Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
probably not true, but my head canon is that the music fight was Elfman's idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

precision posted:

also, and it feels weird to say this about an MCU movie of all things, but i really think the first Strange movie should have had like, an entire extra 30 minutes up front where he plays Dr. House

I'm generally against making movies longer in this age of cinema, where it seems to be illegal to have a movie be less than 2 hours long, and the norm is usually 2 hours 30 minutes. So, as much fun as that sounds, adding 30 minutes to a comic book movie is gonna get a big no from me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTUfJjtEOY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah...hmmm. I've thought about it and Batman doesn't learn magic because he wants an excuse to hang out with Zatanna.

BTAS actually introduces Zatanna as having trained with her as Bruce Wayne learning stage magic, sleight of hand and escape artistry.

Generally magic in Marvel and DC is shown as something you need the proper training and/or an inclination for, and it can be as much a spiritual thing of sorts. Reed Richards may be the smartest man alive but he can never really get the hang of even the basics of magic because he's too rigid in his worldview to really accept that it's more than just an unknown branch of science. While Doom may be good at both but he rarely combines them.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MJeff posted:

I could buy that Batman has considered it but thinks he'll go down some bad paths if he learns magic.

Theres a comic where he mentions he doesn't trust it because its all weird dream symbolism logic and he's too left brained.

Then its mentioned he learned exactly one spell from Zatanna and its a spell that dispels magic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

massive spider posted:

Theres a comic where he mentions he doesn't trust it because its all weird dream symbolism logic and he's too left brained.

Then its mentioned he learned exactly one spell from Zatanna and its a spell that dispels magic.

A little ironic given Grant Morrison did point out that Batman has a knack for making snap deductions based on ridiculous trivia and twisty logic from years of dealing with people like the Riddler and the Joker, because he has to when lives are on the line.

Of course the one magic user Batman could probably relate to, or at least appreciate the fashion sense of, is Raven, and her main problem is trying to use less magic because she's literally half-demon and has to control her impulses to avoid ending the world, or at least going all tentacley.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Isn’t Diana magical? She’s not a mutant or a science//tech hero, she’s like an immortal magical being and all of her powers come from magical artifacts. Surely in all their work together that must’ve come up, Bruce is too inquisitive even if he isn’t a Chatty Cathy

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bust Rodd posted:

Isn’t Diana magical? She’s not a mutant or a science//tech hero, she’s like an immortal magical being and all of her powers come from magical artifacts. Surely in all their work together that must’ve come up, Bruce is too inquisitive even if he isn’t a Chatty Cathy

To carry your analogy further using the Contest of Champions class system: Hercules, Thor, and the Immortals are considered "Cosmic" champions in the game, so WW would probably be the same.

She's not magic (Mystic) for sure, even if her artifacts are magic. There was a Justice League episode where someone (Faust?) did some fuckery with Hades which messed up all the magical heroes (Zatanna, Etrigan, Dr. Fate, etc.), and Diana and Hawkgirl were unaffected, so they had to dip down into hell to fix things.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It changes occasionally, sometimes she's just peak Amazon who are generally above peak human performance already and sometimes she has more direct divine heritage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL holy poo poo going into her wiki and discovering that based on certain comics continuity she is a descendant of Ares and can literally mind control anyone who is “a soldier” and also Astral Project. I guess being an immortal god is an entirely different power level than just being a book nerd who studies the spells. She really has a hilarious power suite I was unaware of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
wonder woman is a land of contrasts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In the justice league cartoon wonder woman is a clay statue that's been enchanted by Hades or something. Shes litteraly a clay golem.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Batman typically doesn't use magic because he hates "cheating" in certain ways too. He won't give himself superpowers and stuff even though he easily could - he'd rather do everything with his own body/brain/tech.

Reed is the one who really has huge issues with magic because he's too scientific thinking to be very good at being abstract with magic, although he did learn a little to try and beat Doom one time.

precision posted:

Elfman hasn't been that creative in a long time. Unless he's trying to trump Zimmer again (who had Electro creating the score to the film with his attacks).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Darko posted:

Batman typically doesn't use magic because he hates "cheating" in certain ways too. He won't give himself superpowers and stuff even though he easily could - he'd rather do everything with his own body/brain/tech.

It's always been a cop out ('why doesn't batman get super powers when he is friends with multiple people who could give super powers?' Because writers say so) but I always liked his explanation to Damien(?) where he admits that he wouldn't trust himself with Superman's power. And that he barely trusts himself with his own power sometimes.

It's a lot better than the 'I like to have a challenge' or 'I need to prove that normal humans are good enough'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KittyEmpress posted:

It's always been a cop out ('why doesn't batman get super powers when he is friends with multiple people who could give super powers?' Because writers say so) but I always liked his explanation to Damien(?) where he admits that he wouldn't trust himself with Superman's power. And that he barely trusts himself with his own power sometimes.

It's a lot better than the 'I like to have a challenge' or 'I need to prove that normal humans are good enough'.

I mean, in some continuities Batman can probably match Iron Man if he really tries, and basically has access to giant mecha and powered armour on that level, but he makes a point of only pulling that out for special occasions.

There's a Superman/Batman comic where he ends up with Superman's powers (while Superman loses his), and pretty much immediately goes a bit nuts fighting crime all over the world constantly... and also only at night, which isn't exactly the best idea with solar-powered abilities. Also gets funny as it turns out the Batcave has a spare suit fitted and designed for Superman in case of such an event.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL holy poo poo going into her wiki and discovering that based on certain comics continuity she is a descendant of Ares and can literally mind control anyone who is “a soldier” and also Astral Project. I guess being an immortal god is an entirely different power level than just being a book nerd who studies the spells. She really has a hilarious power suite I was unaware of.

Wonder Woman has been all over the loving place since pretty much the start. Even the whole movie thing with being of divine blood is relatively new.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is loving fantastic and it made me bust out my synth, thank you cartoon I never watched

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Regular show is very good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm 38 years old

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

I'm 38 years old

You are that shows target demographic (kids of the 80s). It technically aired as a CN show but typically right before the Adult Swim block.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 20, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SCheeseman posted:

You are that shows target demographic (kids of the 80s). It technically aired as a CN show but typically right before the Adult Swim block.

Someone is not an 80s kid if they are 5 - 6 years old when the decade ended.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Late 80s early 90s if you want to get all pedantic about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SCheeseman posted:

Late 80s early 90s if you want to get all pedantic about it.

I'm not getting pedantic I'm telling you a 6 year old is taking nothing from the 80s, they are 8 years old when Sonic the Hedgehog comes out. Nuclear Anxiety is functionally gone, they don't remember Regan as president, they barely remember a world where the Information Superhighway doesn't exist in some form (it's fully mainstream by their teens), etc. etc. etc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Media from the 80s didn't suddenly stop existing in the 90s. I'm 36, I remember a lot of what could be considered 80s things from when I was a kid. Nuclear anxiety may have fizzled but I wasn't ignorant of it's prior existence since the media I consumed, most of which wasn't brand new, was filled with it.

But yes, maybe I should have been more specific in order to avoid some pedantic forum poster from well actuallying me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SCheeseman posted:

Media from the 80s didn't suddenly stop existing in the 90s. I'm 36, I remember a lot of what could be considered 80s things from when I was a kid. Nuclear anxiety may have fizzled but I wasn't ignorant of it's prior existence since the media I consumed, most of which wasn't brand new, was filled with it.

But yes, maybe I should have been more specific in order to avoid some pedantic forum poster from well actuallying me.

You didn't actually experience the 80s as a child, which is what an 80s kid means. They don't call kids who were 5 years old when The Matrix came out as "90s kids". I know this is a stupid slapfight here but bud, you completely misused the phrase to mean "when someone was born" and not "person actually grew up in that decade's culture and remembers it". Then you're like "but I remember the Cold War 'cuz I watched War Games" lol. Come onnnnnn.

Being 6 when the 90s started is like THE 90s Kid experience, I literally could not ask for a better example, being 16 - 17 when the Matrix came out...wow! What an experience that must have been.

edit: Imagine a kid born after 9/11 saying "Yeah I was a 90s kid because I watched 90s media"...the Berlin Wall and dissolution of the Soviet Union had an enormous impact on American culture, The End Of History and all that...you simply cannot understand the previous paradigm by consuming media from it, anymore than I (a guy born in the 70s) can understand the 60s. We're all old enough to understand this here.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 20, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Go wag your cane at someone else, granpa

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Changed my mind. I now believe the only people who are entitled to view Regular Show are those who have experienced the existential terror of nuclear apocalypse.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I haven’t been able to get the scene of the Illuminati getting click-clacked out of my head so badly, I started watching The Boys. Recommend to anyone with the same fascination. (Same if you liked Invincible)

e: shut up nerds this is about Doctor Strange lmfao

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 20, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SCheeseman posted:

Changed my mind. I now believe the only people who are entitled to view Regular Show are those who have experienced the existential terror of nuclear apocalypse.

I'm very sorry. You are in your 30s and on this old rear end forum and I thought you would be able to emotionally able to handle a small correction to a poor choice of phrase, rather than going into this very defensive and snarky posture. Again, I apologize for this slapfight.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You were right that I misused the phrase but all that handwringing made it worth it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shut up you nerds no one cares

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SCheeseman posted:

I'm 35, we're not 80s kids lololol.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

precision posted:

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQs5pniZSA

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m 34, born in 88, we are definitively 90’s kids

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm a 2010's kid because I'm a manchild

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m 34, born in 88, we are definitively 90’s kids

I'm 53, born in 68. Y'all nerds need to hush up and git off mah lawn or I'll sic my Airwolf on ya.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m 40 and I identify with 80s cartoons and shows therefore….

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm so 80s i poo poo nintendos

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Culture doesn't suddenly change like a shutter from the 80's to the 90's or any decade as they are largely arbitrary segments of time. The change of culture/attitudes/political sphere are incremental so there is no reason to get over excited and over identify about being an 80's/90's/00's kid or whatever one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

To be an 80s kid, you have to see the ultimate 80s movie, Rocky 4, in theaters.