Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
David Correos, Guy Montgomery, and Urzila Carlson would all be in my running for top 10 taskmaster contestants of all time. Urzila's unrelenting annoyance at Paul (the taskmaster's assistant for NZ) was always great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Still made that "Box Paul" didn't come up as a task

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

It took a couple of episodes to fully warm up to NZ series 1, but Angella Dravid deserves special mention for being master of the prize task across all versions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Angella's story is pretty wild.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/96548880/comedian-angella-dravid-talks-prison-life-and-how-she-makes-her-fear-funny

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sophie's prize task

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the recommendation, just watched NZ taskmaster series 2 ep 1, and it was great. Loved Urzila too. Thick Afrikaner accent, but also weirdly NZ too. Just read an article about her, she seems pretty nice. Is her netflix comedy special avaiable in the USA?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

When she brings the bra her mum sent to the bail hostel as a prize

- Why did your mum send you a bra?
- I guess she thought "my daughter needs...support"

Just so good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Poor Bridget, she just can't catch a break from Greg. Even after winning a task, she still gets humiliated time after time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Best or Worst Live Task ever.

This series is in the running with NZ Series 2 and UK Series 7 for my favorite series ever.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 20, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When they did the tie break, I was hoping Alex was going to, jokingly or not, say that the tie break was going to be a surprise live tie break that was also guessing someone's name.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Top 10 episode, if not top 5.

Sausage cement mixer, Bridget forgetting how to walk, etc...

And in the final task, I'm guessing Quentin didn't answer Judi's question right away because he couldn't tell if Quantum was just his name slurred.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great podcast ep where bridget does not seem to understand how to respond to ed saying hello

final task was genuinely one of the worst performances ever lol, you can see just how frazzled they all are, it was great

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The ten second thing probably got them too in their own heads, but 70+ questions and not guessing Quentin as soon as you find out its Q are unforgivable. Hilarious task.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

The ten second thing probably got them too in their own heads, but 70+ questions and not guessing Quentin as soon as you find out its Q are unforgivable. Hilarious task.

yeah it's absolutely a "this is the very end of a shooting day and they're all fried" thing

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bridget genuinely not understanding how a pedometer works and walking like that was a top TM moment for me.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I teared up laughing like three times this episode. Holy hell it was so good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Some things have yet to be forgiven.

https://twitter.com/guy_mont/status/1527239172410712064

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Great episode indeed, even though I didn't even like all the tasks. I thought both the pedometer task and the meeting task were pretty bad, but their combined ineptitude (how were only 2/5 able to match the knowledge of 'pedometer' and 'walking'???) with studio reactions saved the former. Prize task and cement mixer tasks were great though. Generally I feel like the cast do very well in the studio.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Bridget starting to protest before a moment of self reflection was such an amazing moment.

I love that this was MOST true for one moment, but that there were so many moments like this. Also, I just adore Judy.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ardell choking, mounting, and waterboarding the mannequin is one of the funniest purposeful things anyone has done on the show in a very long time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Insurrectionist posted:

Great episode indeed, even though I didn't even like all the tasks. I thought both the pedometer task and the meeting task were pretty bad, but their combined ineptitude (how were only 2/5 able to match the knowledge of 'pedometer' and 'walking'???) with studio reactions saved the former. Prize task and cement mixer tasks were great though. Generally I feel like the cast do very well in the studio.
I disagree. The pedometer one was the simple setup sort that often turns up the unexpected. The meeting task would have been glorious with Bob or Sally.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

It almost felt like they were letting Sophie have it since she was obviously the only one actually trying to get information from him, but I think by that point she was just the only one firing on any cylinders

Absolutely fantastic episode. So many moments that would have been the highlight of any other episode.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Chris' response to the cement mixer task was probably the hardest I've laughed in months. It would have been a funny scene even if the thing had rotated slowly but it was made twenty times funnier by the fact that it was clearly right on the edge of being dangerous and was scaring the hell out of both of them.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Trig Discipline posted:

Chris' response to the cement mixer task was probably the hardest I've laughed in months. It would have been a funny scene even if the thing had rotated slowly but it was made twenty times funnier by the fact that it was clearly right on the edge of being dangerous and was scaring the hell out of both of them.

Gotta say, I think that Alex was going for it a lot more that Chris - but he's always given his all for the show. Can't understand how the moment where Ardal's attempt crossed the line from hairdressing to full-blown water torture went unremarked on in the studio. Maybe cut for time?

Weird international tidbit: the tie-break task was also featured in the latest season of Swedish taskmaster (as a regular task because they don't do tie-breaks). Obviously must have been filmed simultaneously, but the Swedish version made it to air just a few weeks ahead of the UK here. Very glad for Sophie that she got the win here, it's been a while coming - seventy five questions in fact...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah that's the best episode in years, easily. The meeting task was one of those tasks that's a brilliant idea in theory but ended up being rubbish in practice - but it was still a fantastic episode regardless.

As soon as he hesitated on Quantum I silently shouted Quentin. Can't believe none of them got that.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

To the extent everyone is sort of associated in posterity with one specific task (Joe and the potato, Liza and the cake, etc.) I feel like the sausage catch might well be Chris's.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Leatherhead posted:

To the extent everyone is sort of associated in posterity with one specific task (Joe and the potato, Liza and the cake, etc.) I feel like the sausage catch might well be Chris's.

NO WEH!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Ardal's cement mixer torture made Horne break character more than in any other task.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Ardal drowning a mannequin in a cement mixer like a scene from a low budget horror film while Alex loses it in the background was an all-time TM moment. Same with Bridget's seemingly genuine inability to understand what a pedometer does.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Ardal drowning a mannequin in a cement mixer like a scene from a low budget horror film while Alex loses it in the background was an all-time TM moment. Same with Bridget's seemingly genuine inability to understand what a pedometer does.

So very much agreed. I love all of them yet, those two leave me completely defenseless. I can not not-laugh or be dramatically enthralled when they do something

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

So very much agreed. I love all of them yet, those two leave me completely defenseless. I can not not-laugh or be dramatically enthralled when they do something

the combination of Ardal's "gently caress it, whatever" attitude in tasks with his rabid competitiveness in the studio is one of the funniest things in Taskmaster

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

eke out posted:

the combination of Ardal's "gently caress it, whatever" attitude in tasks with his rabid competitiveness in the studio is one of the funniest things in Taskmaster

That god drat "best pre-historic" line, indescribable

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The last season had Victoria who was clearly an intelligent person but bad at doing most of the tasks (the bike ride impressed the hell out of me, though). Now we have Bridget who is quite funny but seems to have a problem even understanding basic concepts. The "on the pedometer" thing was really great though. That last episode was fantastic.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Anyone wanna see more Wang? (and jazz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi9RMId_0I

Sorry, ment this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xzn7w9rguo

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

A curiously female body-part focused episode of Taskmaster tonight, from Bridgets' Amniotic Fluid Hook story, to her baking little breasts on a milk island, and then Sophies' startling recreation of "L'Origine du Monde" (NSFW) in butter, broccoli and strawberry laces.

Also startling: Bridget being the lone voice of practicality and sanity in the team task.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Loved it again. Show Off is one of those elegantly simple tasks, and it's got that Taskmaster edge by taking people out of their comfort zone. Having all that build-up to see Ardal repeat what Chris has been doing, at smaller scale, with much less success - a classic edit for sure. And surprised that none of them quite saw the twist coming in the edible sculptures ("that means you can eat it" - Bridget).

Even though the toilet roll task has been seen before in New Zealand Taskmaster (and in fact the Swedish version too), I think basing the order of throwing on tower height was novel. I can also see why they're more keen to re-use proven live tasks. You can choose to leave out a pre-filmed task if it's lacklustre, imbalanced or unfunny. But you're committed to the live task. And the ending was certainly high drama!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"Show off" is a great one

e: also channel 4 not so interested in showing the reference image for L'Origine du Monde lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 27, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"But how am I supposed to kill you with your own shoe?"

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
No banter this week? Edited for time maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The show off task was amazing. Bridget's gradual scaling down from an already fairly modest showing off of throwing two balls into two different buckets on different levels from afar to throwing one ball into one bucket from up close was heart-breaking and hilarious. It's a good thing, I reckon, she couldn't get a gun or an axe.