Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wolfsheim posted:

My favorite bill murray movie that I am literally a more annoying person for liking is Coffee & Cigarettes

also by Jim jarmusch. hmm I see permanent vacation is on HBO, gonna check that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I dont watch anything seth green's in as a principle but yeah broken flowers was great (another Starz watch)...just so many dope songs
Still gotta get around to Only Lovers Left Alive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't recall seth green being in broken flowers much at all, was he?

great film anywa IIRC

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh no that was just a poorly structured response to their other post about...a movie apparently called "Changeland". Very cool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Darjeeling Limited loving sucks and it's aged like cream in a greenhouse

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I dont watch anything seth green's in as a principle but yeah broken flowers was great (another Starz watch)...just so many dope songs

Party Monster rules

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've run into Seth Green's mom a couple times, she's alright and her dog is pretty cool, but I'm kinda over Seth himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Party Monster rules

you really want to hate his mincing little gay boy act but god drat it, he actually commits to it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope you guys aren’t sleeping on the Seth Green classic, Ticks.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I don't want to act like the show ever went ACAB, since it was a TNT procedural, but for what it's worth they kind of acknowledge that Sedgewick's character is a pretty iffy person at best and the satisfying victories in the show only come when she's unleashed on worse people. I didn't watch many of the early episodes, but by the end they have some plot points in play to that effect.

Timby posted:

The last two seasons are pretty much entirely about how her history of being terrible lands her in extremely hot water.

I joined someone else watching near the beginning of season 5, and she is all about threatening people with the death penalty and covering up police misconduct. My favorite moment so far is probably her taking a nurse call button away from someone in a hospital bed so she could interrogate them without their lawyer. Then they'll bookend the episode with her being sad about her cat. I don't know, it's just a show, but as I get older and the news gets more horrifying the more I recognize as awful in cop shows. Parts of it are exciting at least, and if you like the cop parts of Law and Order more than the court parts it's probably good. Does Major Crimes end up being better?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 20, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Major Crimes was apparently really forgettable because I definitely watched all of it back when it was on and I don't really remember much of it. It's basically just more of the same except with a new lead. Although it kind of goes in the opposite direction where it's about a by-the-book internal affairs cop getting more slippery as the show goes on. The central gimmick that they started with was that she was desperate to get deals because it saved money and reduced the risk of a trial.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Do yourself a big favor and prioritize it asap.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Prime shows me the same commercial for their new Addams Family thing between every episode of shows when I’m binging. How are they so bad at this?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RRR is on Netflix now, if you have that and three hours to kill with a very fun Indian action blockbuster

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

smackfu posted:

Prime shows me the same commercial for their new Addams Family thing between every episode of shows when I’m binging. How are they so bad at this?

You are aware of and talking about their show. Sounds like they're pretty good actually.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im just tired of films about white people going to a FOREIGN LAND and those around them only exist as thin stereotypes or accessories, a backdrop. Eastern men tend to be emasculated or portrayed as controlling/more tyrannical in these stereotypical films while eastern women are overly sexualized. The only two really significant Indian characters in Darjeeling are both of those stereotypes!!!

I guess it's freshly obnoxious for me since I just saw it recently for the first time on Starz. Also saw Bottle Rocket on there for the first time, tho I actually liked that a fair bit, less obnoxious.

Watch more foreign movies

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Indian guy in Darjeeling unlimited was pretty much just doing his job. Y'all are reaching pretty hard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
looks like Jackass 4.5 just dropped on Netflix :woop:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I haven't seen Jackass 3 yet, any big plot stuff I should know going into the sequel?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't seen Jackass 3 yet, any big plot stuff I should know going into the sequel?

Be prepared for tons of penis.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tons of male nudity and hilarious

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Wolfsheim posted:

I'd look up a plot summary on youtube, you'll be pretty lost if you haven't been following the overarching plotlines and character arcs

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo like half of this should have been in the movie

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo like half of this should have been in the movie

I haven't watched it yet but is it possible it was cut in order to keep the R rating?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Love Death + Robots Season 3 is out! It's a mixed bag.

Three Robots: Exit Strategies - I wanted more of these characters, but I also wanted them to not hit me over the head with reminders about how much current events suck. I also think it steps all over the first one's worldbuilding.

Bad Travelling - A+. Watching a scared ship crew trying to appease a giant crab and the power struggle that ensued was so much fun to watch.

The Very Pulse of the Machine - Trippy, but great visuals alone aren't really my thing. Reminds me of that Blue one some people seemed to love from an earlier season. I'm not the best person to review this one, sorry.

Night of the Mini Dead - Cute and fun, like someone set up little animated dioramas of a zombie apocalypse from start to finish. I saw so many little details and I'm sure there were plenty that I missed.

Kill Team Kill - Gung-ho soldiers encounter a beast. Hyperviolent gory animation with a whole lot of swearing and non-stop MCU-esque quips. If that's your thing, I guess it'd be good?

Swarm - I liked the ending, but I think it's been used before in a science fiction novel I've heard of? Or something similar.

Mason's Rats - A guy tries to get evolved rats out of his barn. Great animation, a little meh on the plot and resolution.

In the Vaulted Hills Esteemed - Actually some very generic Lovecraftian stuff, but only if you're as invested in that stuff as I am, probably. Still, seeing it on the screen was neat.

Jibaro - Wow. I don't know what mythology the siren was based around, but the emotion on her was fantastic. I've never seen a monster that not only enjoyed killing, but you actually feel sorry for her showing despair when she can't Do The Killing, joy and hopefulness when she thinks she's found a way to kill again, ...and, well, the rest of it. A+.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't watched it yet but is it possible it was cut in order to keep the R rating?

Possibly? There's some more male nudity but nothing I would think would put it in nc-17 territory

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I know Tears of the Sun is totally white guy saves everyone flick but drat it gets me everytime

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Permanent vacation was a nice leap back in time. Still thinking about it. I liked the set design a lot as well as the 16mm effect. New York looked truly decrepit. I’m reminded of Heideckers The Comedy, which in hindsight seems to be an homage to permanent vacation, but with the characterizations flipped (vacations protagonist has a heart of gold). Then there’s kind of a surreal amarcord vibe going on in the background the whole time underscored by the ambient sax and metal bell soundtrack. The ending shot is also really beautiful.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

precision posted:

man there is no way The French Dispatch is as bad as some of you have been saying :stare:

like if it really is that bad it sounds like it would be hilarious

I really dug it, but it requires 100% concentration and you need to be fine with witnessing Wes Anderson get sucked into his own rear end in a top hat in real time.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Chip and Dale was actually pretty funny and had some really insane cameos. I liked it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tim Whatley posted:

Chip and Dale was actually pretty funny and had some really insane cameos. I liked it.

thats actually good to hear, i wanted it to be at least okay

really sad that The LEGO Movie was such an anomaly quality-wise and only like Turning Red has really stepped up to that level

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Care to spoil the weirdest stuff?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I needed something wholesome to watch and Paddington 2 (HBO Max) delivered. I remember being more delighted by the first one, but that might just have been because I wasn’t expecting much from it. If you haven’t seen either, they are completely sincere & utterly charming fantasies where everything turns out wonderful in the end if you’re just nice to people.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the second one is better.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Care to spoil the weirdest stuff?

Some visual, some with speaking lines.

Ugly Sonic from the original Sonic trailer and he's played by Tim Robinson, Paul Rudd, Randy Marsh, McGruff the Crime Dog, Tigra, He Man and Skeletor, Darkwing Duck, 90s Disney afternoon Baloo but in his new real bear form from the live action Jungle Book singing Disney afternoon themes, Shredder, Roger Rabbit.

The whole plot revolves around taking copyrighted characters and turning them into offbrand looking characters through forced surgery that are then forced to film weird knockoff films, such as Pooj The Fat Honey Bear and The Sampsons. Tons of background movie poster gags and signs. Like Butthead is running for president.

There's way way more but they are fast.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just put it on and I’m having a flood of memories coming back right now from vhs childhood poo poo thank you.also this movie is not for kids at all lol

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

david_a posted:

I needed something wholesome to watch and Paddington 2 (HBO Max) delivered. I remember being more delighted by the first one, but that might just have been because I wasn’t expecting much from it. If you haven’t seen either, they are completely sincere & utterly charming fantasies where everything turns out wonderful in the end if you’re just nice to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vm6Oj-k3vg

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

lol i watched it too for some reason and liked it a lot. shameful haha

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Smythe posted:

lol i watched it too for some reason and liked it a lot. shameful haha

I thought it was good. The writing was above average and it felt like they knew what sort of tone they were going for and kept it consistent. The extensive cameos outside Disney IP helped, and had a good blend of nostalgia/genre/comedy. Felt like a good follow-up to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. My main complaint was that cell shaded Chip looked weird and they should have just animated him by hand to contrast with CG Dale. Maybe they intended to but the switch to streaming cut the budget? Still felt good enough for a theatrical release and overall exceeded my expectations.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

man there is no way The French Dispatch is as bad as some of you have been saying :stare:

like if it really is that bad it sounds like it would be hilarious

I think it's superb, I have no idea what they're talking about, like they're short stories so some character development gets lost but there's also Jeffrey Wright giving an utterly devastating monologue.