Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

If you're okay with just a single fan, Thermaltake from over a decade ago has you covered.

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. Fortunately I have a no glass case so it does not matter.

To my surprise, my biggest issue with having a glass panel, is how reflective it is. Since I have my pc right next to my monitor, sometimes it's an obnoxiously placed mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

It looks like Number 5 Is Alive and on drugs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I understand the functionallist arguement. it's a good one. like at the end of the day it can look like Leela from Futurama and function, a black obelisk is also a kind of statement - minimalist, traditionalist, secretly hum thus sprak zasthura when they turn it on, etc. build what you wanna build and for me for a long time I wanted to build the cheapest machine.

but I have to admit - I felt aesthetic satisfaction in picking how it looked. it can look like a piece of broken robots if you're really really minimalist it's always a choice. that combination of functionalist colours combined into something I kind of like, like a prop on a show set in the future or something. gently caress it who cares, life is too short and when I get up to go pee in the night and see it slowly oozing a green and red alternating color and individual components flickering and blinking about it looks really cool.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I ended up with a glass panel just because I liked everything else about the case.

Thankfully my tower is to the left of my monitors so I don't even have to see it while sitting down.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I fuckin love my RGB lights on my case, I wish I had more RGB in there, I wish it looked like a unicorn vomited inside it but I'll take what I can get

So, Doctor Videogames, it really is acceptable to have temperature spikes into the mid or even upper 80s on these things? Not gonna make it eat poo poo and die prematurely? I've read so many reports of users who are just letting these things roar at full stock settings and if it hits tjmax, oh well, they feel it's made for it - again that completely freaks me out, but it wouldn't be expected to actually pose a problem?

I guess I can bump my temperature limit up a bit and get a little more performance out of my chip... But I'm drawing the line at 90C, Intel and much smarter people than me who made it be damned (I am too primitive to trust advanced engineering because I am dumb). I'm getting like 88c max now under stress testing, as temps are ~90ºF outside (and no AC inside) and that is APPARENTLY FINE

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 19, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, it is completely fine and even expected for the 12900K to sit in the 80s (and even 90s) while under load. In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen someone with a normal PC manage to keep that CPU under 80. I'm pretty sure it's simply not possible without turning to exotic cooling methods.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I also run an artificially low TMax of 95C on my 9900k, it only hits that with renders very rarely and breifly anyways. I think the Intel TMax is 103C or 105C or something.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Agreed posted:

I fuckin love my RGB lights on my case, I wish I had more RGB in there, I wish it looked like a unicorn vomited inside it but I'll take what I can get

CoolCab posted:

I understand the functionallist arguement. it's a good one. like at the end of the day it can look like Leela from Futurama and function, a black obelisk is also a kind of statement - minimalist, traditionalist, secretly hum thus sprak zasthura when they turn it on, etc. build what you wanna build and for me for a long time I wanted to build the cheapest machine.

but I have to admit - I felt aesthetic satisfaction in picking how it looked. it can look like a piece of broken robots if you're really really minimalist it's always a choice. that combination of functionalist colours combined into something I kind of like, like a prop on a show set in the future or something. gently caress it who cares, life is too short and when I get up to go pee in the night and see it slowly oozing a green and red alternating color and individual components flickering and blinking about it looks really cool.

Agreed. I understand not wanting to spend extra on RGB, but the utter disdain for it (even when it comes for "free" on the part you wanted for other reasons) makes me laugh. It feels pretentious and dated. Shiny lights don't automatically mean you have to fill the inside of your computer with them, and position it in an impractical way because you now need to show off an area of your rig you would otherwise never look at. There are plenty of ways you can utilize RGB touches in a way that jives with (or even enhances) a modern, minimalist aesthetic. Blend that poo poo into the colors of your space to create a soft, satisfying vibe. I have a fairly elegant white keyboard with a single gold accent in the knob, solid not-shinethrough keycaps, but a gentle rainbow rippling through the cracks beneath the keys, and whenever I look down its a loving delight. When my new case with practical external RGB in the form of glowy forward-facing fans comes in, I'll set both that and the keyboard to the same permanent color instead (probably some kind of lavender or purple, because I'm a basic bitch). It's going to own, and as CoolCab said, life's way too loving too short to waste time being fussy when you could be having fun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't hate rgb to the level of thinking people that like it are dumb, I just don't want it on my own setup. I usually keep my room pretty dark and too many lights are distracting to me.

Even then I haven't bothered to turn off the rgb logo on my gpu, so I have a rainbow EVGA logo behind the tinted glass panel and it looks kind of neat.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME posted:

looking to replace my 6600k. It's not unworkable but when it chokes on stuff in games i'm spoiled enough to find it unbearable when it doesn't.
Currently looking at the 12700k (Or KF? is there a reason to care about the iGPU?) but I'm having a hard time picking a motherboard, other than knowing I need the Z- kind. Feel like theyve gotten more expensive to get the same amount of stuff as before. Although I've always find it hard to compare them
Some other points of consideration: ive currently got a kit of 2x8 3000mhz ddr4 sticks. Obviously I can keep using them, but considering i got like 6 years out of this I'm probably going to be on whatever kit I have for the next 6 too
I also am currently using a hyper 212 so I'm thinking of maybe bumping up the cooling capacity too depending on cost

tangential but while i'm in the guts of the case, I'd like to dust it out but I always find canned air to not really do that great a job. Like it gets most of the dust but theres always some leftover

Oh right, another thing
What’s even a god way to get rid of the old cpu and mobo anyways

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Floppychop posted:

Even then I haven't bothered to turn off the rgb logo on my gpu, so I have a rainbow EVGA logo behind the tinted glass panel and it looks kind of neat.

:pcgaming::hf::pcgaming:

My apologies for the misread.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

RME posted:

Oh right, another thing

Ecycling charities are pretty common, younger family member, or making a PLEX box or NAS generally all fun projects

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RME posted:

Oh right, another thing

SA Mart. Goons love old cheap PC stuff.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Floppychop posted:

This is what I have in my main build and I think it looks pretty good. All my components are black and from a couple feet away the only thing you can see is the silhouette of the power cables and the rainbow strip of the 3080 FTW.

I just finished a secondary build and i can't say the same for this one as it has 6 RGB fans, an RGB AIO pump and RGB on the gpu and they are all set to rainbow wave. It's disgusting yet somehow beautiful at the same time ha. The compact case and AIO up top wouldn't allow for standard RGB ram but it's got plenty of vomit already so I can live with that, especially when I eventually move the 3080 into it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Agreed posted:

Caselights! I have 4 of these inside my wifes case and its absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X1QJTQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a more basic 4x light strip setup but my order history shows its not available anymore so I dont want to recommend some rando strip I dont own on amazon.

Agreed posted:

So, Doctor Videogames, it really is acceptable to have temperature spikes into the mid or even upper 80s on these things? Not gonna make it eat poo poo and die prematurely? I've read so many reports of users who are just letting these things roar at full stock settings and if it hits tjmax, oh well, they feel it's made for it - again that completely freaks me out, but it wouldn't be expected to actually pose a problem?

I guess I can bump my temperature limit up a bit and get a little more performance out of my chip... But I'm drawing the line at 90C, Intel and much smarter people than me who made it be damned (I am too primitive to trust advanced engineering because I am dumb). I'm getting like 88c max now under stress testing, as temps are ~90ºF outside (and no AC inside) and that is APPARENTLY FINE

Just strap a 360 RAD up there if you put that thing under full load a bunch maybe? Good excuse for a shinny new RGB waterblock :v:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 20, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm probably just going to keep it on the NH-D15, lack of trust extends well past much smarter engineers at Intel and encompasses closed liquid loops, which in my mind are always a few days away from turning into some kinda hosed up sprinkler drenching thousands of bucks worth of parts.

I'm getting good performance out of PL1 190W, PL2 205W with a 90C manual thermal limit and a -0.06V offset. I still feel like 90C is an insane temp but I am striving to accept that I am simply getting old and my comfort thresholds are dated. I see high end modern AMD processors turboing into similar territory, I guess it's possible CPUs can just handle spikes of higher temps today better than they could 10 years ago.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I have an i7 7700k @ 4.2 ghz for a CPU (I haven't delidded it yet) and a 1070 GTX as a GPU. Which of these two would be more of a bottleneck for an upgrade? I'm thinking of a new GPU first personally.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

NeoSeeker posted:

I have an i7 7700k @ 4.2 ghz for a CPU (I haven't delidded it yet) and a 1070 GTX as a GPU. Which of these two would be more of a bottleneck for an upgrade? I'm thinking of a new GPU first personally.

What resolution do you game at or want to game at? For anything 1440p and above, I would think the GPU would be the main bottleneck here. But really, both of these parts are old enough now that you will want to quickly upgrade the one alongside the other, I would think. Not sure there is much to gain by holding out on the 2nd part, I'd save and grab a whole new system all at once, maybe that's just me though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

Upgrading your CPU on its own probably won't improve gaming performance by much if any, while upgrading your GPU will by a lot. So do that. That said, a 7700K will still bottleneck higher-end GPUs (and possibly midrange GPUs in certain games), so you should think about replacing that too at some point.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Pvt. Parts posted:

What resolution do you game at or want to game at? For anything 1440p and above, I would think the GPU would be the main bottleneck here. But really, both of these parts are old enough now that you will want to quickly upgrade the one alongside the other, I would think. Not sure there is much to gain by holding out on the 2nd part, I'd save and grab a whole new system all at once, maybe that's just me though.

I'm aiming for 1440p gaming at 144hz.

Was playing Elden Ring and noticed frame drops as well as the CPU temp swelling much more than normal. It's probably the GPU. And also there's a chance I can delid my CPU and decrease temps by at least 10 degrees.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
elden ring just drops frames, it's not a great indicator. idk if they patched it but at launch you could throw a 3090 and 12900k at it and the shader issue would still cause stutters.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

A lot of games seem to be using AVX for shader compilation (and other stuff I'm sure) which is really intensive - modern processors will probably not be cooler, from my experience, but I have it on good word that they are very well engineered to handle the heat and I've certainly noticed no ill effects though it makes me squeamish, as I've noted recently :)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Elden Ring was a recent try that reminded me my GPU is getting old. I have a few games I can still play, but my stickler rear end wants to experience them in their full glory.

Thanks for the input dudes. The i7 is dated, but I think I can squeeze some more life out of it with some extra love. Probably going for a 3080 RTX or something comparable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah it's not a bad idea to wait a bit on CPUs if you can. The new ones are very good but Intel's 12th gen is their first generation that can use DDR5 (it also can use DDR4). AMD doesn't have a generation on DDR5 yet. Things will probably get a bit faster in the next year or two when we see more of that and DDR5 gets more available as well as cheaper and faster. I just got an R7-5800X like six months ago but I was looking for higher framerates in a badly CPU optimized game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

This is what I have in my main build and I think it looks pretty good. All my components are black and from a couple feet away the only thing you can see is the silhouette of the power cables and the rainbow strip of the 3080 FTW.

I just finished a secondary build and i can't say the same for this one as it has 6 RGB fans, an RGB AIO pump and RGB on the gpu and they are all set to rainbow wave. It's disgusting yet somehow beautiful at the same time ha. The compact case and AIO up top wouldn't allow for standard RGB ram but it's got plenty of vomit already so I can live with that, especially when I eventually move the 3080 into it.

It does the ripply rainbow-looking effect that is kind of the default demo mode for most things, but I like it.

I've actually thought about getting some of those little triangular accent lights, but $120 for 9 little lighted triangles is a bit much for me.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I can't stop tinkering even though for all practical purposes my PC is definitely "done." Why I care about cable management now when I don't have a glass panel, don't have any RGB, and have my PC under my desk anyway is a mystery to me.

1. Are there any good custom PSU cables that aren't from cablemod? I only "need" one PCIe 8-pin and one dual PCIe 8-pin, which comes out to like $40, and cablemod has an $80 minimum order for shipping to "remote areas" which apparently includes Brooklyn (what the hell also)?

2. Any recommended GPU support brackets for an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in an NR200? I've currently got some silicone furniture feet under there but would prefer something without glue because they're definitely sliding a bit in the heat of full load. The space is only like .75" and I haven't found anything small enough. I suppose I could deshroud and get two big case fans down there, but I don't know if I want to spend the effort.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Scythe posted:

I can't stop tinkering even though for all practical purposes my PC is definitely "done."

lol, learn to live vicariously by being helpful in the pc building megathread, it's the only way beyond scoring facebook market for cheap parts that scratches that itch

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scythe posted:

2. Any recommended GPU support brackets for an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in an NR200? I've currently got some silicone furniture feet under there but would prefer something without glue because they're definitely sliding a bit in the heat of full load. The space is only like .75" and I haven't found anything small enough. I suppose I could deshroud and get two big case fans down there, but I don't know if I want to spend the effort.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm aiming for 1440p gaming at 144hz.

Was playing Elden Ring and noticed frame drops as well as the CPU temp swelling much more than normal. It's probably the GPU. And also there's a chance I can delid my CPU and decrease temps by at least 10 degrees.

Elden Ring just dips, don't worry about it (apart from the CPU temps, it shouldn't be under too much load in a game locked to 60 FPS). Even after beating the game and starting over after setting my shader cache folder size to "unlimited", the area in Limgrave with the first tree knight still causes dips down to like 40 FPS for some reason.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scythe posted:

I use a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SBB5N1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but I don't know if they get short enough (edit: nope, too tall). I like the lego lifter :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 20, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CoolCab posted:

lol, learn to live vicariously by being helpful in the pc building megathread, it's the only way beyond scoring facebook market for cheap parts that scratches that itch

:hmmyes:

There are a couple local places that sell used computer parts, and I have had to train myself that I don't need to build a PC at the least provocation. Fighting the urge to tinker on my existing machines is still an ongoing struggle, though.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Currently on a AMD FX-8370E + GTX 970 and way beyond time for a new video card, but thinkingI should just replace everything. Probably leaning towards a prebuilt unless buying parts is actually going to be significantly cheaper.. (the prebuilt market did get better in the last 10 years, right?)

So, any brand recommendations for prebuilt in the $1500 neighborhood?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

CoolCab posted:

oh my god you're right

That's why I'm still here. To stop buying more parts.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Anti-Bunny posted:

Currently on a AMD FX-8370E + GTX 970 and way beyond time for a new video card, but thinkingI should just replace everything. Probably leaning towards a prebuilt unless buying parts is actually going to be significantly cheaper.. (the prebuilt market did get better in the last 10 years, right?)

So, any brand recommendations for prebuilt in the $1500 neighborhood?

Skytech prices are reasonable and everything else is inoffensive.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Okay I'm close to my upgrade but I'm looking to decide between a few mobos
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10/ - 210
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-10 - 200
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A-DDR4 200

the Gigabyte boards have a bit of a better I/O profile but I know people have some distaste for their motherboards.
the MSI feels like the only other 200 and under board that isnt uh, compromised on things like nvme slots.

Not looking for a champion overclocker, i only ever put a pretty basic (but appreciated) one on my current setup; just how risky are these gigabyte boards really.

Secondly for cooling, a lot of the nicer air coolers are running like 65-100. I was looking at the fuma 2 rev b and the mugen 5 rev b in particular. Above that I'm starting to wonder if I should just get one of those AIO loops. I could also just stick with my old hyper 212 but these new chips just seem much hotter in general

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I personally went with an air cooler this time around as it's quieter and performs as well as my old AIO did, though I had that one set up wrong with variable speed on the pump. Unless you overclock or move the PC around a lot I don't really see the point of water.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I think the biggest use case for water for most people is mini-ITX cases where a big air cooler won't fit. If that's not a problem then just default to air.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I personally went with an air cooler this time around as it's quieter and performs as well as my old AIO did, though I had that one set up wrong with variable speed on the pump. Unless you overclock or move the PC around a lot I don't really see the point of water.

Just nice not to have the big thing cantilevered out from the motherboard.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah fair enough. I went with a second AIO on the GPU last time that really cramped my options, but CPU-only isn't so bad. Next time I feel like doing that I'm getting a custom loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it looks cool