Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

NFL predictive metrics are loving dumb lmao

Every year is a completely different year. Teams frequently go from worst to the playoffs.

(Last year wins)/2+4 was by far and away the most predictive metric under the old 16 game schedule .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bird in a Blender posted:

They’re not saying the packers are better than the rams, they just improved more than them. I don’t agree with the rankings though. Although the Bears might be right.

No, they’re saying the Packers are better than the Rams.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Even with a data driven model backing it I usually put almost no stock in preseason power rankings. I was curious if there was an equivalent from last year and this is the best I could find, one from after Week 1 of last year. I highlighted the playoff teams and marked the 10 worst teams in draft order.

Whatever the model is, it looks like it's pretty good at picking the bad teams, but not as good at picking the good teams. Both 1 seeds and the loser of the SB are in the bottom half (but the Packers and Titans did both lose). And of course you can't really predict injuries so there's always going to be some randomness.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 19, 2022

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It basically seems fine with a weird outlier here and there but I don't see how it's more predictive than a Dan Hanzus Power Ranking column.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't wanna give too much detail cause it'll turn into a PII violation pretty fast if I do, but at work today I got a piece of returned mail meant for a former Lion. So I got to go into the system and update his address! Exciting times. :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/WesHod/status/1526622003909873665
https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1526620873762947072

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Joe Barry does seem like he’s working out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jordan Love is going to be waiting a long time.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

3 weeks until someone caves in Rodgers's shoulder isn't that long :v:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Because Rodgers is basically broke now that crypto crashed?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
he'll get to play after Rodgers does a last boy scout to pay off his crypto debts

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Because Rodgers is basically broke now that crypto crashed?

:lol:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i highly, highly doubt rodgers is broke from the crypto crash

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Does Rodgers do Crypto.

I think Brady does it at least shills it

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does Rodgers do Crypto.

I think Brady does it at least shills it

Yeah he took a portion of his 2021 salary in bitcoin and spoke at a crypto conference this offseason.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Rodgers definitely does crypto.

Brady seems like the type of guy to shill it for cash.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Rich people do crypto. The volatility is something that they can benefit from very easily as eating some losses won't impact their portfolios tremendously unless they're overexposing themselves.

Brady has NFTs and is co-founder and co-chair of https://autograph.io/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dubious posted:

i highly, highly doubt rodgers is broke from the crypto crash

Yeah, the meme stocks and right wing social media platforms he backed also played a part

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I doubt the Lions finish with a better record than the Bears, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But the Bears are still a better team lol.

Lions are pretty bad at the skill positions but their line should be really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they sniffed 8-9 wins. They were decimated with injuries last year.

Bears are abysmal and are tanking for Stroud.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Niwrad posted:

Lions are pretty bad at the skill positions but their line should be really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they sniffed 8-9 wins. They were decimated with injuries last year.

Bears are abysmal and are tanking for Stroud.
Is Amon-Ra St. Brown for real? I only know that he put up great numbers for fantasy football late last year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is nothing that makes me think the Bears are tanking for a QB lmao. It is the most absurd narrative.

I guess if Fields is still dogshit this year with theoretically better coaching, and a more sane offense, then obviously you look at replacing him. But Poles/Eberflus/Getsy don't strike me as someone who is itching to replace Fields or tanking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's also very funny how comically underrated Mooney is.

Do I think he's a "True #1" receiver, no but he still had 1k yards in that dogshit offense last year.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

gloom posted:

Is Amon-Ra St. Brown for real? I only know that he put up great numbers for fantasy football late last year.

I think Cephus was starting to pop off too before he got injured

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Seriously I don't understand why people are acting like the Bears will somehow be worse on offense. Did nobody watch last year? I feel like their floor is equally as inept as last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

There is nothing that makes me think the Bears are tanking for a QB lmao. It is the most absurd narrative.

Niwrad is convinced that the Bears have already decided that Fields is a massive bust, despite him being hurt last year, playing behind a tissue paper offensive line and having no running game to speak of to back him up, and playing for a coaching staff that seemed hellbent on getting him killed on the field because everyone knew they were losing their jobs after the season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Honestly, these last couple of years broke a lot of our brains.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
To be fair it's not like they've done all that much to stop the line from being just as bad this year

and the receiving corps is worse

idk whether dropping the nagy playbook will be enough to make up for it all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lol compare Pringle and Allen Robinson from last year.

With how Allen Robinson was playing/being used you could make the argument the recieving room didn't get much worse.

Now Allen Robinson is almost assuredly better than anything Pringle has shown, but as far as production last year yeaaaah.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If anything, Nagy unintentionally tanked trying to save his own rear end. It was pretty bad last year. Mooney can be a #1. Just not the stereotypical 8 foot tall guy with massive hands. What he lacks in height he makes up for in speed. Robinson was a non factor last year and the only major change on offense will be a new scheme and Fields getting 1st team reps and the start 100% of the time. Like he should have last year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I want it to be known, I don't think the Bears are going to be good or anything, unless Fields takes like 3 steps forward or Getsy is the second coming, and then he's gone to be a head coach lol.

But how bad they are feels like it's being drastically overstated.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Timby posted:

Niwrad is convinced that the Bears have already decided that Fields is a massive bust, despite him being hurt last year, playing behind a tissue paper offensive line and having no running game to speak of to back him up, and playing for a coaching staff that seemed hellbent on getting him killed on the field because everyone knew they were losing their jobs after the season.

So why didn't Poles get him any meaningful help for any of these issues?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

Mooney can be a #1. Just not the stereotypical 8 foot tall guy with massive hands.

This isn’t what most #1 receivers are. Most of the top guys are ~6’0”. Mooney’s problem isn’t his height it’s that he’s about 25lbs too light.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 20, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol I have no confidence in Eberflus, dude looks like a total pud.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I want it to be known, I don't think the Bears are going to be good or anything, unless Fields takes like 3 steps forward or Getsy is the second coming, and then he's gone to be a head coach lol.

But how bad they are feels like it's being drastically overstated.

Same. They won't be good, but that doesn't preclude them from being better than last year.

I think it is overstated that the Bears didn't do enough. They drafted a whole bunch of offensive line help, they clearly seem to like the rookie tackles drafted last year. The Bears have young skill players that they clearly want to see if they can develop. They also have a very good one two running back random in Montgomery and Herbert, guys that the previous regime always seemed to ignore because they prefer having Fields do 7 step drops with no protection.

The Bears are banking on Getsy being a good play caller and Fields being their quarterback of the future. If they are right on both counts, they are probably a top half of the league offense, which would be a huge improvement. If those things aren't true, they'll have a whole offseason of tape and continuity of staff and roster to figure out where they need to improve. It really is the best plan long term for the Bears being successful and I don't get why people are so down on them.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So why didn't Poles get him any meaningful help for any of these issues?

Because the cap was hosed and it needs to be unfucked if they want to build for long term success. They've been quite transparent about it.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sataere posted:

Because the cap was hosed and it needs to be unfucked if they want to build for long term success. They've been quite transparent about it.

And i think they did a really good job of that so far. As things stand right now, the bears will be nearly 100mil under the cap going into 2023.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
They're not just dealing with cap hell, but also with the impact of the trades they had made, and the lack of draft capital. I don't think they have it in them this year to be a top-half offense, even if things go extremely well. I think their receiver group is extremely raw. But getting the o-line back to decent always needed to be the first step, and they've made progress there. The hole they were in was a lot larger than people think, and it's going to take a few seasons to climb out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears addressed the offensive line by losing their best tackle who was a 41 year old mummy and a competent guard and replaced them with a backup guard playing center, a ryan pace draft pick with a bad back who looked awful in limited playing time and then by drafting a bunch of guys on day 3 who if we're lucky maybe one guy will see the field.

I think the national pundits who are shrieking that the bears have BETRAYED justin fields by not doing anything but aquiring wide receivers and are WASTING HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT are annoying (who loving cares, if the bears actually have a good quarterback under any circumstances then throw a party) but I also think that it's a little silly to think the bears who have had a good offense for one year in my entire life are going to fix their offense made out of special teams guys and fourth wide receivers because of some magical scheme wrought by the guy who was aaron rodgers's quarterbacks coach. That's the exact thinking we had about Nagy coming in and I am very wary about schemes in the NFL being able to cover for talent.

The Bears need to eat poo poo because somehow they are the only team in the NFL affected by the salary cap and had no draft picks which is fine and understandable and they'll be in a much better position next year, but I think that they will be very bad this season.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 20, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Getsy might suck at play calling or whatever.

But the offensive "system" they are installing is an insanely QB friendly one. As it's like generally specifically designed around the strengths and weaknesses of the QB.

Shanahan's/LaFleur's basic offense is an insanely simple offense with simple reads and actions that build off of the run(the Bears offenses strength) that is designed to make it bone dry simple to play QB in it.

The benefit of having Aaron Rodgers(and why Jimmy G has always been a problem in Niners land) is that if the basic offense gets stopped or you need to score quickly, Aaron Rodgers is the king of just making poo poo happen. While Jimmy G is not that.

I don't think this is a magical scheme will save the Bears situation. I think this is more the Bears will have a basic sane scheme (not unlike they did when they first had Trubisky, and they just ran a simple rear end offense for him that was successful) Before Matt Nagy decided he had to be the smartest guy in the room.

Know what you do when you have a bad pass blocking o-line, run the ball and run play action off those formations. Run some goddamn screens plays. Throw a goddamn slant.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/jdavhill/status/1527677237931155457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Apparently there's an incomprehensible NFT / Cryto thing going on at the Vikings' bird killing dome

https://twitter.com/NFTbark/status/1527667219227877379