Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

If you were looking for a 49cc project scooter, maybe not a complete basket case but in need of some work, what models would you look for and what would you absolutely avoid?
There are Tao Taos, Kymcos, odd Honda’s, and the occasional Genuine around me in my potential budget.

I’ve enjoyed both of the genuines I have. 2900 miles on one of them without an issue. Both were purchased used for under 800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you're ok with tinkering and need to keep costs down you can go with the Taotao, but man their build quality is still so bad it just feels insulting to the owner and mechanic in my opinion. The plastics feel like poo poo, you'll find electrical connectors not crimped on right, the centerstands are the wrong height, etc. Hondas are good of course, but more complex and harder to mod for performance. Genuines and Yamahas I think are the best, because they're decently made, fairly fast out of the box and easy to mod. Also lots of parts available.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m not chasing a performance modding kind of dream, but if some simple stuff like intake-jets-can was easily available I’d probably try it. Mainly I just want to fix something up and ride it, but cheaper and simpler than another motorcycle. My wife is a little scooter curious and I’m getting that way more and more. I don’t want a complete chunk of poo poo so I’ll probably avoid Taotao and similar stuff if I can get a Honda, Yamaha, or Genuine for ~$500 or less.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So I just offhand mentioned to my buddy that I was thinking about a scooter project in the future and now he has two basket case Taotaos that he found on CL for us to dick around with. I think the goal is to work on them here and there as we have time over the next few months and then ride them from his house to mine. We live about 50 miles apart on the Colorado Front Range where it is a challenge to find routes between cities that are at all welcoming to such vehicles.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So I just offhand mentioned to my buddy that I was thinking about a scooter project in the future and now he has two basket case Taotaos that he found on CL for us to dick around with. I think the goal is to work on them here and there as we have time over the next few months and then ride them from his house to mine. We live about 50 miles apart on the Colorado Front Range where it is a challenge to find routes between cities that are at all welcoming to such vehicles.

First one

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Second scooter acquired: an ING Venice

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taking my _ING scoot back to the _ING dealer because the _ING engine spun a _ING bearing

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This looks a lot like something you would buy from Walmart.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No idea where it came from after it left China. Sure to be POed all to poo poo. Apparently it’s two stroke.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Phy posted:

Taking my _ING scoot back to the _ING dealer because the _ING engine spun a _ING bearing

Lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

_ING guy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Turns out it's TNG, for Twist N Go. My buddy that picked it up got it running and put a seat on it and says it's terrifying.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rode a Burgman in a serious way for the first time recently. My mind is totally blown. Aside from it being hideous and making unfun noises, it's one of the best bikes of any kind I've ridden. And I'm a bike mechanic, I've ridden a lot. It was only a 400 but it felt plenty fast to me. Think it maxed out at about 90 and that was gearing limited, not aerodynamically. Absolutely everything it does is effortless and smooth and fast. It stops hard easily, it accelerates hard easily. I'm hard pressed to think of any bike I've ridden that handled so nicely. It feels feather light and yet rock solid and stable at every speed. Effortless turning and totally neutral in corners. I wish my Ducati handled that well. I rode a brand new GT Vespa shortly after that, which I previously liked, and then my first thought was "Christ I don't want one of those things." My world is turned upside down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FINALLY! Welcome to the club! The Elite 250 was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden or owned, and I am sure that the Burg 400 is 10x better than it easily.

Big scoots are so, so good and effortless to ride

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 18, 2022

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's amazing. I lust for a 650 burg exec more than I have any reason to. They just seem so big and nice and lazy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rode a Burgman in a serious way for the first time recently. My mind is totally blown. Aside from it being hideous and making unfun noises, it's one of the best bikes of any kind I've ridden. And I'm a bike mechanic, I've ridden a lot. It was only a 400 but it felt plenty fast to me. Think it maxed out at about 90 and that was gearing limited, not aerodynamically. Absolutely everything it does is effortless and smooth and fast. It stops hard easily, it accelerates hard easily. I'm hard pressed to think of any bike I've ridden that handled so nicely. It feels feather light and yet rock solid and stable at every speed. Effortless turning and totally neutral in corners. I wish my Ducati handled that well. I rode a brand new GT Vespa shortly after that, which I previously liked, and then my first thought was "Christ I don't want one of those things." My world is turned upside down.

Hell yeah. I've been riding my Forza 350 again and I felt much of the same (despite I think being mechanically "inferior" to the Burgman due to the different rear spring arrangement and slightly smaller engine), it just feels how bikes should be. Neutral, easy, a pleasure to drive, fast enough to be fun but not too dangerous.

My old 2008 Vespa GTS 300 in comparison feels like trying to ride a giant, angry, screaming weasel - which is fun in its own way, but I'd never have paid MSRP for it when you can get something that's not actually trying to kill you when you ride it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scoooter megathread: I wish my Ducati handled this well

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Vespa gets the style right in a way that nobody else does, but they've always handled like complete rear end

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vespa gets the style right in a way that nobody else does, but they've always handled like complete rear end

Above 60km/h? It'll try to vibrate its own screws off (and can actually succeed)
Below 50km/h? It'll try to shimmy your hands off the handlebar when decelerating

A true marvel of engineering, that thing. And yet, it's fun to ride and it accelerates from a standstill like nothing else I've ridden, and I've had a v-strom 650 that went 0-100km/h in about 5 seconds

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone know what this is? And how much I should buy it for?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I don't know what it is, but it's cute!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Possibly a 175cc kinlon from 2003, but I'm real skeptical about the 175cc part.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

builds character posted:

Anyone know what this is? And how much I should buy it for?

Honda Super Cub? Some sort of bootleg Super Cub? Get some more pics maybe?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cached Money posted:

Honda Super Cub? Some sort of bootleg Super Cub? Get some more pics maybe?

yeah, definitely a bootleg supercub from 2003.

Made by kinlon, apparently.

800km on it. HHMMMMMMMM.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

builds character posted:

yeah, definitely a bootleg supercub from 2003.

Made by kinlon, apparently.

800km on it. HHMMMMMMMM.

I'd ride that

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cached Money posted:

I'd ride that

The saga continues.

No keys and no title. I think I'll pass unless they're willing to accept something very low.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I saw a $100 86 Honda Spree popup on Facebook MarketPlace 20 minutes after it was listed.

Seller said ripped seat, turnsignals and horn broken, electric start doesn't work, tires are bad, lost title, 7.5k miles, but all there, has the key, runs and drives.

Messaged I was on my way with cash.

Had to throw it in my trunk on it's side for the 30 minute drive home.

Threw it on the ground and it luckily hadn't leaked all over my trunk.

Kicked it once and rode it 10 miles without doing anything to it.

Thus far I've tackled a few issues

1. Missing petcock cover
Found an STL file and printed a new one

2. Horn?
Tried it and it worked fine lol

3. Turn signals
Once it ran for a bit and charged the battery they started to work with the exception of the left front. Ended up being a bad connection for the ground wire that I cleaned with a wire brush

4. Battery
Someone had hacked the cable ends and put a much smaller 12v battery in there with spade connections. I ordered a $20 stock battery on Amazon and crimped new ring terminals on the cables.

5. Starter
I thought the issue might have been the too small battery or maybe the previous owner didn't know to hold the brake in but neither got the starter going. Then I noticed a disconnected plug under the seat. It was where the starter button wires connected to the harness. Plugged it back in and the starter works fine.

6. Tuneup
Ordered an air filter and plug on Amazon for $15. Good thing I did, the original filter ended up being covered in mouse poo poo and chewed up in spots, plug was nasty AF.

7. Mirrors
Ordered the cheapest set on Amazon for ~$7. They are gold, plastic, hideous and perfect. :discourse:

To do list:

1. Carb
Bike runs but weeps a bit of gas and I think the electric choke is stuck on. I just ordered a Chinese repro for $30 rather than mess with rebuilding.

2. Tires
The ones on it are old and pretty bald and do need replacement. Stock size is 2.50-10 so I think it'll be around $80 to get new tires and tubes.

3. Title
I'm in Illinois but Bike was last plated in WI in 2008 so as I understand it I'm best off just applying for a Vermont plate and then transferring that to IL to get a fresh title. Any goons have tips or live in Vermont?

Once I get that sorted I'd like to replace some missing/broken nuts bolts, replace the brake shoes, replace the drive belt and eventually paint it up full 80s vaporwave/jazz cup style.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 16, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah just do the Vermont title. It’s easy and only takes a week or two.

Also sprees are blessed as gently caress because every single one of them has spent their life being absolutely wrung out to 100% all the time and generally abused and they just keep going forever.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I owned two of those Sprees and they were unkillable. South Dakota is another option for re-titling, there are videos on Youtube that explain the process. Both SD and Vermont seem perfectly OK with providing this service to generate some extra revenue.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

I owned two of those Sprees and they were unkillable. South Dakota is another option for re-titling, there are videos on Youtube that explain the process. Both SD and Vermont seem perfectly OK with providing this service to generate some extra revenue.

Yeah, they're even up front about it here.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/faq

Do I need a Vermont license to register a vehicle in Vermont?
No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

Super easy to do, just make sure you fill out all the paperwork.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

my turn in the barrel posted:

I saw a $100 86 Honda Spree
I feel very aggrieved on this subject so I hope I'm not being a dick to you unjustly, but please be decent to that bike.

Like:

quote:

paint it up full 80s vaporwave/jazz cup style.
Maybe don't do that?

But yes rebuild all the parts that are worn out and replace all the missing screws etc, please. Those are great little bikes and absolutely no one -- like literally not a single person on earth except one obsessive weirdo on reddit -- treats them with any care or respect. Every single one I've ever seen was owned exclusively by high school and college bros with no consciousness of the value of any living being or object or intellectual ideal outside of their own physical pleasure on any given evening. The bikes are neglected and beat to gently caress and thrown out. Everyone who's ever owned one treated it like a throwaway piece of poo poo. I see it so much it gets to me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also sprees are blessed as gently caress because every single one of them has spent their life being absolutely wrung out to 100% all the time and generally abused and they just keep going forever.
This is really not my experience, in the context of a shop anyway. A majority of the Sprees I see are completely hosed, like no compression in the engine, or with major chassis or electrical issues, bent and missing many parts, totaled several times over. Razzes too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, people with running sprees don’t bring them to a shop, but yeah, I get where you’re coming from.

I’ve had good luck with them in general, but to your point, I think if you just do sick burnouts with them 24/7 or treat them like they are dirt bikes, they probably don’t stand up to that stuff.

Either way, people view Sprees as disposable when they’re actually really good bikes, and you’re right, they don’t get the respect they deserve.

They are pure distilled 80’s Honda: basic, no frills, reliable transportation

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I feel very aggrieved on this subject so I hope I'm not being a dick to you unjustly, but please be decent to that bike.

Like:

Maybe don't do that?

But yes rebuild all the parts that are worn out and replace all the missing screws etc, please. Those are great little bikes and absolutely no one -- like literally not a single person on earth except one obsessive weirdo on reddit -- treats them with any care or respect. Every single one I've ever seen was owned exclusively by high school and college bros with no consciousness of the value of any living being or object or intellectual ideal outside of their own physical pleasure on any given evening. The bikes are neglected and beat to gently caress and thrown out. Everyone who's ever owned one treated it like a throwaway piece of poo poo. I see it so much it gets to me.

This is really not my experience, in the context of a shop anyway. A majority of the Sprees I see are completely hosed, like no compression in the engine, or with major chassis or electrical issues, bent and missing many parts, totaled several times over. Razzes too.

If you read my post I have already fixed most things on the spree with the intent of getting it dependable and roadworthy.

As far as the paint job, the pastic panels are all scratched to hell and the wheels are rusty so it needs paint anyways. All of my Harleys are Blacked out so going with a Japanese Pax/Spree Pink/teal/white paint scheme would add a bit of variety in my garage.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 20, 2022

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I know it's not a Spree but the Tact Courreges had some pretty stylish colour schemes.
https://www.bikebros.co.jp/catalog/1/127_7/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You could consider vinyl wrap, so it's reversible, but scratched surfaces might mean it doesn't go down well.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It is unironically cool and good to ride a scooter as fast as you can while you listen to Immigrant Song.

(usually about 35 mph, depending on traffic)

It is equally cool and good to ride a Harley at very reasonable speeds listening to the most twee poo poo you can stand.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 22, 2022

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
How interchangable are center stands? I just got my first scooter, an Niu MQI GT Evo, and the one thing that's driving me nuts about it is that the center stand sticks out oddly far and scrapes really easily. Pretty much every riding review has had the same experience. I'd like to replace it but so far as I can tell Niu doesn't have options for that particular part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are generally built specifically for the frame that they’re mounted to and are not interchangeable between models, let alone brands.

You will occasionally see aftermarket center stands but 99% of the time those are to add a center stand to a bike that didn’t come with one, and even then they’re built to fit a certain models frame and nothing else

You actually may be in some luck since it’s a Chinese bike and those tend to copy parts nearly exactly, but you’d have to figure out by trial and error if there is another bike out there that could be a donor, since I’m assuming you’ve already scoured forums and whatnot for that info.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I expect you'd need to modify it rather than finding another one to swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Scooter Cannonball goes a year from now. Looks pretty hardcore, I didn't understand what a fast pace they were running until recently. 8 days cross country, 350-460 miles per day with no rest days. And through the southwest in June. That's pretty serious on anything under 200cc. Although I notice that an awful lot of the entries are over 200cc. Only two vintage that I can see, which is kinda a letdown.

https://scootercannonball.com/riders

Only registered members can see post attachments!