Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ziatora is my big boss monster, and I just put in cards I thought worked well with that. If I want to make the game good I gotta figure out a more specific wincon and go for that instead of just Riveteers flavor.

But I do love a themed deck haha.

Edit: Maybe I should make it a commander deck since I have a lot 1 copies.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone got opinions on mardu vs esper greasefang in explorer? Playing the mardu version atm and boy, the games you can't draw her or parhelion feel real bad

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Anyone got opinions on mardu vs esper greasefang in explorer? Playing the mardu version atm and boy, the games you can't draw her or parhelion feel real bad

Mardu gets to run fable of the mirror breaker, which does a ton for the deck.

What does esper greasefang look like in explorer?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It gets to run blue digging, so Faithful Mending, Tainted Indulgence, Otherworldly Gaze.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

esper greasefang also gets to run a lot of the good Planeswalkers. you can even be essentially an esper control deck with the greasefang package as a back up plan

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the best/most powerful card spoiled from CLB so far? I feel like everything has been pretty underwhelming. Hopefully we get something Jeweled Lotus tier soon.

EDIT: Oh, the white WGD guy is cool.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

What's the best/most powerful card spoiled from CLB so far? I feel like everything has been pretty underwhelming. Hopefully we get something Jeweled Lotus tier soon.

the gate that makes all gates come into play untapped and taps for any color your gates can produce. Bring back the gates decks

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kashuno posted:

the gate that makes all gates come into play untapped and taps for any color your gates can produce. Bring back the gates decks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gate coffers is powerful, but so far nothing eternally playable

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

People talked poo poo about FIRE design but Spoiler season is way more fun when the cards are good lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

yeah definitely get some proxies going, that way when you do find a deck you like you can buy the cards you want straight up instead of wasting time and money buying cards you won't use later like I did when I first started X(

Honestly that's just a rite of passage

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

People talked poo poo about FIRE design but Spoiler season is way more fun when the cards are good lol

Do you get much of that in an eternal set? It's far easier to have good cards when you're compared only to what's in standard, as opposed to this commander set where the cards are being compared against every card ever printed (except Sylvan Primordial, which is too good).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Do you get much of that in an eternal set? It's far easier to have good cards when you're compared only to what's in standard, as opposed to this commander set where the cards are being compared against every card ever printed (except Sylvan Primordial, which is too good).

I wasn't even playing Commander at the time but I thought the spoiler season for the first Commander Legends was way more exciting than this. More partners, good reprints and lots of powerful cards.

There's still a chunk to go so maybe they're saving all the dynamite stuff for last, but a lot of these cards feel very Strixhaven-y to me. Way too much text for medium effects.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lone Goat posted:

Modern Horizons are eternal sets...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Getting this in the mailbox sure made me feel some kind of way about TCGplayer sending stuff in PWEs without even a toploader. This one was fine but it seems like a penny wise pound foolish way to package $25+ orders.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlbear Camus posted:

Getting this in the mailbox sure made me feel some kind of way about TCGplayer sending stuff in PWEs without even a toploader. This one was fine but it seems like a penny wise pound foolish way to package $25+ orders.

Did it not include the thick cardboard insert in one of their seemingly custom made letter sized sleeves?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a 300+ dollar order of a bunch of cards that they put in one of those pouches with the adhesive flap that penny sleeves come in, then put in a bubble mailer, and that's it

The last time I ordered from there for like 3 cards it had some cardboard protectors, but not anymore I guess

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kashuno posted:

bring in all the gates baby, one of my favorite decks ever was gates+door to nothingness

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

A big flaming stink posted:

The dudeskis over at the dive down seemed to Luke mardu's removal/looting over the benefits of the esper version but as drewjitsu said between that and fable the mardu version just seems to have an easier time doing its thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

The strict upgrade to sphere of the suns?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The strict upgrade to sphere of the suns?

Can’t vial in an Ouphe in response to activating SOS!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just got my first MTGO trophy ever with modern burn :hellyeah:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just got my first MTGO trophy ever with modern burn :hellyeah:

:nice

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

I am seeing several background guys and backgrounds that care about having the initiative or completing dungeons.

I am not seeing any background guys or backgrounds that can take the initiative or venture into the dungeon.

This does not bode well.

I've been thinking about this a while and I think they probably don't want "take the initiative" on a repeatable effect to encourage taking it in combat

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I've been thinking about this a while and I think they probably don't want "take the initiative" on a repeatable effect to encourage taking it in combat

It's that none of them can start it at all and thus rely on what few initiative cards exist, for commander, a 100-card singleton format.

Ominous.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

fadam posted:

So far there's nothing even close to being on the level of Jeweled Lotus. The best cards are capping out at medium-ish power so far. I think there's still a few to go, so who knows. I guess they are all out? Meh. no, still ongoing.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 20, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
According to mythic spoiler we're not halfway through. :confused:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's that none of them can start it at all and thus rely on what few initiative cards exist, for commander, a 100-card singleton format.

Ominous.

Don’t you get the Initiative when one of your creatures damages your opponent?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Don’t you get the Initiative when one of your creatures damages your opponent?

Only if the opponent had the initiative.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only if the opponent had the initiative.

drat that sucks.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

The dudeskis over at the dive down seemed to Luke mardu's removal/looting over the benefits of the esper version but as drewjitsu said between that and fable the mardu version just seems to have an easier time doing its thing.

I'm playing mardu greasefang in Explorer. Blood feels very good, and exactly in line with what the deck should be doing. The Esper version seems more like a control deck with this combo kill if they need it. :shrug:

I like the mardu version. I'll try out the esper version tomorrow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ok, so I'm gonna turn my janky Ziatora deck into a Ziatora Commander deck. That way me not having enough copies of stuff won't be a problem.

In the same vein, how hard is it to transform the Kamigawa Vehicle precon into a Greasefang Commander deck? You gotta replace the blue cards with black ones, but there's already a ton of OP vehicles like Parhelion in it so it's a good start.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have received two cards in the post without any sleeve or packaging whatsoever in the last few years.

One was recently, a chromatic orrery in a pwe and literally nothing else.

A few years ago a received a naked card in a jiffy bag (aka bubble mailer).

It was a scalding tarn expedition. The original one from bfz.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
To my memory I've never received a card that wasn't protected in some form when sent in PWE. They've been typically shipped in toploaders or for larger orders, in a pouch fastened firmly to a piece of thicker cardboard.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Once I learned the big plastic shells were called Toploaders, I've never sent a card without one.

It's worth 50cents for the peace of mind to know I'm blameless if it gets munched on by a machine.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I keep a bunch of toploaders for when I want to send cards but I still regret the last card I traded away which was a fourth edition force of nature back in 1995 so I don't think I'll be using them any time soon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Looking through mtggoldfish, I can almost make this deck with my Ziatora cards: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4804990#paper

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I just ordered some of the larger art Snow-Covered Islands from Modern Horizons from the same seller on TCGPlayer. They came in a perfect fit sleeve in a top loader, which was nice.

Three were definitely the near mint they were labeled as, but the fourth came kinda grimy and with some scuffs and indents in the card on front and rear. I asked to exchange the card, but they don't have any more in stock. Instead they refunded me the difference between moderately played and near mint. I got $1.31 back on a card I paid $1.20 for. I feel kinda bad...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ominous.

It's a draft set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oghma's Archivist 1W
Creature - Halfling Cleric
Flash
Whenever an opponent searches their library, you gain 1 life and draw a card.
2/2
"Knowledge is the greatest tool of the mortal mind and surpasses anything made by mortal hands. Before anything exists, the idea must exist"

Well now.