Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Last August the SEC was saying that it needed congressional approval to regulate crypto. My impression is that they've wanted to act in that space for a long time but some of the rules were outdated and holding them back.

Excerpt from the article:

CNBC posted:

Certain rules related to crypto assets are well settled. The test to determine whether a crypto asset is a security is clear,” he said. “There are some gaps in this space, though: We need additional congressional authorities to prevent transactions, products and platforms from falling between regulatory cracks. We also need more resources to protect investors in this growing and volatile sector.”

Gensler, who previously taught classes about blockchain and other financial technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has asked lawmakers to grant his agency the legal authority to oversee crypto exchanges.

He said many of the crypto coins were trading like assets and should fall under the purview of the SEC, which already has significant authority over digital assets.
In other words: the head of the SEC has acknowledged that existing laws give them clear authority over a whole lot of cryptocurrency poo poo. What he asked for is additional resources to do the job they're already authorized to do, and some additional authority over specific things like cryptocurrency exchanges. (Even on that last point, I think he's stalling and deflecting. If you acknowledge that most crypto assets are securities and therefore under your jurisdiction, that implies that any company that facilitates their exchange in a public marketplace is also under your jurisdiction. "SEC" stands for Securities and Exchange Commission, for fucks sake.)

So if the head of the SEC is publicly claiming that most crypto bullshit already falls under his jurisdiction, why aren't we seeing much action from the SEC a year and a half into his tenure?

Shame Boy posted:

[he] took a long hard look at it, saw it was incredibly stupid and horrible but had a bunch of Real Actual Rich People Money in it now, and went "hooo boy... uh..." and chucked it over the fence to congress so they didn't have to deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

bort posted:

People called Romanes they go the house?
:hmmyes::right:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

divabot posted:

they reinvented the Pirate Pass Through

okay, so i wasn't misremembering that, pirateat40 lost all his investment funds on a more traditional ponzi, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kliras posted:

the sec is going through some stuff rn tbf

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1527009488301170688
the jarkesy decision is a wild ride even for something from the 5th circuit

like their argument is that in the past common law courts have decided fraud cases so the sec can't take any actions involving fraud because that's a violation of the 7a rights of anyone sanctioned. like they do the typical looney toon reactionary court thing (like alito in the roe thing) that no, no this doesn't affect anything else, but the legal theory it presents basically rules virtually all government actions unconstitutional if they don't get 12 guys on a article 3 jury to agree to it beforehand

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Blotto_Otter posted:

So if the head of the SEC is publicly claiming that most crypto bullshit already falls under his jurisdiction, why aren't we seeing much action from the SEC a year and a half into his tenure?

The nominally Democratic mayor of NYC is shilling cryptocurrency bullshit on a daily basis, and by all accounts has a great and friendly relationship with Biden. Plus there's Superbowl levels of money invested in this scam now. California VC tech money. Important donors money.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SubG posted:

like their argument is that in the past common law courts have decided fraud cases so the sec can't take any actions involving fraud because that's a violation of the 7a rights of anyone sanctioned. like they do the typical looney toon reactionary court thing (like alito in the roe thing) that no, no this doesn't affect anything else, but the legal theory it presents basically rules virtually all government actions unconstitutional if they don't get 12 guys on a article 3 jury to agree to it beforehand

yeah that was my takeaway too. i think my reply in the other thread was just "what" because, well, like you pointed out, they basically invalidate any function of modern government. of course, that's the goal, but it's still insane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mrmcd posted:

The nominally Democratic mayor of NYC is shilling cryptocurrency bullshit on a daily basis, and by all accounts has a great and friendly relationship with Biden. Plus there's Superbowl levels of money invested in this scam now. California VC tech money. Important donors money.

partyman cryptomayor is horrible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubG posted:

the conservative legal movement would be fine with overturning chevron and returning to the lochner era but the smart ones would like to do it gradually

these are not the smart ones

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

haveblue posted:

the conservative legal movement would be fine with overturning chevron and returning to the lochner era but the smart ones would like to do it gradually

these are not the smart ones

In law school I liked to troll pro lochner fed soc types with "at least under Lochner right to work laws would be unconstitutional violations of unions and corporations freedom to contract"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

dismantling the administrative state is a conservative wetdream because you can't have things like "regulations" and "rules" if everything has to be an act of loving congress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

loving Congress? I think Barney Frank was responsible for that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kw0134 posted:

dismantling the administrative state is a conservative wetdream because you can't have things like "regulations" and "rules" if everything has to be an act of loving congress.

act of congress? i think you'll find the original text of the constitution quite clearly limits their statutory authority :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
how does it limit it? well, look, it just does, okay? i have a time machine and have spoken to the writers themselves. i am sure this is what they meant, which is all that matters.

also, god said so.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The reverence given to the US constitution as drafted by stinky white guys with slaves and bad teeth 200+ years ago is about the only thing stupider than an immutable blockchain.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shumagorath posted:

The reverence given to the US constitution as drafted by stinky white guys with slaves and bad teeth 200+ years ago is about the only thing stupider than an immutable blockchain.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shumagorath posted:

fun fact: because of this reverence slavery is in fact not outlawed in many states if you happen to be incarcerated

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

fun fact: because of this reverence slavery is in fact not outlawed in many states if you happen to be incarcerated
before i decide if this is good or bad, which state is Ross in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

before i decide if this is good or bad, which state is Ross in

denial

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:golfclap:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGBaXPlri8&t=20s

all my apes are dead
all my apes are dead
running in the red
running in the red

apes are not enough
i need cryptopunks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

act of congress? i think you'll find the original text of the constitution quite clearly limits their statutory authority :colbert:

I saw the words "Congress shall make no law" and stopped reading, now I'm a sovereign citizen

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1527625500620902401

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

"humans horrified"

I'd be laughing my rear end off and cheering them on

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bartsimsonreal/status/1527342286992211971

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
pseudorandom. it's not even the real uncut primo poo poo, it's off-brand knockoff discount bargain bin random numbers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"humans horrified"

I got trolled by a lion at the DC zoo once

I was walking near the big cat area when I heard a weird sound. the lion was standing up on a hill and roaring. everyone nearby was drawn over to see if it was going to do anything cool

the lion stops roaring, looks around at the huge expectant crowd gathered around it, sits down, and starts licking his nuts

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Truly a king

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"humans horrified"

lol, the sapients at the bronx zoo are little bastards anyway. i posted some pics i took in the YCIAPOS thread in between them throwing rocks and probably actual poo poo at the glass

i'd be pretty pissed if i were gawked at in a zoo, too, tbf

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
pretty sure i saw the baboons in that zoo giving fellatio, how is this news

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
digital monkeys? humbug. a pox on them, i say, a pox on the digital monkeys

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
speaking of animals, it looks like bitcoin is having a cow today

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-05-19/crypto-platform-hack-rocks-blockchain-community posted:

On Oct. 14, in a house near Leeds, England, Laurence Day was sitting down to a dinner of fish and chips on his couch when his phone buzzed. The text was from a colleague who worked with him on Indexed Finance, a cryptocurrency platform that creates tokens representing baskets of other tokens -- like an index fund, but on the blockchain. The colleague had sent over a screenshot showing a recent trade, followed by a question mark. "If you didn't know what you were looking at, you might say, 'Nice-looking trade,'" Day says. But he knew enough to be alarmed: A user had bought up certain tokens at drastically deflated values, which shouldn't have been possible. Something was very wrong. Day jumped up, spilling his food on the floor, and ran into his bedroom to call Dillon Kellar, a co-founder of Indexed. Kellar was sitting in his mom's living room six time zones away near Austin, disassembling a DVD player so he could salvage one of its lasers. He picked up the phone to hear a breathless Day explaining that the platform had been attacked. "All I said was, 'What?'" Kellar recalls.

what's the deal with these bit people and salvaging old electronics

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bluecobra posted:

what's the deal with these bit people and salvaging old electronics

eh, that is still the most healthy activity described in that snippet

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"On Oct. 14, in a house near Leeds, England, Laurence Day was sitting down to a dinner of fish and chips on his couch when his phone buzzed."

what a depressing sentence. this is like the opposite of "cellar door"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

quote:

Some called out his use of racist language and tropes: The Ethereum address Medjedovic used for the attack included the number “1488”—shorthand for a neo-Nazi slogan—and he’d written the N-word into the code itself, 16 times. A Twitter user called him the “Dylan [sic] Roof of Balancer Pools,” a reference to the mass shooter who killed nine Black people at a church in Charleston, S.C., in 2015. Medjedovic liked the tweet.

why can't any of the smart contract hackers be cool dudes I can look up to
they all have to be brainwormed 4channers

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1527779601652539393
I will admit I misread "serum"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for sale: bored ape, never slurped

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Multiple mutant serums per ape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

for sale: bored ape, never slurped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A lot of us just don’t get it.