Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If Rennala marrying Radagon made her big then Radagon being Marika would have been a much harder secret to keep. She must have been that big beforehand.

Radagon wasn’t known to be a god, he was a presented as a normal soldier/leader of the armies of the Erdtree. So if upon marrying Rennala she became huge like you propose happened to Godfrey and Rennala, that would be suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lord_Magmar posted:

If Rennala marrying Radagon made her big then Radagon being Marika would have been a much harder secret to keep. She must have been that big beforehand.

Radagon wasn’t known to be a god, he was a presented as a normal soldier/leader of the armies of the Erdtree. So if upon marrying Rennala she became huge like you propose happened to Godfrey and Rennala, that would be suspicious.

Do I need to quote the post again about the chosen one of the moon god is big or are you just going to keep being this wrong while I toast my victory?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

crepeface posted:

We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land. The flow of size itself is convoluted; with waifus centuries old growing and shrinking. The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure. There's no telling how smoll or chungus heroes will remain.

Actually it's this. I was wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Anime Liker posted:

Do I need to quote the post again about the chosen one of the moon god is big or are you just going to keep being this wrong while I toast my victory?

Well I didn’t see you mention the moon god and it seemed like you were talking about being the chosen one of Radagon. My counterpoint is that Ranni is the actual Empyrena chosen by the Moon Deity.

Anyway, I think we should instead consider the implications that Maliketh is Marika’s brother, and all the Demogods are scared of him.

Did Marika threaten her children with uncle Maliketh?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well I didn’t see you mention the moon god and it seemed like you were talking about being the chosen one of Radagon. My counterpoint is that Ranni is the actual Empyrena chosen by the Moon Deity.

Anyway, I think we should instead consider the implications that Maliketh is Marika’s brother, and all the Demogods are scared of him.

"If you're bad little boys and girls, uncle Maliketh will come and murder you."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lord_Magmar posted:

Before the whole shattering thing had him going crazy for deathroot he was probably more chill and little golden Godwyn and baby Melina would ride on him while Malenia played swords and Miquella slept.

:3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well I didn’t see you mention the moon god and

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Someone didn't pay attention to the Ranni questline.

There's the Elden/Erd soul siphon god, the moon god, the Frenzied Flame (blessed be his virtuous name), the snake god, whatever the ancestor followers were on about, and the pregnant space whale blood god.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ranni's burnt original body seems to be of a similar size to Rennala

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tarezax posted:

Ranni's burnt original body seems to be of a similar size to Rennala

Well yeah but that's because Ranni is Melina, daughter of Marika and Radagon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Anime Liker posted:

Well yeah but that's because Ranni is Melina, daughter of Marika and Radagon.

No that doesn’t work Melina is smaller than Ranni’s burnt body.

The Anime Liker posted:

Before the whole shattering thing had him going crazy for deathroot he was probably more chill and little golden Godwyn and baby Melina would ride on him while Malenia played swords and Miquella slept.

:3:

Supremezero posted:

"If you're bad little boys and girls, uncle Maliketh will come and murder you."

I like both of these, sadly I think Marika kept uncle Maliketh locked up in Faram Azula.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lord_Magmar posted:

No that doesn’t work Melina is smaller than Ranni’s burnt body.

crepeface posted:

We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land. The flow of size itself is convoluted; with waifus centuries old growing and shrinking. The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure. There's no telling how smoll or chungus heroes will remain.

Also: ghost

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why are we supposed to kill Maliketh again?

Aside from that one roid rage incident he was pretty cool, he even gave me some sweet poo poo for taking all that rancid death off my hands. Feels bad that I had to put a bullet in Old Yeller's head :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Parrotine posted:

Aside from that one roid rage incident he was pretty cool, he even gave me some sweet poo poo for taking all that rancid death off my hands. Feels bad that I had to put a bullet in Old Yeller's head :(

You need the rune of death to proceed with your mission.

And Scruffy is not letting you take that ball out of his mouth.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There isn't actually a moon deity.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rand Brittain posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I recall some professor type going on about being the Goddess of the Full Moon.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The Anime Liker posted:

Unrelated: why does everyone hate Micolash?

I had a lot of fun earlier. You chase him, roll his summons, and he corners himself. It was great.

And the music was top shelf.

He's p cool the first time but if you ever get blown up by A Call Beyond when he's at like 10% health and you have to start over chasing him through the first phase he gets real tedious real fast on subsequent playthroughs.

Rand Brittain posted:

If the moon deity isn't real then explain this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDzSdaTVQ8&t=52s

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

The Moon of Nokstella, Ranni’s ending, parts of her questline, and at least two sorcery descriptions say there is.

Parrotine posted:

Need Destined Death to kill the Erdtree to get inside and fix the Elden Ring, Maliketh has bound the Rune of Destined Death to his very body after part of it got stolen (in fact this is the betrayal of Marika, she orchestrated the theft).

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Do you need one or five Seedbed Curses to get the option to turn the Dung Eater into a puppet?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every time I think I might be getting good at this game I see something like a video of a naked guy with negligible vigor clowning on a Runebear using only a saxophone.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Waffleopolis posted:

Do you need one or five Seedbed Curses to get the option to turn the Dung Eater into a puppet?

i dont think you need any? if you can get to his physical body in the sewers, and you have seluvis' potion, you can just give it to him i think?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Waffleopolis posted:

You need to show him one in roundtable to get the key to his cell, let him out of his cell so you can kill him invading in the moats (this will drop you a second curse if you've progressed prawn guy to the moat), then return to his cell where he's now tied up to give him the potion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waffleopolis posted:

One to get him to call you out

Then the Seluvis potion

And an alive Seluvis

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Dung+Eater+Puppet

Follow this exactly. It's REALLY easy to lock yourself out of the poopoo papit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

withak posted:

Every time I think I might be getting good at this game I see something like a video of a naked guy with negligible vigor clowning on a Runebear using only a saxophone.

I don't think I'll ever get anywhere near as gud as these people who fist fight Malenia or do gun only Bloodborne runs or that maniac who does Sekiro but all the enemies are the final bosses. I don't even understand HOW you get to that level. These people have insane reflexes.

I'm fine at my B tier. I can clown the SoulsborneRing bosses with properly leveled weapons and that's gud enough.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Outer Gods we get names for are:
The Greater Will: It’s God on Earth is Marika, it likes Trees and Rings. May or may not be planning on eating everyones souls via tree.
The Flame of Frenzy: It’s god on earth is you maybe? It wants to destroy the universe.
The Formless Mother: It’s champion is Mohg but he seems to want to make Miquella it’s god on earth. It likes blood and open wounds and is probably the “Blood Star” that gives the thorn sorcerers their powers (they literally got their powers through having open wounds).
The Scarlet Rot: Wants to make Malenia it’s God on Earth. Wants to turn everything into a bunch of puss and mold.

Gods that may or may not be Outer:
The Moon: I think it’s an Outer God but it’s too vague till we get DLC. It’s God on Earth is Ranni (eventually). It seems to be the leader of the stars and thus fate, but it seems like it just wants to teach people how to freeze stuff, like your friend who just got his degree in refrigerator repair.
Possible Death God: The Gloam eyed queen may have been its god on earth if it exists. There’s lots of factions that worship vague death entities that might be all connected. If it exists it presumably likes dead stuff.
Dragon God: When Placid Duck was Elden Lord he served an Earthly God, and in this setting Earthly Gods seem to always have an Outer God backing them. Possibly related to time.
Possible Giant God: The Giants worshipped the earthly god called the Fell God that was associated with the Flame of Ruin. Marika killed it, but like the Dragons it presumably had an Outer God backing it.

There’s definitely a system here though of Trinity’s. Where the age is defined by an Outer God, it’s Chosen Earthly God, and their consort, the Elden Lord. I think Marika taking a second Lord may have been “against the rules” and part of a Plan to cheat the system and rule forever, Miyazaki absolutely loves the whole “don’t make things last beyond their time or it will backfire” theme. Gideons right that she wants the Tarnished to fight forever, because she wants to rule forever. Ranni just ruined her plan with her own, and she underestimated Radagons independence.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

just went up against maliketh on my 3rd character and did it this time without summons and it was super rewarding. Idk, i kinda think i understand what they were going for with summons.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

The Anime Liker posted:

One to get him to call you out

Then the Seluvis potion

And an alive Seluvis

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Dung+Eater+Puppet

Follow this exactly. It's REALLY easy to lock yourself out of the poopoo papit

Well drat. Yeah got locked out. Priority was Ranni's ending. I just decided to chuck lighting at him while he's tied up. Still funny.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 20, 2022

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Picking this back up after a few week break, planning to go through NG2+ to get the final achievement (Elden Lord ending). Is the dual godskin peeler/bleed enchant/seppuku build still stupidly good or did they nerf it more?

Separate question: which of the Elden Lord endings do people think of as the most fulfilling or "good" one? The one from Fia's quest involves emancipating people from the golden order, so I'm inclined to go with that as a satisfying conclusion. Goldmask's seems impossibly utopian or horribly dystopian depending on your interpretation, the vanilla Elden Lord ending just reinstates a lovely status quo, and dung eater is getting turned into a doll even if his ending wasn't some comically evil poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Frenzied Flame! Burn it all down! :black101:

Ranni utterly removing the influence of the Greater Will is probably the better long-term play, but who knows what's going to happen at the end of that thousand-year journey?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've done Ranni's and the Frenzied Flame endings, so I'm specifically trying to choose which of the Elden Lord endings to go with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bike tory posted:

I've done Ranni's and the Frenzied Flame endings, so I'm specifically trying to choose which of the Elden Lord endings to go with.
Ah! Probably Fia's then. The game is full to the brim with examples of why immortality was a mistake.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought I was doing well for beating Mohg on the first try and then over the next few hours fell to my death dozens of times in the next two areas. A very Elden Ring experience

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Moon of Nokstella, Ranni’s ending, parts of her questline, and at least two sorcery descriptions say there is.

No, they don't.

We know that there is a moon. People jump from that to the assumption that it's an Outer God and that Ranni is its minion, but that's an assumption. The game doesn't really give any indication that the moon is sentient, that it has a political agenda, or that Ranni is its follower in any sense other than thinking it's a neat source of mystical wisdom.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Ah! Probably Fia's then. The game is full to the brim with examples of why immortality was a mistake.

You know what? That kind of makes sense, I think I'm gonna go with that option too.

What a wild thought that the Death Ending is the most merciful choice to pick.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fia's is the correct ending because skeletons are cool.

But really you could make the argument that any of the endings are the nicest or whatever. People still try for Frenzied Flame and Dung Eater.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

No, they don't.

We know that there is a moon. People jump from that to the assumption that it's an Outer God and that Ranni is its minion, but that's an assumption. The game doesn't really give any indication that the moon is sentient, that it has a political agenda, or that Ranni is its follower in any sense other than thinking it's a neat source of mystical wisdom.

I make no assumption that Ranni is it's minion because that's now how the Outer Gods -- Empyrean -- Gods situation works. Marika isn't the Greater Will's Minion anymore than Malenia is the minion of the Outer God of Rot. It is a form of contract or patronage, and Ranni explicitly has made contact with the moon in a way that suggests the moon sure is related to an Outer God.

Several spells make it clear that there is something to the moon beyond just Ranni thinking it is neat. For example Glintstone Icecrag and anything else Ranni was taught by Renna the Snow Witch. Also both of the moon sorceries directly discuss Renalla and Ranni meeting the moon and communing with it.

Glintstone Icecrag posted:

Sorcery said to have been used by the old snow witch.

The glintstone serves as a conduit, launching a mass ofcold magic.
This sorcery can be cast repeatedly and while in motion.

The snowy crone taught the young Ranni to fear the dark moon
as she imparted her cold sorcery.

Moon Sorceries posted:

Uses the caster as a vessel to incarnate a full moon, then sends it floating toward foes. The full moon dispels all sorcery that touches it, and temporarily reduces magic damage negation for those it strikes.

Queen Rennala encountered this enchanting moon when she was young, and later, it would bewitch the academy

Uses the caster as a vessel to incarnate a cold, dark moon, then sends it floating toward foes. The dark moon dispels all sorcery that touches it, and temporarily reduces magic damage negation for those it strikes.

This moon was encountered by a young Ranni, led by the hand of her mother, Rennala. What she beheld was cold, dark and veiled in occult mystery.

Note the description of Incarnate, not create or manifest or summon, incarnate. Furthermore, the Eternal Cities were people who were trying to create an artificial Lord of Night to usher in the Age of Stars for their Dark Moon. So there's certainly something someone was worshipping at some point. Given what we know of how Empyreans become gods (Mohg intends for Miquella to become a god patron of the Formless Mother, Malenia is slowly being stripped down to become a Goddess of Rot for the Outer God of Rot, Marika has her pact with the Greater Will as part of the Elden Ring, the Gloam-Eyed Queen was associated with an Outer God of Death) I'm pretty sure Ranni, the Empyrean, who worships the moon and stars like the Carians of Old, and the Nox Priests and Night Maidens and Nox Swordstresses do, is probably worshipping/communing with an Outer God to become a Goddess of the Stars. This isn't a bad thing, considering her goal, but the Outer Gods aren't inherently bad things anyway.

Lastly, the big revelation of Glintstone Sorceries is that Sorcery and Incantation are pretty much the same thing calling upon different sources, Sorcery is contacting Higher Powers just the same as Incantations. That's why the Briar Sorceries exist (they're likely calling upon the Formless Mother), and plenty of Sorceries describe gaining power from a Star (which as we know from the Astels and Fallingstar beasts might well be relatively eldritch beings). Ranni's intent with the Moon is to remove the interference of all gods upon the Lands Between, which matches up quite well with the previous Moon Eldritch God in the Fromsoft lineup.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 20, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
plus there sure seems to be something reaching from the moon towards Ranni or perhaps the lands between in the age of stars ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67aHslwqZXw&t=168s

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

plus there sure seems to be something reaching from the moon towards Ranni or perhaps the lands between in the age of stars ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67aHslwqZXw&t=168s

Yeah the visual here is pretty clear, the Erdtree fades away as an unnatural massive full moon rises full of magic and space powers. Notably the Age of Frenzy also involves the Erdtree being replaced with the sign of a different Outer God.

Ranni's ending is good, she's got a good idea and plan, it still involves replacing the Greater Will with a different Outer God just the same as the Age of Chaos. If it didn't do that Ranni could've enacted her desires upon the Golden Order by replacing Marika with the right Runes, given we can also modify the Golden Order and Marika herself modified it too (which the Greater Will wants Ranni to do in theory, if it had an issue with modification of the Elden Ring it'd have been more quick to mess with Marika I think, whereas it only punishes her after she shatters the Elden Ring itself in direct defiance).

Of the basic Endings all three are based on what you feel the greatest unfairness in the Golden Order is. Do you think the treatment of Omens and Misbegotten and the Cursed is wrong, then maybe you think everyone should be equally cursed forever. Do you think that the unfairness of the systems of death and the treatment of skeletons is the greatest wrong, then maybe you wanna wake up the Death-Prince. Do you think that the Gods and demigods loopholing the Golden Order and causing a bunch of wars and death and violence is bad, then yo Goldmask got that Perfect Order with zero loopholes for you. If you think the old order was more or less fine don't bother with this and just go rebuild your new goddess wife with no eldritch beast inside her.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there any lore on the dung eater's sun medallion thing? is it a joke about sunbros