Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

This makes complete sense, thank you. What gets me, though, is until the final shot of the place frozen, what he's doing is pictured as "fire that is cold", rather than "I can do colder ice", which is where it's confusing.

I had to reread 351 and 352 a few times, but I think the move he's using on page 4-5 is actually a continuation of Flashfire Fist: Phosphor from the ending of 351. Judging from what Dabi says on page 6, it looks like he might've followed up on the direct thrust-strike of Phosphor (which seems to be simultaneously combining a fire and ice blast to make explosions) with Coldflame's Pale Blade to cool him down. CPB looks almost like a blast of snow/cold rather than cold fire, when you compare the art on 4-5 to Dabi's fire on pg6 and pg8-9. Hard to really tell.

Shoto's internal thermoregulation then fizzles right as Dabi's winding up to blast him again (with Hell Spider, I think, but emanating from the ground instead of from his body), but Endeavor's sidekicks pop up again to soak/redirect the heat and buy him enough time to reactivate Icebound Crash and unleash Great Glacial Aegir which finally overwhelms Dabi's fire and freezes him.

This is probably something that the anime will make a lot clearer what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think it would have been much clearer without the "cold fire" effect, which just confuses things (and is frankly just silly). But what I still don't get at all is what's going on with Burnin' and Endeavor's other sidekicks. Did they just facetank a blast from Dabi so it didn't hit Shoto?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Staltran posted:

I think it would have been much clearer without the "cold fire" effect, which just confuses things (and is frankly just silly). But what I still don't get at all is what's going on with Burnin' and Endeavor's other sidekicks. Did they just facetank a blast from Dabi so it didn't hit Shoto?

The sidekicks have been using their quirks to block the fire and cover Shoto the whole fight and they finally got overwhelmed.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Something thats cool about this fight is that Dabi is the one who's just copying Endeavor's moves because he's stuck in the mindset of proving he isn't the Failure. Meanwhile, Shoto refused to play the game of 'who's the worthier Endeavor successor' and created his own moves based on his own unique strengths, which are basically the complete opposite of how Endeavor wanted him to use his quirk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

This makes complete sense, thank you. What gets me, though, is until the final shot of the place frozen, what he's doing is pictured as "fire that is cold", rather than "I can do colder ice", which is where it's confusing.

He's attempting to use the same basic idea behind the Flashfire Fist. It's weirdly explained but he's intentionally using the same technique as that so he's thinking of it as "what if I use this technique with my cold powers" instead of "What if I make things cold."

It's very much a "what is flying but falling with style" thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even with the explanation I still don't see it, so until the anime makes it more obvious I'll just say he's a waterbender and leave it at that. Cause that's what happens when you combine ice and fire? That's what Endeavor was going for, right???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Even with the explanation I still don't see it, so until the anime makes it more obvious I'll just say he's a waterbender and leave it at that. Cause that's what happens when you combine ice and fire? That's what Endeavor was going for, right???

Not quite.

Endeavor's moves have a specific weakness in that they raise his body heat way too high. He has a lot of moves he can only use as 'finishers' because they basically risk him destroying himself. His idea of the Perfected Flashfire Fist (for lack of a better term) would one that can go beyond what he can do because the person's ice quirk can keep them cooled down long beyond what Endeavor could do. Even with his natural immunity to fire he has limits and he can go beyond (lol) his own limits.

Dabi can do higher power flames that Endeavor but has a lower tolerance because he inherited his mother's resistance to cold instead. So he can do the Flashfire Fist as well but in doing so he'll destroy his body far worse than Endeavor will. Dabi is so dangerous because he'll gladly self-immolate if it means he gets his goal.

Shoto in theory can do what Endeavor wants and make the prefect Flashfire Fist, one that is stronger than Dabi or Endeavor could ever do and do it without risking himself anywhere as much. His only real limit is how much his ice quirk can cool him.

His new move is the reverse. He's pushing his COLD powers to the absolute limit, well beyond what they should be able to do with his natural resistance to ice. However now he's using his fire powers to keep himself warm enough that he can go past his limits in the same way as a 'perfect' Flashfire Fist would work but with ice powers instead. The 'cold fire' is that he's keeping himself warm with fire while going cold beyond cold.

He could fight Dabi with fire but Dabi's already burning himself out and Shoto doesn't want to kill him. So instead of using more fire, he uses ice which should cool Dabi the gently caress down, and because Shoto can use his fire to keep himself healthy while pushing his quirk past its limits, he can get way loving colder than Dabi can get hot.

He isn't melting the ice. He's reaching a level of cold so cold that he'd probably freeze himself solid if he did it, and his fire quirk isn't melting the ice, it's just barely keeping his body warm enough that he can go that cold without dying. He's also rejecting his father's desire for hotter fire so he could be more effective at defeating people and instead using his technique in a desperate attempt to avoid killing his brother. (and thus symbolically subsuming his father's fire with his mother's ice.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 16, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think it’s pretty neat. Coolest thing Shoto has ever done

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Shoto has always been the coolest character in the series :dadjoke:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Todorokis are the best part of the manga at this point, tbh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have no strong opinions about this chapter. It was a chapter that involved Dabi being dunked on.

hatty posted:

Coolest thing Shoto has ever done

:argh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Dabi can do higher power flames that Endeavor but has a lower tolerance because he inherited his mother's resistance to cold instead.

ImpAtom posted:

So instead of using more fire, he uses ice which should cool Dabi the gently caress down, and because Shoto can use his fire to keep himself healthy while pushing his quirk past its limits, he can get way loving colder than Dabi can get hot.

:raise:
This could be a complication...

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Agreed with what ImpAtom said. I like how, thematically, this is Shoto once again forging his own path while simultaneously flipping the bird at Endeavor's plan of having Shoto perfect the Flashfire Fist. There's a positive message there that just because you had a traumatic past doesn't mean you can't find something good from it and be able to reclaim it for yourself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As long as you're a genetically perfect ubermensch who has the physical ability to do so without destroying yourself. :v:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

The Todorokis are the best part of the manga at this point, tbh.
I don't know why the best-written characters in this series are the fiery assholes, but it is what it is.

I really like the panel where Dabi is on all fours and his body is falling apart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

:raise:
This could be a complication...

I mean I assume it is the point. He will have trouble flaming on but won't die as easily.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Supersonic Shine posted:

I really like the panel where Dabi is on all fours and his body is falling apart.

It reminds me of some shots of Ohma the God-Warrior from the Nausicaa manga, and I wonder if that was intentional.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So there's a new MHA gacha game and it's being released in English as My Hero Ultra Impact....why do they keep calling it My Hero....

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2282/my-hero-academia-chapter-353

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

oh....huh. kinda thought the pacing of that would be different. and definitely wasn't expecting two entirely new villains out of nowhere, lmao. Makes me think that we haven't seen the last of Dabi, given the glowing light in his chest, and if that's not the case then frankly I really do not get what this manga is going for at this point.

e: or rather, I guess I do get what it's going for, but that seems like a lot of narrative momentum to burn off (ha) so soon. Dabi is easily the most interesting villain left and shuffling him offstage in exchange for random filler chumps for Kirishima and Mina and Yuga and Fatgum(??) to fight is deflating.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 20, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, that sure was a chapter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Will Mina finally get to do something or is she going to get saved by Kirishima again?

Also, the gently caress did All For One do to Spinner? He's a giant now.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How the gently caress is Dabi still alive

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I know Dabi is a literal bad guy but by this point in the story he's ready to self-immolate in the process of killing like 2 very specific people. Was he really so important to the plan that everyone had to immediately/urgently know about him being defeated?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shere posted:

I know Dabi is a literal bad guy but by this point in the story he's ready to self-immolate in the process of killing like 2 very specific people. Was he really so important to the plan that everyone had to immediately/urgently know about him being defeated?

It's funny to imagine them sending people around to loudspeaker the battlefield every time any villain at all is defeated.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Given the glowing light in his chest somehow I don't think the guy named after cremation flames is done burning.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

He's probably the most well known villain behind Shigaraki and All For One because of his broadcast across the country during the war arc and his family.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Given the glowing light in his chest somehow I don't think the guy named after cremation flames is done burning.

Some people seem to think he's going to somehow regenerate because his quirk was really Phoenix or something. I have no clue where they are getting this from other than pure fanboyism of the character.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nephthys posted:

Some people seem to think he's going to somehow regenerate because his quirk was really Phoenix or something. I have no clue where they are getting this from other than pure fanboyism of the character.

He's either going to suicide bomb to try to take out Shoto (and everyone else in the vicinity), or it'll turn out that his compulsion to self-burn despite everyone telling him not to is actually part of his Quirk (kinda like Toga's compulsion to drink blood) and Dabi's reborn as a baby.

edit: Japanese-knowers, is the sound effect on Dabi's chest "Ki-i-i...", meant to be ticking onomatopoeia?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 20, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

Will Mina finally get to do something or is she going to get saved by Kirishima again?

The focus on her reaction when Kirishima drops in from... wherever he was makes me think that he's absolutely going to take a hit protecting her or something.

e: Do not confuse this with me thinking that she'll get to do something, because even if what I predicted happens I think the chances of that are fairly low

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2022

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I thought a tear drop was falling from Dabi's eye

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I thought a tear drop was falling from Dabi's eye

By his own admission he shouldn't have tear ducts

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Reaction shots: the chapter

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I mean fanboyism has redirected the story before several times

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

I mean fanboyism has redirected the story before several times

Sure, but unless Endeavor x Hawks is a hell of lot more real than anyone guessed this just doesn't make sense for his quirk.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Nephthys posted:

Sure, but unless Endeavor x Hawks is a hell of lot more real than anyone guessed this just doesn't make sense for his quirk.

I mean why not?

Fire guy doing fire guy things like resurrecting like a Phoenix makes sense to me. It's a variation on the theme which is exactly what the desired effect was.

Whether it's DUMB or not is a different matter entirely, but I think it makes sense.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think the bigger issue with that theory is explaining why the regeneration didn't activate when he burt himself to a crisp on that hill. And of course that it seems to be based on absolutely nothing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Staltran posted:

I think the bigger issue with that theory is explaining why the regeneration didn't activate when he burt himself to a crisp on that hill. And of course that it seems to be based on absolutely nothing.
Answer: bro didn't commit to the bit, and if he had he'd have been reborn then

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Staltran posted:

Quirks have been shown to evolve over time, including his. Plus, almost killing yourself with your fire isn't the same as actually doing so, so maybe it only happens when he properly dies. Like all other phoenixes.

People want their favorite characters to stick around, so of course they're gonna grasp at straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Quirks are supposed to be logically consistent, you don't get new powers because they're thematically linked to your existing ones. Toga can't fly and shoot eye lasers just because she drinks blood like a vampire. Spinner can't breathe fire because a dragon is a kind of lizard. Dabi inherited his flame quirk from his dad and his body is suited to cold like his mum. Neither has anything to do with regeneration or resurrection or a mythical fire bird in any way. If he does do something like that it would need to be an entirely new quirk that he just pulls out of his grilled rear end for no reason.