The Northman had an intermission. there were natural moments in the story to cut and allow the audience to absorb what they just saw.

retvrn to walking to the lobby to drink a cocktail and talk to your friends.

Wes Anderson tried to do this with Darjeeling Express and the theaters went "what no are you a moron we're not doing that"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Weeeell, "what no are you a moron" is a fair response to pretty much everything in Darjeeling Limited. Nice Eat Pray Love dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

I just run really fast. If you see a dude sprinting from the bathroom to the beer stand during the last witchhunter that’s me

during the last witch hunter? buddy, i'm the guy sprinting to the parking lot

:grin:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Weeeell, "what no are you a moron" is a fair response to pretty much everything in Darjeeling Limited. Nice Eat Pray Love dude.

Lol I can't believe I got the name wrong, I actually like that movie a lot

Even moreso now because Isle of Dogs, French Connection and Moonrise Kingdom fell very flat for me after what I consider a series of homeruns

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ducking love Darjeeling limited

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have brain worms of various sorts, but one that really gets me is that i really would refuse to miss even one minute of a movie to go pee unless i was going to actually die or it was a movie i didn't care at all about

like, i'm being serious when i say that the first time i missed a few minutes in a film to go pee was Fellowship of the Ring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I desperately had to go pee during the climax of TPM and literally missed Darth Maul's death scene, arguably what would have been the coolest part to preteen me

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I ducking love Darjeeling limited

I love every Wes Anderson :colbert:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The French Dispatch was a tedious parody of his early good work.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The French Dispatch was a tedious parody of his early good work.

Agreed. I'm a Wes Anderson junkie, but that was a chore to sit through.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't know that I call myself a fan but I loved Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums while largely enjoying most of his other films. The French Dispatch felt like Anderson was responding to every harsh critique of his work by showing the world what empty twee affectation really looks like.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RE: the French Dispatch, its especially frustrating because the artist/prisoner or the police/ransom vignettes (not the student one that was poo poo) could have easily been a solid structure for a film, but instead of letting them breathe and slowly build to a climax he's just rushing through quirky moment after quirky moment to try and cram everything in so nothing is landing. Sucks!

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I think I've subconsciously started rating Wes Anderson movies by their Adrien Brody performances, and the French Dispatch is A++

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

After watching a few episodes of The Closer, I've decided the chief detective is a complete villain and crime is good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Wolfsheim posted:

RE: the French Dispatch, its especially frustrating because the artist/prisoner or the police/ransom vignettes (not the student one that was poo poo) could have easily been a solid structure for a film, but instead of letting them breathe and slowly build to a climax he's just rushing through quirky moment after quirky moment to try and cram everything in so nothing is landing. Sucks!

I think the police vignette was doomed from the start. Artist in prison one definitely had potential though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Films have been made with intermissions.

Oh yeah, I get that. I went to see 2001: A Space Opera a year or two back, and they did the full intermission with an organ player popping up out of the stage, it was loving sick.

But there were usually, what, one of these a film? -- because I'm not talking intermissions here. I'm talking, specifically, about ad breaks. i.e. the things that became 25 - 33% of every televised hour on free-to-air.

Television "solved" the problem of advertising by writing episodes with rigid act structures designed to retain audiences beyond the three to whatever minutes the ad break was for -- and, now I think about it, the main structural element that would separate out a made for TV movie vs a a theatrically released one was that the former were also written around ad breaks. And it's an obviously restrictive format, leading to restrictions on pacing and set-piece design, problems surrounding audiences retaining information, narratives becoming beholden to the interests of advertisers, etc. etc. etc.

My concern is that we're moving towards a place where movies are going to be made primarily with ad breaks in mind, just like television was, because films are going to primarily be released as streaming supported by advertising i.e. that they're effectively going to inherit the same problems that ad supported television struggled with.

Like, I get that the current conversation around streaming is that "we're moving back to cable", but I suspect the long term ramifications are fundamentally worse.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The new Batman movie is three fuckin hours long. What sane person is going to sit in one spot for that long?

Bring back intermissions.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

even better, return to the 90 minute action movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man there is no way The French Dispatch is as bad as some of you have been saying :stare:

like if it really is that bad it sounds like it would be hilarious

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's fine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I genuinely think Darjeeling is his whitest most pathetic movie. Just takes the lamest parts of Bottle Rocket and has an Indian kid die and another brown lady working her job fall in love with a creepily insistent guy, just to help some self-absorbed anxious rich white dude artistes find themselves. Don't worry though there are other Indian characters, such as the boy sacrifice and the MEAN CONTROLLING BROWN BF.
it's seriously such a basic bitch movie about white dudes finding themselves through ~EASTERN SPIRITUALITY~ that only gets credit because Wes Anderson's direction and camerawork is fantastic and he has good taste in music. It's twee orientalism/colonialism in film form. Basically one of those Eat Pray Love type movies where the white lady goes to a Foreign Place and fucks/"finds herself" but for hipster white dudes. What a banal and tedious 2D representation of India too, I'm surprised they didn't ride a loving elephant and walk on hot coals. Without a doubt his worst film, completely lacking in self-awareness.

At a certain point I realized too many Wes Anderson movies were just centered around self-absorbed upperclass mostly white intelligentsia and im super tired of it. At least Grand Budapest Hotel was good.

To quote Swati Pandey, "Westerners building an image of themselves and the East by scavenging and stereotyping the East. Only this time, it’s less white man’s burden and more white man’s accessory." 

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is fine, just not as good as other Wes Anderson movies.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

After watching a few episodes of The Closer, I've decided the chief detective is a complete villain and crime is good.

I don't want to act like the show ever went ACAB, since it was a TNT procedural, but for what it's worth they kind of acknowledge that Sedgewick's character is a pretty iffy person at best and the satisfying victories in the show only come when she's unleashed on worse people. I didn't watch many of the early episodes, but by the end they have some plot points in play to that effect.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im just tired of films about white people going to a FOREIGN LAND and those around them only exist as thin stereotypes or accessories, a backdrop. Eastern men tend to be emasculated or portrayed as controlling/more tyrannical in these stereotypical films while eastern women are overly sexualized. The only two really significant Indian characters in Darjeeling are both of those stereotypes!!!

I guess it's freshly obnoxious for me since I just saw it recently for the first time on Starz. Also saw Bottle Rocket on there for the first time, tho I actually liked that a fair bit, less obnoxious.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My favorite part of Darjeeling Limited is the ending where they have to run to catch up with the train, so they leave their baggage behind. Do you get it? Get it?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im just tired of films about white people going to a FOREIGN LAND and those around them only exist as thin stereotypes or accessories, a backdrop. Eastern men tend to be emasculated or portrayed as controlling/more tyrannical in these stereotypical films while eastern women are overly sexualized. The only two really significant Indian characters in Darjeeling are both of those stereotypes!!!

I guess it's freshly obnoxious for me since I just saw it recently for the first time on Starz. Also saw Bottle Rocket on there for the first time, tho I actually liked that a fair bit, less obnoxious.

Ehhhhh like 90% of Wes Anderson movies are 'rich white people are depressed but it's funny' so I feel like that's an unfair rap since that one just happens to also take place in India

Though Grand Budapest Hotel is one of his best and is specially not about that so :shrug:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What was the one about the cub scouts I liked that one

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Possum Kingdom

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector Hound posted:

The last two seasons are pretty much entirely about how her history of being terrible lands her in extremely hot water.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

pospysyl posted:

My favorite part of Darjeeling Limited is the ending where they have to run to catch up with the train, so they leave their baggage behind. Do you get it? Get it?

Yeah it's called a metaphor, happens quite a bit in movies.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moonrise Kingdom

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Another 2d white guy shoegaze movie I enjoy is the bill Murray in Japan one. Although it’s funny seeing scarlet Johansson in anything now that my goofy rear end British friend told me the story of having dinner at her house and he basically didn’t know who Colin jost was and thought he was a wanker or something and was really confused why they were together before spilling wine all over scarlet at the table

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Another good bill Murray movie is broken flowers. The soundtrack is sweet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did you watch the Seth green movie about finding himself in Thailand

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No but that sounds insufferable

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah it's called a metaphor, happens quite a bit in movies.

His point is that it's a terrible, screenwriting 101 freshman kind of metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

My favorite bill murray movie that I am literally a more annoying person for liking is Coffee & Cigarettes