Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

Classic Nancy 1947

lol

A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, in which this just has to be a dream sequence.

Skippy (August 14, 1934)

Peanuts (May 22, 1975)

Oldy Olderfart

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 19, 1938)

Out Our Way (November 14-16, 1938)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

'CUZ THIS IS MY UNITED STATES OF WHATEVER

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Were Alvin and the chipmunks ever hip? I assumed it was all forced via marketing and grandmothers trying to get an age appropriate present for their grandchildren and oh those darling squirrels are just so funny

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

That's, uh, sinister

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Calaveron posted:

Were Alvin and the chipmunks ever hip? I assumed it was all forced via marketing and grandmothers trying to get an age appropriate present for their grandchildren and oh those darling squirrels are just so funny

Novelty records were a big market when Dave Seville got started, but Funky is picking an intentionally low bar for his spectrum, although Alvin's single with Canned Heat was an unexpected surprise in their discography.

This week is just an excuse for sweaty wordplay, but I'd be mildly shocked if Saturday's payoff was the realization that aging out of the money demo means that you're not required to pay attention to media product targeted at teens and twenties.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Chipmunks Sludgefest Unironically Rules. Anyway Baby Bite A Titty Or Something.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

The Spring Special has concluded. I hope you enjoyed it! A further instalment is planned, possibly featuring the return of red hot new character GLEMM.

At the time of writing (mid-March), my professional duties over the next few months have not fully crystallised, so I’m not sure what’s coming next. Hopefully by May 19th, I’ll know, and this sentence will have been rewritten. But there’s always the chance that I will have forgotten to do it. Or drifted into an almighty unknowingness so nebulous that answers remain forever out of reach.

So that wraps up this part of the Solver storyline. According to the Bad Machinery website the Solver Autumn Special will start on June 13th. In the meantime Allison will be running another Steeple story on that website, which I'll post here.

What are the thread's thoughts on this story? True not much happened and it's mostly set-up, but these short comics Allison has been putting out are only twenty-something pages, and thus only about a quarter of the length of a Bad Machinery case. I always find it fun seeing what Lottie is up to, and Allison has been writing with these characters for a long time and knows what makes them tick. That said the thing I dislike most is probably the title, Solver, it feels a little to on-the-nose compared to Allison's other works. Imagine if he had called Bad Machinery something like Mystery Kids.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The_Other posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on this story? True not much happened and it's mostly set-up, but these short comics Allison has been putting out are only twenty-something pages, and thus only about a quarter of the length of a Bad Machinery case. I always find it fun seeing what Lottie is up to, and Allison has been writing with these characters for a long time and knows what makes them tick. That said the thing I dislike most is probably the title, Solver, it feels a little to on-the-nose compared to Allison's other works. Imagine if he had called Bad Machinery something like Mystery Kids.
I liked it, but yeah it definitely feels like more of an introduction/setup than a real story. I'm not disappointed though. I enjoy the characters in these stories as much as the stories themselves.

Not that Allison doesn't need to write plots, just every once in a while a short little thing like this is fine by me.

F Minus

Ah, the Ricardos.

Mark Trail

So one day he went surfing and now he can only survive on seafood? Seems there was a bigger part of this origin story that Jules didn't address.

Mary Worth

We haven't even gotten to Mary's victory lap.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

This guy's a real dick.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

head on over to the estranged parents thread for a bunch of stories about "oh my child is my best friend, haha!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Motherfucker, hip hop has been in the mainstream since at least 1990. That's 32 loving years ago. It's about 25 years too late for a "well gawrsh shucks I don't know about the hippities and hoppities these darn kids these days are listening to" storyline.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Supposed saviors were only after savings(32/1937)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Monya the Grey

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

love the panels of Monya crushing the heart so bad it melts

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Uncle Happy

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You can't go wrong with the classics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Weembles posted:

Forget the horse - where's Into's little hat? That's my favorite part of the strip.
Good news!
Into Ilves

Into's hat is typical for Ostrobothnian folk costumes. His sweater somewhat resembles Jussipaita which is an iconic design from the same area. The comic has probably taken inspiration from film Pohjalaisia ("Ostrobothnians") which was released in 1925 (silent, pictured below) and 1936 (talkie).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 19, 2022

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There has to be a pun here.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Monya's gonna be alright and reincarnate as a new girl in Dorothy's world, right? RIGHT? SHE'S JUST TAKING A NAP, BECAUSE BEING GREAT WIZARD IS STRENUOUS, RIGHT?! :ohdear:

Jucika "226 - Jucika In Szeged"

"Ünnepi Játékok: Festival
János Vitéz: John The Valiant, a Hungarian poem
Minden Jegy Elkelt: Sold-out Show"

"227 - Jucika And The Heat Wave"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

goatface posted:

The children assaulted that man with a baseball bat to the head.

And then they stole his hat!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

Paradox solved I guess. gently caress that paradox.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Green Intern posted:

Paradox solved I guess. gently caress that paradox.
This particular story beat does have a bit of "Q-Rais didn't want to worry about it too much" energy. "What if a paradox breaks the universe?" -> "I'll just power through it!" -> She does :shrug:

But after all, that's the point, I guess - the power of love and all that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

if this story doesn't end with monya and dorothy reuniting i am going to drop dead instantly

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Circumstances kept me away from Blondie and Toonerville tonight.

Our Boarding House makes room for a mystery guest on the way. (January 23-25, 1922)

Dok's "Kick A Man When He's Almost Out The Door" Duck (February 24, 1914)

If you're wondering about the importance of this new stranger, remember that Dok Hager's strip was at the bottom of the front page, and there's a clue taking up the entire top half of the front page.

This is the headline of an editorial signed by Alden J. Blethen, owner and editor of the Seattle Times. It hammers home a few points:
  • Hiram Gill basically exposed his vote ceiling during the primary, so he's certain to lose to J.D. Trenholme in the election (which was literally one week away).
  • Even if Gill doesn't lose, the 1914 Seattle race has ended up with two candidates that aren't that far apart except in personality.
  • Anyway, neither one of them could be worse than the "vacillating, spineless" outgoing incumbent, George F. Cotterill.
  • In that spirit, the Times has decided to not sling any mud. Except at a guy who isn't even on the ballot.

So yes, at this time next week, regardless of who wins, everything's gonna be awesome! Because consider the alternative...

Little Lefty (August 27-30, 1936)

Banker and The Butler

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 20, 2022

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 22, 1919

And He Did! June 2, 1919

Cat Tales May 4, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 30, 1936

Mopsy January 8, 1938

Up Front April 26, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 21, 1952

I was unaware, but 1952 was a big year for chlorophyll.
https://tedium.co/2019/01/15/1950s-chlorophyll-fad-history/

Gotta love a cigarette display featuring a caduceus.

Those Were the Days August 25, 1960

Wee Pals July 23, 1966

Dogbert April 24, 1967

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

More involved that she wants? I thought she was looking for "the one"?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's delayed Blueberry (Sorry again!): Blueberry gets a quest, or O'Bannion is not the only person to have survived scalping - it in of itself , while quite disfiguring, is not a fatal injury - please see the following :nms: picture for evidence, or Oh God, it's just like Archie and Bettie and Veronica...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Presto posted:

More involved that she wants? I thought she was looking for "the one"?

They aren't even that involved. Making out is the entirety of their relationship. There's a sex contract, but even that's just about all the ways they get to punish each other if they make out too much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Waitresses and the Jungle Patrol, oh my God that is an acid flashback.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They even made a monkey out of old King Konk

Bernice is a hoor

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 27-28, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes ()

I don't know why you're bitching. I'd love it if my kid did weird poo poo like this.

No Blind Alley today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse