Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get restless legs constantly and have since I was a kid, and have got to the point where I am just constantly twitching my legs a lot of the time because the motion alleviates the ache, but yeah if you have a lot of pillows then building a pile of them at the bottom of the bed and resting your calves on them I find does help. Sometimes I also pull my armchair back to the bottom of the bed and put my legs over the back of it, and sleep in this weird half-on-bed half-over-chair position. Compression can help too but I have massive legs so I have never found a compression sock that I could actually feel. Resting them on the chair back works though cos you actually feel the pressure which does help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

OwlFancier posted:

I get restless legs constantly and have since I was a kid, and have got to the point where I am just constantly twitching my legs a lot of the time because the motion alleviates the ache, but yeah if you have a lot of pillows then building a pile of them at the bottom of the bed and resting your calves on them I find does help. Sometimes I also pull my armchair back to the bottom of the bed and put my legs over the back of it, and sleep in this weird half-on-bed half-over-chair position. Compression can help too but I have massive legs so I have never found a compression sock that I could actually feel. Resting them on the chair back works though cos you actually feel the pressure which does help.

I'm trying to picture this armchair arrangement and it sounds horribly uncomfortable, you must be part cat. I'm gonna give the elevation a try but I'm a side sleeper so not sure how I'll get on with that.
You ever seen a doctor about this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

End of your bed, armchair back against it, lay on bottom half of bed, put legs over back of armchair. If you have a footboard on the bed you could also just use that with a blanket over it or something.

It would be uncomfortable but it is more comfortable than having leg pain when you want to go to sleep.

Never brought it up to the doctor cos it's just how it's been since I was young, it's the main way I experience tiredness, honestly. Legs hurt time for bed.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

OwlFancier posted:

End of your bed, armchair back against it, lay on bottom half of bed, put legs over back of armchair. If you have a footboard on the bed you could also just use that with a blanket over it or something.

It would be uncomfortable but it is more comfortable than having leg pain when you want to go to sleep.

Never brought it up to the doctor cos it's just how it's been since I was young, it's the main way I experience tiredness, honestly. Legs hurt time for bed.

Yeah fair enough. It's a relatively new issue for me, I am not a fan

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
You can just drink until you pass out, altho that has its own disadvantages, I guess :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For ultimate old person points, I am pretty sure I've told this story before. But all my interesting anecdotes are in the rear view mirror, all I have is my stories dagnabbit. :corsair:

Same brother, same.

My probable told many times here story was I remember being on the bus home from uni 1995/6, full of students, and someone had a mobile go off.
Girl behind me goes 'I would never get one of those Id die of embarassment if it went off in a public place like this'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I still listen to new music and eg Igorrr (and gutted I couldn't get to any of their UK shows) plus quite a lot of metalcore (We Blame the Empire etc), anything with Laure Le Prunenec (vocalist with Igorrr until late last year), Bloodywood.

Plus a sprinkling of various non-metal-based tunes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Same brother, same.

My probable told many times here story was I remember being on the bus home from uni 1995/6, full of students, and someone had a mobile go off.
Girl behind me goes 'I would never get one of those Id die of embarassment if it went off in a public place like this'.

dom jolly made a lot of money from that phenomenon

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Look, I love rock music. Guitar music. It's most of what I listen to & always has been. But if you watch a BBC4 documentary on punk or on the summer of love or when Dylan went electric or when Ziggy Stardust happened, any of these lionised moments in music history you see the same talking heads who wrote for NME or Melody Maker at some point in time & gosh THIS music that came out when I was between 13 & 20 was life changing & revolutionary & the most exciting thing ever & you just roll your eyes so hard that they fall out of your skull because the clear revelation is not that they were living through a uniquely magical time, the revelation is that being a teenager is exciting & you're unlikely to feel like that ever again you old fart.
I think this is probably my favourite paragraph I have read, ever. No notes.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm 35 (born in 1986). 9/11 happened a few weeks before my 15th birthday.

I think there's definitely something to the Gen-Y/Millennial definitions with regards to technology and how you experienced it when you were a kid. My family were rather mixed when it came to tech - my mum was a very early adopter of home computing and had an old green-text-screen Amstrad as far back as I can remember, and my sister and I learned how to play text adventure games and rubbish flight sims on DOS and Windows 3.1 when most of our peers didn't have PCs at home. But we weren't allowed games consoles and my parents were very against the idea of the kids having our own computers - there was 'the computer' which was for the family's use. We got dial-up FreeServe internet in the late 90s and I had MSN Messenger, but most of my computer use was at school. I don't feel that computers and The Internet really began to figure significantly in my life until I went to university in 2005 - certainly that was the period when my actual life and my 'online life' (previously confined to being an awful nerd writing Star Wars fiction and playing Red Alert, Age of Empires and Total Annihilation multiplayer with my friends from school) began to sort of merge.

My partner is five years younger than me and sometimes it's really striking how very different her experience of technology and communication was when she was younger. She did almost all her work at secondary school on Word and Powerpoint, and most of the research was online. Until I was in sixth form we had to turn in everything handwritten (with fountain pens!) and most research was done either with books in the school library, online via Netscape Navigator or Lycos in the school computer room or at home on Encarta. Heck, for most of my time at school there was 'A Computer Room' while hers had at least one computer in every classroom. She never had to save work on a floppy disc. She always had a mobile phone when she was in secondary school, while I can regale her with :corsair: tales of the olden days when my friends and I would mutually agree on Friday where and when we were going to meet in town the following day, and I would just get the bus into Winchester with no way to contact anyone beyond having some coins for a phone. In my teens my parents bought my sister and me pre-paid BT Phonecards so we'd always be able to call someone if we were out - to my partner I might as well have been talking about putting pennies in the slot, pressing Button A and asking the operator to "please connect me to Portsmouth 4567".

Plus, I was exactly the right age to graduate from university precisely as the world we'd been brought up to believe in throughout the 1990s went up in smoke in the credit crunch. Almost to the second, it felt like. "Work well, study hard, go to uni, get a degree - any degree - and a world of aspirational white-collar middle-class property-owning prosperity will be yours...here's your degree certificate...oh, and none of that will happen now. Soz."

By the time my partner was in sixth form she and her cohort already knew that the world sucked, they were going to be underpaid and undervalued and would probably never own any sort of home and there was nothing they could realistically do about it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it very was funny because the mobile-telephone was very much larger of a version than a normal mobile-telephone and he spoke on the mobile-telephone very much louder than people generally spoke on their mobile-telephones

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Drooan/status/1527703074927681536

these hoes aint loyal

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

d'yeh remembuh

right

d'ye remember them cds right

they 'ad the big plastic case around 'em?

what wuh tharallabou', eh!?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

it very was funny because the mobile-telephone was very much larger of a version than a normal mobile-telephone and he spoke on the mobile-telephone very much louder than people generally spoke on their mobile-telephones

The joke doesn't really work now that it's only slightly larger than any of the current models of phone

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Years ago I read someone complaining that you can't really hang up on people in the same way you used to with a handset or a clamshell, and it's one of the few things I sort of agree with.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Years ago I read someone complaining that you can't really hang up on people in the same way you used to with a handset or a clamshell, and it's one of the few things I sort of agree with.

Yep, no slamming the phone down in disgust!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've said on multiple occasions that if they make me use a flimsy plastic headset instead of a proper phone receiver so I can slam it down after every call like I'm in an episode of the sweeney I will quit

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Be the iphone being smashed into a desk that you want to see in the world, imho.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also can't awkwardly hold a headset in between my ear and my shoulder while I type like a proper loving Barry Business

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can buy plastic handsets that plug into your headphone jack and just give you an old fashioned phone to hold.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Be the iphone being smashed into a desk that you want to see in the world, imho.
We will know when the technology has fully assimilated when the letters page of the Daily Mail mentions someone putting their finger through the screen and sending Jeremy Corbyn the bill.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think you can buy plastic handsets that plug into your headphone jack and just give you an old fashioned phone to hold.

What the gently caress is a headphone jack?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

It's a thing you put on your ears to listen to things in private, and don't call me jack

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dabir posted:

It's a thing you put on your ears to listen to things in private, and don't call me jack

:discourse:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

It's the end bit that you stick in the hole.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Pistol_Pete posted:

You can just drink until you pass out, altho that has its own disadvantages, I guess :shrug:

I find drunk sleep is utterly unrefreshing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Compression can help too but I have massive legs so I have never found a compression sock that I could actually feel. Resting them on the chair back works though cos you actually feel the pressure which does help.

There are some velcro-style compression hosiery that might be helpful.

Also there's quinine if you've not tried it before.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1527726289527898113

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1527748570073423872

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 20, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's the end bit that you stick in the hole.

I think you've mixed up Richer Sounds with his cousin, Sounder Rich.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's no accounting for the dirty minds ITT :shocked:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Plus, I was exactly the right age to graduate from university precisely as the world we'd been brought up to believe in throughout the 1990s went up in smoke in the credit crunch. Almost to the second, it felt like. "Work well, study hard, go to uni, get a degree - any degree - and a world of aspirational white-collar middle-class property-owning prosperity will be yours...here's your degree certificate...oh, and none of that will happen now. Soz."
My now 20 year old son looked at us the other week and asked, "What WAS it like in the nineties?" It's the same relation I have to the sixties - I was born in 69, which was very nice of course.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Strom Cuzewon posted:

:golfclap:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OzyMandrill posted:

I discovered that I can get OpenXCom running on my sons old & unused Kindle fire.
My toilet times are going to go through the roof.

Hell yes this rules

e; Haven't even been very active lately and you all still bring up sounding. I'm so proud!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Lungboy posted:

I find drunk sleep is utterly unrefreshing.

Oh god, this. Please don't drink yourself into oblivion. I did this when I was a teacher lol. Couldn't sleep cos of the stress, so just drank myself into a stupor and woke up at 4am drenched in sweat, hungover as gently caress, and still completely shattered.

Ask me about the time I had to stop for a piss while hungover as hell on the side of the motorway and then fell down the embankment. Actually, don't ask me about that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Also there's quinine if you've not tried it before.

I used to drink bitter lemon for fun but I never noticed a difference, or is it, like, lots of quinine?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Ask me about the time I had to stop for a piss while hungover as hell on the side of the motorway and then fell down the embankment. Actually, don't ask me about that.

Feels like I have all the details tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I used to drink bitter lemon for fun but I never noticed a difference, or is it, like, lots of quinine?

I'm pretty sure you don't want to take lots of quinine.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Gotta love just how absolutely loving corrupt our country is. Do you think other people see it or do you think they honestly believe that we're not absolutely loving corrupt despite all the evidence to the contrary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't want to take lots of quinine.
Yeah tonic water sold in stores contains just about enough to glow interestingly. You can buy red cinchona bark to make your own tonic water that's good for quinine stuff, but unless you're careful it's also bad for quinine stuff. Quinine has too narrow a therapeutic margin for how inaccurate plant stuff can be and cinchonism is nothing to gently caress about with.

It's good for making drinks bitter though, if you like bitter drinks.