Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trickjaw posted:

is insomnia essentialy linked to depression? I haven't slept this week.

Yeah, insomnia and depression go hand in hand. Sorry for your troubles comrade, I hope you can find a way to get some decent rest because it loving sucks being knackered even at the best of times, nevermind when you're struggling with the crush of depression.

e; US Route 219 runs from New York to Virginia.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Only Kindness posted:

What are they gonna do? Fire you? Sue you for four weeks of supermarket worker pay (and that's even assuming you were paid in advance)? What would be the remedy, legal or otherwise? You have to come back and work another four weeks, long after you already left?

So yes, you can just walk. Fill yer boots.

All this is modulo the circumstances of course. If you're some big actor or name-brand C-suite wanker with all sorts of triggers and penalties in your contract then yes, there might be a problem, but if you're like 99.9% of people in neoliberal work hell, then yes, just go. And it works the opposite if it's the company that wants to let you go: make sure you get your gardening leave, PILON, etc.

If I recall correctly they can sue you for additional costs of replacing you short term. So if you're earning £10/hour, and they can replace you immediately with someone else earning the same, they can't sue you. But if they have to get an agency worker in who's earning £20/hour they can sue you for that additional £10*however long they work for.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Trickjaw posted:

Yes, linked both ways! https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/depression-and-sleep-understanding-the-connection

quote:

People with insomnia, for example, may have a tenfold higher risk of developing depression than people who get a good night’s sleep. And among people with depression, 75 percent have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.

So, yeah sorry. :(

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There are ways to get out of legal notice periods, and that's to simply be enough of a pain in the arse that they'll just send you home. You could simply just refuse to do any actual work while being at work. Management hate dissent in the workforce, as that could spread to other employees.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Trickjaw posted:

Oh yes. Most certainly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Don’t refuse to do work, start organising and doing union work instead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

If I recall correctly they can sue you for additional costs of replacing you short term. So if you're earning £10/hour, and they can replace you immediately with someone else earning the same, they can't sue you. But if they have to get an agency worker in who's earning £20/hour they can sue you for that additional £10*however long they work for.

Sueing people isn't free though. Unless they're feeling vindictive it'd take quite a lot of that agency worker time before it'd be worth it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Thanks, guys. I was hoping it was my anaemia, as my surgery refuses to give me a booster of b12 until the day after three months since the last one... but I've been here before. Nothing like having your brain whiring away at 4 am whilst you are so tired you can't fight off the doubts. At least I have you all.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Trickjaw posted:

I feel you, friend. I've been getting the restless legs non stop recently to add to my sleeping/brain troubles. Have a feeling the meds are causing it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I found playing sounds of rain helped distract my brain without requiring the mental engagement that keep my brain spinning.

On the plus side it seems that while it's not as good as sleep, lying down with your eyes closed at least confers some of the benefits so while it's annoying to lie in bed it's at least not the "oh poo poo oh gently caress I can't sleep I'm gonna fall asleep at work tomorrow" scenario I used to fear it was.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I haven’t been able to reliably fall asleep without melatonin and/or glycine for years now

It’s fine though, I’m sure it’s fine

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

TACD posted:

I haven’t been able to reliably fall asleep without melatonin and/or glycine for years now

It’s fine though, I’m sure it’s fine

I got a script for melatonin a couple of months ago after having crippling insomnia since last autumn. Stuff’s bloody magic, and I now only need to use it a couple of times a week to keep things on track.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Unfixable nail-in-the-tyre this morning, so I get the joy of buying a new pair of fronts. At least they were fairly close to needing to be replaced anyway so it's not a newish tyre in the bin

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Trickjaw posted:

Thanks, guys. I was hoping it was my anaemia, as my surgery refuses to give me a booster of b12 until the day after three months since the last one... but I've been here before. Nothing like having your brain whiring away at 4 am whilst you are so tired you can't fight off the doubts. At least I have you all.

Take care of yourself Trickjaw. Depression sometimes causes me to have too much sleep as well, if we can somehow synthesise the two we can create dialectic sleep :eng101:

I found that meditation really helped me when I was anxious or couldn't sleep, focusing on your breathing and then telling each part of your body to go to sleep in turn at the very least may help you relax, even if it doesn't send you to sleep.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I discovered that I can get OpenXCom running on my sons old & unused Kindle fire.
My toilet times are going to go through the roof.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

I got a script for melatonin a couple of months ago after having crippling insomnia since last autumn. Stuff’s bloody magic, and I now only need to use it a couple of times a week to keep things on track.
Yeah melatonin's incredible, but sometime in the past year or two it's become impossible to get on eBay and I haven't been able to face the gauntlet of trying to make a doctor's appointment so they can fob me off with "hAvE yOU TrieD turniNG yOur PhONe OFF AT bedTiME?"

Glycine knocks me out and seems to be a bit better than diphenhydramine for grogginess but I think the next step is probably hunting through darkness markets for melatonin, which feels like some real banal cyberpunk dystopia poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can still get it from supplement stores of the "amino acids and ox gallbladder extract" kind. Yes you're overpaying for it, but at least you won't find that all your bitcoins have been funged into monkey pictures.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Unfixable nail-in-the-tyre this morning, so I get the joy of buying a new pair of fronts.

I recommend Y-fronts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

Yeah melatonin's incredible, but sometime in the past year or two it's become impossible to get on eBay and I haven't been able to face the gauntlet of trying to make a doctor's appointment so they can fob me off with "hAvE yOU TrieD turniNG yOur PhONe OFF AT bedTiME?"

Glycine knocks me out and seems to be a bit better than diphenhydramine for grogginess but I think the next step is probably hunting through darkness markets for melatonin, which feels like some real banal cyberpunk dystopia poo poo.

My missus stocks up on beaucoup melatonin regularly when we visit her people in the States.

It's great for resetting jetlag and quashing occasional bouts of insomnia, but I'm one of the people that gets incredibly vivid and disturbing dreams off it so I take a baby 3mg dose with caution

Dependency can be a problem as well, so be judicious

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Glycine huh? I've had the doctor do the phone poo poo when I asked about melatonin and just medicated myself with alcohol instead. Falling asleep's great but the hangover in the morning and weight on the torso not so much.

How long do glycine tablets take to kick in?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

My missus stocks up on beaucoup melatonin regularly when we visit her people in the States.

It's great for resetting jetlag and quashing occasional bouts of insomnia, but I'm one of the people that gets incredibly vivid and disturbing dreams off it so I take a baby 3mg dose with caution

Same, it's a silver bullet that sadly doesn't work well for me at all

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61511890

Am I becoming a weird "political correctness gone mad" old man as I age or is some of the proposals here a bit odd?

I get persistent cat calling but staring?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mega Comrade posted:

Am I becoming a weird "political correctness gone mad" old man as I age or is some of the proposals here a bit odd?

Cheer up it might never happen luv

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Telling a stranger to smile is not a crime lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

You can still get it from supplement stores of the "amino acids and ox gallbladder extract" kind. Yes you're overpaying for it, but at least you won't find that all your bitcoins have been funged into monkey pictures.
Are you sure? On Holland & Barrett and a couple others that came up on Google, searching for "melatonin" brings up 5HTP tablets and wishy-washy capsules with vitamins and fairy kisses in them, but nothing with actual melatonin that I can see.

Failed Imagineer posted:

On the one hand lol I was taking it almost daily for many years so yeah probably dependant, but I long ago gave up trying to negotiate this sort of thing with my body. I'm in bed, lying down, you keep bitching that sleep is important so get on with it already. (Also suspect I have undiagnosed DSPD but that's just been a fact of life since I was a teenager so also doesn't seem worth fighting through the health service to get made "official".)

On the other hand, 3mg was the dose I'd usually take — what's a non-baby dose? I remember reading that large doses can actually have a contrary effect and impair sleep, though I can't remember the provenance of that info offhand.

Tesseraction posted:

Glycine huh? I've had the doctor do the phone poo poo when I asked about melatonin and just medicated myself with alcohol instead. Falling asleep's great but the hangover in the morning and weight on the torso not so much.

How long do glycine tablets take to kick in?
I try to take them about an hour or so before I go to bed, though I'm starting to think 90 minutes might be better for me. While melatonin just makes me feel really sleepy and makes getting to sleep much easier, glycine makes me feel more drowsy and heavy (similar to diphenhydramine but not as severe) and "knocks me out" in a way that melatonin doesn't. Feeling groggy in the morning isn't great but again it's much better than the diphenhydramine grogginess and way better than just being awake until 5AM tossing and turning and keeping my partner awake as well.

Information online seems to recommend doses of between 3–5g but I find 1 or 2 works fine for me 🤷🏻

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TACD posted:

Are you sure? On Holland & Barrett and a couple others that came up on Google, searching for "melatonin" brings up 5HTP tablets and wishy-washy capsules with vitamins and fairy kisses in them, but nothing with actual melatonin that I can see.

Ones that look like UK stores but ship from outside the UK sell it. Also there's those places that offer "web consultation" where you fill in a survey re your symptoms as part of buying the product and then they say they review and prescribe what you've requested, but I've never tried those sites so dunno if they're legit.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
If you want to buy melatonin within the UK, you need a prescription, and there are a dozen online pharmacies with doctors who will sign off on it after you tick some boxes if your GP won't play ball

The other option is grey market- while you can't buy it in the UK legally without a prescription, there's nothing stopping you buying it in a european or yank online health food shop and shipping it in, perfectly legal to possess and take it, provided you jump the right hoops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I mean the more online euro ones that are still slightly sus but at least you can use paypal instead of dogecoin alt so there's a chance of reversing the charge if it never arrives.

Mega Comrade posted:

It's like all those laws that criminalize causing alarm or nuisance. The idea is that it only applies if you're such a dick about it that someone wants to press charges, which in society usually rules out the innocent "staring at a person's funny tshirt" misunderstandings.

In practice in a hierarchical society such as ours it also gets used to harass homeless people, BAME, etc. but that's no reason to believe the MRA "can't even look at a woman these days feminazis rule the courts" takes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

On the other hand, 3mg was the dose I'd usually take — what's a non-baby dose? I remember reading that large doses can actually have a contrary effect and impair sleep, though I can't remember the provenance of that info offhand.

Information online seems to recommend doses of between 3–5g but I find 1 or 2 works fine for me 🤷🏻

My missus takes 10mg sometimes, and apparently sleeps just fine with it. I'm definitely not that hardcore, my brain seems pretty sensitive to any kind of chemical intervention despite the fact that I'm a Tall Lad.

3-5g is definitely too much though, that would send you into the hell dimension from Event Horizon/Warhammer

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guavanaut posted:

In practice in a hierarchical society such as ours it also gets used to harass homeless people, BAME, etc. but that's no reason to believe the MRA "can't even look at a woman these days feminazis rule the courts" takes.

My first thought of concern was some people with autism who stare. I had a friend at uni who did it, often he wasn't even taking in what he was looking at, his eyes would just lock to something and he didn't realise he was doing it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It should be. Punishable by death.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hm alright, I'll keep hunting around online for my sleep drug habit then, cheers. I have a feeling I tried going the "online doctor" prescription route before and the price was easily 10× what I used to pay on eBay and I balked, hopefully I can find something better.

Failed Imagineer posted:

3-5g is definitely too much though, that would send you into the hell dimension from Event Horizon/Warhammer
Oh yeah to be clear the 3–5 gram amount is for glycine, not melatonin. They're fairly chonky capsules.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think the appropriate legal solution for that would be, if a stranger comes up to you and asks you to smile you are legally allowed, nay obligated, to punch them in the face. One firm hit as hard as you can go, no repercusisons, hitting back is severely punished by the fullest extent of the law. Maybe you can also nominate a friend if you don't think you have a sufficient swing to send the message. An effective deterrent, and will do much, much more to improve a frowning woman's mood than smiling on demand of some dickhead would.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mega Comrade posted:

Being on a street should be the crime.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Staring: ^^^ (autism post) that OR could be someone blind OR
as happened once when I was working for the previously mentioned rail company: one of my team's mother was on a train and there were 3 teenage girls sat opposite her.
The one in the middle was staring non-stop and the mother was feeling rather unnerved.
Anyway, train came to a stop and everyone was told to stay on the train. Police got on.
The two girls either side of the staring one had murdered the staring one and she was actually dead with her eyes open.
IIRC it was one of the trains in the near-London Kent area.

OR - someone in a day dream, unfocussed but looking in your direction.
OR - you think you know the person and are staring at them to try and figure out if you do or where from.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Angepain posted:

I think the appropriate legal solution for that would be, if a stranger comes up to you and asks you to smile you are legally allowed, nay obligated, to punch them in the face. One firm hit as hard as you can go, no repercusisons, hitting back is severely punished by the fullest extent of the law. Maybe you can also nominate a friend if you don't think you have a sufficient swing to send the message. An effective deterrent, and will do much, much more to improve a frowning woman's mood than smiling on demand of some dickhead would.

Nah sorry that's a bit much

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah sorry that's a bit much

If you're not happy about my solution maybe you should just smile more, babe

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

Spending journeys on public transport with a random guy staring at them creepily/lasciviously the entire time is a regular part of life for a lot of women I know. And them objecting to it and asking someone to stop can lead to the same kind of abuse or assumption that it's an invitation to conversation/flirting that happens if they respond when some creeper starts on the "just smile, love" type thing. As a guy, I think a useful part of these proposals is to actually try and get across that these things can actually be unpleasant and not, in fact, harmless.

But it'll just get culture warred away since ageing Tories are the type who do stare and want women to smile and think it's harmless so all a lot of fuss over nothing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Angepain posted:

If you're not happy about my solution maybe you should just smile more, babe

Can't fit in a smile between all the laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The two girls either side of the staring one had murdered the staring one and she was actually dead with her eyes open.
IIRC it was one of the trains in the near-London Kent area.

:wtc:

Gonna need some news-based confirmation on this one