Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

explosivo posted:

live service-esque campaign

Is there a person alive outside of marketing people who see these words and get EXCITED about a video-game? :dawkins101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, what a way to crash my interest for the game from "I'll probably buy it" to "maaaaaybe I check it out if it receives near-universal praise?" with a single news blurb.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kibayasu posted:

As an idiot who actually enjoyed a lot of Borderlands 2’s dumb jokes even I think Borderlands 3 was loving painful a lot of the time. Like not even dumb jokes you can recognize as jokes but don’t find funny it’s just incredibly boring talking. It’s like they took to heart the loud complaining about BL2’s humor and took it out but didn’t replace it with anything.

It’s a good thing BL3 is extremely fun to actually play.

Yeah, same. I enjoyed how mad the previous games were - they really went all-in on the weird stuff and I found that more appealing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Did the FF7 remake port get sorted out? And is it worth it at the current discount price on epic? FF7 is one of my favourite games because I played it when I was 11 and I'd like to revisit Midgar!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah poo poo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Did the FF7 remake port get sorted out?

it's only had one patch since launch, with some pretty sparse notes, so i don't think so

quote:

Subtitles now default to English
The resolution is now stabilised for frame rates of 90 and above
Various other issues have been rectified

the performance issues can be rectified somewhat by forcing it to run in DX11 mode rather than DX12

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
$9.99 Chaos Slayer Season Pass Best Value

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Welp that's my interest in pre-ordering/zero day purchasing killed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fortunately I forgot until just now that the game will be out day 1 on gamepass so I won't need to actually pay to see how hard they lean into the GAAS stuff.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

As someone who has never played Destiny 2, can someone briefly explain why is that campaign format bad?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Angry Lobster posted:

As someone who has never played Destiny 2, can someone briefly explain why is that campaign format bad?

They deleted it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Angry Lobster posted:

it’s a whole bunch of treadmill loving, refer to the thread title

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Same, this is the most :goonsay: headline

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, depends on how they implement it, but it usually means that there's a long endgame grind with recycled maps. Plus a lot of time-limited events, so you need to log in and do certain tasks within that week or whatever if you want to get the exclusive items and cosmetics.

E: on the plus side, there should be a lot of updates and new content IF the game is sufficiently popular and earns decent money from microtransactions. Or it could be abandoned and the servers quietly shut off after a couple years. Either could happen! It's live-service! Until it isn't!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 20, 2022

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They deleted it
This is not an exaggeration for those unaware, more than half of Destiny 2's paid content, including the base campaign, is simply no longer playable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

it’s convoluted and confusing between yearly expansions, 3-month seasons, a metric shitton of microtransaction-only content that rotates in and out, and other things that don’t quite fit into any category, and the exact value proposition of many of the things you can buy is extremely vague.

More pertinently, it’s a live service game that depends on constant updates except the devs still haven’t landed on a model and a pace that they can deliver on without friction after 8 years of making destiny. Meanwhile fatshark’s previous game launched as a buggy, broken mess and they proved they had no idea how to adjust things without breaking something else or to get basic bugfixes to stay in the code without being regressed by the next patch. there is absolutely no way they can pull this off as presented by that article unless vermintide 2->darktide is as much of a reversal in fatshark’s competence as vermintide 1->2 was.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Depending on which part of Destiny they're taking cues from it might not be the end of the world but it does not fill me with confidence to hear them compare the game to a notoriously microtransaction-laden FPS as inspiration for the direction of their game. Vermintide 2 launched in a lovely state too and required a lot of work to get to a good place without loving up something more in the process so it's a legitimate concern imo :shrug:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it’s convoluted and confusing between yearly expansions, 3-month seasons, a metric shitton of microtransaction-only content that rotates in and out, and other things that don’t quite fit into any category, and the exact value proposition of many of the things you can buy is extremely vague.

More pertinently, it’s a live service game that depends on constant updates except the devs still haven’t landed on a model and a pace that they can deliver on without friction after 8 years of making destiny. Meanwhile fatshark’s previous game launched as a buggy, broken mess and they proved they had no idea how to adjust things without breaking something else or to get basic bugfixes to stay in the code without being regressed by the next patch. there is absolutely no way they can pull this off as presented by that article unless vermintide 2->darktide is as much of a reversal in fatshark’s competence as vermintide 1->2 was.

Thanks, this sounds horrifying. I'm not filled with confidence that Fatshark can pull off something so ambitious without end up as a huge mess.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

This is a meaningless headline that doesn't seem to mean much of anything other than "I dunno, we'll be updating the missions?"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I mean, depends on how they implement it, but it usually means that there's a long endgame grind with recycled maps.

Doesn't that just sound like Vermintide? I guess they added the roguelite mode thing...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did anyone here play deadcraft the new zombie Farming Sim game with no marketing at all?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Serephina posted:

I logged into my Humble account for the first time in a year or so, and outa curiosity looked back at my purchase history; my first purchase was Humble Indie Bundle 9, containing these gems:

-Trine2 Complete
-Mark of the Ninja
-Brutal Legend
-FTL
-Fez
-Bastion
and a few others.

Christ, what a loving amazing collection, for 5 USD in 2013. How the mighty have fallen.
i've said it a lot in the last couple of months, but I think that Fanatical has overtaken Humble with their build-a-bundles. Usually priced fairly or super silly (like 5 games for $3), and that lets you ignore the chaff. Also they actually snag recently made games while Humble is still often dishing out indie games from a few years ago in their Choice subscription

like the build-a-bundle they launched this week is 1 for $1/5 for $3/10 for $5 and it has:
Horizon Chase Turbo
Clustertruck
Detention
Ittle Dew 2+
Yooka-Laylee & the Impossible Lair
Smile for Me
Outcast Second Contact
Party Hard
XIII (the classic version and not the borked remaster)
Dex
Tropico 5

you can just ignore the lovely games and get what you want instead of being stuck with them. while the games listed aren't super recent games either, i've gotten recent ones like Streets of Rogue, Time Loader, Song of Farca, Subway Midnight, Radical Rabbit Stew, El Hijo, They Always Run, Rainbow Billy, Amazing American Circus, The Big Con, and others in bundles they've had the last few months. i've gotten more off my wishlist through fanatical than humble which.. ultimately leaves me very dissatisfied with my Humble Choice sub!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 20, 2022

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's a scale for these sort of games with Left 4 Dead and Destiny on opposite ends.

Ideally, they're mostly Left 4 Dead with some persistent bullshit for long term goals.

You never go full Destiny.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Serephina posted:

I logged into my Humble account for the first time in a year or so, and outa curiosity looked back at my purchase history; my first purchase was Humble Indie Bundle 9, containing these gems:

-Trine2 Complete
-Mark of the Ninja
-Brutal Legend
-FTL
-Fez
-Bastion
and a few others.

Christ, what a loving amazing collection, for 5 USD in 2013. How the mighty have fallen.

Humble Bundles and indie games had such a wild symbiotic relationship in those days.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this seems like the closest thing to a general pc gaming thread so i'll ask in here. i recently bought a laptop with a 3050 ti and a 120hz display, which is the first high-refresh rate pc display i've ever owned, and i'm getting extreme screen tearing in a lot of, but not all, games. sekiro at 60fps is really bad, gta 5 at 60 or 120 is also pretty bad, ultrakill at 120 tears if vsync is enabled in-game but not if it's disabled, which seems pretty weird. strangely hitman 3 gives me no trouble

i'm not sure how to go about fixing this or figuring out why it's happening. i've tried enabling global vsync in the nvidia control panel (both "on" and "fast" settings) but that doesn't seem to make a difference. is there something i should know that i don't about how vsync interacts with high refresh rates? i would rather play every game at 60fps than look at screen tearing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it would be good to see the original quotes from the devs instead of the article paraphrasing them because the destiny comparison specifically could have been made up by the article, and the expectation is just that fatshark will add to the game’s story with major updates, which would be fine. either way, their track record means nobody should be hyped for darktide until it’s proven to be different.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Quick dumb question but one that's more divisive than "rangers or celtic" where I'm from. Vsync on or off?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Son of Thunderbeast is posting Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman over in PYF comics and today's installment came with a mid-2000s commentary on Steam. Some of you may find it interesting to look back at how it was then:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Steam is the online delivery and anti-piracy client that Valve used to distribute Half-Life 2. Even people who bought the retail version of HL2 had to create a Steam account and verify their copy of the game. Valve cracked down on pirated copies, banning some 50,000 illicit accounts.

Steam has been a bit controversial, however. Many gamers complain about having to log in to Steam every time they want to play, but I personally love the system. Valve has released new content, patches, upgrades, models, and maps nearly every week since the game was released, and even provided gamers with the the wonderful surprise of an HL2 Deathmatch game.

Posing notes: Again, Frohman is the only ragdoll, the others are live, in-game characters. As the cops rushed in and the citizens started running around, I'd switch off the AI, which would freeze everyone in their tracks. Then I'd move around, get the shots I needed, and pose Frohman. Turning AI on again, everyone would come to life, and change positions, and I'd freeze them again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Quick dumb question but one that's more divisive than "rangers or celtic" where I'm from. Vsync on or off?

The correct answer is "Does lower input latency matters more than visuals for this game?" If yes then off, if no then on.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rangers, personally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

rangers, personally

That's it you've made an enemy FOR LIFE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also why would a hockey team be playing a basketball team

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

The correct answer is "Does lower input latency matters more than visuals for this game?" If yes then off, if no then on.

Which is which? I’ve never changed this setting

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Whichever option doesn't cause the physics to break.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They deleted it

Yeah and the sad thing is (for me at least) I really liked the D2 story so when I tried to come back and play through some of the story to catch up it was literally impossible and you just get thrown into the new stuff with 0 clue wtf is going on.

I eventually watched a bunch of YouTube videos which explained everything but it just pissed me off more because I had missed out on those cool stories with no way to play them.

The D2 new player experience is incredibly poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've followed this guide w/r/t V-Sync when using a G-sync monitor. tl;dr turn it on in the nvidia control panel but leave it off in game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

Which is which? I’ve never changed this setting

Vsync on adds slightly more input latency but removes screen tearing, Vsync off is slightly lower input latency but with screen tearing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The bottom line is that you should never need vsync unless you notice screen tearing. Or, as an outlier scenario, if you need to cap the framerate for some reason and there's no other way to do it. I've also been able to fix stuttering in certain games by either turning vsync on, or turning it off, depending on the game. I've never been able to figure out why sometimes I get screen tearing and sometimes I don't, there seem to be multiple factors involved.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've also literally never noticed any difference in input lag between v-sync being on/off so I usually treat it the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sounds like VSync On is the way to go, giving players another excuse option that they totally did hit that button what the gently caress game