Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do you have a link to your stream?

Whoops, wasn't trying to advertise or anything. I have been crawling through a NG++ playthrough over the past month, and after streaming Mario Maker 2, so it's pretty disjointed, unfortunately.

https://www.twitch.tv/highlifelowlife

But yeah, I used it as a title a few times, lol:

Prowler fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Does the ratio of cutscenes to fights ever change past the demo portion? The combat seems decent enough but the long series of cutscenes with repetitive writing between them are kind of boring me, it seems like a lot more volume of cutscenes between fights than I remember games like FFT/Tactics Ogre having.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The cutscene length reduces but only slightly, I think going in you need to be prepared for it being a major part of the experience.
When optional side stories come in, sometimes the gap between combat sections get even longer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Item Getter posted:

Does the ratio of cutscenes to fights ever change past the demo portion? The combat seems decent enough but the long series of cutscenes with repetitive writing between them are kind of boring me, it seems like a lot more volume of cutscenes between fights than I remember games like FFT/Tactics Ogre having.

I don't know how long the demo goes, but the story is very frontloaded, with huge amounts of exposition within the first few chapters.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kind of wish I hadn’t known about the true ending since I managed to pull it off and now I don’t want to replay what I consider to be worse endings.

Good game, will happily play TS2 down the line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

laughing and thinking about that time Corentin invented never-melting ice, solving food preservation forever and dramatically reducing the importance of salt as a preservative, and all he can think about is how it can't be used to replace iron in weaponsmithing. And then Erador learns about it and all he can think about is how this means his drinks will stay cold indefinitely, with only the barest mention of food preservation, in the middle of a war being fought over an amount of salt that, in other scenes, is specifically talked about for its potential to allow for food preservation

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

laughing and thinking about that time Corentin invented never-melting ice, solving food preservation forever and dramatically reducing the importance of salt as a preservative, and all he can think about is how it can't be used to replace iron in weaponsmithing. And then Erador learns about it and all he can think about is how this means his drinks will stay cold indefinitely, with only the barest mention of food preservation, in the middle of a war being fought over an amount of salt that, in other scenes, is specifically talked about for its potential to allow for food preservation

Wow, you totally forgot that salt can be used in bombs too!!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, on the Benedict route, one of the bombshells Benny drops on Gustadolph is that salt can be used to preserve food, which blows Gustadolph's mind so frickin' much that he decides to enter a real alliance instead of immediately betraying you when he gets the chance. Food preservation is not a known technology in Norzelia.

Which does raise the question of why salt is so important that it defines the continent. You get a lot of incidental dialogue that it is a vital resource, but I don't think anyone ever mentions a use for it that isn't a groundbreaking scientific discovery, other than using it as a spice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, on the Benedict route, one of the bombshells Benny drops on Gustadolph is that salt can be used to preserve food, which blows Gustadolph's mind so frickin' much that he decides to enter a real alliance instead of immediately betraying you when he gets the chance. Food preservation is not a known technology in Norzelia.

Which does raise the question of why salt is so important that it defines the continent. You get a lot of incidental dialogue that it is a vital resource, but I don't think anyone ever mentions a use for it that isn't a groundbreaking scientific discovery, other than using it as a spice.

I think there's a slight misunderstanding of how salt works that's core to the game's writing. Salt is necessary to sustain life, and that's the framing they use for why salt is important. The human body does need a certain amount of sodium to survive, but it's a pretty small amount, little enough that you can get it naturally from a lot of different foods. What salt is really important for, especially at the tech level we see in Triangle Strategy, is food preservation. Flavor, too, but the big thing is preservation. So I was surprised when the idea of using salt to preserve food was presented as a huge breakthrough.

That is carried through in the rest of the setting, though. It makes sense people wouldn't have explored far outside of Norzelia if they just have no idea they can preserve food for the journey, for example, and that one of the core issues is that people outside of Hyzante just don't have enough salt to use as a preservative.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 13, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Game is $10 off on Amazon

https://twitter.com/nineverything/status/1525230493515534336?s=21&t=oBLtISOAr9qRn-3Vkmx_SA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doing my second playthrough now, up to Chapter 9. I'm impressed by how well the story can take two really different paths and end up bending them towards converging. This time I gave up Roland instead of protecting him, and seeing the different way the game approaches the "do you smuggle salt for Sorsley?" choice is cool. Also, I had no idea Cordelia was a badass, busting Roland out of jail like that.

Also it's still wild to me that everyone falls for the "fake corpse made unidentifiable and dressed as Roland" ploy. It seems like such an obvious trick to play.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 14, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it makes a bit more sense in the give up Roland route, since Wolffort's built up the reputation of being ruthless opportunists, so backstabbing Roland seems quite in character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

True, it does make a bit more sense there.

Also, gameplay-related question: any reason not to just sell any Medals of Bravery I get once everyone's at least in their veteran class? I'm pretty sure any recruits I can get from here on out are going to come as veteran rank already.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Harrow posted:

True, it does make a bit more sense there.

Also, gameplay-related question: any reason not to just sell any Medals of Bravery I get once everyone's at least in their veteran class? I'm pretty sure any recruits I can get from here on out are going to come as veteran rank already.

As far as I know, yes, everyone comes as vet or later once you hit a certain point in the story during your first run. I sold mine, they're worth quite a bit (and the first time I got + conviction for selling stuff).

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Also it's still wild to me that everyone falls for the "fake corpse made unidentifiable and dressed as Roland" ploy. It seems like such an obvious trick to play.

I think the way they want it to be hand waved if you don't hand over Roland is that Gustadolph honestly is done giving a poo poo about Wolfort and wants to turn his attention towards dealing with Hyzante. Especially since if I remember right I think Avlora tries to get him to be suspicious and he just doesn't care.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH the scene actually reads weirder to me when you give up Roland, because ostensibly no one knew that he returned to Castle Wolffort after his escape. Gustadolph has no particular reason to think that the Wolfforts are involved in his death at all, as opposed to some rando offing him while he was on the run. Although I guess this still works under the interpretation that Gustadolph is just throwing out whatever bullshit will satisfy the rest of the room in order to focus on more important things.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harrow posted:

I think there's a slight misunderstanding of how salt works that's core to the game's writing. Salt is necessary to sustain life, and that's the framing they use for why salt is important. The human body does need a certain amount of sodium to survive, but it's a pretty small amount, little enough that you can get it naturally from a lot of different foods. What salt is really important for, especially at the tech level we see in Triangle Strategy, is food preservation. Flavor, too, but the big thing is preservation. So I was surprised when the idea of using salt to preserve food was presented as a huge breakthrough.

That is carried through in the rest of the setting, though. It makes sense people wouldn't have explored far outside of Norzelia if they just have no idea they can preserve food for the journey, for example, and that one of the core issues is that people outside of Hyzante just don't have enough salt to use as a preservative.

It's preservative nature is not a secret. Gustadolph is surprised Benedict knows about the Explosives part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's preservative nature is not a secret. Gustadolph is surprised Benedict knows about the Explosives part.

Maybe what I'm remembering is Dragan marveling at having enough salt to use it as a preservative, then. It was definitely treated as a big deal that they would be able to use salt as a preservative thanks to the salt deposits in the mines (not in the Benedict route scene but in Dragan's book he gives you) but it might've just been about the quantity and not one of Dragan's discoveries.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I kind of thought the discovery in the cave wasn't just going to be salt, as in sodium chloride, or those Himalayan-like salt rocks that the stuff we see in the game appears to be made from but rather niter(potassium nitrate), or as it's been called 'salt peter'. I wonder if there wasn't something lost in the translation because niter could be used as both a preservative and for gunpowder which made sense given that they were talking up Dragan's explosive knowledge. While the acquisition of salt(sodium chloride) could have destabilized the region given the economy of Hyzante enough that Aesfrost would make a play for it, it feels like the introduction of a more potent form of salt with regard to weaponry(and agriculture given the climates of both Hyzante and Aestfrost could take advantage of the fertilizer uses) would have pushed the situation to renewed warfare.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

The way Gustadolph reacts is that he's surprised that Benedict even knows that at all given the circumstances. Like yeah, salt in Norzelia can theoretically be used as a preservative, but no one other than Hyzante has the supply to actually use it for that purpose, hence why would anyone actually know this if they lived outside of Hyzante (and I would bet that the Saintly Seven kept this as one of their additional secrets).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not reading the thread due to spoilers since i'm still early in the game (just did the battle on the bridge from the first demo) but i have a question;

is grinding just supposed to be "lose battle until you're higher level"? i'm wondering because the game gives you a "recommended level" but as far as i can tell no actual way of leveling up beforehand.

as an example the current battle is "recommended level 11" but my highest level character is 10 and most are around 8-9

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pretty much yeah, you’re coming at most maps below the recommended level which defines the exp curve and lets you level up faster.

You’ll eventually get access to practice battles (immediately before or after the bridge battle, I don’t recall which, but you should have just unlocked the encampment), which is another option to earn exp.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The recommended level is more like a maximum level, I was usually slightly below it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's fine to go into battles a bit under the recommended level--it's very likely you'll lag behind what the game says is the "recommended level" for most of the game. The recommended level really means "your units will probably hit this level during this fight" more than anything. And if you lose a fight, being one or two levels below that recommended level probably isn't the cause.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally got this and finally had time to beat my first playthrough. It was pretty great and I'm eager to replay to see more choices and endings (and I hear there's a True Ending to be found as well).

My question right now though - is there an easy way to switch up what characters I'm using? I was hoping to try out people I didn't use in the previous playthrough but since enemy levels are now at endgame tier, I can't just swap out and start with the new folks. Is there anyway to do that other than grinding mock battles (which doesn't seem fun) or should I just resign myself to using the same team until I can recruit new people who are up to my level?

E: Prime example, I really wanted to use Roland this time since I'm gonna take the path where you don't turn him over, but he's still level 10 from where I stopped using him last time.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There’s no trick other than bringing the low level people into missions to catch them up. It’s not actually that bad though, you get massively boosted exp for doing anything when you’re below the recommended level, so they’ll gain a full level every time they use an item until they’re strong enough to fight for real.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah yeah that makes sense. I hadn't really thought about how much exp they'd get for being that underleveled. I'll run through the mock battles once to get em checked off again and then i'll pick some people to start bringing along to future fights.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Literally anything a character does if they're well below the recommended level (like -5 levels I think) will give them a full level of experience. You can just buy a bundle of healing pellets and have them eat one a turn.

You're gonna have to grind, but it's a really brief grind if it's just to bring one character up to speed, and it's honestly not that bad for bringing up a whole squad, either.

The easiest way to do it is to set the difficulty to Very Easy and do a couple mock battles, but I also did it in the first handful of story battles because they're the ones I'd already fought on my first playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a playthrough where they don't attempt to convince anyone at any of the votes? I'm curious what the "default" path through the story is if you just let undecided characters vote how they will.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a playthrough where they don't attempt to convince anyone at any of the votes? I'm curious what the "default" path through the story is if you just let undecided characters vote how they will.

I can't stop playing 3 houses and i blame you :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

I can't stop playing 3 houses and i blame you :getin:

:sickos:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question: I’m about to do my third playthrough, going to do Hard mode this time. What determines if you get the crown on the title screen? Do mock battles count or can I lower the difficulty to grind some money (since I’d also like to max out everyone’s weapon in NG++)? I’m seeing conflicting answers when I google it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got the new title screen with a crown on it after I beat the golden route. I did complete all of the available mock battles on hard in that run. I’m not sure if that’s related.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got the new title screen with a crown on it after I beat the golden route. I did complete all of the available mock battles on hard in that run. I’m not sure if that’s related.

Did you ever lower the difficulty to grind mock battles at any point?

The thing I'm confused about is I've seen people say they dropped the difficulty to Very Easy to grind in mock battles with no issue and got the crown, I've seen others say that changing the difficulty at any time disqualifies you. My working hypothesis is that you can grind a mock battle on non-Hard difficulties as long as you also complete it on Hard at least once, but I can't be sure.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

Did you ever lower the difficulty to grind mock battles at any point?

The thing I'm confused about is I've seen people say they dropped the difficulty to Very Easy to grind in mock battles with no issue and got the crown, I've seen others say that changing the difficulty at any time disqualifies you. My working hypothesis is that you can grind a mock battle on non-Hard difficulties as long as you also complete it on Hard at least once, but I can't be sure.

You get a crown next to the mock battle instead of a check mark if you beat it on hard. So maybe you just have to beat each one on hard at least once?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get a crown next to the mock battle instead of a check mark if you beat it on hard. So maybe you just have to beat each one on hard at least once?

From what I've found asking elsewhere, you can get the crown without doing any mock battles at all, so that reaffirms my guess that the ones you do complete need to be completed on hard at least once, but the ones you never attempt don't count.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm in the midst of the Golden Route and my god is it satisfying to obliterate 95% of Exharme's crew with the Wolffort traps then have a small child throw exploding rocks at him until he retreats

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've just recruited two characters whose abilities revolve around using items, but items are expensive and the game really isn't handing out a lot of money.

Is the idea that you'll grind mock battles for cash?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I've just recruited two characters whose abilities revolve around using items, but items are expensive and the game really isn't handing out a lot of money.

Is the idea that you'll grind mock battles for cash?

That's an option but I wouldn't say it's mandatory. Maybe in NG+ when you want to start upgrading more characters.

Those two characters are pretty interesting. One of them, Piccoletta, is useful even without items thanks to her Decoy ability, which can seriously mess with enemy AI. The other, Medina, is kind of a late bloomer. She's an item-based healer which, yeah, can get expensive, but eventually she gets an ability that lets her passively give TP to anyone she heals. This, combined with Double Items and the AoE healing items, is loving busted. Expensive, but busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

That's an option but I wouldn't say it's mandatory. Maybe in NG+ when you want to start upgrading more characters.

Oh yeah I meant like, specifically if you wish to use them. With the cost of buying upgrade materials, the cost of using those materials to upgrade characters, etc. it feels like there's just not enough money to use those abilities. Grinding mock battles seems cheesy but I guess it's part of the game. I've just been doing them once to get the checkmark but I guess with how the exp curve works I shouldn't be too worried about mock battles making my characters overleveled?

As a sidenote: I did discover how powerful that Decoy ability is just for distracting the enemy. Can't say I ever planned to bring an 8 year old clown girl to war but she's pretty powerful.