Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know. Is it bad that someone refers to Sue as having a "world class scientific mind", and my only thought is "Since when?"

Sue's not a dummy, but I've never seen her portrayed as having a particularly keen scientific mind.

She has been generally written to be incredibly intelligent, just not Reedtellagent. Obviously discounting the early 'oh no I forgot I was a woman' days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Is that Ben? I thought it was Bruce Banner.

It's Bruce.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its like the rooms full of 90th percentile scientific minds on earth and then reed waltzes in with his top .1% of science brains in the galaxy

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ImpAtom posted:

She has been generally written to be incredibly intelligent, just not Reedtellagent. Obviously discounting the early 'oh no I forgot I was a woman' days

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its like the rooms full of 90th percentile scientific minds on earth and then reed waltzes in with his top .1% of science brains in the galaxy

OK, cool. Admittedly I don't follow F4 closely, and most of what I remember Sue from she's not well written at all. It's either 60s "Women be shopping and pretending to think, ain't that cute" to "Supermom/Super hero den mother" to "Malice, because of the previous stuff".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

CzarChasm posted:

OK, cool. Admittedly I don't follow F4 closely, and most of what I remember Sue from she's not well written at all. It's either 60s "Women be shopping and pretending to think, ain't that cute" to "Supermom/Super hero den mother" to "Malice, because of the previous stuff".

In the Ultimate F4 series, she was considered a world-leading biologist, her and Reed met at the Baxter building which was originally a school for incredibly gifted teenagers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Fantastic Four were a group that could have starred in a Thunderbirds-esque adventure serial even without superpowers. They were all absurdly competent, they were just all standing in the same room as Reed. If I remember right Ben was a test pilot who could "drive anything" and Johnny was a whiz mechanic/engineer? I might have those mixed up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bruceski posted:

The Fantastic Four were a group that could have starred in a Thunderbirds-esque adventure serial even without superpowers. They were all absurdly competent, they were just all standing in the same room as Reed. If I remember right Ben was a test pilot who could "drive anything" and Johnny was a whiz mechanic/engineer? I might have those mixed up.

Depends on the continuity. In the original I think Johnny tagged along just because he was Sue's little brother and he was sort of the lovely teenager audience insert. I think the explanation was literally that she didn't have any childcare coverage so he had to come with them. Then that got retconned a few times to him being a mechanic, a NASA backup pilot and maybe something else?

I know when they redo the origins in things like the Ultimate universe or the terrible movies they've usually had Johnny also be some kind of gifted kid with a wide variety of aptitudes instead of just 'teenager coming along for the ride'. Much like how Sue became a scientist in her own right instead of coming along because she was Reed's girlfriend.

Reed and Ben were both war heroes from WW2 with Reed as a distinguished scientist and Ben as a test pilot. And they were originally on their space flight to beat the Russians to the moon because people were freaking out about Sputnik

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 20, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Still love that when they wanted to recreate the Supreme Intelligence - a gestalt being powered by the collective minds of tens of thousands of the greatest Kree intellects in history - they did so by using THREE Alternate Universe Reeds :laugh:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Still love that when they wanted to recreate the Supreme Intelligence - a gestalt being powered by the collective minds of tens of thousands of the greatest Kree intellects in history - they did so by using THREE Alternate Universe Reeds :laugh:

How many people/worlds/universes died as a result of using Reeds? :ohdear:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MH Knights posted:

How many people/worlds/universes died as a result of using Reeds? :ohdear:

That depends, were they evil pragmatic Reeds, regular evil Reeds, or Fledgling Reeds who hadn't had the time to develop Reed Richards' rather peculiar morality system.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Tick #2 (1988)

Sonic the Hedgehog #180 (2007)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

That depends, were they evil pragmatic Reeds, regular evil Reeds, or Fledgling Reeds who hadn't had the time to develop Reed Richards' rather peculiar morality system.

Evil Pragmatic, and I think it was actually just two of them? They were the last members of the Council of Reeds.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

SimonChris posted:

Immortal Hulk: Great Power (2020)

I love it when Spiderman surprises people with his science skills.

It's funny that anyone is surprised given that so many Marvel characters gave themselves powers with science skills... speaking of, does anyone have that one bit where the Avengers are surprised at Peter's knowledge and he exasperatedly goes "why does nobody ever remember that I'm also really smart?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s been like twenty years since Spider-Man has been allowed to play with the Avengers, but it’s still fun to show that Spidey has a brain to back up the whatever a spider can.

Spider-Man is turning 60 in August, but it was the last couple decades where he was fully acknowledged on the level of the Avengers and FF. The outcast thing was well played out by then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

It's funny that anyone is surprised given that so many Marvel characters gave themselves powers with science skills... speaking of, does anyone have that one bit where the Avengers are surprised at Peter's knowledge and he exasperatedly goes "why does nobody ever remember that I'm also really smart?"

Well I mean most of them gave themselves powers by accident though. Usually via something that really should've killed them if radiation wasn't just magic in the 60s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

or they know about the magic of TRANSISTORS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

Evil Pragmatic, and I think it was actually just two of them? They were the last members of the Council of Reeds.

That it was only two of them makes it even better. And yeah, from memory they were jerk rear end in a top hat evil Reeds so I shed no tears for them. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

I don't have it but that's a favorite of mine too, it's somewhere in Marvel Adventures Avengers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

I don't have it but that's a favorite of mine too, it's somewhere in Marvel Adventures Avengers

I found it! It's #11

(this is the best quality I could find though)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeesh, snakes on a plane. that feels like a million years ago

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TwoPair posted:

I found it! It's #11

(this is the best quality I could find though)

I have a feeling I know why.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

site posted:

yeesh, snakes on a plane. that feels like a million years ago

The tie-in song has been stuck in my head ever since then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

I always get mad at this because Peter explaining that he'd accidentally webbed his pants to his rear end and couldn't get them off should have immediately made the Avengers go,"Yeah, that's the real Spider-Man alright."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is what gets the Avengers sent to a life-changing Saturday detention

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher #28 (1989)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Maltese Turtle (1993)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bucnasti posted:

I always liked Spidey 2099's reaction to being told about SpOck. "Yeah, that sounds just dumb enough to be true."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Bucnasti posted:

'Wait, are you newspaper Spider-Man?'

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Keen Detective Funnies #18 (1940)

Thanos Quest: Marvel Tales #1 (2021; reprints)

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
When it's done right there is no finer Smug Motherfucker than Thanos in all of comics. That little smirk, that laissez-faire posture with the crossed arms that says "I am not concerned and was never in danger of becoming concerned".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you got to be in the big leagues to make Thanos exert himself at all. If you don't have something akin to the Power Cosmic against Thanos you ain't poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Thanos Quest: Marvel Tales #1 (2021; reprints)

Thanos' strategy for beating this guy (he has the Power Stone from memory) in a fight is absolutely loving hilarious: he wipes out the planet/asteroid they're fighting on so they're floating in the vacuum of space and only Thanos can move, and he offers to help out in exchange for that pretty little stone he carries on his forehead that surely has nothing but decorative value right!?!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It also has a very "The end of Commando" vibe to it.

"Come on the Champion. You don't need to use the Power Gem on me. You have all the strength and skill you need.
You want to kill me with your bare hands!"

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I feel sorry for that guy. Imagine being blessed with a luxurious mane of neon pink hair and then your space-hairline recedes to halfway down your skull.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Libra posted:

I feel sorry for that guy. Imagine being blessed with a luxurious mane of neon pink hair and then your space-hairline recedes to halfway down your skull.

Why do you think he's so angry?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Taika Waititi read the thread title.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Sheesh, they chain him up and still leave his hammer free? Amateurs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
about time the thread delivered

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #19 (1946)

Arkham Manor #4 (2015)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

he's picked up a huge back tat too, looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

MikeJF posted:

he's picked up a huge back tat too, looks like.

I saw a good shot of it and it says "RIP LOKI" between Loki's horns