Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Number always go up.

It will probably continue to go up as people start to flee weather, the Iowa/Illinois/Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin group of states currently lead the nation in "going to get least turbofucked by climate change" projections.

Anyone that's lived in northern Illinois the past 20 years can probably feel that the summer and winter seasons have grown milder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm curious how the census bureau figures out we were undercounted so much.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Winters are milder except the Polar Vortex extreme cold events are much more common.

Aprils are grayer than I remember, too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Around here (northeastern few counties) last summer it felt like it was constantly in the 90s and we were in a drought- even the invasive scrubby weeds were getting burned up

hope this summer isn't a repeat- I'll take humidity over watching everything slowly die over the course of the summer

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Marie Newman has to be slightly annoyed.

Illinois looks like the only blue state to get hosed though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So we lost a congressional seat for nothing? Nice.
We better be getting adjusted federal monies with this correction.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I'm sure the Chicago Tribune is busy working on a series of corrections to their editorials about all the people fleeing Illinois.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There was a Tribune reporter on Twitter today asking to talk to people who had moved here since 2019 so, maybe!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol we're not getting that Congressional seat back for a decade (or longer if a Republican is president in 2030)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pretty sure the initial census results showed all the population loss happening down state, and the Chicago area actually gaining population.

In either case, I saw a CNBC article earlier this week showing Chicago as one of the top 10 places people are moving to, and it’s the first time it’s been in the top 10 since something like 2015.

But our high Illinois taxes! :jerkbag:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

xzzy posted:

Anyone that's lived in northern Illinois the past 20 years can probably feel that the summer and winter seasons have grown milder.

I only had to run my snowblower four times last winter.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

It's me, I'm one of the people coming back to Illinois.

Actually I moved here in 2022, but I wanted out of red state hell and move closer back to family.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I moved here in 2019 because I wanted to live in a state governed by the big man JB Pritzker

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't think I signed up for the zuck bux my memory is awful how do I check?

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I got an email confirmation with the subject "Confirmation of receipt of your online Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation class action claim" for mine.

Still waiting on those Mark marks though. My wife got hers. :(

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

HootTheOwl posted:

844-799-2417

Message says hold times are very long.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Well just got my wife's check, so that's both of them for us. Suck it, Zuck.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got mine (and I could have sworn I signed my wife up for one too).

There were two brown envelopes, same size and color, in the mail. But the other one was a bill from my electric coop…which they never use brown envelopes for. Those bastards tricked me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JBPritzker/status/1528070422624878593

often skeptical of "it's genetic" but maybe it really is genetic

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Badger of Basra posted:

often skeptical of "it's genetic" but maybe it really is genetic

What, the hair? That is some pretty great hair.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well the wife and I both got our ZuckBucks.

I was seriously expecting it to be like five bucks when I first heard about it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got mine yesterday but when I went to deposit it via my bank's mobile app it said I had already deposited it and refused. Good thing I have this week off from work so I can go to a local branch and sort it out... always somethin'...

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 23, 2022

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Quote =/= edit...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Cattail Prophet posted:

Big LOL @ the Bailey ad that's clearly trying very hard to say Make Illinois Great Again without actually using those four words in that order. Seems like a bad plan; plenty of people that would be turned off by it are still going to notice, and I don't think the magic spell to activate the chuds works if you don't use the exact words.

Plus, uh, even as lovely as Bailey is he might have considered how it would go if he encouraged his idiot flock to go around saying MIGA MIGA MIGA.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If you are a central or southern Illinois resident, expect your electricity rates to jump up.

This is from April but local news is starting to talk about the rate increase.

https://capitolfax.com/2022/04/27/c...y-price-spikes/

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If you are a central or southern Illinois resident, expect your electricity rates to jump up.

This is from April but local news is starting to talk about the rate increase.

https://capitolfax.com/2022/04/27/c...y-price-spikes/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/05/18/keeping-illinois-nuclear-plants-open-saving-some-customers-237-a-year.html

quote:

At the end of April, the Illinois utility Commonwealth Edison filed documentation with the Illinois Commerce Commission, a local regulatory agency, stating it would provide a credit of 3.087 cents per kilowatt hour starting on June 1, through May 31, 2023.

Makes me wonder how much they expect wholesale electricity prices to be going up that the credit is that much. But with natural gas prices soaring, prices are going to be back at the early 2000s levels this summer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thanks for the replies: Some how I got my check despite
Moving last month
Not getting the email saying the check was on its way.

I assume this just means I'm on the ground floor for their next data mining class action.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I just saw an ad calling Irving a super liberal for thinking Trump is an insane racist.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, the R primary is devolving into only calling each other liberals because they do not have any plans or solutions to the problems that they are angry about.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, the R primary is devolving into only calling each other liberals because they do not have any plans or solutions to the problems that they are angry about.

Well to be fair a lot of what they are angry about, i.e massive voter fraud, are non-issues.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Is there a specific reason all the candidates are so fixated on term limits? It seems like it shows up in almost every non-attack ad. In theory I probably agree that term limits are good, but I'm assuming there's some nefarious purpose behind it here.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is there a specific reason all the candidates are so fixated on term limits? It seems like it shows up in almost every non-attack ad. In theory I probably agree that term limits are good, but I'm assuming there's some nefarious purpose behind it here.

Term limits would allow lobbyists to basically control everything even more than they already do. With no veteran lawmakers in the legislature, lobbyists become the only ones who can show rookies the ropes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lager posted:

Term limits would allow lobbyists to basically control everything even more than they already do. With no veteran lawmakers in the legislature, lobbyists become the only ones who can show rookies the ropes.

This, but even more than they do now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Maybe an age based limit so we're not ruled by a bunch of ancient liches who first came to power in the 70's

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Maybe an age based limit so we're not ruled by a bunch of ancient liches who first came to power in the 70's

This I would support, but sadly we live in a hellscape where it would get thrown out by the courts.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think republicans are obsessed with it because of guys like Madigan, even though he’s not in office anymore. Dude held onto his spot for decades and they hated him.

I’m not 100% opposed to term limits, but only if it was something like 20 years. This is a decent work around to get septuagenarians out of office without making it an age thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, term limits benefit Republicans’ wealthy donors as they can use their money to influence the political process more effectively.

It’s not a terrible idea but it often comes from a very disingenuous place.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would say a 20 year or so term limit would suffice.

It'd prevent complete entrenched power for like 50 years going to one dude but also the institutional knowledge wouldn't be hosed with lobbies running over green members

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cattail Prophet posted:

They're the lesser party in a machine state. They want term limits because its hurts the other party's machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The Constitution has always set age limits for how old you had to be to hold office and said that this age is too young. I do not see why you could not set an age limit for being too old in the same respect.

Also, term limits should not be needed because elections are so regular but we have a population that likes “consistency” more than anything else.