Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

bmi was originally used for population statistics where it's "good enough" because most people are not athletes but it never should have been applied to individuals for gauging health

Incorrect, most important predictor of overall health

big swole muscles are not great for you either, heart still has to work harder

humans are meant to be lean and mean, we still got that second part down tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

was biosphere collapse

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

born in the biosphere collapse, molded by it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

Incorrect, most important predictor of overall health

big swole muscles are not great for you either, heart still has to work harder

humans are meant to be lean and mean, we still got that second part down tho

i mean i'm not talking about juiced up bodybuilder/strongman dudes, most of the fit (ie lean and mean) people i know have bmi in the "overweight" category vOv

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
biosphere prolapse

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
biosphere capri pants

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Cry-o-Sphere Whinelapse

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
if you live in america your concept of lean is outskewed by everyone else being very large

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Koirhor posted:

if you live in america your concept of lean is outskewed by everyone else being very large

if you live in USA your concept of lean is very likely to be about drugs, whether cough syrup or diet pills

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

do you think the models accounted for the Ukraine war?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
bmi does not accurately represent the fact that i am 20 pounds of undigested taco bell value meals at all times

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Born on a mountain, raised in a cave

My daily dose of microplastics all that I crave

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
It is something like week number seven since I have last went into work. Which wouldn't be too out of the usual for me, but because I am the most masochistic obedient manual-labor worker you will ever meet my boss is usually okay with that given I accomplish more work than 5 other people in the same amount of time when I actually do show up to work. My girlfriend with whom I live with has been unemployed for the past year since finishing her QA course, before we both realized it was a massive waste of time and money in our desperate attempt to escape poverty and landing a job in the glamorous world of High-Technology. The news this week said that the "hi-tech bubble" in our country "is probably bursting right now" as many are laid off and recruiting is even more tightly controlled.

I have been steadily going into extreme debt racking up bills and smoking not-even-fun amounts of weed, washing it all down with 12% alcohol beer cans to obliterate my senses as efficiently as possible (and to drown out the sounds of my partner sobbing uncontrollably in the other room). I tell myself this is fine, because all my life I have spent working 250 hour months and am usually able to off-set the debt accumulated during my burnt-out phases because of the insane overtime.

My girlfriend dreams of family. Of kids. She is losing her mind because of me because all I do is read this loving thread and play video games, chain smoking joint after joint after beer can before passing out in front of the computer every single day, all loving week. Every day is the same.

I do not have the strength to bring a child into this world and watch him grow in the same hell I live in. I know the value of hardship in this life, but I would be literally condemning him to slow suicide. My concerns fall on deaf ears. My partner thinks Im exaggerating. That I am Too Online, despite barely ever posting or even having any type of online friend. She doesn't understand that we will probably never live past our 50s or 60s, and even if we did, we'd wish we hadn't. She has seen me crawl out of my despair and work my loving rear end off before, but this time - I cannot continue pretending poo poo is going to be fine. I cannot continue putting my hopes and faith in a glimmer at the end of this tunnel because there is none. The tunnel collapsed a long time ago.

I find myself not even bothered by death anymore. Chaos begins to seem appealing to me. I started doing petty poo poo out of spite, like using insane amounts of single use poo poo at work (coffee cups, plastic stirrers, anything and everything disposable). Throwing away half the trash bag roll when taking out the trash because gently caress it all to hell and you can never loving find the right sweet spot to tear a bag out of the roll. Throwing away garbage out of the window of my car because I just dont give a poo poo anymore and deeply detest this place. This world. Funny because I used to go out of my way to pick poo poo up from the beach whenever I came to relax not only because it was the right thing to do, not only because glass shards can injure kids and poo poo, but also because I just wanted to not lay down in the sand surrounded by garbage. Not anymore lmao, I just stick my cigarette butts into the sand now. I might throw my empty beer can in the trash, might just leave it on the beach because I dont loving feel like going out of my way to throw it away.

This continuous meltdown feels really uncanny, I can feel myself becoming a piece of poo poo, but at the same time, it is getting more difficult to care. Everything I had believed in seems to be eroded, corrupted or just straight up irrelevant in the face of the end of it all. This loss of meaning has really cool and interesting impacts on your mental wellbeing Im sure you can tell, but it has even cooler impacts on your core beliefs. Protecting minorities? Having sympathy for the disadvantaged? Helping your neighbors? Subscribing to any kind of notion of patriotism or even the very loving concept of borders? Striving for success at work? Believing in economic systems? Saving up for a house?

Everything becomes much simpler when you know the party is going to end in the next few decades. All bets are off. I can truly just speedrun my bucket list at this point. Go into insane debt, go on vacations I cant afford to catch glimpses of this world before it's gone forever, come up with schemes to gently caress over my coworkers and my boss and my neighbor for my personal advantage & gain in literally any fashion (only makes sense to do so, we're all going to kill one another soon anyway), experiment with all the drugs I can, always do the bare minimum of work required, buy the latest VR tech and gear on loans to play out my fantasies and then do all that poo poo in real life with hookers or my girlfriend if she's still around. Do insurance scams by breaking my limb in the street and suing my local council. Swindle old people out of their money because their generation are mostly the ones who contributed the most to this extinction, it's the least they deserve. Use the money to buy huge playgrounds for cats and adopt at least 63 of them because animal life is more sacred than human even during these end times.

I dont know how one can reconcile both that climate change is real and still maintain some kind of personal life goal like work/school/aspiration/moral, without them either being hardcore cog dis experts or straight up not understand fully that they are not likely to live out their average life expectancy in any capacity. I dont even care at this point about being on some kind of "list" or whatever just because it feels like the internet and media is so totally saturated with this feeling in one form or another, and that everyone just sorta "knows" what is coming but refuses to talk about it out loud, that none of it truly matters beyond getting caught by algorithms or mods because we still have to maintain the pretenses of normality.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lake Mead has now dropped below 1,050.00 ft. Only 5 of the 17 turbines at the Hoover Dam are able to operate at this level.
The next milestone is 950 ft., below which the dam will be unable to produce power at all

from the r/collapse thread, at this rate its got 3 years left

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Lake Mead has now dropped below 1,050.00 ft. Only 5 of the 17 turbines at the Hoover Dam are able to operate at this level.
The next milestone is 950 ft., below which the dam will be unable to produce power at all

buy some poland springs and dump it in there

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Tony Tone posted:

It is something like week number seven since I have last went into work. Which wouldn't be too out of the usual for me, but because I am the most masochistic obedient manual-labor worker you will ever meet my boss is usually okay with that given I accomplish more work than 5 other people in the same amount of time when I actually do show up to work. My girlfriend with whom I live with has been unemployed for the past year since finishing her QA course, before we both realized it was a massive waste of time and money in our desperate attempt to escape poverty and landing a job in the glamorous world of High-Technology. The news this week said that the "hi-tech bubble" in our country "is probably bursting right now" as many are laid off and recruiting is even more tightly controlled.

I have been steadily going into extreme debt racking up bills and smoking not-even-fun amounts of weed, washing it all down with 12% alcohol beer cans to obliterate my senses as efficiently as possible (and to drown out the sounds of my partner sobbing uncontrollably in the other room). I tell myself this is fine, because all my life I have spent working 250 hour months and am usually able to off-set the debt accumulated during my burnt-out phases because of the insane overtime.

My girlfriend dreams of family. Of kids. She is losing her mind because of me because all I do is read this loving thread and play video games, chain smoking joint after joint after beer can before passing out in front of the computer every single day, all loving week. Every day is the same.

I do not have the strength to bring a child into this world and watch him grow in the same hell I live in. I know the value of hardship in this life, but I would be literally condemning him to slow suicide. My concerns fall on deaf ears. My partner thinks Im exaggerating. That I am Too Online, despite barely ever posting or even having any type of online friend. She doesn't understand that we will probably never live past our 50s or 60s, and even if we did, we'd wish we hadn't. She has seen me crawl out of my despair and work my loving rear end off before, but this time - I cannot continue pretending poo poo is going to be fine. I cannot continue putting my hopes and faith in a glimmer at the end of this tunnel because there is none. The tunnel collapsed a long time ago.

I find myself not even bothered by death anymore. Chaos begins to seem appealing to me. I started doing petty poo poo out of spite, like using insane amounts of single use poo poo at work (coffee cups, plastic stirrers, anything and everything disposable). Throwing away half the trash bag roll when taking out the trash because gently caress it all to hell and you can never loving find the right sweet spot to tear a bag out of the roll. Throwing away garbage out of the window of my car because I just dont give a poo poo anymore and deeply detest this place. This world. Funny because I used to go out of my way to pick poo poo up from the beach whenever I came to relax not only because it was the right thing to do, not only because glass shards can injure kids and poo poo, but also because I just wanted to not lay down in the sand surrounded by garbage. Not anymore lmao, I just stick my cigarette butts into the sand now. I might throw my empty beer can in the trash, might just leave it on the beach because I dont loving feel like going out of my way to throw it away.

This continuous meltdown feels really uncanny, I can feel myself becoming a piece of poo poo, but at the same time, it is getting more difficult to care. Everything I had believed in seems to be eroded, corrupted or just straight up irrelevant in the face of the end of it all. This loss of meaning has really cool and interesting impacts on your mental wellbeing Im sure you can tell, but it has even cooler impacts on your core beliefs. Protecting minorities? Having sympathy for the disadvantaged? Helping your neighbors? Subscribing to any kind of notion of patriotism or even the very loving concept of borders? Striving for success at work? Believing in economic systems? Saving up for a house?

Everything becomes much simpler when you know the party is going to end in the next few decades. All bets are off. I can truly just speedrun my bucket list at this point. Go into insane debt, go on vacations I cant afford to catch glimpses of this world before it's gone forever, come up with schemes to gently caress over my coworkers and my boss and my neighbor for my personal advantage & gain in literally any fashion (only makes sense to do so, we're all going to kill one another soon anyway), experiment with all the drugs I can, always do the bare minimum of work required, buy the latest VR tech and gear on loans to play out my fantasies and then do all that poo poo in real life with hookers or my girlfriend if she's still around. Do insurance scams by breaking my limb in the street and suing my local council. Swindle old people out of their money because their generation are mostly the ones who contributed the most to this extinction, it's the least they deserve. Use the money to buy huge playgrounds for cats and adopt at least 63 of them because animal life is more sacred than human even during these end times.

I dont know how one can reconcile both that climate change is real and still maintain some kind of personal life goal like work/school/aspiration/moral, without them either being hardcore cog dis experts or straight up not understand fully that they are not likely to live out their average life expectancy in any capacity. I dont even care at this point about being on some kind of "list" or whatever just because it feels like the internet and media is so totally saturated with this feeling in one form or another, and that everyone just sorta "knows" what is coming but refuses to talk about it out loud, that none of it truly matters beyond getting caught by algorithms or mods because we still have to maintain the pretenses of normality.

Which country are you in? Bro you are suffering from depression. All the alcohol you're drinking has hosed your GABA receptors and they are making you feel like total poo poo because they are hyperactive when you aren't drinking alcohol and that causes feelings of doom, despair, anxiety, hopelessness, etc...You need to stop drinking now. Then you need to get the gently caress off the internet for a while. Stop reading this thread for the love of god lol. Maybe stop smoking weed too. Then you need to start exercising. Go hiking in the most natural place around you. It will help you get good brain and you will notice there are still insects around. They won't be around for much longer so it's you're duty as a conscious being to see them and appreciate them right loving now. Go take a nap in the grass and sun (check yourself for ticks after lol). Watch some bees getting nectar from some flowers, they still exist. Also don't litter dude wtf lol.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I understand where you're coming from, I hope you can find a path to enjoying life again. Your feelings are valid and it's ok to be depressed, even for a while sometimes. I hope you feel better man, poo poo sucks but there's still fun to be had in life sometimes and maybe you'll find your way back to it eventually.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tony Tone posted:

You should tell your girlfriend that you don't want kids

Also I'm sorry you are going through this friend. If it helps, I just got a vasectomy because I too cannot bring a child into this hellworld.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Tony Tone posted:

I do not have the strength to bring a child into this world and watch him grow in the same hell I live in.

you sound like you might be depressed and not just because of climate change, but this right here is the most important thing. I wouldn't condone littering or loving people over or whatever else you're trying to justify, but you should always maintain at least some small bit of self-worth because you haven't procreated

As far as feeling demoralized about climate change and losing hope in living a decent life, this probably isn't the best thread to ask for encouragement or support because meaning is something you have to make up yourself, but that was always the case even before you became aware that our civilization doesn't have a future. Either get busy living or get busy...you know what never mind, bad quote

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Listen to this guy:

IAMKOREA posted:

Which country are you in? Bro you are suffering from depression. All the alcohol you're drinking has hosed your GABA receptors and they are making you feel like total poo poo because they are hyperactive when you aren't drinking alcohol and that causes feelings of doom, despair, anxiety, hopelessness, etc...You need to stop drinking now. Then you need to get the gently caress off the internet for a while. Stop reading this thread for the love of god lol. Maybe stop smoking weed too. Then you need to start exercising. Go hiking in the most natural place around you. It will help you get good brain and you will notice there are still insects around. They won't be around for much longer so it's you're duty as a conscious being to see them and appreciate them right loving now. Go take a nap in the grass and sun (check yourself for ticks after lol). Watch some bees getting nectar from some flowers, they still exist. Also don't litter dude wtf lol.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I can second the alcohol thing actually. It only makes you temporarily high and in the long run will make you a nervous, hungover sad ball of anxiety. To maintain a good enough haze to really not care you've got to drink enough that you'll eventually wind up in the hospital, and believe me the pain you'll feel at that point is absolutely not worth it

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAMKOREA posted:

Because exercise gives good brain, drat. It's called GABA.

Oh, delusion fuel!

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Others will offer other takes, but my dude - only smoke that weed outside, in nature (or the best you can get). It will help a little bit.

and drop the bottle. but you know that already, yes?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's not really "delusion fuel", it just helps you function. The moment you were born you were doomed to fade out into an infinite void, biosphere collapse just means that the end of your personal timeline is coming somewhat sooner than you thought it would. There's absolutely nothing* you can personally do to alter either outcomes, so you learn to accept the outcome and learn to live with the time you have. Knowing how to get your brain to cooperate helps with that goal!

Tony Tone is very clearly suffering from a raging substance abuse problem and major depression. That's not in any way going to help him enjoy the time he has, so he needs to get that fixed first and foremost.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

The moment you were born you were doomed to fade out into an infinite void, biosphere collapse just means that the end of your personal timeline is coming somewhat sooner than you thought it would. There's absolutely nothing* you can personally do to alter either outcomes

Thanks, I know

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the white hand posted:

Thanks, I know

Why did you stop reading there, the rest of the post is what you needed to read lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Koirhor posted:

I know we'll just keep moving water in from other places which is pretty lol, but Hoover Dam outright being unable to supply power is some pretty crazy doomsday poo poo.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Drinking alcohol nightly definitely isn't good, when I was getting blackout every night I felt like poo poo and it was only when I was 5150'd and started feeling better once I wasn't able to drink for a week that I realized what was happening

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tony Tone I hope you don't take anything anyone is saying on attack on you. Everyone just wants you to be happy, sure the world is going to absolute poo poo in every possible way. It's not your fault and you shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Yeah I cut way down on drinking and started exercising and it made a huge difference

I try to find pleasure in the moment (you gotta have patience for this after you quit drinking because all your pleasure receptors are fried, I like to imagine it's my happy router rebooting and it's as slow as Comcast)

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Why did you stop reading there, the rest of the post is what you needed to read lol

"need to" see this is it. In my personal and professional experience of the world of mental health, the single most useless feature is the people who think their words are going to fix the badbrain. It's rear end-garbled victorian lecturing and self-satisfaction with the thinnest veneer of scientism and false clinical authority

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

empty whippet box posted:

Tony Tone I hope you don't take anything anyone is saying on attack on you. Everyone just wants you to be happy, sure the world is going to absolute poo poo in every possible way. It's not your fault and you shouldn't have to suffer for it.

^^^ a lot of the posters itt have been exactly where you are Tony, you can make it through

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

I know we'll just keep moving water in from other places which is pretty lol, but Hoover Dam outright being unable to supply power is some pretty crazy doomsday poo poo.
Too doomsday for Fallout, even

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ain't got no beans to grow some food
Heat wave's got you in a rioting mood
Don't Worry
Be Happy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the white hand posted:

"need to" see this is it. In my personal and professional experience of the world of mental health, the single most useless feature is the people who think their words are going to fix the badbrain. It's rear end-garbled victorian lecturing and self-satisfaction with the thinnest veneer of scientism and false clinical authority

Lol okay

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

empty whippet box posted:

many loving Biosphere Collapse posters have been on this road Tony Tone - we love you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQht2yOX9Js

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(somebody speaks honestly about their feelings) oh god! change something! do something! just don't say the screaming inside words outside. button yourself up so we don't have to redirect you!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Oh yeah get the gently caress out of the house

Even if you just drive to a park or something and stare

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
words for the depressed are super useful and don't feel like blame at all, everybody keep pushing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Like yeah we're hosed. But you also don't need to be in that much pain. You don't deserve that and it's not necessary